View Full Version : Former Cowboy, Oiler Fritsch dead at 60

Jimcs50
09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Sept. 14, 2005, 12:51AM

Former Oiler Fritsch dead at 60
Austrian-born kicker dependable cog in Luv Ya Blue
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Former Oilers quarterback Dan Pastorini could not believe the news that Toni Fritsch, the popular Austrian kicker during the Luv Ya Blue era, had died of a heart attack Tuesday at 60.

Fritsch, an icon in Austria because of his performances for the national soccer team before he left in 1971 to play for the Dallas Cowboys, suffered a fatal heart attack after dining at a restaurant in Vienna.

"I'm shocked, to say the least," Pastorini said. "If you didn't like Toni Fritsch, you didn't have a heart."

Coach Bum Phillips brought Fritsch to Houston in 1977, and he kicked for the Oilers for five years, including playoff seasons in 1978, '79 and '80.

"Toni always had a smile on his face," Pastorini said. "Everybody on the team liked and respected him. The news today tore a hole in my heart because we'd remained friends. Toni always called me when he came to town. He was a special individual who had a great heart."

During Fritsch's first three years with the Oilers, Pastorini was his holder.

"Toni was as much a part of those Luv Ya Blue teams as anybody," Pastorini said. "We always knew that if we could get the ball within Toni's range, he was going to make the kick. I've never seen a more accurate kicker in my life. Toni was a magician with his feet."

Fritsch resided in Houston for several years. He had homes in Houston and Austria and divided time between his adopted hometown and Vienna.

Fritsch, who loved to show fans the Super Bowl ring he won after the 1971 season in which the Cowboys defeated Miami, was an engaging storyteller who loved to entertain anyone who would listen about being scouted and signed by former Cowboys coach Tom Landry and personnel director Gil Brandt.

"I had no idea what American football was, and I couldn't speak a word of English when they came to see me," Fritsch said during a trip to Houston last year. "But they gave me a football and showed me how to kick it, so I did. The next thing I knew, they were offering me money to come to America to play this strange sport. When I got off the plane in Dallas, they sent Dan Reeves to pick me up.

"When I played for the Cowboys, everyone would talk to me, and I had no idea what they were saying. When I lined up to kick, (opposing) players were screaming and calling me all kinds of names, but I didn't know it until I learned enough English for my teammates to tell me about it."

:depressed

I loved this guy when he was with the Oilers.

RIP Tony.

:(

samikeyp
09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I loved this guy when he was with the Oilers.

So did I. :depressed

Horry For 3!
09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.sportsattic.com/nflphoto/photos10/Fritsch,Toni3.jpg

Horry For 3!
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
http://augenexil.com/events/fussball/images/03.jpg

Taco
09-14-2005, 02:23 PM
:(