PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Anderson will be a bigger piece of the team than Manu by the playoffs

Cklbmk
08-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Slow Mo will surplant Manu as the playmaker off the bench.

bic50
08-05-2015, 08:28 PM
End well this will not.

AFBlue
If he's injured and unable to play, you're absolutely right.

Nathan89
Slow Mo isn't a playmaker.

ceperez
08-05-2015, 08:29 PM
If he's injured and unable to play, you're absolutely right.

No, that would be Simmons that will replace Manu in DNP games.

KDKSpurs24
08-05-2015, 08:37 PM
This. I just see it. It's so clear to me. I would put his locker right next to Manu's and allow him to learn from him because he has very similar tools.

SpurPadre
08-05-2015, 08:38 PM
You might as well proclaim Bonner will also be the 2015-2016 regular season NBA MVP while you're at it, OP.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Hell no. Kyle Anderson sucks and can't score in the NBA. I hope some other team wants him and will trade a decent piece for him though.

AFBlue
08-05-2015, 08:54 PM

This. I just see it. It's so clear to me. I would put his locker right next to Manu's and allow him to learn from him because he has very similar tools.

This is not the Vicorage of JSimms tbqh.

steeledl
08-05-2015, 08:57 PM

K...
08-05-2015, 08:57 PM
I actually agree with op. But next year.

If Anderson got minutes on par with manu I'd believe it. But Anderson wont get minutes, so manu wins by default

SquawkinHawkBigCock
08-05-2015, 08:59 PM
This is gonna be another "Will Manu ever score over 20 points in a singe game again?"

Keepin' it real
08-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Wow ... a bold prognostication! And of course if you're wrong, you lose absolutely nothing. You're SOOO bold.

I can play this game. In fact, let me one-up you:

Boban Marjanovic will surplant Tim Duncan as starting "center" by the playoffs.

See how easy it is to make up bullshit.

wildcardX
08-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Anderson must first show he can be productive in regular season games and even if he can do that, it's not guaranteed he will see much minutes in the playoffs. Plus Manu at his old age probably still moves faster than Anderson.

hater
08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
No shit Sherlock. Sky is blue thread

Manu is 100 years old. Hell be lucky to make it through the season IMO.

SpurOutofTownFan
08-05-2015, 10:16 PM
wow another manu hating post

SPURt
08-05-2015, 10:21 PM
How bout we turn this into another Fredette thread! Hear those footsteps Manu? It's Jimmer... And he's wearing a white shirt and black tie

tholdren
08-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Bernie Sanders is an idiot

skulls138
08-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Slow Mo will surplant Manu as the playmaker off the bench.Just shut your fat fuckin face you fuckin douche bag. You are going to be surplanted by a crack addicted cockroach in the evolutionary chain if you keep it up. Yeah kick me off, fuck it.

urunobili
08-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Hopefully so!

Spurtacular
08-05-2015, 10:54 PM
A well rested Ginobili could've been the difference in that Clippers series. Spurs were just asking him to do way too much last season due to all the injuries. Assuming that Father Time doesn't stick a fork in Ginobili, I expect a rested Ginobili to make significant playoff contributions this time around. I think the odds are that he'll be more of a contributor than KA; but I don't want to sell KA's potential short.

ElNono
08-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Hopefully Anderson turns out to be that good, tbh... I think this is definitely the season where Pop and the team are going to take a thorough look at him, and see what they have looking at the future...

Mikeanaro
08-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Lol, Slomo= Nando 1.5
Rubbish stuff OP.

