PDA

View Full Version : The 2015 Spurs Training Camp Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Chinook
08-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I know it's hella early, but I didn't know where else to put this.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238961/Shannon-Scott-Agrees-To-Deal-With-Raptors

Seems like Shannon Scott won't be coming to the Spurs camp, nor will he be a Toro next season. That sucks. It would be nice for the Spurs to have a decent PG prospect to develop in Austin.

The TC roster as far as I can see it:

PG: Parker, Mills, McCallum
SG: Green, Ginobili, Simmons, Fredette, Williams
SF: Kawhi, Anderson
PF: Aldridge, West, Bonner
C: Duncan, Diaw, Marjanovic, Ndoye

So the Spurs still have

So the Spurs still have four spots to fill out. I'd expect to see two more Austin-bound guys and two vets. Still need a PG prospect as I said. Does anyone know any UDFA guys who could fit the bill? Is Eddie still unsigned? Spurs also need another forward.

Lots of ways this roster could go.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I know it's hella early, but I didn't know where else to put this.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238961/Shannon-Scott-Agrees-To-Deal-With-Raptors

Seems like Shannon Scott won't be coming to the Spurs camp, nor will he be a Toro next season. That sucks. It would be nice for the Spurs to have a decent PG prospect to develop in Austin.

The TC roster as far as I can see it:

PG: Parker, Mills, McCallum
SG: Green, Ginobili, Simmons, Fredette
SF: Kawhi, Anderson
PF: Aldridge, West, Bonner
C: Duncan, Diaw, Marjanovic, Ndoye

So the Spurs still have

So the Spurs still have four spots to fill out. I'd expect to see two more Austin-bound guys and two vets. Still need a PG prospect as I said. Does anyone know any UDFA guys who could fit the bill? Is Eddie still unsigned? Spurs also need another forward.

Lots of ways this roster could go.Eddie's D-League rights belong to the Toros anyway, so unless he thinks he can make the Spurs roster it would make more sense for him to go to camp elsewhere.

dweaver99027
08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I say we need a legitimate SF , a promising PG, Eddie and maybe a promising stretch 4.

sooooooo
08-06-2015, 01:51 PM
I thought that Reggie Williams is going training camp? and Cady Lalanne?

Chinook
08-06-2015, 02:11 PM
I thought that Reggie Williams is going training camp? and Cady Lalanne?

Forgot about Williams. I think the Spurs are trying to pay a team to create a TE. Cady isn't going to camp; he's going to Austin.

Spurtacular
08-07-2015, 03:13 AM
Let's do this!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/poststar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/1e/91e5427e-08a7-11df-b660-001cc4c002e0/91e5427e-08a7-11df-b660-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

Chinook
08-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Atkins is a Knick: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238968/Darion-Atkins-Agrees-To-Sign-With-Knicks

Toros are going to be short on talent this year.

Biernutz
08-08-2015, 02:13 AM
Have the Spurs said where the training camp will be this year? Are they staying home?
I hope they go to Euro training that way we only have to pay full price for one
pre-season practice game.....

SAGirl
08-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Atkins is a Knick: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238968/Darion-Atkins-Agrees-To-Sign-With-Knicks

Toros are going to be short on talent this year.
I think that is the result of the guys playing well enough to get noticed all the way to the SL championship. Kudos to Becky and the rest of the summer league coaches if the guys end up in rosters somewhere.

sasaint
08-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Forgot about Williams. I think the Spurs are trying to pay a team to create a TE. Cady isn't going to camp; he's going to Austin.

I hope you're right. The TE would be more valuable. As far as Cady is concerned, why wouldn't he go to camp and then to Austin?

exstatic
08-08-2015, 11:20 AM
I hope you're right. The TE would be more valuable. As far as Cady is concerned, why wouldn't he go to camp and then to Austin?

Because if he goes to camp, gets cut, and goes to Austin, the Spurs hold no further rights to him. Any team can call him up and keep him. If he signs a dleague contract, he's still Spurs unsigned property, just as if he went to Europe.

ceperez
08-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Because if he goes to camp, gets cut, and goes to Austin, the Spurs hold no further rights to him. Any team can call him up and keep him. If he signs a dleague contract, he's still Spurs unsigned property, just as if he went to Europe.

So let me get this right, if he goes to camp, gets cut but goes to Europe, Spurs still own his rights?

So he can get a camp invite only when he has secured a European offer?

Makes it look like a bad thing to become a 2nd round draft pick. Better to be undrafted!

ChumpDumper
08-08-2015, 01:40 PM
So let me get this right, if he goes to camp, gets cut but goes to Europe, Spurs still own his rights?No.

So he can get a camp invite only when he has secured a European offer? No.

Makes it look like a bad thing to become a 2nd round draft pick. Better to be undrafted!No.

spurs10
08-08-2015, 02:17 PM
So let me get this right, if he goes to camp, gets cut but goes to Europe, Spurs still own his rights?

So he can get a camp invite only when he has secured a European offer?

Makes it look like a bad thing to become a 2nd round draft pick. Better to be undrafted! :lol If he goes to camp and gets cut the Spurs don't have rights to him anymore. If he signs to Austin he is still our property.

Chinook
08-11-2015, 01:38 PM
I had a thought, and since I love bumping my own threads, I'll post it here.

We're seeing a couple of players from the Spurs' SL team signed by other teams. I feel like there have been more players from that team getting signed on to camps than there has been in the last couple years. I am wondering if that has anything to do with how the Spurs SL team operated.

Usually, you see guys in Vegas do whatever they can to stand out. That usually leads to a lot of selfish play and chucking. The Spurs played the best team ball I can think of in the summer. So guys really had to show they could fit into the lineup for the team to be successful. For teams looking to find a guy at the end of the rotation, that seems more valuable than the ability to put up points or make highlight plays.

Is it possible that we see a new paradigm in summer league? If a few more guys from that roster can make a camp (Ware, Graham and Davies being the most promising among them), I think we might.

SAGirl
08-11-2015, 02:34 PM
I had a thought, and since I love bumping my own threads, I'll post it here.

We're seeing a couple of players from the Spurs' SL team signed by other teams. I feel like there have been more players from that team getting signed on to camps than there has been in the last couple years. I am wondering if that has anything to do with how the Spurs SL team operated.

Usually, you see guys in Vegas do whatever they can to stand out. That usually leads to a lot of selfish play and chucking. The Spurs played the best team ball I can think of in the summer. So guys really had to show they could fit into the lineup for the team to be successful. For teams looking to find a guy at the end of the rotation, that seems more valuable than the ability to put up points or make highlight plays.

Is it possible that we see a new paradigm in summer league? If a few more guys from that roster can make a camp (Ware, Graham and Davies being the most promising among them), I think we might.
That SL team was a fun little team to watch. I think guys who can defend well and fit in with a star player for sure intrigue. I liked Shannon Scott a lot, probably my favorite undrafted guy in the team. Of th remaining guys possibly Graham ha potential to get a training camp invite somewhere.

Chinook
08-11-2015, 02:47 PM
That SL team was a fun little team to watch. I think guys who can defend well and fit in with a star player for sure intrigue. I liked Shannon Scott a lot, probably my favorite undrafted guy in the team. Of th remaining guys possibly Graham ha potential to get a training camp invite somewhere.

Well Davies has NBA experience, so I think he'll find a place. Ware looked good in Utah, and I think he was in a camp last year. So both those guys probably end up in a camp. Graham's the guy I really wanted in the Spurs TC, along with Ndoye and Scott. So I hope he signs on pretty soon.

ace3g
08-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Darren Wolfson @DWolfsonKSTP
(https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP)Hear former #Twolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Twolves) guard Sean Kilpatrick will also workout for the #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs). Told his workout today with the #Lakers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lakers) went well.

wildcardX
08-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Spurs going to workout Sean Kilpatrick. From watching just his highlights he looks like another 3pt gunner, Gary Neal type.

Chinook
08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Well, those holding a candle for Tayshaun can go back inside:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239009/Tayshaun-Prince-Agrees-To-One-Year-Deal-With-Wolves

Chinook
08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
There goes Graham: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239034/Jazz-Sign-Treveon-Graham

Is it just Eddie now?

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 03:27 AM
There goes Graham: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239034/Jazz-Sign-Treveon-Graham

Is it just Eddie now?

Good intangibles guy (Graham); good spot-up shooter; a bit under-sized at the 3. Would've like to have kept him in Austin. But not surprised to see someone pick him up.

Would love to keep Eddie; but guess we'll have to see.

Bruno
08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Dorell Wright just signed in China.
When I look at Spurs possible signing in mid July for the shooting wing they needed, Wright looked like the best candidate. I wonder if Spurs tried to sign him before going after Fredette. Wright is to me a clearly better player than Fredette.

it looks like there will no battle for roster spots at training camp. Spurs still have their 15 players with Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge Duncan, Mills, Ginobili, Anderson, Diaw, West, McCallum, Fredette, Simmons, Bonner and Marjanovic. There isn't really another player signed to contest one of these 15 players. It might be a Pop wish not to have a fight for a roster spot during training camp. He will still have a lot of work to include the new players, especially Aldridge, to the team. Not having to worry about the 14th or 15th spot will be welcomed.

Chinook
08-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Wright seems like a great candidate to come in near the end of the season if Fredette and the SLMVPs aren't cutting it. He should be available in mid-March.

I think the Spurs have enough competition for the final rotation spot to not fret too much over bringing in 16 or more guys to compete. I agree with you that Pop probably wants a set roster so he can spend time figuring out his rotation. That said there is still a roster to fill, and that's where losing guys like Graham and Scott hurts. Those are definitely players who could develop on the Toros and spell the main guys in TC.

I guess I'm just surprised at how many of those d-leaguers are going elsewhere when they aren't making those other teams either. You'd think Simmons would be a pretty good example to them that the Spurs care about the Toros and are willing to bring up guys who perform well in Austin.

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Jimmer >>> Wright

BillMc
08-18-2015, 11:31 AM
When I look at Spurs possible signing in mid July for the shooting wing they needed, Wright looked like the best candidate. I wonder if Spurs tried to sign him before going after Fredette. Wright is to me a clearly better player than Fredette.

it looks like there will no battle for roster spots at training camp. Spurs still have their 15 players with Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge Duncan, Mills, Ginobili, Anderson, Diaw, West, McCallum, Fredette, Simmons, Bonner and Marjanovic. There isn't really another player signed to contest one of these 15 players. It might be a Pop wish not to have a fight for a roster spot during training camp. He will still have a lot of work to include the new players, especially Aldridge, to the team. Not having to worry about the 14th or 15th spot will be welcomed.

Did Williams get released?

Bruno
08-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Did Williams get released?

No, he hasn't been waived.

I don't think that Williams is a serious candidate for that 15th spot. He hasn't been impressive last season and will be quite expensive to keep. For example, Keeping Williams as 15th player for the season will cost Spurs $1.87M more than keeping Fredette for the season.

