PDA

View Full Version : Mike Miller Traded to Portland

Chinook
07-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Didn't want to be that guy, but there's a chance Miller could get bought out soon. Seems like a decent option for the 15th spot. Not quite good enough to be a rotation player anymore, but good enough to pretend to be one for a stretch seems like a great vet wing to add to the mix. Good shooter, tough and know how to win an be a pro.

SpursFan86
07-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Posted about this in the offseason thread...I think he has a better chance of contributing than Jimmer tbh.

I know he was pretty non-existent last year in Cleveland, but the year before he was still really solid in Memphis and played all 82 games for them. I wouldn't mind getting him for the 15th roster spot, but apparently Dallas/OKC/Memphis are the front-running suitors.

cjw
07-26-2015, 11:05 PM
OKC wants to save that last roster spot for the guy they convinced to take less than the rookie scale contract to reduce luxury tax burden. Those cheap owners could have blocked the Spurs from grabbing SloMo instead

tmtcsc
07-26-2015, 11:13 PM
The guy is a shell of his former self but given what little minutes would be available for the 15th spot, hell yeah he's better than a Never-Was in Jimmer. Not even close. Championship experience, deadly when wide open, good range, good for 5-8 minutes a game in the playoffs. Neither Miller nor Jimmer would be expected to do much on defense anyways.

KDKSpurs24
07-26-2015, 11:18 PM
The guy is a shell of his former self but given what little minutes would be available for the 15th spot, hell yeah he's better than a Never-Was in Jimmer. Not even close. Championship experience, deadly when wide open, good range, good for 5-8 minutes a game in the playoffs. Neither Miller nor Jimmer would be expected to do much on defense anyways.
This

Brian Windhorst
07-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Wasn't getting minutes over Iman Shumpert or JR Smith in the finals, and those two played some of the worst basketball I've ever seen at the professional level that series.

MaNu4Tres
07-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, why dont we start a bring back Finley or Brent Barry thread? They'd have just as much left in the tank tbh..

He's likely going back to Memphis.

I rather the 15th roster spot go to a young player w/ upside who the Spurs can develop further.

Mikeanaro
07-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Dude is not thread worthy tbh.

ElNono
07-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Don't want Miller or Jimmer, tbh

spurraider21
07-27-2015, 12:07 AM
isnt miller just a bad belinelli?

skulls138
07-27-2015, 12:10 AM
I don't really care because I think we're good but give me some reasons why Miller doesn't have it anymore? If I'm not mistaken what little he did, when given a chance, he shined. He probably would've been more effective than JR Smith. Tell me I'm wrong!

TD 21
07-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Hey guys, why dont we start a bring back Finley or Brent Barry thread? They'd have just as much left in the tank tbh..

He's likely going back to Memphis.

I rather the 15th roster spot go to a young player w/ upside who the Spurs can develop further.

They have that, in Anderson and Simmons. What they need is someone proven, with size and knockdown shooting ability. Granted, he looked finished last season, but still. He checks too many boxes for them not to express significant interest, I'd imagine and they can offer the best combination of potential playing time and chance at a championship.

He has little chance of cracking the Grizzlies rotation (Green, Lee and Allen are guaranteed rotation spots and Carter, Barnes and maybe even Adams will get a look before he does) and no chance of cracking the Thunder's rotation (Durant, Waiters and at least one of Morrow/Singler are guaranteed rotation spots, Westbrook could play some defensive SG and the other of Morrow/Singler and Roberson will get a look before he does).

ElNono
07-27-2015, 12:16 AM
How many seasons has Mike been in the league? Wouldn't a vet min deal for him cost an arm and a leg considering the luxury tax situation?

ElNono
07-27-2015, 12:17 AM
They have that, in Anderson and Simmons. What they need is someone proven, with size and knockdown shooting ability. Granted, he looked finished last season, but still. He checks too many boxes for them not to express significant interest, I'd imagine and they can offer the best combination of potential playing time and chance at a championship.