Axegrinder
08-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Just shut your fat fuckin face you fuckin douche bag. You are going to be surplanted by a crack addicted cockroach in the evolutionary chain if you keep it up. Yeah kick me off, fuck it.Feelin feels..:lol

tatteredprince
08-06-2015, 01:01 AM
i thought Boris Diaw was our best playmaker after Manu

guess i was wrong, lol

------------------------

did love Diaw's cheerfulness in the NBA africa game, if he brings it, we cream it!

tatteredprince
08-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Perhaps Pop should consider playing Manu in say, around 40 games only in the regular season, so that he is fresh come playoff time

FkLA
08-06-2015, 01:03 AM
Kyle Anderson is a scrub.

tatteredprince
08-06-2015, 01:09 AM
I have been thinking of Simmons lately, he brings energy, tenacity and an added zest to our team

so, the second team of

Diaw at center, DWest at powerforward, then Mills, Manu and Simmons is interesting......

MI21
08-06-2015, 02:17 AM
If that happens the Spurs will be loaded because I expect Manu to continue to be a very good bench player/playmaker.

Ridiculous prediction though and it has like a 1% chance of being true.

tatteredprince
08-06-2015, 02:54 AM
hmmmmm...........

tatteredprince
08-06-2015, 02:55 AM
i want an aldridge avatar.........

daledondale
08-06-2015, 08:24 AM
https://em.wattpad.com/dfc09a2271f26230bc8ed653f3dd7c1819456379/687474703a2f2f3130303066756e6e7970696374757265732e 636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f4675 6e6e792d476966732d352d31352e676966

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
08-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Hell no. Kyle Anderson sucks and can't score in the NBA. I hope some other team wants him and will trade a decent piece for him though.

I recall KA went over double digit in a few NBA games last year. He can score. Question has always been, can he defend?

Kikoluna
08-06-2015, 09:23 AM
The disrespect and madness of this thread/statement is utterly ludicrous and insulting to any true Spurs follower. Manu is a basketball God and you have the audacity to say that Kyle Fucking Anderson will outplay him? Please, the guy is like the best player in the jv team but is lost when given varsity minutes. You should be banned for a year at least. Amazing how my "diet tips for tony" thread got scratched and this survived.

JeffDuncan
08-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Yes, that's for sure, and also, Jimmer Fredette will suppland Kawhi Leonard at small forward. Take it to the bank!!

(Lord, it's a long time until the season starts...)

G-Dawgg
08-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Manu is one of the greatest competitors to ever step on an NBA court. He is twice the competitor that Ray Allen is and if Ray Allen could play and be effective until he's forty, then you best believe Manu will be able to do it too...Kyle Anderson will not contribute more than Manu.

dweaver99027
08-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Hopefully KA reaches a playing level that makes 'KA or Manu' a legitimate dilemma. Hopefully Manu doesn't drop off so much to make 'KA or Manu' a dilemma.

MB20
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Time for someone else to take over the facilitator role off the bench. A 38 years old player still the best option? Not good.
Manu´s BBIQ is high, but I expect lots of turnovers. Young players are just too fast for him now.

hater
08-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Time for someone else to take over the facilitator role off the bench. A 38 years old player still the best option? Not good.
Manu´s BBIQ is high, but I expect lots of turnovers. Young players are just too fast for him now.

co-sign tbh

I am afraid even the grind of the regular season will take a toll on Manu. He needs to be relegated to 3rd ballhandler in the team. If Kyle doesn't pan out I expect a mid season trade because this team is not going anywhere without a 2nd ballhandler to parker. (thats even assuming Porker will bound back)

dweaver99027
08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Manu's minutes drop below 20 per game, in conservation for the playoffs. Provided our stable of as of yet unproven perimeter guys collectively pick up the slack.

Sean Cagney
08-06-2015, 01:33 PM

^^^ This.

sasaint
08-06-2015, 02:03 PM

One name seems to be lost in this discussion - Ray McCollum, the guy who supposedly runs an offense better than Cojo. KA's role has been characterized as more like that of Boris Diaw not Manu. There is obviously no replacement for Manu, but there doesn't seem to be an exact analog either. I expect McCollum to be the Tony of the second unit as far as running the team, with Simmons providing some of the fire of Manu and KA facilitating much as Boris does and possibly more.

