PDA

View Full Version : David West, Dark Knight of the Post

tatteredprince
07-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Guys,

i thought of starting a thread dedicated to David West, seems to me he is "forgotten" amidst the hoopla around the other newcomers

In David West, the Spurs have the "Enforcer" that could ultimately lead them to the Promised Land! (he will be crucial come playoff time)

Hope more discussions center around him, his talents and possible contributions to the Spurs this season

Here is a nice video to start things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvd_POT5A2g

Proxy
07-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Forgotten? He was the biggest surprise of the offseason

Kurik
07-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Jimmer's thread is getting more attention lol.

tatteredprince
07-26-2015, 12:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHyTGhxv_xk

mbass
07-26-2015, 12:29 PM

WE are really fortunate to have him.

boutons_deux
07-26-2015, 12:35 PM
I'll never forget how West and Paul @New Orleans pushed the Spurs to 7 games. Seemed like West couldn't miss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3405018

steeledl
07-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Jimmer's thread is getting more attention lol.

Thats because there is disagreement about what he is or could be.

Everyone agrees david west was an absolute steal and we're lucky to have him.

hater
07-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Imo is besarse West el driver. Mobutu is errores soy Hill IMO

hater
07-26-2015, 02:08 PM
:lmao Spanish autocomplete.

I was saying nobody is worried about West cause he will deliver no doubt.

daslicer
07-26-2015, 02:19 PM
I remember calling him MJ West in the '08 playoffs because his fadeaway jump shot was unstoppable much like MJ's fadeaway. It drove me nuts seeing this guy hit that many fadeaways in the '08 series against the Spurs.

gambit1990
07-26-2015, 02:25 PM
really glad to have him.

barbacoataco
07-26-2015, 02:54 PM
I really think he will impress a lot of people next year. He was a top 10 player in the league for defensive rating and defensive win shares in 2013 and 2014. He will get open looks next year and he will make shots. Coming off the bench with Ginobili and Diaw he will be tough with the mid-range jumper.

RD2191
07-26-2015, 02:57 PM
OP is by far the shittiest of the new posters.

littlecoyotecoin
07-26-2015, 03:33 PM

No, he has somewhat been forgotten in my own mind, not that I'm not super happy to have him, but because of the depth at his natural position. The 1, 2, 3, and 5 discussions are all more fluid and interesting discussions. We have the 4 on lock down. In that he is an undersized insufficient replacement for Tiago at the 5, that brings him into the discussion there, as a negative. But, at the 4, he's going to be a guy coming in to curb stomp a dead guy. Angry, mean, and cruel, but just overkill.

barbacoataco
07-26-2015, 04:05 PM
David West has wingspan of 7' 4.25" and standing reach of 9' 0.5" which make him like a 6' 10-11" in effect. In addition he is really strong and can't be pushed around. He isn't really undersized for today's NBA as a 4 or 5.

The_Klaw
07-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Can't wait to see him and Boris operating in the post with the second unit :hungry:

Kidd K
07-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Thats because there is disagreement about what he is or could be.

Everyone agrees david west was an absolute steal and we're lucky to have him.

Yep, this. Also, West signed right after Aldridge so it didn't get as much attention because of that. If we just signed West today this forum would be exploding with "lolNBA" threads.

Tbh, the David West signing is the best one we've made probably ever. 1.5m for David West? What the fuck? lol.

Spurtacular
07-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvd_POT5A2g

Great, so we signed Carlos Boozer after all. Dude called and one on his first four makes. One was generously rewarded with a foul call.

Dex
07-26-2015, 05:50 PM
David West is one of those players you love to hate when he is on the opposing team...because you wish he was on your own. I've wanted him in silver and black since the days he was ripping us apart in the 2008 playoffs in New Orleans.

Now that they are teammates, I wonder if anyone will remembered how he told his teammates to go at Bonner EVERY. TIME. :lol

lefty
07-26-2015, 05:50 PM
TEAM LEADER David West !

TheGreatYacht
07-26-2015, 05:59 PM
RIP Blake Griffin, tbh

spurraider21
07-26-2015, 06:29 PM
none of these videos are from the 14-15 season

the first one was posted in 2012 :lol

i love david west but he's 35

Seventyniner
07-26-2015, 06:34 PM
I really think he will impress a lot of people next year. He was a top 10 player in the league for defensive rating and defensive win shares in 2013 and 2014. He will get open looks next year and he will make shots. Coming off the bench with Ginobili and Diaw he will be tough with the mid-range jumper.

Being with the #1 defensive team likely inflated his defensive win shares somewhat. That said, he is at the very least a slightly above average defender. You can't have the #1 defense with a sieve at the PF position. A solid-plus defender with an automatic midrange J at the PF position is an incredible luxury for a coach like Pop to have.

Spur|n|Austin
07-26-2015, 06:35 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250471&highlight=david+west

littlecoyotecoin
07-26-2015, 06:39 PM
David West has wingspan of 7' 4.25" and standing reach of 9' 0.5" which make him like a 6' 10-11" in effect. In addition he is really strong and can't be pushed around. He isn't really undersized for today's NBA as a 4 or 5.