For the 15th roster spot?

kobyz
07-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Could be a better bonner...

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Cavs really struck out with that Haywood contract. Looked a great chip on paper. Still a TE isn't too bad and they're apparently willing to pay the tax.

07-27-2015, 12:32 AM

MaNu4Tres
07-27-2015, 12:36 AM

He has little chance of cracking the Grizzlies rotation (Green, Lee and Allen are guaranteed rotation spots and Carter, Barnes and maybe even Adams will get a look before he does) and no chance of cracking the Thunder's rotation (Durant, Waiters and at least one of Morrow/Singler are guaranteed rotation spots, Westbrook could play some defensive SG and the other of Morrow/Singler and Roberson will get a look before he does).

Lets be real, Mike Miller has little chance of cracking the rotation of any playoff team. If he needs and wants a significant role on a team, he'lll likely have to go play for a lottery team (something I'm sure he does not want to do based off his recent history coat tailing LeBron).

I just can't see him turning down a deal to go back to Memphis. He played there for 7 seasons, has a good relationship w/ the organization and their fans -- plus he has a house there.

TheGreatYacht
07-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Always pictured that scrub with the Thunder, tbh.

freetiago
07-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Never a bad idea to have an OKC killer in the reserves tbh...

Cloud786
07-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Y'all people don't want this guy on the team???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uMuYw0Q3w

Uriel
07-27-2015, 02:12 AM
Tbh, if the Spurs are so desperate for shooters that they would sign Jimmer Freedette, it's not hard to envision a scenario in which they would pursue Mike Miller, a player they've expressed interest in previously.

Bruno
07-27-2015, 04:12 AM
To me, the Fredette signing means two things:
1) Spurs won't add a 15th player with a guaranteed contract. You don't sign Fredette to a training camp contract if he has no chance at all of making the roster because it is already full.
2) Spurs are quite confident on Anderson/Simmons ability to contribute this season.

I'm not sure how Miller being available will change that. After his bad year with Cavs, is he really better than the other vets available like Rasual Butler, Tayshaun Prince, Dorell Wright, Ben Gordon, Jason Richardson... ?

TrainOfThought5
07-27-2015, 05:44 AM

Fuckin Gary Neal

ceperez
07-27-2015, 06:36 AM
To me, the Fredette signing means two things:
1) Spurs won't add a 15th player with a guaranteed contract. You don't sign Fredette to a training camp contract if he has no chance at all of making the roster because it is already full.
2) Spurs are quite confident on Anderson/Simmons ability to contribute this season.

I'm not sure how Miller being available will change that. After his bad year with Cavs, is he really better than the other vets available like Rasual Butler, Tayshaun Prince, Dorell Wright, Ben Gordon, Jason Richardson... ?

Did Miller log a lot of minutes during the playoffs last season? Considering that the Cavs were already undermanned, you have to wonder why he didn't play a lot of minutes.

Average of 7 minutes per game compared to previous season with Memphis at 24 minutes and with heat at 13 minutes a game.

24 minutes to 7 minutes is a drastic reduction, however these were 2 different teams. So who knows if he's healthy enough to compete. BTW... good SF to have in the lineup, gutsy player.

playjimmer
07-27-2015, 06:36 AM
That spot is for Jimmer

ceperez
07-27-2015, 06:41 AM
That spot is for Jimmer

Miller is 6'8", despite being old, he is a proven knock down shooter. Spurs should sign miller up to camp to evaluate him. Last year he didn't do well with the Cavs, but in the previous year with the Griz, he averaged 24 minutes per game in the playoffs.

Oh.... I'm assuming he gets waived though.

playjimmer
07-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Miller is 6'8", despite being old, he is a proven knock down shooter. Spurs should sign miller up to camp to evaluate him. Last year he didn't do well with the Cavs, but in the previous year with the Griz, he averaged 24 minutes per game in the playoffs.