Gordy58
08-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Consistency will be Key for KA. If he's given consistent minutes then we'll see if he's actually productive against NBA athletes. To this point I think he's done everything to keep some doubts at bay. I mean he was the Summer league MVP. He showed his mismatch potential, and rare veteran like leadership for a player his age. I just think too many people are hard on him. Let's not make assumptions and just sleep on him because he could very well garner some consistent minutes off the bench this season. If he pans out great, if he doesn't well then he was just the 30th pick. Low Risk High reward. I'll be rooting for him.

Gordy58
08-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Consistency will be Key for KA. If he's given consistent minutes then we'll see if he's actually productive against NBA athletes. To this point I think he's done everything to keep some doubts at bay. I mean he was the Summer league MVP. He showed his mismatch potential, and rare veteran like leadership for a player his age. I just think too many people are hard on him. Let's not make assumptions and just sleep on him because he could very well garner some consistent minutes off the bench this season. If he pans out great, if he doesn't well then he was just the 30th pick. Low Risk High reward. I'll be rooting for him.

z0sa
08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
....pfffahaahaha :lmao :lmao :lol

SAGirl
08-06-2015, 04:20 PM
I hope Manu is still the Manu we know. The Manu from last year was inconsistent and had only a few games when he dominated. He can't do that on a consistent basis and the more of a burden you put on him, the worse it will go. He himself stated the younger guys (referring to Kawhi and Tony, by name BTW) needed to be the ones to make plays. With LMA in the team you expect him to be the one to dominate. The truly younger guys in the team (Ray, Kyle, Jonathon, even Jimmer if around), will get their chances in the regular season for sure. I hope at least one of them can emerge as a playoff contributor, because we are likely to need young legs on the perimeter at some point.
My personal favorite is Anderson, I believe he is a very young player who is still learning how to play in the NBA and has given enough flashes of potential to break through at some point as a legit rotation piece. I hope its this year, but it might not. The other young guys I mentioned bring different things to the team, Ray is more experienced, Simmons more athletic and Jimmer, a shooter. Hopefully they bring and improve their respective games as well.

Dex
08-06-2015, 04:34 PM
I hope Manu is still the Manu we know. The Manu from last year was inconsistent and had only a few games when he dominated. He can't do that on a consistent basis and the more of a burden you put on him, the worse it will go. He himself stated the younger guys (referring to Kawhi and Tony, by name BTW) needed to be the ones to make plays. With LMA in the team you expect him to be the one to dominate. The truly younger guys in the team (Ray, Kyle, Jonathon, even Jimmer if around), will get their chances in the regular season for sure. I hope at least one of them can emerge as a playoff contributor, because we are likely to need young legs on the perimeter at some point.
My personal favorite is Anderson, I believe he is a very young player who is still learning how to play in the NBA and has given enough flashes of potential to break through at some point as a legit rotation piece. I hope its this year, but it might not. The other young guys I mentioned bring different things to the team, Ray is more experienced, Simmons more athletic and Jimmer, a shooter. Hopefully they bring and improve their respective games as well.

That's the thing...the Spurs don't need Manu to dominate games anymore. They now have Aldridge and Kawhi to do the heavy lifting, and to a lesser extent Parker, Duncan, and West.

I think this is something that even Manu is finally starting to realize...he doesn't need to go all out and try to win games by himself anymore. He just needs to be a facilitator, run the offense for the bench squad, and contribute within The System. Any of those Manu Moments we can get are just bonus at this point.

And for the love of God, just don't pull a 2013 and fuck it up.

kaji157
08-06-2015, 04:56 PM
From time to time some posters here display a lack of knowledge about basketball that is amazing.

When Ginobili became the second unit flor general he already was an accomplished player, for example, he was Italian MVP, Euroleague MVP, NBA All Star, and Champion of those three Tournaments, plus MVP and Gold Medalist in Athens.

How on earth is possible that those posters think that a player that is having problems to crack a rotation on the NBA can emulate the former?

