PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky man with two teen daughters shoots down peering drone

Fabbs
08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
More and more so-called enthusiasts are sending drones into the sky. This means that more and more normal humans are becoming enthusiastic about shooting them out of the sky.

Especially, as in the case of William H. Merideth, the drone is hovering over your house.

Merideth, 47, lives in Hillview, Kentucky. As WDRB-TV reports, a neighbor heard gunshots and called the police. Merideth allegedly told the police that a drone was hovering over his house, where his teen daughter (he has two) was sunbathing. So he pulled out his gun and gave it a merry death.

The drone's owner, police say, said he was flying it to take pictures of a neighboring house.

However, Merideth told WRDB: "Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor's house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they've got under their back yard. I went and got my shotgun and I said, 'I'm not going to do anything unless it's directly over my property.'"

And then it allegedly was.

Merideth explained: "I didn't shoot across the road, I didn't shoot across my neighbor's fences, I shot directly into the air."

He says that shortly after the shooting, he received a visit from four men who claimed to be responsible for the drone and explaining that it cost $1,800.

Merideth says he stood his ground: "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

There appears not to have been another shooting. However, Merideth was arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief. There is, apparently, a local ordinance that says you can't shoot a gun off in the city, but the police charged him under a Kentucky Revised Statute.

I have contacted both the Hillview Police Department and the FAA to ask for their view on proceedings. I will update, should I hear.

The FAA's recommendations include not flying above 400 feet and "Don't fly near people or stadiums." The FAA adds: "You could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft."

For his part, Merideth says he will sue the drone's owners. He told WRDB: "You know, when you're in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy. We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don't know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."

It is, indeed, hard to know whether things that buzz in the sky have positive or negative intentions. Amateur drones disrupted efforts to fight recent California wildfires to such a degree that there's now a $75,000 reward for anyone who identifies those responsible. A Southern California lawmaker has created a bill that would make it legal for the authorities to shoot these drones out of the sky.

On the other hand, medical researchers are wondering if drones could be very useful in being able to quickly transport vital medical supplies.

More Technically Incorrect

Dashcam catches off-duty cop threatening to put 'hole in head' of driver
Tom Brady's Deflategate riposte: I switched from Samsung to iPhone 6. So?
Doh! Teens sold iPhones that were Play-Doh bricks, police say
It's not hard to have some sympathy with Merideth, if not with his draconian methods of sanction.

This case echoes one from last year when a New Jersey man allegedly took a hovering drone out with a bullet.

But this sort of incident will only get more complicated as companies such as Amazon begin to fly drones that deliver underwear and nail clippers.

Drones aren't supposed to fly over buildings. Surely Amazon's flying machines won't be able to avoid such an event.

Please imagine your neighborhood airspace suddenly full of undergarments, toys, books and other coveted items floating through the air after the drone carrying them was shot down.

Every day will feel like Christmas.

Fabbs
08-01-2015, 10:13 AM
https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/NZa0NbX2ubR7gS8CclPRgw--/YXBwaWQ9bWFnYXppbmVzO3c9ODAw/https://s.yimg.com/os/en-US/homerun/cnet.cbs.com/4627f40ae1309b583c5187f1bc53e5ab
William Merideth, drone shooter. WDRB-TV screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET
We need to talk anti-aircraft weaponry.

Fabbs
08-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Original article from CNET gives drone owners account:

However, the drone's owner, David Boggs, has now come forward to suggest that Merideth's story may not be quite factual.

He has produced a video to WRDB that he says tracks the flight data recorder from his iPad. He said that at no point did the drone fly low over Merideth's property. He insists it never went below 193 feet.

He also disputes that the drone hovered. He said of his flight data video: "We are right now 1 minute, 56 seconds over the drone slayer's house. We're still not on his property line -- we're just now getting ready to cross it. In less than 2 seconds...we are outside of his property, still at 272 feet. He shot the drone here, and you'll see it rapidly lose altitude, and the drone crash. Boom -- there it goes."
http://www.cnet.com/news/man-shoots-down-drone-hovering-over-house/

InRareForm
08-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Definitely looks like a dude who will shoot anything that crosses his lawn.