Oh.... I'm assuming he gets waived though.
no use. the 15th spot will be Jimmer's.

Darkwaters
07-27-2015, 06:51 AM
I'd offer him the same contract and opportunity as Jimmer. Resolve it in camp.

AFBlue
07-27-2015, 06:59 AM
He's not coming here tbqh. He'll get a fully guaranteed deal to play in OKC or Memphis.

SnakeBoy
07-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Just give Eddie the spot and call it an off season.

exstatic
07-27-2015, 07:10 AM
He's not coming here tbqh. He'll get a fully guaranteed deal to play in OKC or Memphis.

This. Mike Miller is not at the place, yet, where he will accept a partial guarantee, and the Spurs won't give him a fully guaranteed deal with young developable players competing for that 15th spot.

exstatic
07-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Nobody is being "given" anything. Fredette was signing #15, and Ndoye was signing #16. I expect a few more signings, which may or may not include Jarrell Eddie, to bring the numbers up to around the allowable 20 for camp. Signings 15 - 20 will all be competing for one spot.

ceperez
07-27-2015, 07:23 AM

I think Eddie needs a year of seasoning with the Toros.

He also prove to the Spurs that he has the work ethic. Eddie gifted with a shooting touch appears to be lazy as hell on the other side of the court.

ceperez
07-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Nobody is being "given" anything. Fredette was signing #15, and Ndoye was signing #16. I expect a few more signings, which may or may not include Jarrell Eddie, to bring the numbers up to around the allowable 20 for camp. Signings 15 - 20 will all be competing for one spot.

Last year there were a ton of players in camp (Jonathon Simmons wasn't one of them). Bryce Cotton, Josh Davis, Jamychal Green, John Holland.

Whatever happened to Josh Davis (KL clone) anyway?

Googled... looks like this is what happened to him: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hrl9a

daledondale
07-27-2015, 07:31 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/Ax8ItWw58J0qY/giphy.gif

spursistan
07-27-2015, 07:49 AM
I know that we are probably going to need more expert shooting in the playoff situation (kind of insurance on Icy/Hot Green), but Miller looks to be finished in the sense he can't stay on court on anymore with his late spate of injuries..Let's just how Simmons/KA duo fare first and then maybe look at other options available in buyout period after February..Those 6-8 minutes Belli used to fill in with the occasional crucial, lead-protecting 3 will be missed somewhere,IMO...

kobyz
07-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Better option than jimmer for sure, we need another who can play sf...

Chinook
07-27-2015, 07:55 AM

They still haven't cut Williams yet, so the team has 17 spots taken up so far.

SpursFan86
07-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Sounds like he wants a little bit more PT, so I'd imagine that eliminates the possibility of him coming here. If he played like he did in 2014 with Memphis, I'd probably take him over Simmons/Anderson and he'd actually have a spot in the rotation...but it's doubtful he returns to that level.

Chinook
07-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Miller's best chance then is to hang onto a fringe playoff team like Memphis two years ago. I guess New Orleans and Milwaukee would be good choices. Both would welcome his shooting and veteran presence.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2015, 01:37 PM
He's past his prime, but still better than Jimmer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-27-2015, 01:42 PM
^^ Of course my hope would be that the Spurs coaching staff could tap into whatever potential Jimmer has.

Budkin
07-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Choo Choo got fucking derailed.

random21
07-27-2015, 05:03 PM
I can see him going back to Memphis....

SPURt
07-27-2015, 05:26 PM
I'd rather see Jimmer chasing 3rd string point guards around getting publicly emasculated by Pop than watch Miller drag his legs around the court like a dog with worms for a year. Pass.

TD 21
07-27-2015, 05:50 PM
For the 15th roster spot?

No, for the 10th one, considering they don't have a proven player or player that projects as a good fit for it.

But, hey, there's only a championship at stake, let's chance lessening the odds by handing a rotation spot, by default, to two fringe prospects, so that the average age of the roster is slightly lower.