BillMc
08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
No, he hasn't been waived.

I don't think that Williams is a serious candidate for that 15th spot. He hasn't been impressive last season and will be quite expensive to keep. For example, Keeping Williams as 15th player for the season will cost Spurs $1.87M more than keeping Fredette for the season.

Cheers Bruno for the clarification. I thought, though I must have been mistaken, that Williams' salary was at least partially guaranteed.

Bruno
08-19-2015, 10:33 PM
A player who should be viewed as a potential part of the training camp roster is Deshaun Thomas.

Thomas turned down re-signing with Barcelona in early July because he wants to give a try at the NBA. Since that he hasn't been linked with another European team. It's definitively a possibility that he will do like James Gist did few years ago and signs the required tender.

If Thomas is added, Spurs will have 19 players under contract and be only one short of the max roster size for training camp. They might want to keep that 20th spot open for the moment in case a good last minute candidate pops up or they might also go with 19 players which is plenty enough for training camp.

jyra
08-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Not sure if he has any chance of making their roster but with Jimmer around I guess it didn't make much sense to stick with the Spurs.

Chinook
08-21-2015, 11:11 AM
A player who should be viewed as a potential part of the training camp roster is Deshaun Thomas.

You're right. I remember reading a Spanish article going over that. I don't know if the roster looks good or bad for him. Honestly, he showed some good flashes in Barca. If he's a legit wing (third string), then I think he can stick over Jimmer. Thomas is a pretty good scorer and rebounder, and he seemed like a willing and able passer in his summer-league stints. Would have liked to have seen him this season over Davies.

That he didn't play is interesting. He hasn't been in SA this summer as far as I know. There might be a dispute between him and the team over whether he's ready to come over. Might pull a McClinton, though I think he's more able to help an NBA team than Jack was.

SAGirl
08-21-2015, 12:46 PM
You're right. I remember reading a Spanish article going over that. I don't know if the roster looks good or bad for him. Honestly, he showed some good flashes in Barca. If he's a legit wing (third string), then I think he can stick over Jimmer. Thomas is a pretty good scorer and rebounder, and he seemed like a willing and able passer in his summer-league stints. Would have liked to have seen him this season over Davies.

That he didn't play is interesting. He hasn't been in SA this summer as far as I know. There might be a dispute between him and the team over whether he's ready to come over. Might pull a McClinton, though I think he's more able to help an NBA team than Jack was.
Who is McClinton and what happened to him?

Chinook
08-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Who is McClinton and what happened to him?

This undersized two-guard the Spurs drafted instead of Mills back in 2009. They wanted him to go overseas, and he rejected their offer and instead signed his one-year min tender (which teams have to offer to their second-rounders). He was cut after camp, and pretty much faded into obscurity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_McClinton

SAGirl
08-21-2015, 01:16 PM
This undersized two-guard the Spurs drafted instead of Mills back in 2009. They wanted him to go overseas, and he rejected their offer and instead signed his one-year min tender (which teams have to offer to their second-rounders). He was cut after camp, and pretty much faded into obscurity.

Wow that is an interesting tidbit. Thanks for sharing. I guess the guy did not want to bet on his possibility of getting better. Thomas situation intrigues me too.

Bruno
08-21-2015, 01:39 PM

McClinton was cut before training camp. He asked to be waived after having signed the required tender when Spurs signed Keith "The Centerpiece" Bogans just before training camp. He realized he had no shot at making the roster. He later signed with Minny a TC contract and was cut only after 1 week.

I think it's pretty clear Spurs aren't interested in signing Thomas. If it was the case, he would have been signed otherwise in July and Spurs wouldn't have filled their roster with Bonner, Simmons and Fredette. To me, the question is if Thomas wants to come to the NBA with the required tender or if he will finally go back to Europe.
If he forces his way to the TC, he really shouldn't be blamed. He has spend two years in Europe and reached a good level. It's legit for him to want to try the NBA even if Spurs don't think he is good enough.

Chinook
08-21-2015, 01:47 PM
McClinton was cut before training camp. He asked to be waived after having signed the required tender when Spurs signed Keith "The Centerpiece" Bogans just before training camp. He realized he had no shot at making the roster. He later signed with Minny a TC contract and was cut only after 1 week.

I think it's pretty clear Spurs aren't interested in signing Thomas. If it was the case, he would have been signed otherwise in July and Spurs wouldn't have filled their roster with Bonner, Simmons and Fredette. To me, the question is if Thomas wants to come to the NBA with the required tender or if he will finally go back to Europe.
If he forces his way to the TC, he really shouldn't be blamed. He has spend two years in Europe and reached a good level. It's legit for him to want to try the NBA even if Spurs don't think he is good enough.

I think it's clear they'd rather him go back to Europe. But I was saying that I think Thomas has a chance to make the roster even if he has to force his way into a tryout. He seems like a more versatile player than Fredette, and he's cheaper
(thinking long-term here). I would hate to see the team lose his rights, but I also think it makes sense for him to make the leap this season. He'd probably get a call-up even if he's cut from SA, and if not, he has a pretty decent future in Europe.

Bruno
08-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Yep, I agree that he will have a legit shot at making the roster if he signs with Spurs. Fredette will still be the favorite for the last spot since Spurs decided to offer him that contract but Thomas certainly has a better shot at kicking Fredette of the roster than Williams, NDoye or Sykes.

TD 21
08-21-2015, 04:14 PM
A team with legit championship aspirations isn't going to go with three virtual rookies on the wings; two of which can't defend and none of which are knockdown shooters.

Thomas can shoot, but he's more scorer than shooter and they're looking for a dead eye type; not someone who's probably average to slightly above.

I can understand him not wanting to wait another year, but his chances could be better then, so long as they don't draft a wing in the 1st round, Ginobili retires and one of Anderson or Simmons has established themselves as a rotation player.

timtonymanu
08-21-2015, 05:23 PM
:lol McClinton. I remember that scrub. Dude sucked in the summer league and a lot of posters were intrigued by him. Thankfully, Patty fell into the Spurs laps eventually.

Kikoluna
08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
It scares me to see Kyle Anderson as the number 2. Nobody else here seems concerned about this. Kyle " 9 minute mile" Anderson is our number 2 .....:wow. Also, Jimmer is often dismissed, I think he will play a significant role.

Chinook
08-23-2015, 09:20 AM
No. No one should be concerned that Anderson is the backup three. Not even close.

Kikoluna
08-23-2015, 11:01 AM
No. No one should be concerned that Anderson is the backup three. Not even close.
Did you not see him last year against quality teams? The guy is a weak link.

Chinook
08-23-2015, 11:19 AM

He looked good to me. And who cares if the 10th man is the weak link in the playoffs? Like seriously. Between Green, Leonard, Manu and Mills, we're talking about a handful of minutes at the most. It's not worth worrying about, even disregarding the fact that Anderson looks like a great fit and that there are two other candidates for that spot.

exstatic
08-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Did you see him in December when he got minutes when Kawhi was out? He shot 50% from the field.

TD 21
08-23-2015, 07:16 PM
He looked good to me. And who cares if the 10th man is the weak link in the playoffs? Like seriously. Between Green, Leonard, Manu and Mills, we're talking about a handful of minutes at the most. It's not worth worrying about, even disregarding the fact that Anderson looks like a great fit and that there are two other candidates for that spot.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm skeptical about the fit, because I think a knockdown three-point shooter would be better than another creator.

That being said, the Warriors made it work last season with limited three-point shooting and before Ezeli replaced Speights, limited rim protection. In fact, the two benches remind me of each other. Similarities: Mills and Barbosa, Ginobili and Iguodala, Livingston and Anderson, Diaw and Barnes, West and Speights.

spurraider21
08-23-2015, 07:25 PM
RJ 24 complaining per par

Bruno
08-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Carlos Delfino had another foot surgery last week and won't play with Argentina NT this summer. The surgery seemed minor (removal of a cyst) but it seems unlikely he will be ready for NBA training camp. Spurs brought him to SA this summer to look at him and with a good NT performance he might have been a surprise TC invite.

BTW, it was Delfino 5th foot surgery and he has been out for more than 2 years. It should be tough for him and it also show how a broken foot can be devastating for a player's career. Spurs being so careful with Marjanovic is partially explained that he could have developed a career threatening injury.

ace3g
08-26-2015, 12:01 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
(https://twitter.com/IAmDPick)Spurs to workout Brazilian hulk Rafael Hettsheimeir, agent told me. Liked him at PanAm games.

Chinook
08-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Would have been more okay with that had they signed Withy to the deal the Jazz signed him to instead of Boban. I could see them letting Jeff and Raf battle it out for the sixth big spot. But Boban is guaranteed a seat (unless he's negotiating a buyout to play for the SNT or something). With NDoye on the roster, there's no need for another center, even for camp.

Spur|n|Austin
08-26-2015, 12:33 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
(https://twitter.com/IAmDPick)Spurs to workout Brazilian hulk Rafael Hettsheimeir, agent told me. Liked him at PanAm games.

Helped in the Spanish League Championship win in 2013

spurslegacy
08-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Spurs going to workout Sean Kilpatrick. From watching just his highlights he looks like another 3pt gunner, Gary Neal type.

i REAAALLY liked what i saw of this kid during summer league, and i simply can't believe the Bucks didn't sign him immediately following SL considering their shooting woes throughout last year. I think he's more likely to make the roster than Jimmer honestly. He can play off the ball, shoot the 3 and runs the floor well, and he's bigger than Jimmer, which has gotta count for something given Patty and Ray being undersized for shooting guards too - we do NOT need another undersized shooting guard.

JR3
08-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Anyone seeing pop play bois at the 3 this year?

Mel_13
09-02-2015, 10:52 AM

Chinook
09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
whats the point of an invite if he wont make the team when its clear the roster is settled

come over and play dleague on shit salary?

He'll get at least a couple of call ups from teams if he gets cut. Again, he has a chance to make the roster. Or maybe the Spurs can trade him. DeShaun has good tape.

SAGirl
09-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Anyone seeing pop play boris at the 3 this year? I do not. Boris can do it for a possession or two on a switch, and maybe if the roster is a bit depleted by injuries, foul trouble, etc. but you don't want to "assign" him to the wing per se. I think Pop will try different guys and eventually pick a favorite, whoever meshes better with the other guys and supplies something they really need.

Chinook
09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
So apparently, this is the full TC Roster:

PG: Parker, Mills, McCallum, Sykes
SG: Green, Ginobili, Fredette, Williams
SF: Leonard, Anderson, Simmons, (Rasul) Butler,
PF: Aldridge, West, Bonner, Thomas
C: Duncan, Diaw, Marjanovic, NDoye.

First three guys at each position are likely to make the team. Thomas and Butler are the only guys with a realistic shot of unseating on of the projected final 15. Again, I feel that Fredette (35 percent likely to be cut in my spitballing estimate), Bonner (20 percent likely) and Simmons (10) are the most vulnerable. Those numbers give a 53-percent chance of one of the camp guys making the team, so that's something to look out for.