Inbred
08-01-2015, 11:43 AM
That there is some mighty fine shootin'.

Fabbs
08-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Definitely looks like a dude who will shoot anything that crosses his lawn.
Not at all.
More info from a tv stations website. (Sorry i had not seen this earlier.)
Neighbors verify his account.

Merideth's neighbors saw it too.

"It was just hovering above our house and it stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off," said neighbor Kim VanMeter.

VanMeter has a 16-year-old daughter who lays out at their pool. She says a drone hovering with a camera is creepy and weird.

"I just think you should have privacy in your own backyard," she said.

Merideth agrees and said he had to go see for himself.

“Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor’s house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got in their back yard," Merideth said. "I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’"

Merideth said he's offering no apologies for what he did.

"He didn’t just fly over," he said. "If he had been moving and just kept moving, that would have been one thing -- but when he come directly over our heads, and just hovered there, I felt like I had the right."

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/hillview-man-arrested-for-shooting-down-drone-cites-right-to-privacy

z0sa
08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Id do the same thing. The drone owner denies it ever even hovered, yet it seems unlikely he'd have so easily blasted it down if it never stopped moving or came lower than 193 feet.

Pauly D
08-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't blame him. This isn't one of those beach situations. You should have the expectation of privacy if your yard is surrounded by wooden fences. The precedent has to be set now before "the sky" in general is seen as free space regardless of where it's over

ChumpDumper
08-01-2015, 12:52 PM
I doubt it was 10 feet off the ground, but the drone owner sure isn't quick to show his footage, is he?

So what if the drone was outside the property line but angling the camera to film into it?

What about a regular helicopter with a zoom lens flying high but directly over the property?

Nobody tell this guy about Google Earth.

Gonna be tough to write legislation.

InRareForm
08-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Might as well stay in the house in the corner hunched over in fetal position Tbh

DJR210
08-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Affordable camera drones opening up all type of new opportunities for stalkers and peeping toms.

Pauly D
08-01-2015, 02:51 PM
I doubt it was 10 feet off the ground, but the drone owner sure isn't quick to show his footage, is he?

So what if the drone was outside the property line but angling the camera to film into it?

What about a regular helicopter with a zoom lens flying high but directly over the property?

Gonna be tough to write legislation.

none of those things can compare to a drone and you know it

Affordable camera drones opening up all type of new opportunities for stalkers and peeping toms.

Exactly

ChumpDumper
08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
none of those things can compare to a drone and you know itOf course they can.

Shit, you could stand on a ladder and see into a backyard.

And one of the examples I cited had a drone in it.

Pauly D
08-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Of course they can.

Shit, you could stand on a ladder and see into a backyard.

And one of the examples I cited had a drone in it.

If you're going to peep over a fence you at least have to be there in person. There's a reason people don't just grab their recorders and film people in backyards. As far as a drone that's not over someone's property, I'd say just make a required altitude range in residential areas. That's the best I got on that one. And helicopters?! Yeah, just let me grab my helicopter real quick so I can perve on some girls. Not an issue

ChumpDumper
08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
If you're going to peep over a fence you at least have to be there in person. There's a reason people don't just grab their recorders and film people in backyards. As far as a drone that's not over someone's property, I'd say just make a required altitude range in residential areas. That's the best I got on that one. And helicopters?! Yeah, just let me grab my helicopter real quick so I can perve on some girls. Not an issueJust because you can't afford it doesn't make it impossible.

PeepingTom
08-01-2015, 06:00 PM

:tu :tu

Bender
08-01-2015, 06:53 PM
a 40mm Glock is a big fucking gun

"I had my 40 mm Glock on me.."

