PDA

View Full Version : AP US History course revised to restore balance

DarrinS
07-30-2015, 11:46 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ap-us-history-framework_55ba1f15e4b0af35367a538d?

Title and content of this article is very biased. It wasn't just conservatives who were critical of APUSH.

boutons_deux
07-30-2015, 12:00 PM
you're always late to go along with always being wrong

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162769&p=8146624&viewfull=1#post8146624

boutons_deux
07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
"it explicitly mentions the concept of American exceptionalism" :lol yep USA doesn't torture! :lol Christian God loves USA more than any other country! :lol

"highlights America's positive influence on world"

:lol like invading Viet Nam? like invading Iraq for oil and destabilizing the M/E for decades? :lol POSITIVE! :lol

, like its role in ending the Cold War,"

:lol LIE, Russia collapsed, went bankrupt invading Afghanistan plus its $$$ sales of oil collapsed as the price of oil collapsed in the 1980s. America just happened to be standing around :lol

Did the new "American" history books say how John Rambo stomped the Soviets in Afghanistan? :lol

DarrinS
07-30-2015, 12:16 PM
:cry Sorry boutons :cry

ChumpDumper
07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ap-us-history-framework_55ba1f15e4b0af35367a538d?

Title and content of this article is very biased. It wasn't just conservatives who were critical of APUSH.So do you think anything was wrong with it and if so, what things were wrong?

DarrinS
07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
So do you think anything was wrong with it and if so, what things were wrong?

Do you think the AP course in US history should contain more than passing mention of George Washington and at least SOME mention of Martin Luther King Jr.?

Spurminator
07-30-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm not an expert in education but if it's AP, we're talking about the brightest students in the school who are taking it and receiving college credit, so it's not like every History 101 figure needs to have a place in it. They would already have had to learn about MLK and Washington to even get to this point in their education.

I haven't compared the two tests, so I can't really speak to whether it presented an unfairly negative view of US History, but I'm guessing 95% of people who have any opinion on this also formed it without actually reviewing the test questions beyond the highlights from their cable news of choice or email subscriptions. Sounds like another case of soundbites and mock outrage guiding policy.

DarrinS
07-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Lol, now it's the HuffPo headline "AP US History Caves to Conservatives"

Smh

ChumpDumper
07-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Do you think the AP course in US history should contain more than passing mention of George Washington and at least SOME mention of Martin Luther King Jr.?You didn't answer my question, Darrin.

Wild Cobra
07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Title and content of this article is very biased. It wasn't just conservatives who were critical of APUSH.

My God.

they revise history taught is schools more frequent than climatologists correct the climate record.

History be damned!

We don't need no stinking truth taught in the schools.

SocialJusticeWarrior
07-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Do you think the AP course in US history should contain more than passing mention of George Washington
Who needs to learn about that white cis-male scum anyway? What did he ever do besides founding the patriarchy?

Spurminator
07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
My God.

they revise history taught is schools more frequent than climatologists correct the climate record.

History be damned!

We don't need no stinking truth taught in the schools.

What specific issues did you have with the new APUSH test?

DarrinS
07-30-2015, 02:15 PM
You didn't answer my question, Darrin.

I listed two things I think are wrong.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2015, 02:36 PM
I listed two things I think are wrong.What constitutes a passing mention?

If was actually left out, were there mentions of the passage of civil rights legislation in the 60s?

Also there is nothing in the article that mentions either of these things. Is there somewhere else you are getting this?

Winehole23
07-31-2015, 05:52 AM
some posters seem to be wary to share where they get their stories and their takes.