PDA

View Full Version : Bucks: From the Bucks to Barista at Starbucks: The fall of Vin Baker

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 12:31 AM
THIS BAKER’S A BARISTA: FORMER NBA STAR THRILLED ABOUT HIS FRESH, SOBER START (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/07/28/this-bakers-a-barista-former-nba-star-thrilled-about-his-fresh-sober-start/)

July 28, 2015 · 5:1
POSTED BY:
STEVE ASCHBURNER

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/07/28/this-bakers-a-barista-former-nba-star-thrilled-about-his-fresh-sober-start/?ls=iref:nbahpt6f

There is no way to sugar-coat the theme of the Providence Journal‘s story: It is about a fall from grace, or at least from a fall from the heights of professional sports success to one of those humdrum lives of quiet desperation the poets bemoan.
Vin Baker: NBA All-Star to Starbucks barista.

Baker played 13 seasons in the league, in fact, and participated in four All-Star Games. The 6-foot-11 product of Hartford averaged 15.0 points and 7.4 rebounds, enjoying his best seasons with Milwaukee (four) and Seattle (five). His career got derailed by alcoholism, leading to a quick churning through four teams (Boston, New York, Houston, L.A. Clippers) in his final four seasons.

He was out of the league at age 34, and apparently has lost much of his career earnings – nearly $100 million, according to basketball-reference.com estimates (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bakervi01.html)– through bad investments and regrettable decisions. Now he’s behind a counter in Kingstown, R.I., on Starbucks’ management track (with some time away at Bucks coach Jason Kidd‘s invitation to assist with that team (https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/15/vin-baker-back-nba-assisting-young-players-coach/vLlgR6Bz94oKa3jg7B6JJN/story.html)during the Las Vegas Summer League).

Baker’s tale, as told by the Journal’s (http://providencejournal.com/article/20150727/SPORTS/st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/6ZO70jKZnE) Kevin McNamara, includes details of his spiral out of the NBA and advice to the many, newly minted multimillionaires for ways not to follow in his sneaker steps. Here is a taste of the excellent, yet in its way all too familiar, story (http://providencejournal.com/article/20150727/SPORTS/st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/6ZO70jKZnE):

Now 43, newly married and with four children, Baker is training to manage a Starbucks franchise. He thanks CEO Howard Shultz, the former Seattle SuperSonics owner, with this opportunity. He’s also a trained minister who savors work at his father’s church in Connecticut. Most important, he has been sober for more than four years.

“In this company there are opportunities for everyone. I have an excellent situation here at Starbucks and the people are wonderful,” Baker says.
Hoop fans might shake their heads and view Baker’s life as a tragic, unfortunate fall from grace. Baker doesn’t see it that way. At all. He says his story is one of redemption, of conquering demons and searching for success in this next phase of life.

“When you learn lessons in life, no matter what level you’re at financially, the important part to realize is it could happen,” he said. “I was an alcoholic, I lost a fortune. I had a great talent and lost it. For the people on the outside looking in, they’re like ‘Wow.’ ”

Like all recovering alcoholics, Baker says every day is both a challenge and a blessing. He now clearly has the perspective of a middle-aged man, not a fresh-faced, 22-year old newly minted millionaire who’s the life of the party. He just wants a chance to keep bouncing back.

“For me this could have ended most likely in jail or death. That’s how these stories usually end,” he says. “For me to summon the strength to walk out here and get excited about retail management at Starbucks and try to provide for my family, I feel that’s more heroic than being 6-11 with a fadeaway jump shot. I get energy from waking up in the morning and, first of all, not depending on alcohol, and not being embarrassed or ashamed to know I have a family to take care of. The show’s got to go on.”

Mark Celibate
07-29-2015, 12:40 AM
His tragedy doesn't have as much to do with alcohol as it does with marriage itself imho. Another example, Dirk has been in fast decline since he got married to that black bitch and it ain't totally an age issue, meanwhile Duncan remains a top 20 player in the league even at age 39 because he stays away from pussies. A man has nothing to gain, everything to lose in a relationship or marriage, common knowledge tbh.

Reck
07-29-2015, 12:42 AM
black bitch

:lmao

Thread
07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
His tragedy doesn't have as much to do with alcohol as it does with marriage itself imho. Another example, Dirk has been in fast decline since he got married to that black bitch and it ain't totally an age issue, meanwhile Duncan remains a top 20 player in the league even at age 39 because he stays away from pussies. A man has nothing to gain, everything to lose in a relationship or marriage, common knowledge tbh.

Duncan is living proof. His marriage cost him 1/2 (before his lost the $25) & his 1st 5th.

Turned that niqqer gray.

Gent
07-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Duncan is living proof. His marriage cost him 1/2 (before his lost the $25) & his 1st 5th.

Turned that niqqer gray.

Why are you talking about someone else's money?

Thread
07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Why are you talking about someone else's money?

Ya piss pot, you. Couldn't even come down till after your 2nd 5th.

I spit on you.

Gent
07-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Ya piss pot, you. Couldn't even come down till after your 2nd 5th.

I spit on you.

