PDA

View Full Version : Google fiber to SA

CosmicCowboy
08-05-2015, 11:27 AM
At least in downtown

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Tech-announcement-to-be-made-Wednesday-morning-180808.shtml

SAN ANTONIO - Mayor Ivy Taylor, along with the head of Google Fiber - Mark Strama , announced on Wednesday the expansion of Google Fiber into the San Antonio market. The project will bring "gigabit" speeds of internet connectivity into San Antonio's downtown area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Strama said gigabit speeds will allow people to use more applications at faster speeds and at higher capacity. "We can and we will close the digital divide," said Mayor Taylor. Taylor also suggested the expansion of Google Fiber into San Antonio will create jobs and may encourage other large companies to move here. The Google Fiber initiative is a public-private partnership and will encompass more than 4,000 linear miles of fiber optic cable.

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Tech-announcement-to-be-made-Wednesday-morning-180808.shtml

RGMCSE
08-05-2015, 11:33 AM
I've been waiting for a legitimate competitor to come to San Antonio for years. My buddies in Florida have bright house and there constantly being upgraded for free. They've had over 300mb down for years. Time warner barely upgraded to those speeds but at a hefty price. Can't wait for Google to come and kick ass. It's better for everyone. Let the price war begin!

DJR210
08-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Hell yeah, gigabit speeds for the Casianos and Victoria courts :tu

DJR210
08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I've been waiting for a legitimate competitor to come to San Antonio for years. My buddies in Florida have bright house and there constantly being upgraded for free. They've had over 300mb down for years. Time warner barely upgraded to those speeds but at a hefty price. Can't wait for Google to come and kick ass. It's better for everyone. Let the price war begin!

Grande has been kicking TWC's ass for internet for years, but their service area isnt city wide yet.. I just moved and had to go back to TWC, thankfully im in an upgraded area at least.

RGMCSE
08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Hell yeah, gigabit speeds for the Casianos and Victoria courts :tu

Hell yeah vato! Puro pinche interwebs!

RGMCSE
08-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Grande has been kicking TWC's ass for internet for years, but their service area isnt city wide yet.. I just moved and had to go back to TWC, thankfully im in an upgraded area at least.

I'm in an upgraded areas for twc as well and I'm enjoying the upgraded speeds but for a price. I've also been hoping for years that grande would expand but it hasn't happened. I read that att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also. The best thing would be to have 3 legit choices. I'm tired of having only one option for highspeed internet.

DJR210
08-05-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm in an upgraded areas for twc as well and I'm enjoying the upgraded speeds but for a price. I've also been hoping for years that grande would expand but it hasn't happened. I read that att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also. The best thing would be to have 3 legit choices. I'm tired of having only one option for highspeed internet.

Yeah, I agree. I have the same speed i had with Grande, but for 15 more per month.. 7 of that is towards a wireless router rental though, so its not too terrible.

I think the 300 mbps is 85 a month, iirc.

boutons_deux
08-05-2015, 04:09 PM
"att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also."

what technology provide gigabit over copper?

John Petrucci
08-05-2015, 04:33 PM
I wonder if it will eventually be in Converse, Universal City, etc. Very interested :toast

CosmicCowboy
08-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Sounds like immediate downtown area. 4000 miles of fiber won't cover all of SA.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Sounds like immediate downtown area. 4000 miles of fiber won't cover all of SA.They'll go neighborhood by neighborhood to make sure enough people sign up to make it worth their while. It is a long ass process, about 1.5 years before the bits start flying. It is nice that TWC and others are already bumping up speeds in the meantime. Competition is a good thing where you can get it.

leemajors
08-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I agree. I have the same speed i had with Grande, but for 15 more per month.. 7 of that is towards a wireless router rental though, so its not too terrible.

I think the 300 mbps is 85 a month, iirc.

400 is $65 in austin, hopefully it those prices make their way down from here soon. grande :tu fuck ATT and their added privacy price tier. gogole fiber is ghost north of the river

SupremeGuy
08-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Hell yeah vato! Puro pinche interwebs!:lol

Koolaid_Man
08-06-2015, 07:00 AM
At least in downtown

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Tech-announcement-to-be-made-Wednesday-morning-180808.shtml

SAN ANTONIO - Mayor Ivy Taylor, along with the head of Google Fiber - Mark Strama , announced on Wednesday the expansion of Google Fiber into the San Antonio market. The project will bring "gigabit" speeds of internet connectivity into San Antonio's downtown area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Strama said gigabit speeds will allow people to use more applications at faster speeds and at higher capacity. "We can and we will close the digital divide," said Mayor Taylor. Taylor also suggested the expansion of Google Fiber into San Antonio will create jobs and may encourage other large companies to move here. The Google Fiber initiative is a public-private partnership and will encompass more than 4,000 linear miles of fiber optic cable.

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Tech-announcement-to-be-made-Wednesday-morning-180808.shtml

Are they finally bringing in clean running water to that shit hole as well... :lmao

boutons_deux
08-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Sounds like immediate downtown area. 4000 miles of fiber won't cover all of SA.

probably downtown, medical center/northwest, and rich neighborhoods with buried utility conduits for easy cable pulling.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Are they finally bringing in clean running water to that shit hole as well... :lmaoTap water has always been awesome there.

Biernutz
08-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Are they finally bringing in clean running water to that shit hole as well... :lmao

We have water in San Antonio...The people in California will have to get used to drinking
recycle sewer water.....will your water taste like bean tacos? :lmao

RGMCSE
09-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Att gigabit coming to SA!!!

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/AT-T-expected-to-roll-out-gigabit-Internet-in-SA-6514302.php

CubanMustGo
09-19-2015, 06:08 PM
In those vanishingly small areas where they will have to compete with Google.