UNT Eagles 2016
08-06-2015, 05:40 PM
I recall KA went over double digit in a few NBA games last year. He can score. Question has always been, can he defend?
There's a difference between being up 20+ and scoring against the bowel-movement players on an already bottom feeder team, and actually being called upon to score against legitimate rotation defenders as an every-game rotation player.

ceperez
08-06-2015, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXCc_2lWes

bic50
08-06-2015, 06:32 PM
There's a difference between being up 20+ and scoring against the bowel-movement players on an already bottom feeder team, and actually being called upon to score against legitimate rotation defenders as an every-game rotation player.
KA did exactly that against portland, pop called his number and he scored on batum and every defender guarding him pretty easy. Not sure if he can do that every night though.

Kikoluna
08-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Kyle is garbage as Player. Seriously, how is even on the team.

SAGirl
08-06-2015, 09:32 PM
:troll

rudwick
08-06-2015, 10:48 PM
He is a bigger piece of the team right now ... by weight.

skulls138
08-07-2015, 12:16 AM
This is a thread of the greedy, point blank. Just stfu.

steeledl
08-07-2015, 12:20 AM

from what he showed in the NBA I agree but there is a chance he can become a serviceable player in the league.... Too early to give up on him and say he shouldn't be on the team. I'd rather have him over bonner because of potential.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-07-2015, 07:48 AM
KA did exactly that against portland, pop called his number and he scored on batum and every defender guarding him pretty easy. Not sure if he can do that every night though.
and we lost that game by how many points again?

Brazil
08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
dat concepts in the same sentence Kyle Anderson / Playmaker / Play Offs / Manu :lmao

hater
08-07-2015, 09:47 AM
dat concepts in the same sentence Kyle Anderson / Playmaker / Play Offs / Manu :lmao

tbh at this point, the concept of Manu /PlayMaker /Playoffs alone is laughable :lol

Brazil
08-07-2015, 09:52 AM
tbh at this point, the concept of Manu /PlayMaker /Playoffs alone is laughable :lol

:rolleyes

hater
08-07-2015, 09:56 AM

disagree? when is the last time Manu has taken over a playoff game :rolleyes

he's done. time for new blodd. My money is on Kyle :tu

Brazil
08-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Which team are we referring to? If it's the Austin Spurs you may be entirely correct.

ceperez
08-07-2015, 02:53 PM

Kyle Anderson isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt because of his lack of speed. The way he plays, it looks like he's walking his way towards a layup.

So despite scoring well against Portland or winning the SL MVP title, folks aren't going to be convinced until he delivers not only in the regular season but in the playoffs. Spurs standards are really high.

IMHO, for a 21 year old, he's got a lot of moves. If I were to assess his defense, it's right now better than Belinelli and probably better than any of the small guards in the roster (i.e. Mills, McCallum, Parker).

Kyle Anderson is actually bigger than most people think. He's got a wing span of 7' 2.75" (.25" less than Leonard) and a standing reach of 8' 11.5" ( 1" less than David West).

He's a very difficult player to defend against. His length compensates for a lot of short comings in defense. He needs to improve though his hustle in defense. He's got a bad habit of taking it easy.

spurs10
08-07-2015, 03:37 PM
when is the last time Manu has taken over a playoff game :rolleyes

June 15, 2014 :lobt:

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 03:39 PM
KA can get to his spots relatively easy. He needs a couple of go to moves for when he gets there, like that Dirk fadeaway he seems to be working on. A hook shot would be good. I believe he can be a very good mismatch 4 in this league.

daledondale
08-07-2015, 03:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHsowOBYDs

ceperez
08-07-2015, 04:02 PM
KA can get to his spots relatively easy. He needs a couple of go to moves for when he gets there, like that Dirk fadeaway he seems to be working on. A hook shot would be good. I believe he can be a very good mismatch 4 in this league.

You also noticed that Dirk fade-away? Very promising indeed!

He's going to have a lot smaller players on him and that fade-away just can't be blocked.

