PDA

View Full Version : David West: Signing With Spurs a No-brainer

k_nguyen93
07-30-2015, 07:41 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/basketball/audio/14801371/?

DenialTwist
07-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Nice. Love David West!

bic50
07-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Seems like a good dude. Pretty humble too.

TXstbobcat
07-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Spurs bench is going to be fucking scary this season.

hater
07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Still can't believe we got Aldridge AND West :lol holy shit

Most summers landing West alone woulda been huge

Shits gonna be fun

playbonner15
07-30-2015, 08:43 PM
West + LMA = Inefficient midrange Js all game :bang

sexinthatsx
07-30-2015, 08:55 PM

You're right, we should just play Matt Bonner 48 minutes and have him launch 3's non stop.

Vokun
07-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Shits gonna be fun

AND kept Danny Green.

At the beginning of the offseason, I would have counted just getting Aldridge a huge success. I honestly thought Danny Green was gone, but the fact we got to keep one of the best 3 & D players in the league is just crazy. One of the best offseasons ever!!

Dex
07-30-2015, 08:57 PM

We now have two of the most efficient midrange players in the game, which has become the open spot on the floor. I have a hard time believing that's a bad thing.

bic50
07-30-2015, 09:00 PM
AND kept Danny Green.

At the beginning of the offseason, I would have counted just getting Aldridge a huge success. I honestly thought Danny Green was gone, but the fact we got to keep one of the best 3 & D players in the league is just crazy. One of the best offseasons ever!!
And people here thought green was fed up with being pops whipping boy and he would leave. So dramatic :lol. Green knows pop brings out the best in him.

Seventyniner
07-30-2015, 09:08 PM
We now have two of the most efficient midrange players in the game, which has become the open spot on the floor. I have a hard time believing that's a bad thing.

It should definitely help the spacing. However, an elite mid-range jump shooter (50%) is only as efficient as a below-average three point shooter (33.3%). That and a three point shooter draws his man even further from the basket. This is why getting Aldridge to make threes at even a 35% clip is worthwhile.

Mr. Body
07-30-2015, 09:30 PM

This is why their former teams never even sniffed the playoffs.

There's a large patch of floor where David West hit 52% of his midrange jumpers.

playbonner15
07-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Dafuq you on?

barbacoataco
07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
It should definitely help the spacing. However, an elite mid-range jump shooter (50%) is only as efficient as a below-average three point shooter (33.3%). That and a three point shooter draws his man even further from the basket. This is why getting Aldridge to make threes at even a 35% clip is worthwhile.

West also manages to take a few FT per game, so it's not quite as easy as that. Also, open 3pt shots vanish on the playoffs, but a big like West can still get his shot off.

TheGreatYacht
07-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Shits gonna be fun

Old School 44
07-30-2015, 10:19 PM
With the personnel the Spurs have now they can play any style. They can go big, they can go small. They can go to the rim, mid range or all the way out to the three point line. I think it's going to be a crazy year, 65+ wins. The team is so deep. Even with a conservative Pop resting guys, I still think we will get to that lofty win total.

Lerojo
07-30-2015, 10:55 PM
West just needs to be our Alpha male.

When Pop orders some nasty, West's job is to enforce it. We badly needed a hardass on this team and we got it with West. This is going to be a fun season!!

Axegrinder
07-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Always need a dude like West on your team. I think his new teammates are going to love playing beside him

spurs10
07-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Great guy and coming for the rght reasons, "to win games!"

ceperez
07-30-2015, 11:18 PM

Exactly. The mid range two point shot is practically worthless. Last season I've seen West start taking 3 point shots. He's got great form and high accuracy, so I think he could improve in this area.

The 3 point shot also ensures spacing for the folks attacking the rim, so it servers a dual purpose in the offense.

Mnky
07-30-2015, 11:36 PM
These are two of the best mid range jumpers in the game. Every team struggles to cover it. It's not worthless in the least bit. Go watch their games against okc, clippers, and new Orleans and see how the big defenders are forced out of the paint to cover those jumpers. It makes life ridiculously easier on Parker, Kawhi, and ginobilli with the inside game. You cover the drive and get a wide open mid range. Those guys don't miss wide open shots.
Does anyone remember how deflating it was when Ibaka was hitting those on us? Right after we had shut down a Westbrook or Durant drive.
Not to mention Kawhi lives in that area and it works well for him. We have never had a midrange shooter besides Parker, and when he was hitting them we were unstoppable into the finals.

