PDA

View Full Version : If Tim Duncan demanded to be traded what could we get for him?

George Gervin's Afro
09-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Now I know the possibility of this happening is very rare but with us still in the midst of the offseason I thought this would be an interesting question. For instance if this scenario came to fruition I could see the Spurs trying to trade him to team with a young superstar. Someone like Dwight Howard would interest me from Orlando or maybe Emeka Okafor..etc..Please don't assume that I do not understand that we would never get equal value for Tim but it would be interesting..

batman2883
09-14-2005, 08:36 AM
this is the dumbest thread i have ever read....no offense but the thought of trading tim should never ever even come close to a spurs fans mind

Dex
09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Duncan > Okafor+Howard

If Hell froze over and we were going to trade Tim, it would be a blockbuster deal like that of the Shaq move. For a team to get Duncan on board, they would probably have to give up one superstar/franchise player, plus one or two other starters / strong bench players. Even Los Angeles was scolded for trading Shaq for what, like 3/5s of the Miami starting lineup that made the semis in 2004.

The only 1-man trades I could see going down would be Duncan for Garnett, Duncan for Lebron, Duncan for Shaq (heaven forbid), maybe Kobe (ditto) and TMac. Besides that, I think they would have to throw in a pretty good kicker for SA to even nibble on that bait.

But Duncan's still > all of them, too.

So it's still never gonna happen.

ObiwanGinobili
09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry.. my soul will not allow me to entertain such blasphemous thoughts.

batman2883
09-14-2005, 08:43 AM
mine either obi.....are you calling me an asshole obi?

George Gervin's Afro
09-14-2005, 08:43 AM
this is the dumbest thread i have ever read....no offense but the thought of trading tim should never ever even come close to a spurs fans mind

Well no offense but no one ever thought Snaq would be traded from LA either.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Tim for the Bobcats. I don't mean just the players, the whole damn franchise. Then we'd still have Tim!

Seriously I think it would be for someone young like Howard, plus a handful of draft picks, maybe throw in a long three that the Spurs have been searching for. Of course, if Tim Duncan starts demanding a trade I would just as soon stop cheering for the Spurs. He's said (and has proven) that as long as San Antonio is dedicated to winning he wants to be here. If the Spurs have stopped being dedicated to winning why the fuck would I cheer for them?

Thankfully this is in the "never ever" file. I wish the season would start already so we can start talking about real basketball.

Dex
09-14-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry.. my soul will not allow me to entertain such blasphemous thoughts.

There's a reason they call it a hypothetical question, guys.

batman2883
09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
it would have to be a three way trade that would send duncan somewhere, bringing Paul Pierce, TMAC, and Yao Ming to the spurs

boutons
09-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Kareem was traded
Wilt was traded
Jerry W was traded
Oscar was traded
Sir Charles was traded

Legends/Franchise players/HOFers get traded.

I would like to think, like all of us, that there was something special about the Spurs-Tim relationship, but "it's a business".

batman2883
09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
David never got traded, you forget san antonio is loyal to its players in a matter of which i think Pop will never deal duncan

Dex
09-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Nobody THINKS Duncan will ever go anywhere. The realm of such a possibility, especially considering his loyalty, the loyalty of this franchise, and his successful tenure in SA, is a very, very small one. But I think what people are saying is, a small chance is still a chance. Stranger things HAVE happened.

Nobody ever thought Shaq would leave the Lakers, either. And he was quoted on many occasions as saying "I want to be a Laker for life. I want to see my jersey in those rafters someday"

Fortunately, I put Tim's loyalty and personality on a level above Shaq's, which is why I don't feel bad hypothetically questioning his trade worth, because as long as pigs stay grounded, it's never going to be an issue.

SWC Bonfire
09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
If Tim Duncan demanded to be traded what could we get for him?

Canada.

Dex
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Canada.

:lol

And maybe the draft rights to New Canada.

And a bag of Funyans. Economy size.

ObiwanGinobili
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
mine either obi.....are you calling me an asshole obi?

:lol well .. if you want my lovin.. it ain't all peaches & cream! :lol

Tim for the Bobcats. I don't mean just the players, the whole damn franchise. Then we'd still have Tim!

and 1/2 of the Hawks. :tu

batman2883
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Shaq got traded because his relationship with the owner and Kobe....and because Phil Jackson was basically fired.....he had reasons to leave...Tim has none...the fact is, We kept David because he showed how he was a great San Antonian....he did his community duties...he played with heart....he was a great player and we never traded him...Tim could have left us if he wanted to and he chose to stay put, just as i believe Pop will never trade him.

mookie2001
09-14-2005, 10:24 AM
hopefully at least Jeff Foster

Mixability
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
David never got traded, you forget san antonio is loyal to its players in a matter of which i think Pop will never deal duncan

DRob was on the trading block once, anyone remember the David for Chris Webber fiasco!?!?! :drunk

SpursWoman
09-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Kareem was traded
Wilt was traded
Jerry W was traded
Oscar was traded
Sir Charles was traded

Legends/Franchise players/HOFers get traded.