Ok, but you are still talking about other people's money though. Why? Your stake in any of it?

JohnnyMax
07-29-2015, 07:51 AM
After Blowing $100 Mil, Vin Baker is Working at Starbucks

ambchang
07-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Baker was great back in the day. I remember him nailing a game winner over Robinson in one of the games.

Lovely mid range game, great handles for a big, suspect defensive game. He was like an Aldridge prototype.

Mark Celibate
07-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Turned that niqqer gray.
True. After getting clear of it, however, dude won his 5th and is going to win #6 next season.

TDMVPDPOY
07-29-2015, 08:10 AM
serious? i thought he was always a scrub...nothing special about him from bucks/sonics days...

philldafunk
07-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Vin Baker's face after the Vince Carter Olympic dunk...

hater
07-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Vin Baker still has more friends than Kobe :lmao

Thread
07-29-2015, 09:14 AM

And has lost about the same amount of money as Duncan.

tee, hee.

hater
07-29-2015, 09:15 AM
And has lost about the same amount of money as Duncan.

tee, hee.

In some advanced societies. Friends are more valuable than.paper money tbh. :lol kobe

Thread
07-29-2015, 09:16 AM
In some advanced societies. Friends are more valuable than.paper money tbh. :lol kobe

That's what they say. The ones who lost the $48.5 million.

tee, hee.

jeebus
07-29-2015, 09:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ke1FsYq.jpg

he needs some lotion

Thread
07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ke1FsYq.jpg

he needs some lotion

& that NBA pension to commence.

JoeTait75
07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
At least he's putting his life back together. With the problems he's had he could just as easily be on the street or dead.

Thread
07-29-2015, 09:27 AM
^7 bucks for a cup of coffee is still criminal.

07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
^7 bucks for a cup of coffee is still criminal.
Dale

The Gemini Method
07-29-2015, 10:29 AM
^7 bucks for a cup of shitty coffee is still criminal. FIFY DALE

DJR210
07-29-2015, 10:41 AM
At least he's working, that bum Antoine Walker is sitting on his crying about it

The Gemini Method
07-29-2015, 10:43 AM
At least he's working, that bum Antoine Walker is sitting on his crying about it True. Walker and Baker blew through 210 milion combined though...that's more than the GDP of Poland.

Mori Chu
07-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Remember when he got traded for TOSB Patrick Ewing and both teams got worse? Oof.

TXstbobcat
07-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Kobe has friends?????? I thought he only has ex teammates that think he is a duschebag.

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Vin Baker was a stud on the court. Very skilled motherfucker who struck fear into opposing defenses. It's sad what happened to him but success is relative and if he would have died, or ended up like AI or Stevie Crackhead, that would have been worse than working as Barista. So with that in mind, he's probably doing as well as he possibly can at the moment given his personal and addiction issues- also recall him being clinically depressed.

lefty
07-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Great talent but a total mental midget

Was never the same player after Shaq single handedly destroyed the Sonics in 98

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2015, 10:56 PM

:lmao 90s star players working @ Starbucks:lmao

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 11:01 PM
I like Vin's attitude. He thinks working at Starbucks is a heroic effort to provide for his family. I agree. So then why are fuckers like Josh Smith whining that 6.5 mil will be tough on their family- lest we forget Latrell Sprewell who will never be remembered for how good he was, but just the whining little shit he was when he went out.

Bynumite
07-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Jim will be his co-worker in a couple of years once he retires from the NBA and the vultures around him are done leeching what's left of his millions. That faggot is a sucka.

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Jim will be his co-worker in a couple of years once he retires from the NBA and the vultures around him are done leeching what's left of his millions. That faggot is a sucka.

I still don't get the "Jim" thing. Why is that supposed to be funny or clever?

Reck
07-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Lakerfans are just reduced to talking about other people's money and gossip. They ain't got a single positive thing going for them at the moment. Not even Lakergrounds wants these leftovers, imo.

Thread
07-29-2015, 11:46 PM

Because at the time it was lodged it was an honest mistake, hence funny in a highbrow sort of way.

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Because at the time it was lodged it was an honest mistake, hence funny in a highbrow sort of way.

Ugh Dale, what do you mean, a typo? A typo is highbrow?

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Lakerfans are just reduced to talking about other people's money and gossip. They ain't got a single positive thing going for them at the moment. Not even Lakergrounds wants these leftovers, imo.

They got a good media moment there with the newfellas when they were asked about whether they had spoken to Kome and nothing but crickets. LMAO.

Thread
07-29-2015, 11:49 PM

You (SF) struck that template, Reck. You want to disavow it, sure, but, it's the truth. Now you're on the receiving end.

Stings, don't it?

Biernutz
07-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Turned that niqqer gray.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/bag_zps1df11680.jpg

Thread
07-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Ugh Dale, what do you mean, a typo? A typo is highbrow?

No, (the reaction) is, well, was high brow. I recall at the time I didn't care for it, wasn't my cup of tea, but, I did admire the reaction of the group, all fandom's got a kick out of it. It was Luva's (invention.)

I think it a testament to our group that we find humor beneath the veneer of say a LG, or, just about any other Board. I take pride in that fact.