Ice009
09-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't think Simmons would be one of the guys with a chance of being cut. He's got a skill set that this team really needs. Someone that can slash and get to the rim, plus I am also sure that he will bring some defense to go along with it. If his game does translate, then I think a 10 percent chance of him being cut is still a high number.

The only way he'd be a possibility to be cut is if his slashing/penetration game doesn't translate to the next level and/or his shooting is really, really bad. I think his game with translate though, and I think he will bring it.

BillMc
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM
So apparently, this is the full TC Roster:

PG: Parker, Mills, McCallum, Sykes
SG: Green, Ginobili, Fredette, Williams
SF: Leonard, Anderson, Simmons, (Rasul) Butler,
PF: Aldridge, West, Bonner, Thomas
C: Duncan, Diaw, Marjanovic, NDoye.

First three guys at each position are likely to make the team. Thomas and Butler are the only guys with a realistic shot of unseating on of the projected final 15. Again, I feel that Fredette (35 percent likely to be cut in my spitballing estimate), Bonner (20 percent likely) and Simmons (10) are the most vulnerable. Those numbers give a 53-percent chance of one of the camp guys making the team, so that's something to look out for.

Good analysis man. :toast

Chinook
09-28-2015, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't think Simmons would be one of the guys with a chance of being cut. He's got a skill set that this team really needs. Someone that can slash and get to the rim, plus I am also sure that he will bring some defense to go along with it. If his game does translate, then I think 10 percent chance of him being cut is still a high number.

The only way he'd be be a possibility to be cut is if his slashing/penetration game doesn't translate to the next level and/or his shooting is really, really bad. I think his game with translate though, and I think he will bring it.

I do think Simmons is a near-lock to make the team. The two biggest factors into him potentially not making it are his lack of NBA-level experience and his contract. I do think there's a 10-percent chance that either his game doesn't translate or that it just doesn't demonstrate that it's good enough when it matters. His contract is pretty desirable, so the Spurs could probably let him go without having to swallow the guaranteed money, since he'd be claimed. In contrast, it would cost them millions to cut Bonner, even though Matt is not nearly as safe from a pure personnel standpoint (direct competitor for his spot is a draft pick)

wildbill2u
09-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Your PM box is full.

SpursBig3s
09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Apologies if this question has already been asked, but when does training camp actually start? I know the first preseason game is next Thursday, but just curious on when TC starts, which I am assuming is this week yeah?

EDIT: just read that David West article by Woj and it stated that training camp has already started... my bad

ElNono
09-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Apologies if this question has already been asked, but when does training camp actually start? I know the first preseason game is next Thursday, but just curious on when TC starts, which I am assuming is this week yeah?

EDIT: just read that David West article by Woj and it stated that training camp has already started... my bad

Starts basically tomorrow... right after media day

BillMc
09-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Patty after training camp Day 2:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443643172806-training-camp-day-2-patty.mp4-36148

BillMc
09-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Patty after training camp Day 2:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443643172806-training-camp-day-2-patty.mp4-36148

And, if you don't like Patty you're either a sociopath or a bitter Guest fan...

NASpurs
09-30-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm guessing the scrimmage is next week, right? Any official date?

Nathan89
09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Can't wait to watch these guys play. David West seems to like it so far.

spursistan
09-30-2015, 04:36 PM

David West is that dude...no talk of touches, role and numbers and shit :toast..he is just appreciating the ride with ultimate respect of what he is being part of...going from Indiana cancerous locker room to the Spurs culture :lol

Ditty
09-30-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing the scrimmage is next week, right? Any official date?

Been hearing that there won't be one this year due to the renovations. Hopefully that won't be the case, and it will be early next week. Thankfully they play next Thursday already.

NASpurs
09-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Been hearing that there won't be one this year due to the renovations. Hopefully that won't be the case, and it will be early next week. Thankfully they play next Thursday already.

Yeah that's true about the renovations. Damn I really wanted to see the scrimmage this year. :lol

NASpurs
09-30-2015, 05:30 PM
I'll stick this here:

Spurs' history of sacrifice continues
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/73598/spurs-history-of-sacrifice-continues?

SAN ANTONIO -- Run down the list. David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west), Danny Green (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green), Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili), franchise icon Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan). All either took less money to play in 2015-16 for theSan Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) than they’ve earned previously or could’ve commanded elsewhere.

Point guard Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) did the same thing last year.

“We all did sacrifices in different moments,” Ginobili said. “It’s not just because we are altruistic. We are having fun here. We like it. The quality of life for me is very important, and I think we are going to do OK financially. It’s all a matter of choosing what you want to do. For me, the day to day, feeling good, is very important for me and my family.”

It’s apparent plenty of other Spurs feel the same way, as they’ve over the years built a culture of selflessness culminating in championships. So while there’s a sense of pride within the organization about its culture luring talent, Ginobili wants to see the Spurs repay the widespread sacrifices by putting more hardware in the trophy case.
West walked away from a $12.5 million contract option in Indiana to play for the $1.4 million veteran’s minimum with the Spurs.

Green took a four-year $45 million deal to rejoin the Spurs despite comparable peers around the league such as Khris Middleton (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6609/khris-middleton) and Wes Matthews cashing in on contracts worth $70 million.

“I’ve been a Spurs fan since I was a child,” West said. “You know about them, you hear about them all the time throughout the league. Obviously, competing against them, you know how hard it is to prepare and beat them. So far, everything you hear about them is true. There’s a calmness here, a respect level here that you appreciate. Guys just operate at a different level. A part of it is who they are, just that idea about wanting to win and preparing the right way. I played in New Orleans for eight years, competed against these guys a bunch. So I know what it is. I know how they prepare. I know how they play. I know how they execute. Being on the other side of that for a lot of years, you see it and you envy it sometimes.”

Now West finds himself a part of the Spurs culture. While coach Gregg Popovich said what West did was “real and true,” he also commended Green for sacrificing by taking less as the cap-strapped club pursued coveted free agent LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge).

“It gives you a great feeling,” Ginobili said when asked specifically about West. “You feel pride that he chose us, giving up so much money. But at the same time, it creates responsibility. He chose us over a lot of other teams. We want to show them that they made a good decision, and that we play well, they’re going to have fun, and they’re going to enjoy the whole ride. Hopefully, we end up celebrating.”

Green said Wednesday it “definitely” shows what West is all about by his willingness to take less compensation to become a Spur.

But over the summer, when Green did the same thing to return, he told the San Antonio Express-News: “San Antonio is home for me. It’s an easy way of life. Anywhere else, you don’t get the same weather, the same type of fans and people. It was a situation where I was willing to come back for less.”

If the Spurs continue their winning ways, they can expect similar sacrifices.

“It was incredible he would say he wants to be on a winning team, a winning organization and pull the trigger and give up what he gave up and commit to coming here,” Duncan said of West.

Duncan would know. He and many other Spurs have done the same thing.

ace3g
09-30-2015, 07:26 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/news_block_large_3_col/public/home_0.jpg?itok=KUs4XpZl (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443648367240-spurs-update-training-camp-2.mp4-36277) Spurs Update: Training Camp Day 2 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443648367240-spurs-update-training-camp-2.mp4-36277)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/news_block_large_2_col/public/externals/f2f908ff7b72ed743bf2b1ee69ecb0d7.jpg?itok=LdwXyq_v (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443644530272-training-camp-day-2-west.mp4-36183) David West: Training Camp Day 2 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443644530272-training-camp-day-2-west.mp4-36183)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/news_block_large/public/screen_shot_2015-09-30_at_4.11.44_pm.png?itok=R9R5d-zX (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443645715756-training-camp-day-2-manu.mp4-36202) Manu Ginobili: Training Camp Day 2 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443645715756-training-camp-day-2-manu.mp4-36202)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/news_block_medium/public/externals/b390578af9979512cf924993e306116a.jpg?itok=NFIKfbAl (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443643172806-training-camp-day-2-patty.mp4-36148) Patty Mills: Training Camp Day 2 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/09/30/1443643172806-training-camp-day-2-patty.mp4-36148)

tholdren
09-30-2015, 08:52 PM
where is jimmer's pic from camp?

szkorhetz
09-30-2015, 09:21 PM

David West is that dude...no talk of touches, role and numbers and shit :toast..he is just appreciating the ride with ultimate respect of what he is being part of...going from Indiana cancerous locker room to the Spurs culture :lol

:cry

weeks
09-30-2015, 11:31 PM
from that ginobili interview, he talks about how he can't really give an opinion on LMA because he hasn't seen him much - he hasn't been around that often.

i dunno guys, something about all this...

Ice009
09-30-2015, 11:50 PM
from that ginobili interview, he talks about how he can't really give an opinion on LMA because he hasn't seen him much - he hasn't been around that often.

So what are you thinking exactly?

ElNono
10-01-2015, 12:59 AM

They had two practices together, what do you expect?

I doubt he attended the open gym much, dude had to move all his shit from Portland, etc...

ElNono
10-01-2015, 01:13 AM
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446198492254379
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446178525589709
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446142245593337
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446142885593273

ElNono
10-01-2015, 01:17 AM
damn that second video...

Black team: Patty, Reggie, Kawhi, LMA and Tim...

:lol LMA missing everything

benfti
10-01-2015, 01:40 AM

What I find interesting, and it just occurred to me, is does Patty have the leg up on Tony with the LMA transition given he has played with him before?

ElNono
10-01-2015, 01:55 AM
What I find interesting, and it just occurred to me, is does Patty have the leg up on Tony with the LMA transition given he has played with him before?

Doubt it.

apalisoc_9
10-01-2015, 02:02 AM
Replace Reggie with Danny and that's probably the best lineup in the league.

LMA already chucking and playing blazers ball with spurs..SMDH

Ditty
10-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Great find ElNono :toast

Lamarcus makes 80-90% of those mid range shots especially wide open like that. I liked the way West ended up not letting LaMarcus back him down like he has done with a lot of players around the league. Both guys are incredibly strong. I was getting tired of seeing Griffin back down Diaw and Splitter last season, now he should have a lot more harder time now imo.

Nice pick by West on the other side of the floor on Williams, it looked like Tim had no interest blocking Butler's shot :lol. Reggie Williams looked very active those two plays on offense. Bonner looked pretty slow, and got rebounded.

ElNono
10-01-2015, 03:15 AM
Kawhi still shuffling his feet trying to penetrate... I guess footwork wasn't part of his summer drills

SAGirl
10-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Kawhi still shuffling his feet trying to penetrate... I guess footwork wasn't part of his summer drills
What do you call shuffling feet Nono? The drills were fun to watch, but the live game was grainy. I could really only pick out Bonner. :-) I think I saw Kawhi shoot a kind of floater. I could not quite tell who was who too much, specially in the game. Drills were slower so its a kind of easier for me.