Lets be real, Mike Miller has little chance of cracking the rotation of any playoff team. If he needs and wants a significant role on a team, he'lll likely have to go play for a lottery team (something I'm sure he does not want to do based off his recent history coat tailing LeBron).

I just can't see him turning down a deal to go back to Memphis. He played there for 7 seasons, has a good relationship w/ the organization and their fans -- plus he has a house there.

He has a good chance of cracking this particular one (at least for the games that matter most), since he's similar to the player he'd be replacing and considering the other options to fill the spot.

All things being equal, he'd probably choose the Grizzlies again, but they don't really have a potential rotation spot to offer.

It may take until the buy out period, but at some point, this spot is more than likely going to a veteran anyway. I'll take one of the better spot up shooters ever, that's not known to complain if he's not in the rotation and is a hard nosed competitor with championship experience, over the likes of Butler, Delfino, Garcia, etc.

apalisoc_9
07-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Miller doesn't offer anything outside of shooting and it's been that way for three year, but he'll be a perfect situational player.

He'd be a great 15th man addition.

He a team guy too.

ducks
07-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Miller doesn't offer anything outside of shooting and it's been that way for three year, but he'll be a perfect situational player.

He'd be a great 15th man addition.

He a team guy too.yeah he is a team guy told the cavs he wants to be play so he got out of the cavs
was not happy being the 15 guy on bench

ElNono
07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
No, for the 10th one, considering they don't have a proven player or player that projects as a good fit for it.

But, hey, there's only a championship at stake, let's chance lessening the odds by handing a rotation spot, by default, to two fringe prospects, so that the average age of the roster is slightly lower.

If Mike Miller has to play for any extended period of time, your championship odds are probably pretty low already, tbh... We already signed the "proven, end of the bench vet shooter", his name is Matt Bonner...

rmt
07-27-2015, 07:25 PM
If Mike Miller has to play for any extended period of time, your championship odds are probably pretty low already, tbh... We already signed the "proven, end of the bench vet shooter", his name is Matt Bonner...

Please, I'd trust Miller with a 3pter much more than the choker Bonner. Miller is proven, clutch 3pt shooter and would be the only SF backup. For vet's minimum and keeping him away from MEM (whose weakness is 3pt shooting) - sure.

ElNono
07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Please, I'd trust Miller with a 3pter much more than the choker Bonner. Miller is proven, clutch 3pt shooter and would be the only SF backup. For vet's minimum and keeping him away from MEM (whose weakness is 3pt shooting) - sure.

You're basically comparing a turd sandwich with a giant douche. They're both done, and you don't really need more than one corpse on the bench.

TD 21
07-27-2015, 07:50 PM

Who said anything about "extended period of time"?

Bonner is a PF, not a wing. They don't have a proven fourth wing and neither of the two current options can spread the floor. They'll almost certainly eventually sign a 15th player (not counting camp fodder) anyway and when they do, it's likely to be a veteran, 3-point shooting wing. There's no downside to this.

Bruno
07-27-2015, 07:55 PM
The only way I would be fine with Miller is if Pop makes it clear that he would need to be better than Simmons and Anderson to get playing time and that he will be fine if he isn't able to outplay them. Miller hasn't been good enough last season to deserve getting some kind of guaranteed minutes with a contender.

ElNono
07-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Who said anything about "extended period of time"?

Bonner is a PF, not a wing. They don't have a proven fourth wing and neither of the two current options can spread the floor. They'll almost certainly eventually sign a 15th player (not counting camp fodder) anyway and when they do, it's likely to be a veteran, 3-point shooting wing. There's no downside to this.

If he's not going to play, why are you bringing up championship odds? And I disagree, Bonner is a perimeter shooter. Always has been. He's been called a "stretch-4", but he's sat his ass at the corner 3 too.