Calispursfan11
07-29-2015, 11:55 PM
No, (the reaction) is, well, was high brow. I recall at the time I didn't care for it, wasn't my cup of tea, but, I did admire the reaction of the group, all fandom's got a kick out of it. It was Luva's (invention.)

I think it a testament to our group that we find humor beneath the veneer of say a LG, or, just about any other Board. I take pride in that fact.

I agree the Lakerfans on ST are far superior to those on LG. LMAO. You better be!

Thread
07-29-2015, 11:56 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/bag_zps1df11680.jpg

That's grist for the mill, Nutzy. I give up repetition I might as well tender my resignation to Precious.

I don't stifle you and your sweet spot, nor anybody else's for that matter. Live & let live is my religion.

Thread
07-29-2015, 11:58 PM
I agree the Lakerfans on ST are far superior to those on LG. LMAO. You better be!

If memory serves I believe the original post came out Jim Dunan. And it just took off. At first I was admittedly appalled, but, the groundswell was striking and sustained.

It's cut & dry sophisticated humor. That's us. We're there. We should all be proud.

Bynumite
07-30-2015, 12:00 AM
You (SF) struck that template, Reck. You want to disavow it, sure, but, it's the truth. Now you're on the receiving end.

Stings, don't it?

This. Spurfan still mentions Colorado on a regular basis 10+ years after the fact but once Jim got exposed for his cuckoldry, faggotry and awful business decisions, suddenly a player's personal life is a taboo subject :lmao

They can dish it but they can't take it :lol

Thread
07-30-2015, 12:01 AM
This. Spurfan still mentions Colorado on a regular basis 10+ years after the fact but once Jim got exposed for his cuckoldry, faggotry and awful business decisions, suddenly a player's personal life is a taboo subject :lmao

They can dish it bit they can't take it :lol

Mighty

ambchang
07-30-2015, 05:52 AM

I never understood it either.

But after seeing what Jim buss did to the lakers it started to make sense.

It's like a Zimbabwean calling another person Mugabe, it's the ultimate insult as Mugabe destroyed their nation, much like how Jim destroyed the lakers.

ambchang
07-30-2015, 05:54 AM

Raping people is a personal matter?

It's a social issue you insensitive rape supporter.

ambchang
07-30-2015, 06:16 AM

It had more to do with the 99 lockout season where he had nothing but time to drink and get depressed. Much like how Shawn Kemp got fat during the lockout season and was never the same.

Killakobe81
07-30-2015, 07:22 AM

Said the same the other day .. you said it better if more "low brow" ...

They opened this can of worms but now want to act as though Laker fans are the culprits.

Reck
07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Said the same the other day .. you said it better if more "low brow" ...

They opened this can of worms but now want to act as though Laker fans are the culprits.

Because you people didn't start the .04? Still do.

lakerfans are egomaniacs. They start the "we're better than you" arguement by default, no matter what team they are referring to. It's what you do.

Thread
07-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Because you people didn't start the .04? Still do.

lakerfans are egomaniacs. They start the "we're better than you" arguement by default, no matter what team they are referring to. It's what you do.

That's all in your mind. A mass hysteria of sorts. "Everybody hates the Lakers, so I'm entitled to hate 'em without repercussion." Here sweetheart, there is going to be repercussion.

And basically why I've been unceremoniously thrown out of every place I've ever lit. The people I happen///ed upon could dish it, oh, my goodness, could they dish it. When I made 'em take it, they always run & tell. This place was no different. Frankly, it's adorable. For some reason Laker Haters think they're righteous & untouchable.

I teach 'em different.

It's my religion.

Reck
07-30-2015, 07:15 PM
That's all in your mind. A mass hysteria of sorts. "Everybody hates the Lakers, so I'm entitled to hate 'em without repercussion." Here sweetheart, there is going to be repercussion.

And basically why I've been unceremoniously thrown out of every place I've ever lit. The people I happen///ed upon could dish it, oh, my goodness, could they dish it. When I made 'em take it, they always run & tell. This place was no different. Frankly, it's adorable. For some reason Laker Haters think they're righteous & untouchable.

I teach 'em different.

It's my religion.

Bullshit and you know it.

Success has made you blind homers and egotistical sociopaths.

When you were winning it was all rosy and shit. Now you're in the gutter, crawling your way around dragging everyone else alone with you. Act like somebody for god's sake.

Thread
07-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Bullshit and you know it.

Success has made you blind homers and egotistical sociopaths.

When you were winning it was all rosy and shit. Now you're in the gutter, crawling your way around dragging everyone else alone with you. Act like somebody for god's sake.

^^^Laker hater by the numbers. Typical.

playbonner15
07-30-2015, 09:01 PM
I thought Vin Baker was working with the Bucks FO, developing their rookies and D-League players? Didn't think Starbux has a better paying gig smh

Reck
07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
^^^Laker hater by the numbers. Typical.

Not really.

I dont hate on the Lakers. I pity them.

Thread
07-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Not really.

I dont hate on the Lakers. I pity them.

I'll just bet you do.