ElNono
10-01-2015, 03:23 AM
This video is supposed practice of the new "wall" defense.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=445974078943487

He goes to explain that what they mean by that is, face up, and don't give a line. If the ball goes down, step back because dribbling is probably coming. If the ball goes up, then press.
In the case of dribbling, force them going to the sides or back, but never towards the rim.

ElNono
10-01-2015, 03:25 AM
What do you call shuffling feet Nono? The drills were fun to watch, but the live game was grainy. I could really only pick out Bonner. :-) I think I saw Kawhi shoot a kind of floater. I could not quite tell who was who too much, specially in the game. Drills were slower so its a kind of easier for me.

Yeah, on that floater. He doesn't "drive", he kind of barges in traffic and throws the floater up. If you look at his feet, he's just shuffling, not driving. He did a lot of that last season when penetrating and the line wasn't quite there.

ElNono
10-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Drive and dish exercise...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=445894325618129

BillMc
10-01-2015, 03:39 AM

Nice! Thanks man. :toast

SAGirl
10-01-2015, 03:53 AM

Would be nice to add how to pass on the move without telegraping the pass. I thought that killed Cojo's assist rate a lot, he wasn't too good passing on the move and when he did he sent a telegram notifying every defender in the circumference. Ha ha I am messing a bit. That is probably individual skill work for guys. I thought teams played the passing lanes a lot against the Spurs last season, specially to start the season, which caused some ugly 20 TO games specially early.

NASpurs
10-01-2015, 03:54 AM

:wow Damn that is some good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Funny how Jimmer sticks out in that zone defense they're playing (probably for a reason) :lol

Maddog
10-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Would be nice to add how to pass on the move without telegraping the pass. I thought that killed Cojo's assist rate a lot, he wasn't too good passing on the move and when he did he sent a telegram notifying every defender in the circumference. Ha ha I am messing a bit. That is probably individual skill work for guys. I thought teams played the passing lanes a lot against the Spurs last season, specially to start the season, which caused some ugly 20 TO games specially early.

Really impressed with the intensity.

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 08:36 AM

He tends to do that b/c he wants to pull up for the mid-range shot at the FT line & that is the reason he didn't push off when he started his drive. He usually like to drive from the wing & pull up from the top of the key. Sometime he will spin if the defender is bodying him up & go to the rack. Although he doesn't have the same scoring mentality, Kawhi's offensive game is similar to Carmelo in that he's dependent on mid-range shot & post-ups rather than drives. The other player that people compare to Carmelo (LMA) is also also on the team except he has a scorers mentality unlike Kawhi. Ron Artest, the guy people compare Kawhi defensively, on the other hand shuffled his feet when he drove b/c he had short stride.

I have a feeling that offensively LMA/Kawhi are going to be a reincarnation of the 67 win Mavs squad that featured Dirk/Josh Howard w/ Danny/Patty playing the Jason Terry/Devin Harris role & D-West playing the enforcer role that was occupied by Stackhouse. The rest of the squad (i.e. Tim vs. Dampier) shits on the Mavs thus won't be overdependent on LMA/Kawhi as the Mavs were on Dirk/Howard.

FvckMavs
10-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Good stuff. Thanks.

TheDoctor
10-01-2015, 09:54 AM

ElNono with another MVP of a post unlike l'faible bus.

loveforthegame
10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
ElNono with the goods. Thanks. :tu

yagozev
10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Is Thibodeau sitting next to Huevo in this video https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=445894325618129?

ceperez
10-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Good observation about playing the passing lanes. I guess the remedy for that is too have a lot of motion. It's a complicated offense, hopefully with more players in the roster who can create on offense, it'll lower the need to make risky plays.

spursistan
10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
?

:lol I only hope he realize he isn't playing in Blazers uniform anymore when he is having one of those nights..a player of his height and passing skills in this system shouldn't settle for those 5 for 16 outings too often..With his already expressed sensitivity about touches/shots, this something to watch for in this quite intriguing Spurs season..

ElNono
10-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Boban sighting:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446342695573292

ElNono
10-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Tony:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446343482239880

ElNono
10-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Some more vids:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446347398906155
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446348818906013
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446358762238352

weeks
10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
So what are you thinking exactly?
nothing really. i just get a different vibe from LMA, i don't think he'll fit as seamlessly as west

it should still work out, but i think it'll be rocky

BillMc
10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Some more vids:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446347398906155
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446348818906013
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446358762238352

ElNono with the goods per usual. :toast

BillMc
10-01-2015, 12:08 PM
nothing really. i just get a different vibe from LMA, i don't think he'll fit as seamlessly as west

it should still work out, but i think it'll be rocky

I know exactly the vibe you mean, and West by comparison is a natural Spur in attitude, but I trust team culture to keep LMA focused.

ceperez
10-01-2015, 12:28 PM
I know exactly the vibe you mean, and West by comparison is a natural Spur in attitude, but I trust team culture to keep LMA focused.

With all this talkie about West and Green making sacrifices, you just never know how it makes Aldridge feel. I think he also should have taken a pay cut. Wish him well, but not really a fan.

peacemaker885
10-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Wait, are we even "allowed" to watch these?

ElNono
10-01-2015, 12:56 PM
scrimmage, starters vs bench:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446364582237770

ElNono
10-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Who's on the white team?

I see Manu running point, Anderson at SF, West... is Butler at SG and Thomas at PF?

Black is definitely Tony, Danny, Kawhi, LMA, Tim

BillMc
10-01-2015, 01:05 PM
With all this talkie about West and Green making sacrifices, you just never know how it makes Aldridge feel. I think he also should have taken a pay cut. Wish him well, but not really a fan.

He did take a pay cut relative to what Portland could pay him. Let's give him time.

BillMc
10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQP_5VSUwAAPeH5.jpg

Kyle and Chip. Like that combination.

TheLoop
10-01-2015, 01:37 PM

great vid!

Manu never makes a simple pass :lol
And Deshaun Thomas not wearing spurs practice gear?

jyra
10-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Who's on the white team?

I see Manu running point, Anderson at SF, West... is Butler at SG and Thomas at PF?

Black is definitely Tony, Danny, Kawhi, LMA, Tim

I think West is playing C. I just had to chuckle at Manu giving a foul to stop the transition opportunity in a practice game.

TheDoctor
10-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I think West is playing C. I just had to chuckle at Manu giving a foul to stop the transition opportunity in a practice game.

Could be that in his first ever practice with the Spurs he didn't and Pop chew him badly.

szkorhetz
10-01-2015, 02:50 PM
We talk a lot about our strong frontcourt but this won't be bad either.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/hawks/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/2_15.jpg?itok=rnZwZL75

TheDoctor
10-01-2015, 03:03 PM
We talk a lot about our strong frontcourt but this won't be bad either.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/hawks/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/2_15.jpg?itok=rnZwZL75

IF, Tiago stays healthy that FC should be defensively good.

DesignatedT
10-01-2015, 03:17 PM
They won't create much spacing in ATL with those three on the floor. I'd live with Milsap 3's and Horford jumpers.

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Yeah, D-West is the type of guy that doesn't need to score & is willing to do the dirty work. I would compare LMA on the Spurs to Carmelo playing w/ Billups when the Nuggets made the WCF in '09 & gave the Lakers all they could handle after Billups (who was the leader of the team) convinced him to be a team player on offense & put effort on the defensive side.

SAGirl
10-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Most coveted free agent this year who was actually available, and a legit all-star wasn't going to take a pay cut. He was already taking less by not resigning. He just has to live up to his contract. Kawhi too honestly. There is one other guys in the team who could be considered overpaid relative to production and that is Tony.

NASpurs
10-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Day 3 interviews:

LaMarcus: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443731453287-aldridge-training-camp-10.1.15.mp4-37608

Parker: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443729972072-Parker-Training-Camp-10.1.15.mp4-37579

Pop: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443730722260-Coach-Popovich-10.1.15.mp4-37594

BillMc
10-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Day 3 interviews:

LaMarcus: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443731453287-aldridge-training-camp-10.1.15.mp4-37608

Parker: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443729972072-Parker-Training-Camp-10.1.15.mp4-37579

Pop: http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/01/1443730722260-Coach-Popovich-10.1.15.mp4-37594

Cheers!:bobo

NASpurs
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/conversation-bill-and-sean

Sean Elliott and Bill Land are back for their 13th season together broadcasting Spurs games. Locally, 73 Games will air on FOX Sports Southwest, KENS-TV and KMYS-TV, with Bill and Sean calling the action.

They sat down for a conversation with Spurs.com as the broadcast schedule was announced on Thursday.

Are you ready for another season?
Bill: I think I’m like most of the fans this year. I’m more excited than I’ve ever been to get back to basketball, particularly working with Sean. With 45 more days of offseason compared to the past three years and with the offseason changes, I think every Spurs fan is ready to get going.
Sean: I would say the same thing. Everybody always asks me if I’m ready to start the season, and I’ve got to say that this year I’m more excited than I’ve been in a long, long time. It’s going to be fun to watch how the new guys find their way and follow the journey. We get to see how they work together and see how the parts fit.

How do you see all the new players fitting in under coach Gregg Popovich?
Sean: It’s a playground for Pop right now. There are going to be some pressure situations and he’ll have to make some crucial decisions with a lineup that is loaded with players. For him, that’s going to be fun. He’ll get to mix and match, and he loves to keep it interesting.

While there are new additions with LaMarcus Aldridge and David West among others, the offseason was also highlighted by Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili returning for another season. Did you think they were coming back?
Sean: I was concerned. I didn’t know if Manu was going to come back, and I didn’t know about Timmy, either. Timmy has just played so well over the past few years, especially in the playoffs, and you want to go out on top. You want to go out leaving people wanting more. So that worried me, but I think he’ll go out on top whenever he retires.
When you’re bringing in new guys you want to keep that culture alive, and with a guy like Manu, he’s going to show them the right way to prepare and the right way to compete. When Manu’s there, the culture is contagious. I was ecstatic when they came back. I told Timmy I was glad to have my punching bag back for another season.
Bill: I’m sure he’s excited about that, too.

How will it be breaking down a new lineup?
Sean: It will be a lot more interesting to get to provide a scouting report on potentially five new players. I like Boban Marjanovic. I saw tape on him, and this guy fits right in to what we’re trying to do. He has size, finishes around the rim and blocks shots well. A guy like that could be huge for the Spurs when you have nights where Pop could rest Timmy and some of the older guys for him.

