PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Question about the term 3-peat

Biggems
07-31-2015, 10:42 PM
Isn't the term 3-peat actually a misnomer?

If you think about it, it means that you repeated as Champion 3 times......which would mean that you actually won 4 Championships in a row. You win the initial title, and then you repeat three times, for the 3-peat.

The correct term should probably be 2-peat.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-31-2015, 10:52 PM
No shade but I'm pretty sure you're the only one who cares about this.

Infinite_limit
07-31-2015, 10:58 PM
It's a slang term

Reck
07-31-2015, 11:18 PM

Not really. lakerfans live for that little catchphrase.

They think it's other worldly. :lol

Thread
07-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Not really. lakerfans live for that little catchphrase.

They think it's other worldly. :lol

We've been nurtured---repeatedly. You? You remain innately ignorant.

Reck
07-31-2015, 11:38 PM
We've been nurtured---repeatedly. You? You remain innately ignorant.

I could say I 3-peated 2 seperate times if I was a bandwagoner. I was a Bulls fan back in the 90s.

But I dont count rings that aren't mine, Cub. You shouldn't either.

Thread
07-31-2015, 11:46 PM
I could say I 3-peated 2 seperate times if I was a bandwagoner. I was a Bulls fan back in the 90s.

But I dont count rings that aren't mine, Cub. You shouldn't either.

I never defend my fandom.

It's my religion.

Reck
08-01-2015, 12:28 AM
I never defend my fandom.

It's my religion.

You just did. See post #5.

Mitch
08-01-2015, 12:45 AM
I agree, it's a repeat... a repeat of being a true champion since the count starts after the first title.

Thread
08-01-2015, 12:48 AM
You just did. See post #5.

Please.

HemisfairArena
08-01-2015, 01:01 AM
The summer of Reck

Mark Celibate
08-01-2015, 04:09 AM
I think the prefix "re-" itself has the meaning of double, twice or again, like when you say some team re-signs a star you mean the team signs that star back or signs him again, the unspoken meaning is that the player has played for that team before. Another example, the word "re-stacked" means being stacked again. The meaning that OP thinks of by the term 3-peat would be best expressed as 3-repeat imho, say "repeating 3 times".

In fact, the term "repeat" doesn't necessarily mean doing something for two or more consecutive times, like we can still say we want a repeat of 2011 even though it is already 4 years ago. As I comprehend that word, "repeat" is only used in reference to the last time when something happened, which happened again at present time, so it only includes two occasions imho. If it happens for the third time then you can say "it repeats again". But in certain contexts, like NBA, "repeat" means "winning championships in two consecutive years", hence when some team wins championships 3 years in a row, people naturally think of the term "3-peat" (simply replacing "re" with "3").

English logic is just not easy to understand and it can be very confusing sometimes. Like, when you say "your school is twice larger than mine", the meaning of the sense is equivalent to "your school is twice as large as mine", so here you have the equation: "twice larger than" = "twice as large". But to a foreigner whose first language isn't English, if you say something is twice larger than something else, he may most likely comprehend your words as "something is three times as large as something else". However, when you say "The Spurs have won 4 more rings than the Mavs", there's no ambiguity in it.

Thread
08-01-2015, 05:57 AM
The summer of Reck

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Thread
08-01-2015, 06:01 AM
However, when you say "The Spurs have won 4 more rings than the Mavs", there's no ambiguity in it.

Or, put another way the Spurs came home 3-2 & still couldn't ambiguia.

Sportcamper
08-01-2015, 07:59 AM
To the great franchises that have experienced a 3-Peat, no explanation is needed…:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

To the losers who have never experienced a 3-Peat or even a 2-Peat…No explanation is given….:loser

baseline bum
08-01-2015, 08:52 AM
To the great franchises that have experienced a 3-Peat, no explanation is needed…:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

To the losers who have never experienced a 3-Peat or even a 2-Peat…No explanation is given….:loser

How is that missing the playoffs threepeat shaping up for this year?