YGWHI
07-31-2015, 01:29 AM
With the personnel the Spurs have now they can play any style. They can go big, they can go small. They can go to the rim, mid range or all the way out to the three point line. I think it's going to be a crazy year, 65+ wins. The team is so deep. Even with a conservative Pop resting guys, I still think we will get to that lofty win total.

Teams generally aren't built this way, with 9/10 players who can play at least play 20 minutes at high level. Deepest team in the league.

tatteredprince
07-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Exactly. The mid range two point shot is practically worthless. Last season I've seen West start taking 3 point shots. He's got great form and high accuracy, so I think he could improve in this area.

The 3 point shot also ensures spacing for the folks attacking the rim, so it servers a dual purpose in the offense.

-------------------------------------------------

I dont understand this midrange thing

Would you explain how the midrange two pointer is worthless??

Spur|n|Austin
07-31-2015, 03:03 AM
This is why their former teams never even sniffed the playoffs..

Wait. What? Lol

Axegrinder
07-31-2015, 03:46 AM
Ya this page went shittake quick:lol

San Antonio Slayer
07-31-2015, 04:06 AM
when it comes to clutch offense even Durant with his alien wingspan can't get an uncontested shot against a good defensive effort. no need to argue its easier to score contested 2PT than contested 3PT. Timmy could score only a wild baby hook and I doubt he is too consistent with his bankshot after 30 minutes of playing time. West and Aldridge are monsters of 2 PT jumpshots and that's a pure advantage for us in the clutch.

spursistan
07-31-2015, 05:34 AM
Folks talk about West's midrange J but what i'm more intrigued about most is how this great passing big will fare in our system..D West is career 2.3 assist per game peaking last year with 3.4 APG :wow..Damn boy that second unit helmed by Manu with Boris + D West+ Mills + maybe Kawhi/Green is going to obliterate the league string stringers :hat

spurspokesman
07-31-2015, 07:37 AM
All my friends are calling me psychic as I always said him and Aldridge would one day be spurs. Just never thought they'd sign a few days apart. I'm lovin it

Spurs9
07-31-2015, 08:38 AM

Shits gonna be fun
When it rains it pours tbqh

TheDoctor
07-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Just having his presence and character in our bench made us a lot stronger. And it showed when David accepted less money for playing in the right system and for the right goals. It's evidently that that means more to him than money at this stage of his career. Really glad to have you David.

Spurtacular
07-31-2015, 09:09 AM
Blake Griffin was a huge beneficiary of the Splitter injury. I'm hoping that LMA and West can give him fits if we should play the Clips in another playoff series. Cos BG just wasn't even challenged at either end of the court in that series.

Othyus Lalanne
07-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Great guy and coming for the rght reasons, "to win games!"

I was really glad to hear this. I had a suspicion that he just wants to replace Patty in those HEB commercials.

kobyz
07-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Pop doesn't know how to use mid range shooting bigs like LMA and West, it's a problem...

Keepin' it real
07-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Pop doesn't know how to use mid range shooting bigs like LMA and West, it's a problem...

http://www.ee0r.com/lolckyhorror/28-ohnoes.jpg

littlecoyotecoin
07-31-2015, 09:39 AM

Except the exact opposite. Pop gets Tim that open 18 footer any time he wants it. Tim just can't knock it down. Let's see if these guys can.

dweaver99027
07-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Barrimg a McDyess / RJ level of age related decline, he'll still be a starting PF caliber player for us.

wildbill2u
07-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Pop was the first coach in the league to figure out the dynamics of the three point shot as a invaluable attack weapon if the shooting % is over 33%. However, he also designed an offense that uses that threat to open the lanes for drivers AND FOR PULL UP MID RANGE JUMPERS. You aren't going to be able to shoot nothing but 3s all night in every game.

So the answer to a complete offensive strategy is balance. LMA and West can also drive and pick up fouls from the position on the elbow of the lane. And our guards can continue to play off the bigs in P/Rs and pick up the layups or short range pullups.

I don't see any of our old 3pt shooters or guards complaining about the midrange skills of the new guys. Pop will figure out the right offense and we'll be fine. Fine as his good wine.

hater
07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Barrimg a McDyess / RJ level of age related decline, he'll still be a starting PF caliber player for us.

RJ was not age related. The guy is a fucking pussy

And MCDyess was a fucking dinosaur when we got him. :lol

dweaver99027
07-31-2015, 11:59 AM
RJ was not age related. The guy is a fucking pussy And MCDyess was a fucking dinosaur when we got him. :lol Yeah, RJ was a bad fit for the system, bball wise and mentally , although getting older didn't help either. Dice was a functioning T-Rex in a 6th mab role with the Pistons a year before he became a fossil for us 5 months later. Not everyone ages like Tim beyond 34.

sexinthatsx
07-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Ya this page went shittake quick:lol

This is why after reading a username like "PlayBonner" will give you a biased thread without so much as looking at the thread title.