What was your first impression when you saw the team together?
Bill: I was impressed with everybody’s enthusiasm. Sean was talking about whether Tim or Manu were coming back, and what was amazing to me was how all of that was tied together. LaMarcus Aldridge maybe isn’t going to sign here if Tim isn’t coming back, and David West might not be here or Manu might not return if not for everyone else.
Everybody’s excited to be here together, and I think part of that excitement is in the unknown. They’re not quite sure how it will all fit together, and that makes the preseason more exciting, too.
Sean: If you go on recent history when teams have added big name free agents, it can take a little while for everything to fit together. But here, with the sense you have Pop and that all these guys are coming here to fill a role, it’s a different mindset. They’ve all said that they’re not coming here to be stars, and they’re coming to win a championship. So maybe that makes things come together a little quicker.

What can fans expect from the broadcast in 2015-16?
Sean: It’s going to be so much fun. I’m more excited than a lot of these fans, because I know what kind of potential this team has. It will be so much fun to watch them develop and grow, and to be able to call the games next to my man, Bill.
Bill: It’s going to be a blast. We’re so lucky to have our whole crew working the games, and we have this great organization and team to follow. To have the anticipation of this season, too, we’re just the luckiest guys in the world.

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Most coveted free agent this year who was actually available, and a legit all-star wasn't going to take a pay cut. He was already taking less by not resigning. He just has to live up to his contract. Kawhi too honestly. There is one other guys in the team who could be considered overpaid relative to production and that is Tony.

Mothafuckas in here acting like LMA got the supermax ala Melo, Rose, Kobe...etc. He got the same deal as Paul Millsap & he's a better player than Millsap. Folks might want to look around at the contracts being handed out to role players & guys such as Tristan demanding a max contract. Although he isn't underpaid like Pau/Curry but if anything his contract will become a bargain by the start of next summer.

weeks
10-01-2015, 05:03 PM

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446364582237770

timmy bailing out failed possessions per par

ceperez
10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
timmy bailing out failed possessions per par

Let's see, it's Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge and Duncan in black.
The other team it's Manu, West, Anderson, Butler?, Thomas?

Namundy
10-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Really liking this David West character.

SAGirl
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Let's see, it's Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge and Duncan in black.
The other team it's Manu, West, Anderson, Butler?, Thomas?
I could not identify for sure who failed to box out Kawhi for a defensive rebound. That is death against Kawhi, he almost got an offensive rebound. He seemed like Butler to me, but could have been Simmons too. I can't tell th film is grainy. I did recognize Manu's bald spot though. :lol

look_at_g_shred
10-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Damn I can't fucking wait!!!

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I could not identify for sure who failed to box out Kawhi for a defensive rebound. That is death against Kawhi, he almost got an offensive rebound. He seemed like Butler to me, but could have been Simmons too. I can't tell th film is grainy. I did recognize Manu's bald spot though. :lol

I thinks it's Butler, he's almost the same height as Kyle.

GooberNuts
10-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Rachel Santschi is a babe

ace3g
10-01-2015, 09:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/532617697905766400/8GMNsRg3_bigger.jpeg NBA Verified account ‏@NBA (https://twitter.com/NBA)

The @Spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)' @D_West30 (https://twitter.com/D_West30) gets payoff being with 'mythological' franchise (via @franblinebury (https://twitter.com/franblinebury)): http://on.nba.com/1FJT2rl (http://t.co/OtRNmUkZAV)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQRuhDRU8AABsN-.jpg
(https://twitter.com/NBA/status/649765761855025152/photo/1)

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Rachel Santschi is a babe

You must have a thing for "soccer moms"

apalisoc_9
10-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Parker ball hogging even in training..

Wow..

Just wow

Kawhitstorm
10-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Parker ball hogging even in training..

Wow..

Just wow

D-West spiked his shitty "bail me out" pass w/o even jumping. I'm pretty sure D-West is going to call him out & let him know that he didn't take a pay cut to put up w/ his dribble-dribble antics if he keeps up his selfish play when the season begins.

apalisoc_9
10-01-2015, 09:31 PM
D-West spiked his shitty "bail me out" pass w/o even jumping. I'm pretty sure D-West is going to call him out & let him know that he didn't take a pay cut to put up w/ his dribble-dribble antics if he keeps up his selfish play when the season begins.

Doesn't really matter..

if Parker's role hasn't changed, It will probably be just another wasted season..

apalisoc_9
10-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Pop can only do so much..he can tell him to be more of a "leader" but the reality is that he's still going to have the ball and if Eurobasket is any indication..Parker is just another kobe 2.0.

rastaspur
10-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Pop can only do so much..he can tell him to be more of a "leader" but the reality is that he's still going to have the ball and if Eurobasket is any indication..Parker is just another kobe 2.0.

Don't go all doomsday based on a 50 second clip of a practice session. Back off the ledge.

If Parker goes Kobe then pop will eventually bench him. Parker will have a better year than last year imo. Aldridge will help create more space in picknrolls and negate some of Tony's loss of speed and explosiveness.

West and Aldridge didn't sign up for that. And Timmy and manu didn't come back to watch him try and prove a point by pulling a Kobe out there. Not going to happen.

SAGirl
10-01-2015, 11:41 PM
I thinks it's Butler, he's almost the same height as Kyle.
Hmm, me no likey. Manu fouling to stop a fastbreak, you know he wants to win a scrimmage lol. Butler not even bother boxing out for a defensive rebound?? Yea he's saying stay with Simmons and Freddette Pop!!!

Kawhitstorm
10-02-2015, 02:37 AM

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...46364582237770 (https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=446364582237770)

Did Butler check out in the middle of the game at 0:24?

Gladney to see you
10-02-2015, 05:36 AM
What game?

YGWHI
10-02-2015, 01:39 PM
This video is supposed practice of the new "wall" defense.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=445974078943487

He goes to explain that what they mean by that is, face up, and don't give a line. If the ball goes down, step back because dribbling is probably coming. If the ball goes up, then press.
In the case of dribbling, force them going to the sides or back, but never towards the rim.

Coach Sanchez posted 3-4 videos of Kawhi, he seems very impressed by his post-up moves.
https://www.facebook.com/OscarHuevoSanchez/videos/vb.429592430581652/446376778903217/?type=2&theater

"40 min después de practica entrenando" he kept working 40 minutes after practice, right?
But I'm not sure what this means: "Había expresado antes que Pop antes de practica señaló que pueden usar el balón en mano entre perimetrales también . Si existe el cambio , Leonard pueden sacar ventaja"

If someone speaks spanish...thanks in advance.

ElNono
10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
This coach Sanchez posted 3-4 videos of Kawhi, he seems very impressed by his post-up moves.
https://www.facebook.com/OscarHuevoSanchez/videos/vb.429592430581652/446376778903217/?type=2&theater
"40 min después de practica entrenando" he kept working 40 minutes after practice, right?
But I'm not sure what this means: "Había expresado antes que Pop antes de practica señaló que pueden usar el balón en mano entre perimetrales también . Si existe el cambio , Leonard pueden sacar ventaja"

That reads "Pop have said before practice that perimeter players can handle the ball too. If that change does happen, Leonard can take advantage"... I think he means wing players when he mentions perimeter players.

YGWHI
10-02-2015, 01:46 PM
That reads "Pop have said before practice that perimeter players can handle the ball too. If that change does happen, Leonard can take advantage"... I think he means wing players when he mentions perimeter players.

Thanks!!! :tu

ceperez
10-02-2015, 02:09 PM

So, the change in the Spurs offense is that they are going to let guys like Leonard, Anderson, Simmons, Mills, McCallum and Fredette dribble the ball to figure out how to score? I mean we know Ginobili and Parker have the license to do that, but I didn't think everyone else had that license. Oh... forgot Green, but I don't think he'll be doing any dribbling!

Gladney to see you
10-02-2015, 02:12 PM
We don't need a team full of floor pounders.

SAGirl
10-02-2015, 02:22 PM

You are right. (I know my Spanish too :toast ) I take it to mean if there are switches (its not expressed which switches, but I am guessing switched defenses, like putting a larger, better defender on Tony taking away his penetration), then wing players can also handle the ball, and Leonard can take advantage of that.

Didn't we see Becky forcing switches by screening Kyle's defender out and having him post up on PGs a lot?

Chinook
10-02-2015, 02:44 PM
You are right. (I know my Spanish too :toast ) I take it to mean if there are switches (its not expressed which switches, but I am guessing switched defenses, like putting a larger, better defender on Tony taking away his penetration), then wing players can also handle the ball, and Leonard can take advantage of that.

Didn't we see Becky forcing switches by screening Kyle's defender out and having him post up on PGs a lot?

Yeah, that's the sense I got from the article as well, especially in the context of Leonard's post-ups. There are ways to force switches through the the offense.

The easiest way is probably running a 1/3 PnR, which was something OKC did back in the 2014 WCF. They can bring a Leonard post-up behind the penetration (sort of like a high-low but with a player in the corner or wing instead of the top of the key). The issue that was preventing the Spurs from doing that last season was the lack of a shooting four. There just wasn't a ton of room to run a 1/3 when the bigs were already in the paint. With LMA and West in the fold, the team should have room and the additional option of dropping if off to one of those guys in a bit of a triple-threat position. That's gonna make the rotations that much harder.

Kawhitstorm
10-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Yeah, that's the sense I got from the article as well, especially in the context of Leonard's post-ups. There are ways to force switches through the the offense.

The easiest way is probably running a 1/3 PnR, which was something OKC did back in the 2014 WCF. They can bring a Leonard post-up behind the penetration (sort of like a high-low but with a player in the corner or wing instead of the top of the key). The issue that was preventing the Spurs from doing that last season was the lack of a shooting four. There just wasn't a ton of room to run a 1/3 when the bigs were already in the paint. With LMA and West in the fold, the team should have room and the additional option of dropping if off to one of those guys in a bit of a triple-threat position. That's gonna make the rotations that much harder.

This all depends on Tony being able to hit a mid-range shot otherwise teams will just keep going under the screen rather than switching. I'm more optimistic about a Patty/D-West or LMA Pick-n-Pop somewhat like Jason Terry/Dirk or Lillard/LMA since Patty is actually a legit threat to score unlike the current version of Tony. Patty also doesn't have to be a playmaker (other than giving up the ball if teams switch) but a finisher ala Jason Terry.

With Diaw/Manu/Kyle possibly being on the floor along w/ Patty all he has to worry about is getting bucket. I expect a big year from Patty considering that Manu/Tony are on a decline & he is completely healthy.

apalisoc_9
10-02-2015, 06:51 PM

This is really dependent on the Guards hitting their shots though. It's a terrible idea to run this kind of offense for kawhi if every team is going to treat Parker the same way LA did..it's essentially a double team.

apalisoc_9
10-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Coach Sanchez posted 3-4 videos of Kawhi, he seems very impressed by his post-up moves.

link not working anymore..:depressed

apalisoc_9
10-02-2015, 07:08 PM
lol argentinan coach probably got a word from the Spurs organization.

All of his videos have been deleted. :lol

spursistan
10-02-2015, 08:15 PM
lol argentinan coach probably got a word from the Spurs organization.