Reck
08-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Suddenly locating a few blacks became that much easier for Blake. All they gotta do is follow the drone back to the cuck's house. The dirtier they look the more the wife will enjoy.

m>s
08-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah dude I really want one as my next fun purchase..would be fun to shoot IMO

SpursforSix
08-01-2015, 10:23 PM

What are you talking about?

Silver&Black
08-02-2015, 12:15 AM

True Dat....

I need to look into getting one tbqh.

DJR210
08-02-2015, 05:00 AM
True Dat....

Sup Wild Cobra

DJR210
08-02-2015, 05:02 AM
Yeah dude I really want one as my next fun purchase..would be fun to shoot IMO

Model 29 FTW

Fabbs
08-03-2015, 01:49 AM
Could some of you trolls make yourselves useful and post photos of the sunbathing girls in question?

Bender
08-03-2015, 06:40 AM

What are you talking about?

Merideth says he stood his ground: "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

pay attention. no one else noticed this, so I brought it up.

Blake
08-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Suddenly locating a few blacks became that much easier for Blake. All they gotta do is follow the drone back to the cuck's house. The dirtier they look the more the wife will enjoy.

that's very detailed information tbh

Blake
08-03-2015, 09:11 AM
True Dat....

And yeah...considering I'm a Christian....

Of course

SpursforSix
08-03-2015, 09:16 AM
pay attention. no one else noticed this, so I brought it up.

I was questioning you saying "big fucking gun". When I hear that, I think of a line in a movie. But I never think of someone holding a .40 Glock or any .40 for that matter. It just doesn't seem like a big fucking gun.
It doesn't matter I guess.

Bender
08-03-2015, 11:32 AM
^--- I was joking around with you.

In the article it says he had a 40mm Glock. 40mm is basically an anti-aircraft round or anti-tank round.

"40 caliber" is actually 10mm

SpursforSix
08-03-2015, 11:40 AM
^--- I was joking around with you.

In the article it says he had a 40mm Glock. 40mm is basically an anti-aircraft round or anti-tank round.

"40 caliber" is actually 10mm

Oh shit. It didn't even register. LOL. 40mm would certainly make a hole in the guy.

That could make a funny if improbable story. Some private orders 20,000 rds of 40mm ammo.

Wild Cobra
08-03-2015, 12:14 PM
If the drone was 272 feet up, that guy is a great marksman!

He also disputes that the drone hovered. He said of his flight data video: "We are right now 1 minute, 56 seconds over the drone slayer's house. We're still not on his property line -- we're just now getting ready to cross it. In less than 2 seconds...we are outside of his property, still at 272 feet. He shot the drone here, and you'll see it rapidly lose altitude, and the drone crash. Boom -- there it goes."

These things should not be flying over residential areas. They are mechanical toys that if they break, and kill someone if they fall.

SpursforSix
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
If the drone was 272 feet up, that guy is a great marksman!

These things should not be flying over residential areas. They are mechanical toys that if they break, and kill someone if they fall.

Yeah. I really don't get the other side of that argument. And that's just on the safety issue alone. Seems like an easy way for thieves to case houses or pervs to check out people. I would think there is a simple enough technology that could screw with a drone close to your house. But then I supposed it might conflict with FCC laws or something.

Oh well, I supposed once the terrorists figure them out, no one will be able to have one.

Silver&Black
08-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Of course

It was a joke Blake....

Only a complete idiot (you) thought otherwise.

Blake
08-03-2015, 03:29 PM
It was a joke Blake....

Only a complete idiot (you) thought otherwise.

Oh I know. Plenty of Christians (you) like to joke like that. It's hilarious.

Silver&Black
08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Oh I know. Plenty of Christians (you) like to joke like that. It's hilarious.

Why don't you start another "LMFAO Christians" thread about it?

Reck
08-03-2015, 06:55 PM
that's very detailed information tbh

Always so touchy.