I would like to think, like all of us, that there was something special about the Spurs-Tim relationship, but "it's a business".

George Gervin was traded, too. :fro

batman2883
09-14-2005, 10:33 AM
it never happened though, we were never going to trade David...

Mixability
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
it never happened though, we were never going to trade David...

but the possibility was there, so loyalty is not always something to rely on.

Medvedenko
09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
How about for Eric and Aaron Williams...plus Zo's contract....
Guys, you'd never get proper value for this trade. That's the point...Shaq demanded a trade to a select amount of teams. The Lakers didn't want him in the West...so they traded him to Miami. Wade was supposed to be part of that deal at one point...fell through financially.

David@SLCC
09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Our proposal:

Greg Ostertag + Collins Twin + "Get out of Jail Free" card

Give us a call,
-Jazz Management

JamStone
09-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Fair trade scenarios in terms of value and salaries that both teams would AT LEAST consider:

1. Kevin Garnett straight up
2. Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa for TD and Bruce Bowen
3. Dwight Howard and Grant Hill for TD and Bruce Bowen
4. LeBron James, Drew Gooden, Anderson Varejao, and Eric Snow for Tim Duncan and a number 1 draft pick
5. Jermaine O'Neal, Danny Granger, Fred Jones and David Harrison for Tim Duncan and Nazr Mohammed

Kori Ellis
09-14-2005, 11:34 AM
If we had to trade him, I'd want LeBron or Amare.

dunkman
09-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Amare and another all-star.

batman2883
09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Amare and Tmac would do

nkdlunch
09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
:vomit to all above possible trades.

Never gonna happen

picnroll
09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Maybe to Seattle for Microsoft.

sanman53
09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Chris Webber for Duncan

JUST JOKING, lets all pray this thread topic never happens...

Spurminator
09-14-2005, 11:58 AM
If Tim Duncan demanded a trade, there would be something going on that would decrease his value. I don't think we'd be able to get an Amare or Lebron or even Dwyane Wade for him...

Superstar-for-Superstar trades are rare... It's likely we'd have to settle for a lower-tier All Star like Jermaine O'Neal and some above average filler.

Best player I could see us getting is Kobe or Dirk (and only because the Lakers may want to rebuild and Mark Cuban decides the fate of Dirk), but that wouldn't be enough and I don't know that I'd want anyone else on either of those teams.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree, if Duncan demanded it, it would be public knowledge and the same thing would happen as did with Shaq and the Lakers.

LilMissSPURfect
09-14-2005, 12:54 PM
ill take shaq!.
NOT!!!!

mavsfan1000
09-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Duncan for Lebron.

smdanss
09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Now I know the possibility of this happening is very rare but with us still in the midst of the offseason I thought this would be an interesting question. For instance if this scenario came to fruition I could see the Spurs trying to trade him to team with a young superstar. Someone like Dwight Howard would interest me from Orlando or maybe Emeka Okafor..etc..Please don't assume that I do not understand that we would never get equal value for Tim but it would be interesting..

Tim Duncan is the main post and strong hope of Spurs. We don't want to be messed up by the haters.
Lakers fan should talk about if KB, Jerry Buss or cheerleaders nacy, nicole demand a trade in their own board. How would you think?

George Gervin's Afro
09-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Tim Duncan is the main post and strong hope of Spurs. We don't want to be messed up by the haters.
Lakers fan should talk about if KB, Jerry Buss or cheerleaders nacy, nicole demand a trade in their own board. How would you think?

Will someone translate this post for me? I am not sure if I should be insulted because it seems to me this person has pegged me a faker fan?... Ok I almost puked when I wrote that.. being a faker fan.. oh there it goes again..

MiNuS
09-14-2005, 01:42 PM
if Duncan "demanded" to be traded Im pretty sure something would be going wrong in the front office or with Pop.It wouldn't just happen out of the blue.
In cases where players demand to be traded the team's front office is either not showing respect to that individual "star" player or is not making the moves to make the team a contender.
The Spur's organization is a straight forward organization and doesn't bullshit around winning in all aspects.If all of a sudden Tim Duncan becomes a "bitch" and a "prima donna" then I just say get rid of the guy.Thanks for your services and the Spurs move on.