All of his videos have been deleted. :lol
:lol most definitely..you get exclusive access to the Spurs camp for your own betterment as a coach/bb professional; you simply don't show it to the rest of the world in real time action..

ElNono
10-02-2015, 08:19 PM
This is the list of invited coaches:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/12096229_446350128905882_3047818945931830457_n.jpg ?oh=4bc58b83c87935c13e85482a39ad3926&oe=569BFF45

SAGirl
10-02-2015, 08:42 PM
:lol most definitely..you get exclusive access to the Spurs camp for your own betterment as a coach/bb professional; you simply don't show it to the rest of the world in real time action..
He could have posted it on facebook for private use.. but that is probably too techie for old timers lol feel sorry for Huevo. I hope we didn't get him in trouble. lol

tmtcsc
10-03-2015, 02:12 AM
I've had enough of the practice interviews. Enough of the chemistry questions, the fitting-in questions, the playing alongside Tim questions, etc.. I'm not sure how the players put up with it. I'm ready for the games to get started and for the on-court performances to tell us what we need to know. All the other stuff is bullshit. Pre-game rituals, superstitions, playing in a military city, learning from Tim (as if he has his own personal "coaches corner"), the mythology of the Spurs....Good gawd, enough already. And thank goodness that guest coach took down his daily videos of the Spurs working out. WTF was that about? Totally inappropriate for him to be broadcasting privileged information.

Rant over. Oct. 8 cant get here soon enough.

weeks
10-03-2015, 04:46 AM
yeah i hate watching the practice interviews. seems like all our beat reporters are awkward and have zero social sense whatsoever. cringe worthy stuff, usually

hooperflash
10-03-2015, 05:55 AM
I saved a few of my favorite practice videos onto my phone.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/12032642_1139079559440276_7018615302647185380_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

SpursFan86
10-03-2015, 08:41 AM
There's only so much you can talk about 3 days into training camp...but yeah, some of the chemistry/"fitting in" questions are already getting quite stale.

skin27
10-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Go spurs go

apalisoc_9
10-03-2015, 12:13 PM
I saved a few of my favorite practice videos onto my phone.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/12032642_1139079559440276_7018615302647185380_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

post the kawhi post ups

SAGirl
10-03-2015, 01:05 PM
The most awkward stuff was to Aldridge... somewhat personal too, like sleep patterns, pregame routines, where his son lives, any superstitious preparations for games !!!! He laughed it off. Aldridge has a sense of humor, thankfully.

Brian Windhorst
10-03-2015, 01:14 PM
The most awkward stuff was to Aldridge... somewhat personal too, like sleep patterns, pregame routines, where his son lives, any superstitious preparations for games !!!! He laughed it off. Aldridge has a sense of humor, thankfully.

That weird fucking guy has asked that question to everyone. LMA was the only one to call him out on it (and make it awkward). So fucking weird though. "How long is your nap on gameday? If you don't take your nap to you play worse? What specific food do you eat?"

spursistan
10-03-2015, 01:34 PM
let me guess..is it that jeff mcdonald guy who is asking all those silly and unrelated questions? dude comes across as a simpleton..

Brian Windhorst
10-03-2015, 02:00 PM
let me guess..is it that jeff mcdonald guy who is asking all those silly and unrelated questions? dude comes across as a simpleton..
Nah some guy I've never seen before. He's visible in the Patty interview. I dunno how you get a press pass but if Chester Molester lookin ass can get one it couldn't be that hard for me.

That being said, Jeff McDonald is a douche at least on twitter. If you're reading this Jeff, children could do your job buddy.

BillMc
10-03-2015, 03:28 PM
So, to kill some time, who will be the first player cut from training camp (and when)? And who will be last (and when, though presumably the last day of camp or right after)?

ace3g
10-03-2015, 03:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/649674293870129152/ymqLqQJ2_bigger.png San Antonio Spurs Verified account ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)

The team talks about their expectations for this year's Training Camp.

http://gospu.rs/1M1rfU7

(http://gospu.rs/1M1rfU7)

SAGirl
10-03-2015, 05:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/649674293870129152/ymqLqQJ2_bigger.png San Antonio Spurs Verified account ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)

David West is that dude I am just going to love to watch all season. He's no-nonsense. He's at that stage of his career where he is in to have a fun ride, no drama and play hard. He and Manu are just going to be a joy to watch.

Kyle: Well I have a soft spot for him and I think its bc he's a kid. Yea at least he's grown a proper beard and all. :lol But he's so young compared to everyone else, and Kawhi, who is the other young guy is already a vet, and notoriously serious... Kyle is the baby brother. :rollin

LMA: Too many of the same questions for him and hard to answer. Its like yea, let me get my bearings a little bit and get a sense for what I am going to do then I can tell you something interesting. Right now, he's still getting a feel for what Pop wants and for teammates.

Timmy: This is going to be a fun ride and a lot of learning for Pop!!! Pop is going to be interesting to watch this year specially I think. :flag:

SAGirl
10-03-2015, 06:02 PM
So, to kill some time, who will be the first player cut from training camp (and when)? And who will be last (and when, though presumably the last day of camp or right after)?
It would be a wild guess. I dont think they cut anyone until preseason bc they really want to get a sense for what they need and that is hard with so many new guys playing they don't know. Give me your own wild guess.

I am guessing Deshaun Thomas, bc he might get a contract elsewhere and may not want to stick for the whole thing if he's not getting a sense that he's making this team. Truly a shot in the dark for me here lol :blah

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Keifer after the first game, and Thomas after the 5th game.

ace3g
10-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Training Camp Day 4 https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f3a5.png Duncan » http://gospu.rs/1WEpMGq (http://t.co/UtjgRQiVfI) Anderson » http://gospu.rs/1LaD4Xp (http://t.co/d3wPQgE2Kk)

weeks
10-03-2015, 07:46 PM

Training Camp Day 4 https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f3a5.png Duncan » http://gospu.rs/1WEpMGq (http://t.co/UtjgRQiVfI) Anderson » http://gospu.rs/1LaD4Xp (http://t.co/d3wPQgE2Kk)

lma and west draining threes in the background.

should be interesting for other teams that are scouting us. they'll have to factor in LMA stretching them out sometimes as a legit threat from deep, even if he rarely takes them
couldn't really see west's form but his shots went in silky smooth

SAGirl
10-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Kyle is friking hilarious.... asked what he needs to work on. Sweaty looking says, just my body conditioning, a whole lot of stuff, overall game on both ends. Read between the lines: "Yea, Kawhi is kicking my butt. I am friking exhausted man. Yea, I need to get stronger." lol :lmao He looked happy and confident though. Also, very spurs kind of guy. Said nothing of his individual accolades from SL, the most satisfying thing for him was just playing well. This guy is one confident looking kid.
:flag:

ace3g
10-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Found this picture today, lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQP9MJmUAAAdfmu.jpg:large

SAGirl
10-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Found this picture today, lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQP9MJmUAAAdfmu.jpg:large

RC always has the same surprised expression... right?

Solid D
10-03-2015, 10:10 PM
RC always has the same surprised expression... right?

Hey, you might look like that too if you only blinked once every 72 hours.

kobyz
10-04-2015, 05:24 AM
post the kawhi post ups

TheGreatYacht
10-04-2015, 06:20 AM

Jabari Young always with the goods

BillMc
10-04-2015, 07:48 AM
It would be a wild guess. I dont think they cut anyone until preseason bc they really want to get a sense for what they need and that is hard with so many new guys playing they don't know. Give me your own wild guess.

I am guessing Deshaun Thomas, bc he might get a contract elsewhere and may not want to stick for the whole thing if he's not getting a sense that he's making this team. Truly a shot in the dark for me here lol :blah

Keifer after the first game, and Thomas after the 5th game.

You guys make interesting (if opposite) points. Thomas could be gone early as you say SAGirl almost as a favor so he has a chance to catch on with another team, or he could be the very last cut if he shows promise. But I'd be amazed if he actually makes the squad.

Jimmer, to me, seems like if he's going to be cut it will be early. It will probably be obvious to Pop rather quickly if his defense is just too weak, and his release too slow, for the NBA game. If he makes it past the third preseason game I bet he's got a good chance of sticking.

My prediction: Bonner is the final cut, as the team moves on and makes space for both Butler and Jimmer.

Of course, this is random speculation of the worst kind. :lol

playbonner15
10-04-2015, 08:39 AM
(https://twitter.com/spurs)

Release too slow / moves too slow. Dude should stick to his signature low percentage mid range shots

TheDoctor
10-04-2015, 11:19 AM
...My prediction: Bonner is the final cut, as the team moves on and makes space for both Butler and Jimmer. :lol

My body is ready...
https://media.giphy.com/media/e1LItd8fbfFza/giphy.gif

Release too slow / moves too slow. Dude should stick to his signature low percentage mid range shots

Yeah, let's cut him and playbonner instead.

ace3g
10-04-2015, 12:17 PM

.@D_West30 (https://twitter.com/D_West30) reflects on his first official week in Silver & Black. WATCH » http://gospu.rs/1PYmzxj (http://t.co/H1EwdfqoNJ)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQfTPTHVEAEkbUU.png
(https://twitter.com/spurs/status/650720931673837568/photo/1)

TheDoctor
10-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Poor DWest. He's been answering the same damned questions for a week now. F*cking weirdos.

.@D_West30 (https://twitter.com/D_West30) reflects on his first official week in Silver & Black. WATCH » http://gospu.rs/1PYmzxj (http://t.co/H1EwdfqoNJ)

ace3g
10-04-2015, 12:48 PM

.@DGreen_14 (https://twitter.com/DGreen_14) talks leadership and teaching at Day 5 of Training Camp. VIDEO » http://gospu.rs/1QSB0mJ (http://t.co/MjvZNC5ZQg)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQfaawrUEAEZ2uH.png
(https://twitter.com/spurs/status/650728825525940224/photo/1)

AFMadison
10-04-2015, 01:09 PM

I wonder what D West is talking about when referring to Parker. Parker's probably being hard on McCallum

SAGirl
10-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Jimmer, to me, seems like if he's going to be cut it will be early. It will probably be obvious to Pop rather quickly if his defense is just too weak, and his release too slow, for the NBA game. If he makes it past the third preseason game I bet he's got a good chance of sticking.

My prediction: Bonner is the final cut, as the team moves on and makes space for both Butler and Jimmer.

Yup but this thread calls for random speculation. That is what makes it fun. :lmao

You make an interesting point though about Jimmer. They indeed must know what they want to see him do well, and for basketball experts like them, they will probably get a grasp early. I have seen Bonner as redundant for a while now. His spot is the one that you can spare if you must spare it and he knows it, bc of the partial guarantee. Playing lineups of Bonner/Diaw and/or Bonner/West would be just horrible for the bench when someone is injured or resting. If we are not going to have real rim protection on the bench, I say scratch the plan for the bench, play Slo-Mo as the 4, and go all SSoL Suns. Grab a rebound push the ball, and bring some explosive scoring. The bench will look different this year with Slo-Mo, a healthy Patty, and Simmons.