I mean, we're only talking offense and spacing here, defensively both of these guys have been done for a while now.

The downside is strictly monetary. A vet like Miller costs $1m more than any of these kids. Then you have to double that with the lux tax hit.

They should leave the 15th roster spot open, do tryouts early in the season, and wait until mid-season to see what's out there.

TD 21
07-27-2015, 08:24 PM
If he's not going to play, why are you bringing up championship odds? And I disagree, Bonner is a perimeter shooter. Always has been. He's been called a "stretch-4", but he's sat his ass at the corner 3 too.

I mean, we're only talking offense and spacing here, defensively both of these guys have been done for a while now.

The downside is strictly monetary. A vet like Miller costs $1m more than any of these kids. Then you have to double that with the lux tax hit.

They should leave the 15th roster spot open, do tryouts early in the season, and wait until mid-season to see what's out there.

Who said "he's not going to play"? I said he'd have the inside track to fourth wing minutes (at least down the stretch and in the playoffs), not that he'd be guaranteed minutes or not play.

Obviously, Bonner is a perimeter shooter, but Bonner is strictly a PF. Miller is an SF. What's difficult about this to understand?

No, we're talking fourth wing minutes. An actual rotation spot, one they have a major question mark with.

They're already going to pay the tax. Why go mostly in, but stop just short of all the way? A few million is nothing, if it helps you win a championship.

Nothing is going to be out there, on the wings, that's a fit and even if it unexpectedly is, that player will have less time to get acclimated. The time is now to complete the roster.

Poolboy5623
07-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Miller isn't out playing anyone on this team, as it stands...for christ sakes he couldn't get on the court, with the cavs bench.

Kawhitstorm
07-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Again, Jason Richardson is a better option.

ElNono
07-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Who said "he's not going to play"? I said he'd have the inside track to fourth wing minutes (at least down the stretch and in the playoffs), not that he'd be guaranteed minutes or not play.

Obviously, Bonner is a perimeter shooter, but Bonner is strictly a PF. Miller is an SF. What's difficult about this to understand?

I guess what's difficult to understand is why you're so set on strict positions, when Pop is a guy that doesn't really gives a crap? He's all about roles...

He's played a ton of 3 guard lineups, small ball with no pf/center (however you want to classify Tim), stretch-4 with Horry/Bonner/Diaw, Tony at SG... the list goes on an on...

I mean, I believe RC when he says they're still looking for a backup to Kawhi, but I take that to mean a backup that can play both ends, not a washed up vet on a year rental. Hopefully Anderson is that guy, but if he's not, I expect them to keep looking.

No, we're talking fourth wing minutes. An actual rotation spot, one they have a major question mark with.

They're already going to pay the tax. Why go mostly in, but stop just short of all the way? A few million is nothing, if it helps you win a championship.

Nothing is going to be out there, on the wings, that's a fit and even if it unexpectedly is, that player will have less time to get acclimated. The time is now to complete the roster.

There's absolutely no reason to lock up that roster spot now. I rather give Anderson whatever rotation minutes Mike Miller would get. And I'm not even that high on Anderson. Then re-evaluate mid-season.

GSH
07-27-2015, 11:18 PM
He didn't get minutes in Cleveland last season. Don't know if that's because he's finished, or the obvious that they had better players and he couldn't earn the minutes. But in the last 3 seasons before that, he shot 33-pointers at: 14-29 (.4833), 16-336 (.444), and 31-75 (.413) in the playoffs. Hell, with as little chance as Jimmer has of seeing minutes, it would be worth it to have Miller on the bench just for end of quarter, and end of game situations.

If the Spurs were down by 2-3 in a playoff game, with enough time for one more shot, I'd damn sure rather have Miller on the floor than Bonner. Either to take the shot, or even as a decoy. He's a guy who can knock them down from the parking lot, and everyone knows it. And he's been pretty solid under playoff pressure - you can't ever get enough of that.