First, I was not attempting to imply he was not strong, or could easily be pushed around. I assumed that goes unsaid. But, apparently we have to say David West is a strong guy.

Average 6’ 10.0” 6’ 11.2” 7’ 3.0” 9’ 1.6”

height without shoes, with shoes, wingspan, and standing reach, respectively...

West is 6'8.25", 6'9.25, 7'4.25", and 9'.5"

He is above average in only one category, wingspan, standing reach being more important for rim protection, wing span more effective for passing lanes and perimeter defense, important, but less so for a post defender...IMHO.

The more mobile you are, the more that wingspan probably helps you. He is older and slower...no offense to him...it is what it is...

I want my older slower center to be taller, not wider. He is below average in every taller catergory. I'm pretty sure that's why they brought in a guy that is taller.

Also, as you age, so does your leaping ability, so not only does he come up shorter in the height categories, his age makes it very unlikely that he's going to be making it up with his leaping ability.

Maybe you wouldn't have had an issue if I said he was shorter than average?

As a small ball 5 he might be taller, but I just said center. Not situational centers. As a center, he is below average in height for the position in 2015. Period.

Even as a small ball 5, he might not be your best choice due to mobility issues versus small ball lineups.

This doesn't take away from how awesome of a get he was. I wasn't trying to insult your son Mrs. West.

CGD
07-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Can't wait to see West punishing Durant in the low post when OKC tries to go small.

timtonymanu
07-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Yeah I am way more excited about David West than any 3rd stringer we've picked up. Can't wait to see this nigga on the court.

vander
07-26-2015, 06:46 PM
none of these videos are from the 14-15 season

the first one was posted in 2012 :lol

i love david west but he's 35

though it looked like pretty good old-man game to me, mostly creating space with his body, and soft touch around the rim, making tough shots at awkward angles look easy.

spurraider21
07-26-2015, 06:48 PM
though it looked like pretty good old-man game to me, mostly creating space with his body, and soft touch around the rim, making tough shots at awkward angles look easy.
then why are we still posting 2012 vids to get us hyped about him

Seventyniner
07-26-2015, 06:50 PM

You can't ask for much more from your 4th big. Though it remains to be seen if Pop will bring Diaw or West off the bench first. Both seem to have high enough character that neither would mind being the 4th big.

daledondale
07-26-2015, 07:04 PM
OP is by far the shittiest of the new posters.
Agreed. OP likes BBC.

Brian Windhorst
07-26-2015, 07:36 PM
My thing is... what happens if it turns out that Aldridge/West is our best frontcourt duo? This is a distinct possibility.

There are 96 minutes to be played at PF/C. Assuming Aldridge is ~34mpg and Jim is ~26mpg, that leaves 36 minutes a game (minus rest games for TD or blowouts) to split between Diaw, West, Bonner, and Boban.

Not a bad problem to have, but the question becomes: which one of Diaw or West is going to play sub 20 minutes in close games this year, and are they going to be happy about it?

steeledl
07-26-2015, 07:39 PM
My thing is... what happens if it turns out that Aldridge/West is our best frontcourt duo? This is a distinct possibility.

There are 96 minutes to be played at PF/C. Assuming Aldridge is ~34mpg and Jim is ~26mpg, that leaves 36 minutes a game (minus rest games for TD or blowouts) to split between Diaw, West, Bonner, and Boban.

Not a bad problem to have, but the question becomes: which one of Diaw or West is going to play sub 20 minutes in close games this year, and are they going to be happy about it?

Match Ups will play a big role but I think west will play more than diaw. Bonner and the giant won't factor in without injury.

HarlemHeat37
07-26-2015, 07:40 PM
^^ West is too old to be playing heavy minutes against starting units, tbh..he can't post up against starting caliber bigs anymore, and his defense has progressively declined, which is expected for a player his age..virtually all of his offense will be through his J, which will be great with the Spurs ball movement and Manu/Diaw facilitating..the Diaw/West frontcourt will have rebounding/defense issues, but they will completely feast on opposing bench frontcourts..

He's an absolute steal, regardless, and his jump shot is still one of the best you'll find for a big man, but his effectiveness is going to be largely against opposing bench units..he's a legit 3rd or 4th big on a contending team, which is what he will be for the Spurs, can't ask for better to play that role..20 MPG is ideal..

He shouldn't be starting/playing against starters for an extended period of time, though, outside of occasionally subbing for a Duncan-DNP or in a game where he's hot..

Kawhitstorm
07-26-2015, 09:37 PM
^^ West is too old to be playing heavy minutes against starting units, tbh..he can't post up against starting caliber bigs anymore, and his defense has progressively declined, which is expected for a player his age..virtually all of his offense will be through his J, which will be great with the Spurs ball movement and Manu/Diaw facilitating..the Diaw/West frontcourt will have rebounding/defense issues, but they will completely feast on opposing bench frontcourts..

He's an absolute steal, regardless, and his jump shot is still one of the best you'll find for a big man, but his effectiveness is going to be largely against opposing bench units..he's a legit 3rd or 4th big on a contending team, which is what he will be for the Spurs, can't ask for better to play that role..20 MPG is ideal..