Dex
10-05-2015, 10:49 AM
You guys make interesting (if opposite) points. Thomas could be gone early as you say SAGirl almost as a favor so he has a chance to catch on with another team, or he could be the very last cut if he shows promise. But I'd be amazed if he actually makes the squad.

I'd be highly surprised if Bonner got cut. Even if it makes sense from Xs and Os standpoint, Bonner has been such a large part of the Spurs culture the past 8 years that I sincerely doubt the coaching staff would have brought him back just to cut him in camp.

I see his role being greatly diminished this season (which does make keeping him on the bench questionable to begin with), but he's too highly respected by the coaches and players to be lumped together with the Butlers, Jimmers, and Thomas's.

SpursFan86
10-05-2015, 10:54 AM
I'd be absolutely shocked if Bonner gets cut. I imagine he'll have the same role as he did last year (~10 mpg in the RS, hardly touched the court in the playoffs), maybe slightly fewer minutes depending on how Boban turns out.

Chinook
10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
I only see Bonner getting cut if Thomas outplays him. The team needs six bigs with four guys (five counting Bonner) over 30 and with the only exception having foot problems. I guess if Ndoye or Cady explode in the d-league, they could get called up for that spot, as small-ball can make up for the lack of a four but not an injury to a center.

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2015, 12:04 PM

.@DGreen_14 (https://twitter.com/DGreen_14) talks leadership and teaching at Day 5 of Training Camp. VIDEO » http://gospu.rs/1QSB0mJ (http://t.co/MjvZNC5ZQg)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQfaawrUEAEZ2uH.png
(https://twitter.com/spurs/status/650728825525940224/photo/1)

Here's more on what Danny references near the end of his interview -- the Spurs' meeting with Dr. John Carlos and their (apparently) mutual admiration:

http://www.thenation.com/article/the-vindication-of-dr-john-carlos/

Dverde
10-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I would take Simmons on this team over all the borderline players. Slasher who can play D.

SAGirl
10-05-2015, 01:10 PM
I wonder what D West is talking about when referring to Parker. Parker's probably being hard on McCallum

I wondered about what he meant too. The question is almost inaudible so it is difficult to understand the response. I am not sure if he was being asked about Ray or Aldridge. Could be he meant the bench team was having trouble dealing with Tony defensively, or Tony and Aldridge have their cues and chemistry to work on.

I also was interested by Danny making a comment that they don't know yet what lineups are going to look like, but the bench lineup had been kicking ass and that they had their chemistry down easy, before the starters. Very interesting stuff. I am thrilled for the bench, and can only guess that Manu and Patty have been shooting well and have their cues on time, which is good.

BillMc
10-05-2015, 02:05 PM
I wondered about what he meant too. The question is almost inaudible so it is difficult to understand the response. I am not sure if he was being asked about Ray or Aldridge. Could be he meant the bench team was having trouble dealing with Tony defensively, or Tony and Aldridge have their cues and chemistry to work on.

I also was interested by Danny making a comment that they don't know yet what lineups are going to look like, but the bench lineup had been kicking ass and that they had their chemistry down easy, before the starters. Very interesting stuff. I am thrilled for the bench, and can only guess that Manu and Patty have been shooting well and have their cues on time, which is good.

Yeah, I liked hearing how well the bench was coming along. This is especially good given the perception that we'd lost depth because of CoJo and Beli and Baynes all leaving. Hopefully that's a clue that KA is also coming along well.

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2015, 02:11 PM
I'd be highly surprised if Bonner got cut. Even if it makes sense from Xs and Os standpoint, Bonner has been such a large part of the Spurs culture the past 8 years that I sincerely doubt the coaching staff would have brought him back just to cut him in camp.

I see his role being greatly diminished this season (which does make keeping him on the bench questionable to begin with), but he's too highly respected by the coaches and players to be lumped together with the Butlers, Jimmers, and Thomas's.

Bonner wouldn't be cut, he'd probably be promoted to a more relevant role for the organization in the front office much like Ferry did. He took the classes needed to do so this past summer.

peacemaker885
10-05-2015, 03:52 PM
F*&in S*^t man. Watch the latest training camp video, Day 6, of Kawhi's interview. If his responses don't show he belongs to the Spurs, I don't know what will. He's like Pop getting frustrated with the questions and wants to pound some reporters. Just awesome.

SpursFan86
10-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Not sure how to embed videos from the Spurs site, but there are 2 new videos (KA and Kawhi) from Day 6 of training camp.

TheDoctor
10-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Not sure how to embed videos from the Spurs site, but there are 2 new videos (KA and Kawhi) from Day 6 of training camp.

You can embed the tweet too. Copy its #id and paste. Without the spaces!

[ tweet ] 651135907546861569 [ /tweet ]

ace3g
10-05-2015, 06:16 PM

ace3g
10-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Gladney to see you
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
I am worried about this team. I don't think our bench is that strong.

weeks
10-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Poor DWest. He's been answering the same damned questions for a week now. F*cking weirdos.

"have you guys bonded yet?"

wtf kind of random ass question man. was that jeff? that was jeff wasn't it? fucking stupid shit. it's only been a fucking week, they aren't having sleepovers and talking about boys yet

Dex
10-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Are you kidding?

Mills - Ginobili - Anderson - Diaw - West could probably contend for a playoff spot in the East.

TheGreatYacht
10-05-2015, 06:48 PM
KA has worked on his build :tu

weeks
10-05-2015, 06:55 PM
danny green: the second unit is strong, they've already got better chemistry than the starting group

Gladney to see you
10-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Are you kidding?

Mills - Ginobili - Anderson - Diaw - West could probably contend for a playoff spot in the East.

That is a fragile group IMO. Could be a paper tiger.

Gladney to see you
10-05-2015, 07:04 PM
danny green: the second unit is strong, they've already got better chemistry than the starting group

It is early...don't know how we can be consistent.

ElNono
10-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Just enjoy the ride... there's even end of the bench guys that are intriguing on this team, IMO (McCallum, KA, Simmons, Jimmer, Butler)

weeks
10-05-2015, 07:14 PM
It is early...don't know how we can be consistent.
cheer up dude
we've all got more questions than answers at this point. i'm concerned with how LMA is gonna work
the season could go down in flames

i'm still glad to hear the second unit seems to be clicking. west :hat

TheGreatYacht
10-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Shoutout to Jabari Young for asking Pop something about "The team goes as far as Parker takes them" :lol :tu

silverblackfan
10-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Anderson looks like he has added some muscle mass. That mid range tear drop seems like it will be pretty hard to stop, but who knows how effective it will be this year. He is long, but due to the slow release the ball might get slapped out of his hand.

SAGirl
10-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for sharing this. Love Kyle!!!! Really smart kid, and very likeable personality. On moves, that floater is looking to be deadly, particularly bc of how tall/long he is!
Kawhi being more aggressive!! I look forward to this. :cheer

I am really excited to watch them both. I really think that Kawhi will help Kyle out. Competing against each other, can only help him improve.

BillMc
10-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this. Love Kyle!!!! Really smart kid, and very likeable personality. On moves, that floater is looking to be deadly, particularly bc of how tall/long he is!

I am really excited to watch them both. I really think that Kawhi will help Kyle out. Competing against each other, can only help him improve.

Well said. Such very different small forwards but we could be set at that position for a decade if things pan out for KA and Kawhi continues to grow. :flag:

TheDoctor
10-05-2015, 07:38 PM
"have you guys bonded yet?"

wtf kind of random ass question man. was that jeff? that was jeff wasn't it? fucking stupid shit. it's only been a fucking week, they aren't having sleepovers and talking about boys yet

I get that you need to ask something in order to write about something. But they're asking some really weird questions. No wonder Pop like to roast reporters when asked stupid questions like the NBATV guy who asked about the beard. Pop made a joke out of it, but at first he was real mad.

Also the guy who asked Kawhi to do an "indubitably" like if he was some kind of trained parrot?

Kawhitstorm
10-06-2015, 03:48 AM
Anderson looks like he has added some muscle mass. That mid range tear drop seems like it will be pretty hard to stop, but who knows how effective it will be this year. He is long, but due to the slow release the ball might get slapped out of his hand.

His slow release actually throws the defense off & Kyle knows it thus is ready to draw a foul.

silverblackfan
10-06-2015, 07:52 AM
His slow release actually throws the defense off & Kyle knows it thus is ready to draw a foul.
I agree with you on this. Kyle has shown some pretty good knowledge of how to use his 'speed' to frustrate the opponent. I just worry about NBA caliber reflexes vs. his moves. Going to be a great season to find out.

Chinook
10-06-2015, 07:58 AM

When you have Anderson's standing reach, you get a shot that's incredibly hard to block from the front. That's especially true if you create space with a Dirk-like fadeaway. Sometimes he might get blocked, like how Danny blocked Durant's three in the 2014 WCF. But it's rare. And the fact that he seems comfortable shooting with guys in his face only helps limit his release issues.

TheDoctor
10-06-2015, 09:01 AM
...And the fact that he seems comfortable shooting with guys in his face only helps limit his release issues.

I noticed that too. Kyle seems very comfortable and hella confident shooting contested shots. Specially his floater.

BillMc
10-06-2015, 12:42 PM
For those of you with kids, here's a chance for your young one to learn from TP:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/6/9459987/sign-up-for-tony-parkers-parent-and-child-basketball-camp

BillMc
10-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Michael C. WrightESPN Staff Writer Have been noticing a little pocket on the back of the shirts the players wear under their jerseys. Those pockets contain heart monitors that all the players wear during workouts so the team can monitor their exertion.

ceperez
10-06-2015, 04:07 PM

I don't like the way he's practicing the floater. He should doing it like Parker. At full speed, unless that's full speed we are looking at!

BillMc
10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Day 7 Interviews.

Manu:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/06/1444157065250-Ginobili-10.6.15.mp4-43784

Danny:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/06/1444157433438-Green-10.6.15.mp4-43794

Pop:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/06/1444156343710-Coach-Pop-10.6.15.mp4-43762

beirmeistr
10-06-2015, 04:46 PM
I know Manu is kidding but he should start one or two games---- this could be his final season.

BillMc
10-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Interesting in today's interview Pop said that Simmons two most impressive traits were athleticism and passing. On the passing he said Simmons had a natural ability to see second and third options that coaches can't teach. Pop also implied he's likely to make the team. Already posted this but here's the link:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams...6.15.mp4-43762 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/06/1444156343710-Coach-Pop-10.6.15.mp4-43762)

It will be interesting to see how the Spurs use Simmons given these two abilities. Could he be a Westbrookian sort of guard?