A tony parker floater would also be great. Draymond Green used it to great effect when he found himself getting blocked driving to the rim in the finals.

jeebus
08-07-2015, 04:10 PM
So we're all agreed that fat head will be a bigger piece of shit than Manu come playoffs

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 04:25 PM
You also noticed that Dirk fade-away? Very promising indeed! He's going to have a lot smaller players on him and that fade-away just can't be blocked. A tony parker floater would also be great. Draymond Green used it to great effect when he found himself getting blocked driving to the rim in the finals. Well, he already has a tricky pump fake and has shown the ability to hit 10 footers while in contact with his man, so those are a few more good signs. Bonner , for all the flak he receives, has developed a killer runner/floater, maybe he can teach KA to do it. Problem is he has to lose his man on the perimeter to get in position to use it, and I don't see KA ever just beating his man straight up. He has to get separation off ball through cuts, but that's not his game.

spurs10
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
That Manu dunk....talk about a comeback! Just completely badass. Love watching the bench! It's all they can do to stop from storming the floor! :lol
:lobt2:

ceperez
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Well, he already has a tricky pump fake and has shown the ability to hit 10 footers while in contact with his man, so those are a few more good signs. Bonner , for all the flak he receives, has developed a killer runner/floater, maybe he can teach KA to do it. Problem is he has to lose his man on the perimeter to get in position to use it, and I don't see KA ever just beating his man straight up. He has to get separation off ball through cuts, but that's not his game.

Bonner's floater was surprisingly effective last season.

I disagree, KA against a much smaller defender can beat his man straight up. He did that consistently against a game against Portland. He in fact had Batum on him and beat him on a post up. He can't do it against bigger PFs, but he certainly can against smaller guards.

What's interesting is that both Anderson and Simmons can create their own shots.

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Bonner's floater was surprisingly effective last season. I disagree, KA against a much smaller defender can beat his man straight up. He did that consistently against a game against Portland. He in fact had Batum on him and beat him on a post up. He can't do it against bigger PFs, but he certainly can against smaller guards. What's interesting is that both Anderson and Simmons can create their own shots. I meant beat his man off the dribble and keep him to his left or rear while going towards the basket. That's the only way he can use the floater , other than cuts or getting the ball out of an off ball screen.

daledondale
08-07-2015, 04:55 PM
That Manu dunk....talk about a comeback! Just completely badass. Love watching the bench! It's all they can do to stop from storming the floor! :lol
:flag:

ceperez
08-07-2015, 06:02 PM
I meant beat his man off the dribble and keep him to his left or rear while going towards the basket. That's the only way he can use the floater , other than cuts or getting the ball out of an off ball screen.

He'll use the floater same way that Bonner uses it.

apalisoc_9
08-07-2015, 06:22 PM
:lol

vanilla porker fans..

Manu is the teams best Guard.. and you expect some no name to be better than him?

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
He'll use the floater same way that Bonner uses it. Which is effectively , but almost never. Why? Because Matt can only use it when he receives the ball near the basket with space ( rare ) or when he pumpfakes and drives (rare). If KA uses the floater 10 times a year because he can't get it off, we're back to Sq1.

Bruno
08-07-2015, 06:35 PM
The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson:

A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting.

When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min.

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing.

ceperez
08-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Anderson with the Dirk Fade-Away move:

http://s9.postimg.org/t1ir89imn/Screen_Shot_2015_08_07_at_7_34_01_PM.png

That's the "centerpiece" who has zero chance in stopping it!

ceperez
08-07-2015, 06:39 PM
The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson:

A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting.

When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min.

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing.

I agree... he's got to be better that the pathetic percentages of CoJo.

For the record .200, .286, .316, .364 .... for four years... total .314.

