PDA

View Full Version : IYO Spurs' Most Effective Unit(s)

Cloud786
07-23-2015, 07:47 PM
For this upcoming season, I think Pop's most difficult task is finding the best 2 units to play the most minutes together. Watching the Heatles and OKC after Harden, you find that their respective coaches will play one of their stars at a time (in the second and third quarters) to maximize touches and rest. But with all the star power that the Spurs have amassed this offseason, what lineups would you prefer to see, and why?

My 2 are

Parker - Mills
Green - Mcallum
Manu - Kawhi
LMA - Diaw
West - Duncan

Why?

In the past, Parker and Manu have always played separately. This is because they are our only 2 playmakers/ball handlers, and with the amount of high pick and rolls that are ran in our system, you always need one or the other on the floor at all times. So why did I put them together? Well for one, I think that at this age, it's too much of a grind on them to carry a workload offense single-handedly. We saw that last year, Parker couldn't do it effectively, and Manu could do it only for small bursts. Imo, putting them together keeps them fresh. If you in layman's terms, take turns on offense, assuming that the one not partaking in the PnR can knock down the open corner 3, then you have yourself a pretty sweet 1-2 punch. Executing the PnR with LMA would allow them to either dish it to him, finish at the basket, or make the pass to the open man. Green will be Green, and West will be a great compliment to this unit.

Secondly, the reason why I put Parker and Manu together, is so that Kawhi can finally be featured in the offense. At times to me, he defers too much to them and doesn't take it upon himself to be Batman (or he simply just gets frozen out of the offense). In this lineup, Mills can be a spot up shooter, Mcallum the traditional point guard, and with Diaw being his passive self, I see Kawhi being force fed even more than he was last year. He will have a chance to develop his playmaking skills, and his offense will grow a few more wrinkles (basically do to him what the Pacers did for Paul George). Another reason why I have this specific lineup, is that I honestly don't like the idea of Duncan and LMA playing together (defensively for stretches, obviously we have to close the game with both of them). Only because our roster has no true center (I doubt Boban plays when everybody is active) outside of those two, and it'd be best for us to have one on the floor at all times rather than gamble with one of West and/or Diaw (turd towers all over again). Plus, a lot of the Spurs sets end in 4 down or 5 down. It'd be nice to dump it off to LMA or Duncan when the play breaks down, instead of West or Diaw due to a size mismatch. You'd technically be wasting this luxury if you played both together.

Now I'm not suggesting Pop go full hockey substitutions and run iso's left and right, and I understand we run a motion offense where everybody gets to touch the ball, but I'm just trying to express what I think is best for the team now and for the future. Hopefully I'm wrong and we see another rendition of the 2014 Spurs, but it will truly come down to how Pop manages our rotations. :toast

SpursFan86
07-23-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm just excited to see some small-ball lineups with Kawhi at the 4 and Aldridge at the 5. Something like Parker/Green/Manu/Kawhi/Aldridge or Patty/Green/Manu/Kawhi/Aldridge would be deadly IMO.

Robz4000
07-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Depending on Manu and Tony's level of play, the regular SL or:

Manu
Green
Kawhi
Duncan
Aldridge

If LMA shits the bed:

Manu/Tony
Green
Kawhi
West
Duncan

Basically their best lineups will always include Danny, Kawhi, and Tim.

Spurtacular
07-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Line-up 1

Jimmer
Manu
Kawhi
Aldridge
Duncan

Line-up 2

Mills
Green (Manu)
Diaw
West
Bogan

First line-up; cos I think it'll be nice to see Jimmer play with a will facilitator like Manu finally in his career. Jimmer and Manu can both bring the ball up and play in the pick n' roll. They can both knock down open threes that they create for each other as well as Kawhi on drive and kicks. Also, it'll be fun to see Jimmer and Kawhi play together.

Second line-up has the three shooting of what has traditionally been our two best three shooters (Though I'd probably substitute Manu for Green if I wanted more offense and less defense). It has Diaw facilitating them or high-low with West. Also, it'll be fun at least initially to see Bogan in a big line-up like that to see what he can do.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Lineup 1:
Parker
Ginobili
Leonard
Aldridge
Duncan

Lineup 2: (if playing Matt Barnes)
Parker
Ginobili
Green
Aldridge
Duncan

spurraider21
07-23-2015, 08:14 PM
cant have a "most effective lineup" without kawhi in it...

100%duncan
07-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Most effective line-ups will always include Green and Kawhi

Cloud786
07-23-2015, 08:24 PM
If I could run 5 for 48 minutes, it'd be Manu/Green/Kawhi/LMA/Duncan, but I'm speaking from a rotations/substitutions perspective, in terms of flow of the offense and balance on defense, specifically in the second and third quarters of games (and if listing two, no repeats. Assume Pop resembles something like last year when the entire bench mob/Foreign Legion entered and played together)

apalisoc_9
07-23-2015, 08:26 PM
everything is really situational based.