DMC
09-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Cool, now idiots can post even faster!

DMC
09-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Also if you don't have fiber in your home, you're basically still running either cable or 2 wire DSL. lol

boutons_deux
09-20-2015, 07:45 AM
the biggest impediment to good browsing speed is all the ad servers gumming up nearly every web page. I'm frequently blocked from reading a web page because it's frozen incomplete waiting for one or more ad servers.

Anyway, fiber to home will be a lot more expensive, so the fiber people will install in the high $$$ neighborhoods first that are more probable to buy fiber than the SA east, west, south sides.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2015, 08:49 AM
the biggest impediment to good browsing speed is all the ad servers gumming up nearly every web page. I'm frequently blocked from reading a web page because it's frozen incomplete waiting for one or more ad servers.Turn off Flash or use firefox with NoScript.

Anyway, fiber to home will be a lot more expensive, so the fiber people will install in the high $$$ neighborhoods first that are more probable to buy fiber than the SA east, west, south sides.Fiber rollout prioritization here in Austin looks to be based more on ease of construction than anything else.

spurtech09
09-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Google Fiber needs to come to Corpus Christi TX........

spurtech09
09-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Grande has been kicking TWC's ass for internet for years, but their service area isnt city wide yet.. I just moved and had to go back to TWC, thankfully im in an upgraded area at least.I would have to agree.....TWC is the worst.....Plus TWC charges a lot.....

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Plus TWC charges a lot.....

Grandecom is the same price, effectively NO price competition, aka, the "free market" myth

White House report says lack of competition barrier to broadband adoption

A group recently formed by President Barack Obama released a report today that asserted the high price of broadband (https://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/04/01/16998/us-internet-users-pay-more-and-have-fewer-choices-europeans), brought about by too few Internet service providers (https://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/04/01/16933/how-broadband-providers-seem-avoid-competition), is a major barrier to adoption that has left almost one-third of Americans unable to afford an Internet connection — findings that directly contradict assertions the telecommunication industry has made for years.

In its report (https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/broadband_opportunity_council_report_final.pdf), the Broadband Opportunity Council highlighted the inability of low-income families to afford the price of an Internet subscription as the primary reason that more than 25 percent of American households don’t have a broadband connection at home.

One of the primary reasons broadband prices are too expensive, the report notes, is because there is a lack of competition among Internet providers.

“Lowering barriers to deployment and fostering market competition can drive down price, increase speeds, and improve service and adoption rates across all markets,” according to the report.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/09/21/18022/white-house-report-says-lack-competition-barrier-broadband-adoption?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=watchdog&utm_medium=publici-email&goal=0_ffd1d0160d-b35db17add-100106293&mc_cid=b35db17add&mc_eid=3b8f64cce8

A big driver of the cost is the bundling of 10s of unwatchable shit channels that would die tomorrow if they weren't financed by bundling.

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 09:46 AM
and don't expect any price competition fiber among att, grandcom, twc, google.

Fiber will be a lot more expensive than cable, to protect the cable providers.

hehateme
09-22-2015, 10:13 AM
and don't expect any price competition fiber among att, grandcom, twc, google.

Fiber will be a lot more expensive than cable, to protect the cable providers.

There will be competition. Google fiber offers their tv/internet for $130. I was spending $180 for ATT Uverse 24mb/u200 a month and that's nowhere near gigabit speeds. The ability for Google to offer those lower prices will drive down others to match it, which in effect is competition. Hell even the 5/1 package Google offers for a one time setup fee is better than what others put out as a monthly package at the same speed.

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 10:27 AM
"There will be competition."

you were getting screwed by ATT because of no competition

there will be no price competition in the cable group and the more expensive fiber group.

slacker77
09-22-2015, 10:57 AM
"There will be competition."

you were getting screwed by ATT because of no competition

there will be no price competition in the cable group and the more expensive fiber group.

Just curious as to what you mean when you say "more expensive fiber group"

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Just curious as to what you mean when you say "more expensive fiber group"

the group of companies (aka no-compeitition cartel) that will be selling fiber

ChumpDumper
09-22-2015, 11:20 AM
What do you think would be a competitive price for gigabit fiber internet, boutons?

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 11:25 AM
What do you think would be a competitive price for gigabit fiber internet, boutons?

what's a "competitive price"?

cheese-eating surrender monkeys:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2051060/french-isp-free-offers-fiber-customers-1gbps-upgrade-for-no-cost.html

ChumpDumper
09-22-2015, 11:27 AM
what's a "competitive price"?

cheese-eating surrender monkeys:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2051060/french-isp-free-offers-fiber-customers-1gbps-upgrade-for-no-cost.htmlSo you're saying $50 a month is a competitive price?

hehateme
09-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Now I know why I don't venture into the political forum to try and explain things to boutards. Bless his little heart for trying though.

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 03:09 PM
So you're saying $50 a month is a competitive price?

sure, why not? Americans are so fucking stupid, they bend over and accept getting screwed because, ya know, America is exceptional.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
sure, why not? Americans are so fucking stupid, they bend over and accept getting screwed because, ya know, America is exceptional.So how much would a full fiber rollout in San Antonio cost, roughly?

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 03:47 PM
So how much would a full fiber rollout in San Antonio cost, roughly?

lot less than in heavily unionized, high-cost countries like France

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 03:49 PM
btw, CPS already has an extensive fiber network, but "free market" TX Repugs made a LAW, a REGULATION that blocks CPS and others from Internet access market.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
lot less than in heavily unionized, high-cost countries like FranceBut how much?

boutons_deux
09-22-2015, 04:20 PM
But how much?

a bunch

boutons_deux
09-27-2015, 11:46 AM
a bunch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_premises_by_country#France