JohnnyMax
08-01-2015, 09:04 AM
I think the prefix "re-" itself has the meaning of double, twice or again, like when you say some team re-signs a star you mean the team signs that star back or signs him again, the unspoken meaning is that the player has played for that team before. Another example, the word "re-stacked" means being stacked again. The meaning that OP thinks of by the term 3-peat would be best expressed as 3-repeat imho, say "repeating 3 times".

In fact, the term "repeat" doesn't necessarily mean doing something for two or more consecutive times, like we can still say we want a repeat of 2011 even though it is already 4 years ago. As I comprehend that word, "repeat" is only used in reference to the last time when something happened, which happened again at present time, so it only includes two occasions imho. If it happens for the third time then you can say "it repeats again". But in certain contexts, like NBA, "repeat" means "winning championships in two consecutive years", hence when some team wins championships 3 years in a row, people naturally think of the term "3-peat" (simply replacing "re" with "3").

English logic is just not easy to understand and it can be very confusing sometimes. Like, when you say "your school is twice larger than mine", the meaning of the sense is equivalent to "your school is twice as large as mine", so here you have the equation: "twice larger than" = "twice as large". But to a foreigner whose first language isn't English, if you say something is twice larger than something else, he may most likely comprehend your words as "something is three times as large as something else". However, when you say "The Spurs have won 4 more rings than the Mavs", there's no ambiguity in it.

Gent
08-01-2015, 09:18 AM

Wow.

The thrill of winning a championship is the same. You don't get any more joy from having won 3 straight championships than when you won your first.

winning is winning guy.

If you want to quantify wins and loses and streaks then how about, winning once...or twice then having a 3+ Year losing streak? That makes you the biggest loser here.

the count is: Lakers have championships under Kobe.
Spurs have championships under Duncan.

That's pretty much a wash.

Lakers have missed playoffs under Kobe: 3 (potential 3 straight misses, 4 total.)
Spurs have missed playoffs under Duncan: 0, nada, zilch, none.

I could keep keep going but you get it...hopefully.

08-01-2015, 09:46 AM

You shut your whore mouth

Kool Bob Love
08-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Overrated. NEXT!

cd021
08-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Good post. Kind of feels like the English language is an unintentional troll, sometimes.

Perfect example:

Goose (1) Geese (more than 1)
Deer ( single and plural)
Duck (1) Ducks (more than 1)
Wolf (1) Wolves (more than 1)
Fox (1) Foxes (more than 1)

Thread
08-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Good post. Kind of feels like the English language is an unintentional troll, sometimes.

Perfect example:

Goose (1) Geese (more than 1)
Deer ( single and plural)
Duck (1) Ducks (more than 1)
Wolf (1) Wolves (more than 1)
Fox (1) Foxes (more than 1)

The Clippers?
The Clippers.

Clipper Nation
08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Lakers have championships under Kobe.
Since when? I remember championships under Shaq and MVPau, but only first-round exits and lottery years under Kirby.

Thread
08-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Since when? I remember championships under Shaq and MVPau, but only first-round exits and lottery years under Kirby.

That's the pussy & chickenshit in ya.

LkrFan
08-01-2015, 03:22 PM

If you think about it, it means that you repeated as Champion 3 times......which would mean that you actually won 4 Championships in a row. You win the initial title, and then you repeat three times, for the 3-peat.

One must learn the term "repeat" first before asking grown folk about "3-peat"
--Confucious

HI-FI
08-01-2015, 04:19 PM
--Confucious
I decree another 3-peat.
--David Stern, 2002

Clipper Nation
08-01-2015, 04:21 PM
--Confucious
You're one to talk about learning English words, Rodrigo. You still running every post through Google Translate before posting them shiiiiiiits? :downspin:

LkrFan
08-01-2015, 04:42 PM
:lmao

Agloco
08-01-2015, 05:44 PM

You've been reduced to this. Coming from anyone else it would be a sad state of affairs indeed. But....we allow you your sandbox old man. When it's Duncan 6 TOSB 5, the piper will be playing loud and clear. There won't be a place for you to hide anymore.