If Team needs quick Points ASAP and down 15 in the 4th

Patty
Manu
Green
Leonard
Aldridge

If Team needs to defend

Simmons
Greens
Leonard
Aldridge
TD

Maintain flow

Parker
Green
Leonard
Aldridge
TD

Overall I think the best team to use late in the fourth

Parker/Manu if Tony is detrimental and playing poorly
Green/Manu if Green is on a cold streak and there's only one perimeter superstar
Leonard in all situations
Aldridge in all situation
TD in all situations, save when the team is trying to make a 3 point stop or down huge and need a three point barrage

Dro210
07-23-2015, 08:31 PM
This is just something I personally wanna see, but:

Manu
Simmons
Danny
Kawhi
and any of Timmy/LMA/DWest

random21
07-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Great post, a lot will depend on the matchup...
Pop is gonna either win a lot of games because of great decision making with his lineups or fuck things up...

Vs OKC, there is a chance they put a durant at pf, throwing off an aldridge/Duncan lineup... How will pop react to this?
Same vs a cavs/gs team that can go small...

Spurs can easily go with kawhi at pf or just stick with aldridge/Duncan or diaw/aldridge lineup.... We will see, that is some exciting stuff...

T_L_P
07-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Manu/Patty/Green/Kawhi/Duncan would be great imo.

Baseline21
07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
The tandem I want to see is Manu and Aldrige. Did u see Manu dropping dimes to Tiago, pick and slide down or fake the pick and toss over the top but a lot of times Tiago blew to many easy lay ups. Yes I know the Manu turnovers but Manu is still are best passer and takes a lot of chances. Manu coming back off a iffy year, means Manu on a mission. Go back to Manu when he said he was terrible in the finals when Ray hit the shot. He was turning it over like every pass but he said over the summer he might have to retire over his skills diminishing. He's like fuck that shit and I'm not retiring over that stinky series. He fuckin prove the haters wrong on the following season. A pissed Manu is a good Manu. I just hope Manu and Aldrige get on the same page before season ends. In Manu we trust! The Manu bounce pass between the legs of the opponent is coming back. I don't think I seen one all of last year but I could be wrong.

ducks
07-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Let's see them on court together first

ceperez
07-23-2015, 10:49 PM
The tandem I want to see is Manu and Aldrige. Did u see Manu dropping dimes to Tiago, pick and slide down or fake the pick and toss over the top but a lot of times Tiago blew to many easy lay ups. Yes I know the Manu turnovers but Manu is still are best passer and takes a lot of chances. Manu coming back off a iffy year, means Manu on a mission. Go back to Manu when he said he was terrible in the finals when Ray hit the shot. He was turning it over like every pass but he said over the summer he might have to retire over his skills diminishing. He's like fuck that shit and I'm not retiring over that stinky series. He fuckin prove the haters wrong on the following season. A pissed Manu is a good Manu. I just hope Manu and Aldrige get on the same page before season ends. In Manu we trust! The Manu bounce pass between the legs of the opponent is coming back. I don't think I seen one all of last year but I could be wrong.

Agree. Manu to replace Parker on the starting five. Makes for much better defense too!

The problem though is the 2nd team is too small with both Mills and Parker in the backcourt.

100%duncan
07-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Pop is gonna either win a lot of games because of great decision making with his lineups or fuck things up...

Vs OKC, there is a chance they put a durant at pf, throwing off an aldridge/Duncan lineup... How will pop react to this?

Spurs can easily go with kawhi at pf or just stick with aldridge/Duncan or diaw/aldridge lineup.... We will see, that is some exciting stuff...

LMA will kill durant in the post and has the quickness to guard him on the other side

Nathan89
07-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Simmons
Green
Kawhi
Diaw
Aldridge

Not most effective but entertaining.

tbdog
07-23-2015, 11:52 PM
LMA will kill durant in the post and has the quickness to guard him on the other side

Spurs have two small ball killers in Diaw and West. Aldridge cannot and will not gaurd durant. I would put Diaw or West at the 4 but get them to guard the worst perminter player like Roberson or Singler, and have Leonard or Green to guard Durant. Then on offense I punish whoever is guarding West/Diaw because there will be no one in their small team that could.

Besides, I think Kanter is a big hole for their team. Who will he guard? TD or LMA. Both will destroy him. I think Thunder will be forced to play small.

SAGirl
07-25-2015, 01:43 PM
I think we don't see much of Kawhi at the 4, bc his defense on the perimeter is deadly. Its not that he can't play at the 4 IMO, it is actually just that you want him playing full perimeter where he is just a terror. The team has several awesome to good options at the 4 too, whereas the 3 and perimeter defense is where you really really need him.
Any lineup with Kawhi will be beasting. After that I think you want Duncan for his rim protection and LMA for the defensive attention he will command, it will just open things up for whoever is playing alongside him. LMA is also a beast rebounder, and that was an area where we suffered last year at times, particularly when Kawhi was injured. I could see Pop staggering LMA and Kawhi. Beyond that, Pop going scientist mode. I personally look forward to seeing everyone play.
I can't give you a prediction on the MEU bc there are a lot of guys I haven't seen play, but any lineup with Kawhi and LMA = Beast.

xellos88330
07-25-2015, 01:48 PM
The one that scores more points than the other team.

buttsR4rebounding
07-25-2015, 02:08 PM

I don't believe Durant could guard either Tim or LA in the post. He'd likely be in foul trouble in the first quarter.