Kyle Anderson, first year .273

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 06:43 PM
The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson: A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting. When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min. Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot. So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing. Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to get to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.

ceperez
08-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Kyle Anderson can't defend???!

http://i.giphy.com/3oEdv8Q7GUQu2T7hKw.gif

hater
08-07-2015, 07:01 PM
June 15, 2014 :lobt:

Carried by Kawhi :rolleyes

hater
08-07-2015, 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHsowOBYDs

Even Austin rivers had a couple good plays last playoffs

skulls138
08-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.I'd rather have an over sized player in a position than an under sized player. I'd rather him develop an outside shot, then off the fake he can go inside. And as a SF he can still post up but can he absorb all that punishment given down in the paint on a nightly basis?

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 07:34 PM
I'd rather have an over sized player in a position than an under sized player. I'd rather him develop an outside shot, then off the fake he can go inside. And as a SF he can still post up but can he absorb all that punishment given down in the paint on a nightly basis? I'd rather the same thing. I just don't think he can ever be a successful wing on defense being that slow. His skillset lends more to a crafty 'point 4' than anything. IF he can get his 3ball working he can play like an older Pierce on offense, yes. Here's hoping.

bic50
08-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Have to say, I actually like kyle hopefully he can show what hes capable this coming season.

ginobilized
08-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Kyle Anderson will be a bigger piece of ---- than Manu by the playoffs

SAGirl
08-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Bonner's floater was surprisingly effective last season.

I disagree, KA against a much smaller defender can beat his man straight up. He did that consistently against a game against Portland. He in fact had Batum on him and beat him on a post up. He can't do it against bigger PFs, but he certainly can against smaller guards.

What's interesting is that both Anderson and Simmons can create their own shots. Only about 35% of Kyle's 2pt FGM his rookie year were assisted. I was surprised at this. He wasn't efficient obviously, and it is something he needs to continue to work on and has gotten better, but even as a rookie he generated most of his own FGM.

Pop used him in post ups in that Portland game and some shots he generated by himself. I remember in the triple OT game against Memphis he posted up Conley all the way from the 3 point line to the rim and finished with a drawn foul. His potential as a creator for others in the offense requires him to become more efficient and dangerous in generating his own shots, then he will be able to create for others. It is a tough development, but he needs NBA experience to develop further. He does have the potential.

We saw in the SL most of his shots were self generated as well, and he's a tricky cover as you mentioned. He's tall and long for a guy that can handle the basketball as he does, has a very high shot release, with a fadeaway to boot, and uses a lot of misdirection and changes of speed. I am rooting for him to succeed.

Also, his high BBIQ is shown in his defense. He, like Boris, is aware of what is going on and anticipates very well. You don't want to put him on the other team's best guy, but then you have a max player in Leonard for that. He will be better than Marco for sure. He can hold his own within a team defensive system.

SAGirl
08-08-2015, 02:10 AM

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the
http://stats.nbadleague.com/util/transcodelast SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

I think he needs to make at least the corner 3 at 37% and I think he can do that. The truth is he took very few (I am too lazy to look it up right now, but I recall somewhere around only 11 3s all year last year, as a result of so little playing opportunities). So that is an extremely small sample.

He took more in the D'league, but they are not from the corner. Austin rarely had him spotted up in a corner, since they relied on him for offense creation much like we saw in SL. His 3s came from the top and sides, very much like Diaw, and from those spots, I guess a 33% would be ok. That is what Diaw and a guy like Draymond Green shot from there. If he's used as a stretch 4 and spotted up in that area, 33% - 35% would be ok. He's unlikely to take them from there anyway. If he can be 37% from the corner he will be fine and I don't think there is a large enough sample to say whether his work with Chip has helped him in that area. He was 3 of 4 on shots from the corner. He is by no means a shooter, but I think he will be ok from the corners.

Here is his d'league shot chart:
http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=203937&viewShots=false
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ezZtUBFh2wY/VcY851p4ALI/AAAAAAAAAAg/3m7p3r4Jo8w/s512-Ic42/Shotchart_1439054756244.jpg

sasaint
08-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to get to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.