Thread
08-01-2015, 05:49 PM
You've been reduced to this. Coming from anyone else it would be a sad state of affairs indeed. But....we allow you your sandbox old man. When it's Duncan 6 TOSB 5, the piper will be playing loud and clear. There won't be a place for you to hide anymore.

I look forward to the challenge with equal amounts of both anticipation & determination.

Let us proceed...

spurraider21
08-01-2015, 06:02 PM
They played 6 and 7 in Miami you senile fuck

Biggems
08-01-2015, 07:32 PM

I understand how the term came about and who came up with it.

That isn't the point. The point is, it is a misnomer. Like I said, a 3-peat would mean that one would repeat 3 times after the initial one, thus having 4.

Silver&Black
08-01-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

I'll just bet you do.

Thread
08-01-2015, 08:41 PM
They played 6 and 7 in Miami you senile fuck

I'm talkin' about the Clippers series during your quest for repeat.

ha, ha, you're wrong. I got ya for once. muhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Celibate
08-01-2015, 10:02 PM
The point I wanna make is that, 3-peat is a different word than repeat. If the word "repeat" has the meaning of "double", then "3-peat" naturally has the meaning of "triple" imho. Why isn't there such a word like 2-peat? Just to describe a team that has won the championship three times in a row, according to OP's logic? Because most people think differently than the OP does. To them, 2-peat has the same meaning as repeat, and hence 3-peat consequently means three times rather than four.

But again, language ain't natural science, but rather a custom gradually formed against the background of a culture. Therefore, a word that's commonly used in your daily life can never be defined so strictly and vigorously like a physical or mathematical term imho.

Sportcamper
08-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Baseline- This is a trolling thread & I was just playing along...
I always enjoy your great B.B. takes....:tu

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2015, 09:22 AM
is there a term for 4 time lottery?

Mark Celibate
08-02-2015, 09:26 AM
No, because their 2016 pick belongs to Philly now imho.

DMC
08-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah you've never had to consider it.

DMC
08-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I understand how the term came about and who came up with it.

That isn't the point. The point is, it is a misnomer. Like I said, a 3-peat would mean that one would repeat 3 times after the initial one, thus having 4.

You can repeat the previous year's performance, thus a repeat. You do it again and it's repeating the previous year's performance and the original. You have technically 3 repeats..

1. repeating the 1st year
2. repeating the 2nd year
3. repeating the 1st year again (along with the 2nd year repeat)

If you do 10 pushups, you don't do 9 repetitions.

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2015, 11:24 AM
LAKERS remind of those suckers who continue to buy lottery tickets, when everyone is buying syndicates for the higher oddds...

Thread
08-02-2015, 11:27 AM
LAKERS remind of those suckers who continue to buy lottery tickets, when everyone is buying syndicates for the higher oddds...

...you gave your 1st 5th back, daddy. And you ain't ever livin' that down.

Let us proceed...

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
...you gave your 1st 5th back, daddy. And you ain't ever livin' that down.

Let us proceed...

remind everyone how the lakers gave away 4th twice

Thread
08-02-2015, 12:14 PM
remind everyone how the lakers gave away 4th twice

They were selling your shit, stringing your ropes, peelin' your taters.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
08-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah you've never had to consider it.
About the inner workings of this term? No, I don't think about those inconsequential things. Though I bet when you're on your extravagant boat getaways you're thinking of new things to be pointless about out on the dock.

Caltex2
08-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Someone probably beat me to this 30+ posts ago but it's an expansion of the term "repeat." When you repeat, it doesn't mean you've won three and naturally, when you 3-peat, it doesn't mean you've won 4. It also makes sense in that "three" sounds like "re."