DAF86
07-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Mills, Green, Leonard, Diaw, Duncan.

ceperez
07-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Mills, Green, Leonard, Diaw, Duncan.

Let's say Spurs start with this lineup, which has not only firepower but passing, then they follow with this second unit:

Parker
Ginobili
Simmons
Aldridge
West

talk about utter demolition of the opponent!

Yuixafun
07-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Mills Manu Simmons West Diaw

Got sparkplugs on both sides of the ball, in Mills and Simmons

2 playmakers in Diaw and Manu

2 girthy guys in West and Diaw

3 shooters

2 slashers...

TD 21
07-25-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm just excited to see some small-ball lineups with Kawhi at the 4 and Aldridge at the 5. Something like Parker/Green/Manu/Kawhi/Aldridge or Patty/Green/Manu/Kawhi/Aldridge would be deadly IMO.

You'll almost never see that lineup, for three reasons . . .

1 - They have four top three bigs. It'll be difficult enough getting them all representative minutes; particularly West.

2 - They lack an established, quality fourth wing. The more Leonard plays PF, the more minutes Anderson/Simmons/whoever ends up being the final wing, will have to play.

3 - They prefer to play big, mainly because they think the system runs better that way. In recent seasons, despite the lack of a quality fourth big and having four quality wings they've almost always stayed big.

alfahdlan
07-25-2015, 07:43 PM
PARKER
GREEN
LEONARD
DIAW
ALDRIDGE
VS
MILLS
GINOBILI
ANDERSON
WEST
DUNCAN

Yuixafun
07-25-2015, 07:46 PM
PARKER
GREEN
LEONARD
DIAW
ALDRIDGE
VS
MILLS
GINOBILI
ANDERSON
WEST
DUNCAN

Dang that should be an exhibition game

barbacoataco
07-25-2015, 07:55 PM
David West- With his size and mid-range jumper, and the Spurs passing, he will score.
LMA- should paid well with West. Together they have more than enough size.
Leonard- MVP
Green- could have a really big season, developing offensive skills
Parker- less scoring, more of a traditional PG distributing the ball

Duncan subs for West/LMA
Diaw subs Leonard or when they go small
Ginobili subs Green, of when --
Party mills is subbing for Parker

That's your 9 man rotation

Axegrinder
07-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Let's say Spurs start with this lineup, which has not only firepower but passing, then they follow with this second unit:

Parker
Ginobili
Simmons
Aldridge
West

talk about utter demolition of the opponent!

:lol Ya LA will be coming off the bench

dgspursforlife
07-26-2015, 04:36 AM
David West- With his size and mid-range jumper, and the Spurs passing, he will score.
LMA- should paid well with West. Together they have more than enough size.
Leonard- MVP
Green- could have a really big season, developing offensive skills
Parker- less scoring, more of a traditional PG distributing the ball

Duncan subs for West/LMA
Diaw subs Leonard or when they go small
Ginobili subs Green, of when --
Party mills is subbing for Parker

That's your 9 man rotation
The one thing I can absolutly guarantee is that Duncan won't be coming of the bench in any meaningful game

barbacoataco
07-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Duncan will start. But I think West and LMA will play well together. They're both big men who draw their defender away from the basket, which is good for spacing.

T_L_P
07-26-2015, 06:42 AM
Duncan will start. But I think West and LMA will play well together. They're both big men who draw their defender away from the basket, which is good for spacing.

Like dgspursforlife said, the West/LMA combo could have a +10000 pt differential and LMA/Duncan could have a -10000....Duncan still isn't coming of the bench in any meaningful game or crunch-time situation. It's the way it is.

Cklbmk
07-26-2015, 04:09 PM
The one thing I can absolutly guarantee is that Duncan won't be coming of the bench in any meaningful game

Remind me what happened with golden state a couple years back?

Mugen
07-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Patty/Manu/Green/Kawhi/Aldridge is gonna be a monster lineup to defend tbh

thousandth
07-26-2015, 08:17 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2015/lineups/
Since Parker-Manu-Kawhi-Boris-Tim lineup was outscored by 6.6 points last season I'd rather play Parker with Green and Patty with Manu, and not sit Kawhi and Danny at the same time.

Parker-Green-Kawhi-Aldridge-Tim

Patty-Manu-Kawhi or Danny-Boris-West

Patty-Manu-Kawhi or Danny-Adridge-West