That's why the cuck jokes never end. You're always entertaining it. If that's your way to not make it a big deal, you're failing. Just ignore the jokes and the posts and threads will be less and less...trust me.

Blake
08-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Always so touchy.

That's why the cuck jokes never end. You're always entertaining it. If that's your way to not make it a big deal, you're failing. Just ignore the jokes and the posts and threads will be less and less...trust me.

you seem touchy that I made fun of your lengthy story tbh.

the cuck jokes never end because you and others have length vivid XXX cuckmaginations

Blake
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Why don't you start another "LMFAO Christians" thread about it?

i will when the next good lol Christian news story comes along. Right now i just prefer to lol at messageboard Christian hypocrites (you)

Koolaid_Man
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
This Kentucky dude prolly saw them drones and was like WTF is up with the peeping Toms looking my daughters...thats my fucking pussy :lol

Reck
08-03-2015, 09:58 PM
you seem touchy that I made fun of your lengthy story tbh.

the cuck jokes never end because you and others have length vivid XXX cuckmaginations

Lengthy? Are you so lazy that reading less than 200 characters is considered a chore to you?

No wonder your wife loves jamal. When even getting up from the couch is a hassle for you, you can start seeing why you got cucked and continue to be so.

Blake
08-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Lengthy? Are you so lazy that reading less than 200 characters is considered a chore to you?

No wonder your wife loves jamal. When even getting up from the couch is a hassle for you, you can start seeing why you got cucked and continue to be so.

when you cuckmagine Jamal, what do you see? 200 characters or less description is fine

TheSanityAnnex
08-04-2015, 11:19 AM
when you cuckmagine Jamal, what do you see? 200 characters or less description is fine
This whole imagining schtick you try doesn't really work how you think it does. You say he's imagining you getting cucked and you lol, but in reality you are still imagining him imagining you being cucked, which means you're basically imagining yourself being cucked.

I've never understood why you continue to even respond to the cuck jokes, I've yet to read a funny one in well over a year.

Blake
08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
This whole imagining schtick you try doesn't really work how you think it does. You say he's imagining you getting cucked and you lol, but in reality you are still imagining him imagining you being cucked, which means you're basically imagining yourself being cucked.

I've never understood why you continue to even respond to the cuck jokes, I've yet to read a funny one in well over a year.

I don't have to imagine that he's imagining a Jamal, genius. He's proclaiming that's what he's doing.

TheSanityAnnex
08-04-2015, 06:34 PM
I don't have to imagine that he's imagining a Jamal, genius. He's proclaiming that's what he's doing.
That's fine. You are still thinking about him imagining a Jamal cucking your ex-wife. It's not like when someone calls you a cuck that memories of being cucked don't flash in your head.

Reck
08-04-2015, 07:03 PM

No one is imagining shit. That's you trying to make you feel better.

I can just post something with cuck in it that's totally irrelevant and you would still think I imagined it. Doesn't work that way. It doesn't take efforts to call you a cuck.

Sorry dude, you're alone in the imagining process.

DMC
08-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Just because you can't afford it doesn't make it impossible.
How about an ICBM? What if he bought one of those and launched it?

You interject with your philopolemic stupidity then defend it like it's a retarded kid at a soccer fight.

Blake
08-04-2015, 08:57 PM
That's fine. You are still thinking about him imagining a Jamal cucking your ex-wife. It's not like when someone calls you a cuck that memories of being cucked don't flash in your head.

Lol neh, it's watered down now after five plus years.

But I won't so you from imagining it's not

Blake
08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
No one is imagining shit. That's you trying to make you feel better.

Jamal is your thing not mine. But keep imagining he's real so you can feel like you're winning.

Avante
08-04-2015, 09:00 PM

What?

Avante
08-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Jamal is your thing not mine. But keep imagining he's real so you can feel like you're winning.

Damn dude, all you do is bug people, huh?

Blake
08-04-2015, 09:03 PM

What?

That it's not watered down.

