PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown Says Gregg Popovich Nearly Retired After November Heart Surgery

Dex
07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2532970-larry-brown-says-gregg-popovich-nearly-retired-after-november-heart-surgery

His hip surgery had gone well, but there was a hiccup with a heart condition that was not unlike the atrial fibrillation that (former Spurs center) Fab Oberto had. Popovich underwent a procedure, and, after he had done everything the doctors had asked, palpitations returned.

Brown says the episode occurred during the preseason tour in Europe. That eventually culminated with Popovich missing two games in late November for a second procedure.

'I really believe he was close to retiring then,' Brown said.

I think I remember there being some speculation when he missed some games, but this is the first confirmation I think I've seen.

boutons_deux
07-28-2015, 03:28 PM
LB belief?

Brian Windhorst
07-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Brown projecting, not every coach quits at the drop of a hat.

BatManu20
07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
He said he thought Pop might, not that Pop himself felt that way. But even if he did, doesn't surprise me, especially at his age. Health is more important than anything, and being an NBA HC is a ridiculously stressful full-time job that requires hours and hours in the film room, practicing, traveling, etc.

kobyz
07-28-2015, 04:01 PM
After 6 who wouldn't had heart problem?!?!

JuneJive
07-28-2015, 04:21 PM
He's no spring chicken.

I just hope he realizes that he doesn't owe us anything anymore. ( This includes the "promise" he made to LMA that he will play out his contract )

Still, knowing him i don't think he'll head out unless it's really serious.

aal04
07-28-2015, 04:24 PM
I was surprised that he said he would coach for another 2-4 years.

DJR210
07-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Coach Pop will never die, we have nothing to worry about.

daledondale
07-28-2015, 05:06 PM
After 6 who wouldn't had heart problem?!?!
:lol:pctoss

Spurtacular
07-28-2015, 05:08 PM
I was surprised that he said he would coach for another 2-4 years.

I think he realistically figured he would b/c he loves being around this group. I think a part of him would love to walk away and enjoy his golden years though.

HI-FI
07-28-2015, 05:17 PM
Coach Pop will never die, we have nothing to worry about.
Pop to SpursFan...
http://oi47.tinypic.com/1exq4l.jpg

ElNono
07-28-2015, 05:18 PM
I'll be a fucking sad day if Pop is no longer a Spur but Bonner is...

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2015, 06:03 PM
:pctoss

Budkin
07-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Pretty sure it was because of Alba Berlin tbh

spursistan
07-29-2015, 03:12 AM
He's no spring chicken.

I just hope he realizes that he doesn't owe us anything anymore. ( This includes the "promise" he made to LMA that he will play out his contract )

Still, knowing him i don't think he'll head out unless it's really serious.
I just can't picture Pop sticking around for the whole next 4 years..He will be 70 by the time his current extension runs out in 2019..I think he will stay for one extra year after Timmy retires to ensure a smooth transition for the franchise/team (so more likely he is done in 2017/2018)..There is still no clear heir to Pop, though..Not sure one Messina/Udoka is the designated one..

Chillen
07-29-2015, 05:57 AM
I just can't picture Pop sticking around for the whole next 4 years..He will be 70 by the time his current extension runs out in 2019..I think he will stay for one extra year after Timmy retires to ensure a smooth transition for the franchise/team (so more likely he is done in 2017/2018)..There is still no clear heir to Pop, though..Not sure one Messina/Udoka is the designated one..

You can't replace a coach like Pop so there will be no clear heir to Pop. I think Pop should start mentoring Vinny Del Negro to replace him in 4 years. Vinny is 48 right now and a former Spur, and yes I think he is a good coach despite some critics.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-29-2015, 05:59 AM
You can't replace a coach like Pop so there will be no clear heir to Pop. I think Pop should start mentoring Vinny Del Negro to replace him in 4 years. Vinny is 48 right now and a former Spur, and yes I think he is a good coach despite some critics.

Use blue.

exstatic
07-29-2015, 06:02 AM

I absolutely think it's Ime Udoka. I remember reading when Messina was hired that they went out of their way to assure Ime that it didn't affect his standing on the staff. I think Pop likes and trusts both of them, but I think that Messina is here on a quest to get his own NBA job, soon, and it wouldn't shock me now that Boylen is (finally) gone, if Pop doesn't name Ime top assistant.

Chillen
07-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Use blue.

Blue

TheDoctor
07-29-2015, 01:55 PM
I absolutely think it's Ime Udoka. I remember reading when Messina was hired that they went out of their way to assure Ime that it didn't affect his standing on the staff. I think Pop likes and trusts both of them, but I think that Messina is here on a quest to get his own NBA job, soon, and it wouldn't shock me now that Boylen is (finally) gone, if Pop doesn't name Ime top assistant.

Pop named Messina his top assistant last season. Even coached 2 games (wins actually) when Pop was out for couple of days (medical procedure). I doubt Pop will replace a 4-time Euroleague champion and coach of the year (twice) of the same League with Ime Udoka.

FkLA
07-29-2015, 02:02 PM

You're fooling yourself if you think Matty doesn't have a job waiting for him once his playing career is over. He was VP of the Player's Association and has an MBA from the University of Florida. Matty will die a Spur tbh.