Miller is to slow to play long stretches of defense, but he was always pretty physical, and smart with his contact. I remember a few years back suggesting that the Spurs sign Derek Fisher in his 16th season, and everyone said that he was done, and too slow to play defense. And he pretty much kicked ass on the Spurs in the playoffs. Miller is "only" 35 years old. Sounds like he wants more minutes than he could possibly get here, but I wouldn't be upset if he did decide to get on board. Assuming the FO thinks he's got enough left to want him.

Kawhitstorm
07-28-2015, 03:02 AM
He didn't get minutes in Cleveland last season. Don't know if that's because he's finished, or the obvious that they had better players and he couldn't earn the minutes.

Mike Miller is as done as 2009-10 Finley who asked to be waived after complaining about the lack of minutes w/ the Spurs. Had a solid career but he'll soon be neighbors w/ Shane Battier at a retirement home in Florida despite him touting himself as a rotation player.

weeks
07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzbB5E_IIAAuL2T.jpg:large

time to burn the shirt

Kawhitstorm
07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
time to burn the shirt

Nah, it just means he's dead

dabom
07-28-2015, 02:54 PM

Dex
07-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Choo Choo got fucking derailed.

Seriously, why does he leave Miller to go double Lebron like 25 feet from the basket?

Dude hit some ballsy shot, but his defense made Belinelli's look formidable.

GSH
07-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Mike Miller is as done as 2009-10 Finley who asked to be waived after complaining about the lack of minutes w/ the Spurs. Had a solid career but he'll soon be neighbors w/ Shane Battier at a retirement home in Florida despite him touting himself as a rotation player.

Like I said, people said all that and worse about Derek Fisher, right before his 16th season - and he absolutely kicked the Spurs' ass several times. All the comments about him being too slow to ever play defense, and he killed our asses on defense.

Same thing with Grant Hill, when Phoenix signed him. He was too old and broke down, plus had a career-ending injury. Then he played 80 games and 2,400 minutes in each of the next three seasons.

You may be right about Miller - we'll see. But you sure tell the story with confidence.

TD 21
07-28-2015, 05:21 PM
I guess what's difficult to understand is why you're so set on strict positions, when Pop is a guy that doesn't really gives a crap? He's all about roles...

He's played a ton of 3 guard lineups, small ball with no pf/center (however you want to classify Tim), stretch-4 with Horry/Bonner/Diaw, Tony at SG... the list goes on an on...

I mean, I believe RC when he says they're still looking for a backup to Kawhi, but I take that to mean a backup that can play both ends, not a washed up vet on a year rental. Hopefully Anderson is that guy, but if he's not, I expect them to keep looking.

There's absolutely no reason to lock up that roster spot now. I rather give Anderson whatever rotation minutes Mike Miller would get. And I'm not even that high on Anderson. Then re-evaluate mid-season.

It depends on the players. The two in question can only credibly play one each and even though their role is essentially the same, the difference is, Bonner plays a position they're well stocked at; Miller doesn't.

Players that can play both ends don't sign for the minimum and no guarantee of a rotation spot. Obviously that would be ideal, but they just need knockdown shooting and someone who's at least somewhat proven.

There's no reason to wait. They more than likely can't do better and like I said, they can still give Anderson/Simmons a look early on. Miller isn't good enough anymore to be handed a rotation spot and he probably isn't even physically capable of being one for the 100-105 games they hope to play. He'd be insurance.

Spurtacular
07-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Isnt miller just a bad belinelli?

Don't even know if he's that, tbqh. W/O a Lebron spoonfeeding him, I don't know what value he really has.

Spurtacular
07-29-2015, 06:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzbB5E_IIAAuL2T.jpg:large

time to burn the shirt

The shirt might as well say 'LBJ til I die'

tesseractive
07-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Steve Kerr was too slow and old in '03. But damn, he sure dusted off his shooting when it counted. I'd love to give the last shoot to a wily vet shooter.