Blake
08-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Damn dude, all you do is bug people, huh?

damn old man, you're just here to bug me, huh.

Reck
08-04-2015, 09:10 PM

I'm winning inside your wife's loose vag.

TheSanityAnnex
08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Lol neh, it's watered down now after five plus years.

I've said before the cuck thing with you is beyond played out, I don't partake. I've just never found your whole "you're imagining" schtick to be effective being that even when you're typing the word cuck or Jamal the thought of being cuckolded is in your head. It has to be simply from spelling out the word cuck. You see I've typed and you've read cuck four times, make that five, and every time you have a brief, maybe even subconscious cuckold flashback.

ChumpDumper
08-04-2015, 09:30 PM
How about an ICBM? What if he bought one of those and launched it?What about it? It all depends on how the law is written.

You interject with your philopolemic stupidity then defend it like it's a retarded kid at a soccer fight.I used a not terribly extreme and not impossible scenario.

If one limits oneself to toy drones peeping at teenage girls, other methods and targets of aerial surveillance would be perfectly allowable.

Fabbs
08-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Drone company worker manuvers his drone to invade privacy of group at San Diego beach.
Guy throws shirt at drone, causes it to crash. (Yeah, that's how close it was.)
Cops come and bust shirt thrower, take him to jail. Do nothing to drone troll operator.

DAs office thankfully refuses to press charges against shirt thrower.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/19/man-jailed-beach-drone-confrontation/

Blake
08-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Drone company worker manuvers his drone to invade privacy of group at San Diego beach.
Guy throws shirt at drone, causes it to crash. (Yeah, that's how close it was.)
Cops come and bust shirt thrower, take him to jail. Do nothing to drone troll operator.

DAs office thankfully refuses to press charges against shirt thrower.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/19/man-jailed-beach-drone-confrontation/

Yeah, that's a pretty fucked up arrest.

We're gonna need some tighter drone specific laws asap.

Pauly D
08-20-2015, 11:24 AM
You're at a fucking beach. Get over it

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 12:05 PM

Seriously, if he could hit it with a shirt, then it was too low. What if a vollyball had hit it? Accidents happen. He could have just said he was into the music and tossed his shirt in the air.

I don't think private drones should be able to be flow over crowds of people. Especially if they're so fragile that it just takes a shirt to bring them down.

Blake
08-20-2015, 01:10 PM

because drones are just part of it

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 01:12 PM
because drones are just part of it

LOL. Pauly D OK with Drones. But be he'll be damned if a family with kids dare to move around in their condo at 9 PM.

MultiTroll
02-06-2016, 03:18 AM
Oct 27th, 2015.
Case Dismissed Against William H. Merideth, Kentucky Man Arrested For Shooting Down Drone

However Little Drone Bitch David Boggs said he was going to appeal this ruling.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/case-dismissed-against-william-h-merideth-kentucky-man-arrested-shooting-n452281

Wild Cobra
02-06-2016, 03:48 AM
Oct 27th, 2015.
Case Dismissed Against William H. Merideth, Kentucky Man Arrested For Shooting Down Drone

However Little Drone Bitch David Boggs said he was going to appeal this ruling.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/case-dismissed-against-william-h-merideth-kentucky-man-arrested-shooting-n452281

Cool.

A judgement that actually helps preserve privacy.

I'll bet Obama and the libtards want this overturned.

Koolaid_Man
02-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Cool.

I'll bet Obama and the libtards want this overturned.

Did u jerk off to that beautiful white MILF caressing that big black dick while her husband filmed and got off to it..

Wild Cobra
02-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Did u jerk off to that beautiful white MILF caressing that big black dick while her husband filmed and got off to it..

I didn't even know about that!

It must be an interesting set of sites you visit to find that.

clambake
02-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Cool.

did flaglot girl move yet?

she's probably worried about privacy.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Cool.

I'll bet Obama and the libtards want this overturned.How much do you want to bet?