Yes! Maybe not next season, but his ultimate position is the 4. In the evolving NBA of "position-less basketball" Pop will find a way to use his skill set and hide his deficiencies. That's what Pop does. He will need to add some muscle, if not bulk, but he will be a valuable piece for the Spurs going forward. With his height/vision I think he will become a high post nightmare for opponents' defenses, facilitating wings and feeding LMA over the top in the low post and scoring from the mid-range.

Not so long ago there was no such thing as a "stretch 4". Who knows, the next thing may be the "point 4" with Boris as the prototype and KA as the developed model.

SAGirl
08-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes! Maybe not next season, but his ultimate position is the 4. In the evolving NBA of "position-less basketball" Pop will find a way to use his skill set and hide his deficiencies. That's what Pop does. He will need to add some muscle, if not bulk, but he will be a valuable piece for the Spurs going forward. With his height/vision I think he will become a high post nightmare for opponents' defenses, facilitating wings and feeding LMA over the top in the low post and scoring from the mid-range.

Not so long ago there was no such thing as a "stretch 4". Who knows, the next thing may be the "point 4" with Boris as the prototype and KA as the developed model.
The Point 4 is one of the most dangerous and toughest styles in BBall I think. Point 4 that can handle the BBall like Boris and Kyle are a nightmare. Draymond Green kind of has evolved into a Point 4, assisting a lot of the shooters in GSW and pushing the ball ahead himself when he gets defensive rebounds. He's just not a threat to score from the post, and can't exploit mismatches. His strength is defense, some playmaking and some 3s. At least at this point of his career, he's more limited offensively. An interesting Point 4 is Nikola Mirotic. I have not observed him much, but I did see him in a game against SA last year when Butler and Rose were injured (we won of course) and a lot of the offense went through him. He's a talented player and fun to watch as well. He couldn't handle the BBall like Kyle or Boris, but was very good for a guy his height.

Bruno
08-09-2015, 04:14 PM
I think he needs to make at least the corner 3 at 37% and I think he can do that. The truth is he took very few (I am too lazy to look it up right now, but I recall somewhere around only 11 3s all year last year, as a result of so little playing opportunities). So that is an extremely small sample.

He took more in the D'league, but they are not from the corner. Austin rarely had him spotted up in a corner, since they relied on him for offense creation much like we saw in SL. His 3s came from the top and sides, very much like Diaw, and from those spots, I guess a 33% would be ok. That is what Diaw and a guy like Draymond Green shot from there. If he's used as a stretch 4 and spotted up in that area, 33% - 35% would be ok. He's unlikely to take them from there anyway. If he can be 37% from the corner he will be fine and I don't think there is a large enough sample to say whether his work with Chip has helped him in that area. He was 3 of 4 on shots from the corner. He is by no means a shooter, but I think he will be ok from the corners.

Here is his d'league shot chart:
http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=203937&viewShots=false
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ezZtUBFh2wY/VcY851p4ALI/AAAAAAAAAAg/3m7p3r4Jo8w/s512-Ic42/Shotchart_1439054756244.jpg

It isn't that much about 3P% than the number of 3's taken.

In college Anderson took 96 3's for 670 FGA, In D-League it was 48 for 476 and in NBA it's 11 for 89. About 10%/15% of Anderson's shots are 3 pointers. Shooting 3's is a small part of his game while it's traditionally a big part of the game for Spurs' wing.

There is basically 2 solutions at that:
- Trying to mold Anderson into the traditional Spurs wing by making 3's a bigger part of his game.
- Tweaking the play calling to fit Anderson's skills. Basically, it meant putting the ball more in his hands instead of parking behind the 3 point line on a wing or a corner.

Like always, it will be a combination for both but I think the main focus will be to have a system adapted to Anderson's skillset. A reason why he dropped during the draft was that he is an atypical player that isn't the "plug and play" kind. If Spurs didn't plan to put him in a situation where he could potentially shine, they just shouldn't have drafted him. On the paper, Anderson's skills are a really nice fit with Spurs' second unit: there is a lot a ball movement with Ginobili/Diaw and Mills is a PG who is a great shooter but isn't a playmaker.

tholdren
08-09-2015, 09:33 PM

In college Anderson took 96 3's for 670 FGA, In D-League it was 48 for 476 and in NBA it's 11 for 89. About 10%/15% of Anderson's shots are 3 pointers. Shooting 3's is a small part of his game while it's traditionally a big part of the game for Spurs' wing.