He shouldn't be starting/playing against starters for an extended period of time, though, outside of occasionally subbing for a Duncan-DNP or in a game where he's hot..

He's a rich man's version of the 2008 PJ Brown.

spurs10
07-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I think West and Boris will average about 18-20 minutes per game or a bit less. Tim is not going to play much more than 25 minutes per game and will indeed sit out games where Matty and Boban will fill in. How West and Boris play together will be fun to watch. With Kawhi and KA to help with the glass they should be lethal with Patty and MG.

Ice009
07-26-2015, 11:38 PM
What I love about getting David West and LaMarcus is that they both wanted to be here. Money wasn't the only or deciding factor. They both want to play for the Spurs, and I wanted them both, so that's why it's even more awesome to have been able to get them.

skulls138
07-26-2015, 11:51 PM
What I love about getting David West and LaMarcus is that they both wanted to be here. Money wasn't the only or deciding factor. They both want to play for the Spurs, and I wanted them both, so that's why it's even more awesome to have been able to get them.West especially. I have to admit that when West and NO were battling the Spurs I couldn't stand him. However with the Pacers he's really taken on the role as leader and stayed that way even when things went south for them.

Ice009
07-27-2015, 12:09 AM
West especially. I have to admit that when West and NO were battling the Spurs I couldn't stand him. However with the Pacers he's really taken on the role as leader and stayed that way even when things went south for them.

Yeah, I started getting a ton of respect for West during his time in Indiana. He was a leader there and at the same time also an enforcer that doesn't take shit from anyone on the court. He also seems to be a no nonsense high character guy. That's the kind of player that I like. As soon as LMA committed to sign with the Spurs my whole focus went to West as I still wanted him really bad along with Aldridge. I thought that he might have been plan B and I wasn't sure if the Spurs would be able to get him for the minimum. Absolutely awesome that he still decided to join the team for the minimum salary the Spurs had left.

devindixen
07-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Can't wait to see West punishing Durant in the low post when OKC tries to go small.

But Durant will have 40 points before West scores 10.

kobyz
07-27-2015, 12:26 PM
More of a center at this point, weak mobility and can't jump anymore...

dweaver99027
07-28-2015, 01:04 AM
Spurs having at least 4 rotation players who favor the midrange shot will be interesting. Will they tone it down to match 'Spurs standards' or will Pop adapt his system to accommodate them? Should be fun to observe in October.

tatteredprince
07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks for your comments guys...........

MaNu4Tres
07-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Just a heads up, West has an interview today ( finally).

Here's the link to the site >> http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sportsradio/

Darkwaters
07-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Guys,

i thought of starting a thread dedicated to David West, seems to me he is "forgotten" amidst the hoopla around the other newcomers

In David West, the Spurs have the "Enforcer" that could ultimately lead them to the Promised Land! (he will be crucial come playoff time)

Hope more discussions center around him, his talents and possible contributions to the Spurs this season

Have you not been to The Church of David West to pray lately? GO AND CONFESS YOUR SINS!

dweaver99027
07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Who would win in an armwrestling match between DWest and prime DRob? Some heavy guns right there...

silverblackfan
07-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Even at 35 West still played a lot of minutes against starters. He will be destroying opposing benches for the Spurs and that is before you consider the rest of the Spurs bench that will surround him. The open looks this year will be available in bunches.

tatteredprince
07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Even at 35 West still played a lot of minutes against starters. He will be destroying opposing benches for the Spurs and that is before you consider the rest of the Spurs bench that will surround him. The open looks this year will be available in bunches.

demolishing the NBA

this team could be really special

littlecoyotecoin
10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by barbacoataco

First, I was not attempting to imply he was not strong, or could easily be pushed around. I assumed that goes unsaid. But, apparently we have to say David West is a strong guy.

Average 6’ 10.0” 6’ 11.2” 7’ 3.0” 9’ 1.6”

height without shoes, with shoes, wingspan, and standing reach, respectively...

West is 6'8.25", 6'9.25, 7'4.25", and 9'.5"

He is above average in only one category, wingspan, standing reach being more important for rim protection, wing span more effective for passing lanes and perimeter defense, important, but less so for a post defender...IMHO.

The more mobile you are, the more that wingspan probably helps you. He is older and slower...no offense to him...it is what it is...

I want my older slower center to be taller, not wider. He is below average in every taller catergory. I'm pretty sure that's why they brought in a guy that is taller.

Also, as you age, so does your leaping ability, so not only does he come up shorter in the height categories, his age makes it very unlikely that he's going to be making it up with his leaping ability.

Maybe you wouldn't have had an issue if I said he was shorter than average?

As a small ball 5 he might be taller, but I just said center. Not situational centers. As a center, he is below average in height for the position in 2015. Period.

Even as a small ball 5, he might not be your best choice due to mobility issues versus small ball lineups.

This doesn't take away from how awesome of a get he was. I wasn't trying to insult your son Mrs. West.

It took all of one game to see that West is not going to work as a center. Undersized.