What do we get for him depends on when this hypothetical topic happens.If it happens this year the Spurs should get at least three great players(not average players) that want to win. Tmac,Lebron,and or Garnett. As long as the Spurs keep
Manu and Parker this team is still an above 50 win team.

nkdlunch
09-14-2005, 02:49 PM
If Tim Duncan demanded to be traded what could we get for him?

we get him an ass beating so he stops demanding to be traded.

batman2883
09-14-2005, 02:57 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha, we throw him a towel party

Taking it to the Hole
09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
None of the above mentioned are worth trading Tim for, because they all haven't proved anything. Even Shaq and Kobe haven't proved that they can carry a franchise on their own shoulders. Tim has done this and in my mind that makes Tim untradable.

batman2883
09-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay i got it, we can trade Tim only if we get in return

TMAC
Amare
and Jessica Alba look alikes for every male in San Antonio....

MiNuS
09-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Tim Duncan is to the Spurs
like the Alamo is to San Antonio Tx.

:cry

MiNuS
09-14-2005, 03:06 PM

TMAC
Amare
settle for a look-a-like,I think not Mr!

:lol

50 cent
09-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Best player I could see us getting is Kobe or Dirk (and only because the Lakers may want to rebuild and Mark Cuban decides the fate of Dirk), but that wouldn't be enough and I don't know that I'd want anyone else on either of those teams.
That would be the day I stopped rooting for the Spurs and started rooting for the Mavs. I hate faggot ass Dirk. I swear, the guy is gay as a $3 bill. I see him out in Uptown Dallas all the time and he is always with some dude and never even talks to girls. :td

50 cent
09-14-2005, 03:27 PM

TMAC
Amare
Hmm, I'm starting to like this idea... :drunk

SoupIsGood
09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Anyone but LeBron.

Horry For 3!
09-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Tim Duncan = David Robinson.....Spurs 4 Life :smokin

ducks
09-14-2005, 04:04 PM
lakers still should offer kobe for james

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 04:09 PM
sinner how dare you say that, now you will go to hell and pay for this. j/k

but don't ever think of such a horrible thing like this, it shouldn't cross us spurs fans minds.

zocool16
09-14-2005, 04:10 PM
the spurs are not THAT loyal... i mean they did trade Avery Johnson

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
the spurs are not THAT loyal... i mean they did trade Avery Johnson
yeah but that was Aver.

Mixability
09-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Amare and Tmac would do

i hope you mean Amare or Tmac, cause TD at his age would barely be able to get us Amare.

yeahone
09-14-2005, 05:27 PM

I would trade duncan for Darko...

romsey31
09-14-2005, 05:29 PM
If Tim Duncan demanded a trade, there would be something going on that would decrease his value. I don't think we'd be able to get an Amare or Lebron or even Dwyane Wade for him...

Superstar-for-Superstar trades are rare... It's likely we'd have to settle for a lower-tier All Star like Jermaine O'Neal and some above average filler.

LMAO J O is a lower-tier All Star? Wasnt he just 3rd in MVP Voting?

Mixability
09-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I would trade duncan for Darko...

you better share that Dro you're smoking! :smokin

SoupIsGood
09-14-2005, 05:32 PM
LMAO J O is a lower-tier All Star? Wasnt he just 3rd in MVP Voting?

Steve Nash just won MVP. :drunk I still consider him a lower tier all star.

yeahone
09-14-2005, 05:51 PM
am Darko is te future of the League watcha as he averages/15 and 10 off the bench,,you would said i told you so.

SenorSpur
09-14-2005, 06:58 PM
It must be summer

Sense
09-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Well no offense but no one ever thought Snaq would be traded from LA either.

Are you serious?

Many people expected it. You're talking about TIM DUNCAN.

This thread is stupid to me.

Samr
09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I would have to be a three-team trade, or it would completely destroy a current team.

Duncan for KG and someone else (the T-Wolves do not have the tallent to provide us with enough kicker)

Duncan for Francis, Howard, and maybe a Chauncy Billups from another team

Duncan for TMac, Posey, Antoine Walker

Duncan for Pierce, Melo, Camby

Really, I feel stupid even considering the options. It would have to be for an outrageous deal, simply because trading Duncan would be outrageous.

I think a better question would be what would we get for Parker, Manu, or even Bowen?

milkyway21
09-14-2005, 10:53 PM
if Duncan's going anywhere i want him to consider playing for New York or Philadelphia for whoever is available for the trade.
I love NY. and my 2nd favorite player is Iverson. If I'd stop cheering for the Spurs bec Tim is no longer around I'd love to cheer for these 2 teams :angel.

Duncan and IA playing together? wow:wow