Buddy Holly
10-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Interesting in today's interview Pop said that Simmons two most impressive traits were athleticism and passing. On the passing he said Simmons had a natural ability to see second and third options that coaches can't teach. Pop also implied he's likely to make the team. Already posted this but here's the link:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams...6.15.mp4-43762 (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/10/06/1444156343710-Coach-Pop-10.6.15.mp4-43762)

It will be interesting to see how the Spurs use Simmons given these two abilities. Could he be a Westbrookian sort of guard?

He was likely to join the team when he was given a guaranteed first year.

BillMc
10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
I know Manu is kidding but he should start one or two games---- this could be his final season.

Yeah that would be cool. :toast

What would be even cooler is if he played several more seasons!:flag:

SAGirl
10-06-2015, 05:17 PM
I don't like the way he's practicing the floater. He should doing it like Parker. At full speed, unless that's full speed we are looking at!
Kyle's game is to play under control, Tony's thing is speed, Kyle's is craftiness. He's not going to speed past anyone, even if he tried. That is not his game. His thing is making these with a guy right on his body pretty much or coming off a screen. It can be blocked by certain guys for sure, but you pretty much have to be a center to do that, and have superior length and size to him. If he has a center on him, there is a mismatch on someone else on the team and he should be just passing the ball.

Against most of the guys that would be guarding him, its pretty much an unguardable shot, and you might have more of a chance to foul him trying to jump up on that shot, than actually blocking it.

He made these floaters regularly in SL and Austin with a guy right on his body pretty much. You will see this shot several times here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXCc_2lWes&list=PLGCM_dm2Wql0f-S-4xYTxdI9k0rNMbeXR&index=13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su5MtYSOefI&list=LLtGHop829QNyWbrwyjn1E2w& index=101

Pretty much every game he played in D'league he hit at least one of these. there are plenty more. He'll be able to get that shot or pass out to someone else with a mismatch.

BatManu20
10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/33trq8g.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
As long as his defender doesn't get help, Kyle can get some space using that swinging gate drive followed by a jumper, step back or fadeaway.

I think his unconventionality might just throw bench defenders off enough where he can be decent.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2015, 05:28 PM
As long as his defender doesn't get help, Kyle can get some space using that swinging gate drive followed by a jumper, step back or fadeaway.

I think his unconventionality might just throw bench defenders off enough where he can be decent.

wildbill2u
10-06-2015, 05:33 PM
On Day 6 interview Pop said he didn't like to comment on the individual progress of players in camp because any criticism might be taken wrong and any praise might be interpreted as a sign that the player had made the team. However, on Day 7 recording, in response to a question, he mentioned one player as young and very athletic and an exception passer. He then elaborated on how he hadn't seen the player much in D league but noticed him during SL and practices for his passing, being able to see the court several moves ahead.

The question was off the mike, but from Pop's remarks, I took this to be Simmons. I always thought of Simmons as more of a SG, but it would be cool if he could work into a backup Pg.

(apologies to Bill Mc. I didn't see your post above--but we are on the same page.)

SAGirl
10-06-2015, 05:34 PM

Nice!!!!! Pretty excited that Pop is impressed by his passing. His athleticism stands out to anyone but the passing could be special. I think his ballhandling is weak, but it could improve. Really excited about him. I wonder if he was in that bench team that is kicking ass!! lol

BillMc
10-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Nice!!!!! Pretty excited that Pop is impressed by his passing. His athleticism stands out to anyone but the passing could be special. I think his ballhandling is weak, but it could improve. Really excited about him. I wonder if he was in that bench team that is kicking ass!! lol

Agree completely. If he can get his handles going, Simmons could be a major major asset to the team.

Don't know who was on this ass-be-kicking bench team, but its a very nice sign (given the turnover) that they are coming together so quickly. A lot of high IQ guys...Manu, Boris, David, KA, Patty... so that's surely helped. The one thing it needed was pure athleticism and Mr. Simmons is helping out in that regards.

TheDoctor
10-06-2015, 05:40 PM
This is the guy asking the weird questions about sleeping and eating habits in adition to routines and superstitions.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z357/GYR0MEISTER/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

Dex
10-06-2015, 05:47 PM
This is the guy asking the weird questions about sleeping and eating habits in adition to routines and superstitions.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z357/GYR0MEISTER/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

He's already said that he is writing an article on pre-game routines. Personally, I enjoy those type of articles and learning that type of stuff about the players, so I don't see why everyone is making a big stink about these questions.

SAGirl
10-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Agree completely. If he can get his handles going, Simmons could be a major major asset to the team.

Don't know who was on this ass-be-kicking bench team, but its a very nice sign (given the turnover) that they are coming together so quickly. A lot of high IQ guys...Manu, Boris, David, KA, Patty... so that's surely helped. The one thing it needed was pure athleticism and Mr. Simmons is helping out in that regards.
Yea, Kyle and Simmons have played together a whole lot and by all accounts KA and Patty played in pickup games a lot in September. Manu and Boris are so high IQ that they could pretty much play with any guys you put them within a practice or two. David West I don't know, but it seems like this group is coming along just fine. I am relieved that KA and Simmons have been looking so well. I have been saying since the summer, since before the training roster was complete that we would need young guys to come along and help this season.

No word on him being a shooter though (Simmons), Kyle is not one either. Its really down to Jimmer/Rasual for that last spot. Let the best shooter step forth!

TheDoctor
10-06-2015, 06:11 PM
He's already said that he is writing an article on pre-game routines. Personally, I enjoy those type of articles and learning that type of stuff about the players, so I don't see why everyone is making a big stink about these questions.

Glad you're enjoying it personally.

BillMc
10-06-2015, 06:14 PM
On Day 6 interview Pop said he didn't like to comment on the individual progress of players in camp because any criticism might be taken wrong and any praise might be interpreted as a sign that the player had made the team. However, on Day 7 recording, in response to a question, he mentioned one player as young and very athletic and an exception passer. He then elaborated on how he hadn't seen the player much in D league but noticed him during SL and practices for his passing, being able to see the court several moves ahead.

The question was off the mike, but from Pop's remarks, I took this to be Simmons. I always thought of Simmons as more of a SG, but it would be cool if he could work into a backup Pg.

(apologies to Bill Mc. I didn't see your post above--but we are on the same page.)

No problem man. Great minds think alike!:toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-06-2015, 07:48 PM
For the weird questions from the creeper, it could be a part of MySA's new weekly Spurs-related magazine. Not sure if it is exactly a magazine, but they have some kind of initiative for much more Spurs coverage than previous seasons.

ace3g
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM

ace3g
10-06-2015, 08:26 PM
https://igcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e35/12093735_879590518791385_1338194526_n.jpg

Kawhitstorm
10-06-2015, 08:39 PM

Wasn't Jabri Young covering the Blazers.......did they kick him out b/c of LMA?

k_nguyen93
10-06-2015, 10:24 PM
New Ray interview with Geoff Sheen:
http://www.ticket760.com/onair/the-show-w-geoff-sheen-50154/listen-ray-mccallum-thoughts-on-preseason-14009120/

He was with the Spurs when they wont he championship, moved to Portland last year to cover the Trailblazers last year, and just got hired back to SAEN. LMA probably got a bit creeped out when he saw him :lol. Jabari Young had a podcast on Soundcloud about the Spurs so hopefully he starts that back up and who knows maybe's he's the championship good luck charm.

KL2
10-06-2015, 11:18 PM
I think Simmons ultimately takes the backup spot, and I'm really hoping he does too. He is a really good passer and creator, he played like Harden/Manu in the summer league, very crafty.

Simms' skill set fills a huge need off the bench. He'll provide transition defense, perimeter defense, rebounding, shot blocking, slashing, shot creation, hustle plays that the Spurs will need. He can easily be Joseph's replacement, and has much better size at the position too.

The Spurs badly need his defense, there is no more Joseph to insert for spot up mins when Leonard/Green get in foul trouble, or for when Porker is getting destroyed by some no named PG like Rivers.

I also really like the defensive potential of Leonard-Simms-Green. They're all very versatile, you can have Leonard at the 4, Green at 3, Simms at 2 etc. whatever the situation calls for.

Simms' rebounding would compliment Leonard's, and Simm's shot blocking would compliment Green's. I can see these 3 locking teams down in transition, controlling the boards, and just creating havoc on the defensive end. 3 perimeter defenders 6'5 & up that are interchangeable, that size is no joke and most teams wouldn't be able to handle it.

TheDoctor
10-07-2015, 10:36 AM

He said SAEN made a counter offer with more dough ($) and he took it, obviously.

BillMc
10-07-2015, 06:51 PM
http://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cdc60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent.cdninstagram.com%2Fhpho tos-xaf1%2Ft51.2885-15%2Fs640x640%2Fsh0.08%2Fe35%2F12093670_9277087706 09770_1129931217_n.jpg&width=810

Ditty
10-08-2015, 01:46 AM
From my source sounds like Reggie Williams is doing very good in camp so far, and one of the coaches is really high on him that he has a great chance of making the team. Heard Simmons and Jimmer have been struggling, but Jimmer has stood out as a sore thumb so far. Butler has looked good. Sounds like the last roster spot will either be Simmons or Butlers. We will see how they look tomorrow.

playbonner15
10-08-2015, 03:56 AM
Heard Simmons is either thinking too hard or just cant keep up with the sets. Hope he shows the same moves he did in the summer league

Buddy Holly
10-08-2015, 04:37 AM
From my source sounds like Reggie Williams is doing very good in camp so far, and one of the coaches is really high on him that he has a great chance of making the team. Heard Simmons and Jimmer have been struggling, but Jimmer has stood out as a sore thumb so far. Butler has looked good. Sounds like the last roster spot will either be Simmons or Butlers. We will see how they look tomorrow.

Last spot isn't between Simmons and Butler. Simmons is an automatic addition to the roster by virtue of his fully guaranteed first year.

Kawhitstorm
10-08-2015, 05:28 AM

Reggie is a perfect PRACTICE player b/c he hustles & does the dirty work while going up against competition who are merely going through the motions on defense. He has nothing special to offer as a rotation player besides hustling. Jimmer on the other hand can't check anyone & is probably trying to do too much on offense to prove he is more than a shooter; I would also assume Simmons is playing too fast & turning the ball over w/ those Manu specials. Butler is a wily vet who know his job & won't try to do too much.

ceperez
10-08-2015, 06:03 AM

Oh no! Doesn't sound good... I would hate to see both Reggie Williams and Butler in the lineup over Simmons and the other guy.

Problem here are that Williams and Butler are vets so they've seen enough sets, yet I don't see their talent carrying over into a game.

Chinook
10-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Last spot isn't between Simmons and Butler. Simmons is an automatic addition to the roster by virtue of his fully guaranteed first year.

No. Simmons has the smallest guarantee out of the three partial guarantees, and the Spurs would most likely get out of his deal anyway if he gets cut since he'd probably get claimed. His contract will not protect him, but his upside probably will.

Gladney to see you
10-08-2015, 06:59 AM
This could all change 3 ways from Sunday by next week so we shall see.