Agloco
07-31-2015, 02:13 PM

There's a large patch of floor where David West hit 52% of his midrange jumpers.

Wait. What? Lol

Dafuq you on?

Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text. Would have worked better if the sentence ended in "right?" Or "amirite?". Right? :lol

Spur|n|Austin
07-31-2015, 03:19 PM
Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text. Would have worked better if the sentence ended in "right?" Or "amirite?". Right? :lol

I see now haha, hope it was sarcasm :lol

Chris
07-31-2015, 03:39 PM
West was always a Spurs killer and came off kinda cocky so I hated him tbh

random21
07-31-2015, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=sexinthatsx;8148428]You're right, we should just play Matt Bonner 48 minutes and have him launch 3's non stop.[/QUOTE

:lol

DenialTwist
08-01-2015, 03:54 AM
Blake Griffin was a huge beneficiary of the Splitter injury. I'm hoping that LMA and West can give him fits if we should play the Clips in another playoff series. Cos BG just wasn't even challenged at either end of the court in that series.

The ESPN and NBA analysts talked about Griffin like he was Lebron 2.0 during that Clippers/Spurs series. They basically said he was unstoppable. Well, now that the spurs have LMA and West he will have a harder time on the defensive end. And even though the clippers got deeper, Doc Rivers still has a habit of playing only 6 deep in the playoffs, so that will wear out Griffin again. Remember when ESPN even had an article about how Griffin learned to be a leader because he attended a meeting with Duncan?

Spurtacular
08-01-2015, 04:04 AM
The ESPN and NBA analysts talked about Griffin like he was Lebron 2.0 during that Clippers/Spurs series. They basically said he was unstoppable. Well, now that the spurs have LMA and West he will have a harder time on the defensive end. And even though the clippers got deeper, Doc Rivers still has a habit of playing only 6 deep in the playoffs, so that will wear out Griffin again. Remember when ESPN even had an article about how Griffin learned to be a leader because he attended a meeting with Duncan?

In fairness to the announcers, Blake looked like Lebron 2.0 relative to how the Spurs played him. Splitter would get the ball up top of the key and Blake could just get two or three whacks at the ball while Splitter just had to take it. And an injured Splitter just couldn't cover the ground needed and Blake got open looks all day. He was doing the turn into your opponent shot on Splitter like he wasn't even there because Splitter was clearly fearful of straining something if he tried to muscle him up. A healthy West could really put an end to a lot of that nonsense, I'm hoping. Even if West has a limited regular season role, I really think that's where he'll have added value in these grind-out match-ups in the playoffs.

dweaver99027
08-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Blake Griffin when his jumper is dropping is unstoppable, period. Fatigue is the only thing that can stop him in 4th quarters, as we saw both against the Spurs and Rockets.

Spurtacular
08-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Blake Griffin when his jumper is dropping is unstoppable, period. Fatigue is the only thing that can stop him in 4th quarters, as we saw both against the Spurs and Rockets.

He's a tougher guard in that scenario (especially for a slower 4). But he's far from unstoppable. But DJ's abilities at the rim make it so the 5 make it so the center can't double, and teams take too much risk doubling off of Reddick or Paul. That meant that the double had to come from Barnes's defender; and that can't always happen. So, basically you need a guy who can hold his own 1 v 1 with Blake. That was not Splitter. I'd argue that at least in limited minutes, that can be West; and Aldridge's length can give Blake problems on the shot on the post and the pass to DJ. Splitter was just duck on the water.

dweaver99027
08-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Agreed, he can be slowed 1 on 1 by a good, long, athletic 4, like a focused Josh Smith in the WCSF. Just bodying him up with a strong heavy 4 like West seems iffy to me.

Spurtacular
08-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Agreed, he can be slowed 1 on 1 by a good, long, athletic 4, like a focused Josh Smith in the WCSF. Just bodying him up with a strong heavy 4 like West seems iffy to me.

West would have issues with Blake on the perimeter. But he wouldn't be getting owned in the post like Splitter; and he would be making him work on the other end of the court as well. Blake can't be averaging 24 and 12 against you. 19 and 8, sure.

dweaver99027
08-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Agreed again, that's why i mentioned Blake's jumper dropping. He gets the ball in the high post and is an elite triple threat facing up. Much more effective than him waiting for an entry pass down low. It all depends on his mid ranger.