- Trying to mold Anderson into the traditional Spurs wing by making 3's a bigger part of his game.
- Tweaking the play calling to fit Anderson's skills. Basically, it meant putting the ball more in his hands instead of parking behind the 3 point line on a wing or a corner.

Like always, it will be a combination for both but I think the main focus will be to have a system adapted to Anderson's skillset. A reason why he dropped during the draft was that he is an atypical player that isn't the "plug and play" kind. If Spurs didn't plan to put him in a situation where he could potentially shine, they just shouldn't have drafted him. On the paper, Anderson's skills are a really nice fit with Spurs' second unit: there is a lot a ball movement with Ginobili/Diaw and Mills is a PG who is a great shooter but isn't a playmaker.

Kyle Anderson is too damn slow to get off a corner three. He doesn't move well without the ball around the perimeter. I don't think the Spurs had him in mind to shoot a three, really. I think the Spurs are trying to get players on the bench to fit around KA though. Its interesting to see them grab at attacking wings/pgs. This goes with your #2 theory, which I think is why they picked up a shooter in Jimmer; put the ball in KA hands along with some attacking perimeter players. Time will tell.

SAGirl
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM

You hit the nail on the head. There are good shooters in the draft every year, even in the second round. Guys like Anderson are very rare. A unique young playmaker and scorer for the second unit is a unique need for the spurs and to find a guy so special as to be a team player and unselfish passer is a continuous search. Anderson has to prove he can translate what he has done b4 into the NBA, but he is atypical. If you box him up in a corner, coach will not get the best our of him. Spurs like to post up and they had him do that every game. We are likely to see him shoot less, but we can kind of expect to see his floater in the lane, plays in transition, post ups, passing an the occasional 3. He is not a shooter but I hope he can get percentage like the ones I posted above for spacing. In his interviews he always mentioned defense, rebounding, passing an makin open shot as his contributions this season.

skin27
08-10-2015, 02:08 AM
not at all!!!

BillMc
08-10-2015, 05:07 AM

:bobo

ceperez
08-10-2015, 05:26 AM
You hit the nail on the head. There are good shooters in the draft every year, even in the second round. Guys like Anderson are very rare. A unique young playmaker and scorer for the second unit is a unique need for the spurs and to find a guy so special as to be a team player and unselfish passer is a continuous search. Anderson has to prove he can translate what he has done b4 into the NBA, but he is atypical. If you box him up in a corner, coach will not get the best our of him. Spurs like to post up and they had him do that every game. We are likely to see him shoot less, but we can kind of expect to see his floater in the lane, plays in transition, post ups, passing an the occasional 3. He is not a shooter but I hope he can get percentage like the ones I posted above for spacing. In his interviews he always mentioned defense, rebounding, passing an makin open shot as his contributions this season.

Spurs avoid taking the long two (and encourage it for opponents). KL has two options (1) develop 3point short and (2) develop post up game (see Dirk Fadeway).

Chinook
08-10-2015, 06:50 AM
With the spacing the second unit should have and Anderson's ability to play inside the arc, I think he'll be fine. I'm not worried about his three-point shooting, since we know he can hit an open jumper, and he's better at attacking a close-out than most Spurs. He's also good at driving, which is something the bench needs with Manu's age.

Pop's gonna have to figure how to use a bench with two jump-shooting bigs anyway. With Anderson and Simmons being the top two candidates for the final rotation spot, I think we'll see the backup three in the paint a lot more than they have been. Unless the offense is going to be built around Diaw post-ups, I don't think the wings will be taking a ton of threes anyway.