PDA

View Full Version : duncan 6 or 7 more years?

ducks
08-07-2015, 10:21 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/07/boris-diaw-tim-duncan-has-six-or-seven-seasons-left-in-him/

UNT Eagles 2016
08-07-2015, 11:40 PM
He reasonably could for 10-15 minutes off the bench or as a starter (for symbolic reasons) and the first sub every game -- I have a greater feeling he's more interested in being with his kids as they get closer to adolescence and puberty.

dweaver99027
08-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Highly doubtful. Not only would he not want to play as long, but his game will probably fall off a cliff after one semi-serious injury.

k_nguyen93
08-08-2015, 12:00 AM
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVN5rHk7eIw

spursistan
08-08-2015, 05:22 AM
I think he can easily play 4 more years and still be impactful assuming no injuries derail him: 2016 (23-25 mins)/2017 (18-20 mins)/ 2018 (15-17 mins)/ 2019 (10-14 mins)..6/7 years is a stretch, IMO..

BillMc
08-08-2015, 07:00 AM
2020 do it Timmy!

Drom John
08-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Popovich will retire with Duncan.
Duncan will play till "the wheels fall off."
Popovich promised Aldridge that Popovich will coach for the rest of Popovich's contract.

To me, that means Duncan play for the rest of Popovich's contract.

TXstbobcat
08-08-2015, 12:33 PM
if he still loves it then he should play till the wheels fall off.

SilverSpur
08-08-2015, 01:20 PM
He will play the next two years and that's it. He will win back to back championships and retire on top.

hater
08-08-2015, 01:24 PM
It's a small miracle he's suiting up for next season..after 40 the human body starts breaking down at a high clip.

My prayers are he will be healthy this coming season

rmt
08-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Both Federer and Duncan are aging so gracefully - just goes to show when the fundamentals, basics, economy of movement are there - there's less stress on the joints, muscles, etc. - hope they both play until the wheels fall off. Duncan at 39 still contending for championships and Federer still #2 in the world at 34.

Kidd K
08-08-2015, 03:47 PM
This season or next season will be the last one I would guess. Manu's pretty much threatening retirement every year and talking about how he doesn't wanna come back. When you have that kind of mentality around you from a long-time friend, it's gonna be even harder for Duncan to stay around.

That said, team is stacked as fuck right now. He will prolly stay for next season as well I'd assume. Ofc there's always that "retire on top" possibility if we win. Then there's also the "fuck it let's try to repeat and go for 7" possibility too. :lol

Either way, I'm grateful he's stuck around so long. Timmy's more than earned my respect.

SuperCam
08-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Odds are 2 more years with no additional rings

Kikoluna
08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
4 years is realistic

Spurtacular
08-08-2015, 04:54 PM
I think he can easily play 4 more years and still be impactful assuming no injuries derail him: 2016 (23-25 mins)/2017 (18-20 mins)/ 2018 (15-17 mins)/ 2019 (10-14 mins)..6/7 years is a stretch, IMO..

If he limits his minutes that much, 6/7 years may not be a stretch. IMO, besides his desire, it would depend on how efficiently he could still get up and down the court.

Spurtacular
08-08-2015, 04:57 PM
This season or next season will be the last one I would guess. Manu's pretty much threatening retirement every year and talking about how he doesn't wanna come back. When you have that kind of mentality around you from a long-time friend, it's gonna be even harder for Duncan to stay around.

Manu signed for two more years. I believe he wants to be on this team for two more years. It's going to be up to his body though. After that, I think there's plausible scenarios in which Tim may want to continue.

SAGirl
08-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Being realistic, 2 more years. Its a year by year assessment for him. After 40, the body does start to decline at a faster rate. I could see him beyond 2 years in a smaller role than he has had up until now, but at a certain point, I think if he doesn't feel elite anymore it wont be worth it over pursuing other things in his life. He doesn't play to be good, he plays to be great.

BillMc
08-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Being realistic, 2 more years. Its a year by year assessment for him. After 40, the body does start to decline at a faster rate. I could see him beyond 2 years in a smaller role than he has had up until now, but at a certain point, I think if he doesn't feel elite anymore it wont be worth it over pursuing other things in his life. He doesn't play to be good, he plays to be great.

Good point. His children, as I understand it, are also a major fact. He wants to spend more time with them. I'd say 2 years is probably the max, though there is a good chance he reaches it.

Spurtacular
08-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Kareem played 'til he was 42. He kept his numbers respectable; but there was significant drop-off in his final two seasons.

Spurtacular
08-08-2015, 06:10 PM
IMO, TD thinks about reaching a Bill Russell stratosphere in terms of # of rings. That's a rarely talked about factor.

MVPCues
08-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Three tops. Two most likely.

daledondale
08-08-2015, 06:37 PM
This.

Cklbmk
08-08-2015, 07:21 PM
What would a finals MVP at age 45 do for Duncan

T_L_P
08-09-2015, 12:01 AM
IMO, TD thinks about reaching a Bill Russell stratosphere in terms of # of rings. That's a rarely talked about factor.

He wants to win because he loves winning and being part of a process; not because he might be compared to another great.

Duncan doesn't really care about individual glory tbh, which is the main reason why the Spurs have managed to build this team-first culture.

Wu36
08-09-2015, 12:07 AM
It's a small miracle he's suiting up for next season..after 40 the human body starts breaking down at a high clip.

My prayers are he will be healthy this coming season
Who told you that shit?

Spurtacular
08-09-2015, 03:20 AM
He wants to win because he loves winning and being part of a process; not because he might be compared to another great.

Duncan doesn't really care about individual glory tbh, which is the main reason why the Spurs have managed to build this team-first culture.

No, I"m not saying that Duncan isn't comfortable in his own skin or that he's the egomaniac that Kobe is about winning. But I'm saying that Duncan has lofty aspirations even if he doesn't talk about it much. He did in his interview with Bill Russell. I suggest you watch it.

dweaver99027
08-09-2015, 03:46 AM
TD ain't winning 11 rings total. He'll retire after his 6th, or 7th if we go b2b the next 2 years.

Spurtacular
08-09-2015, 04:17 AM
TD ain't winning 11 rings total. He'll retire after his 6th, or 7th if we go b2b the next 2 years.

I said stratosphere.... 7 or 8 is in the stratosphere.

And I honestly don't see Tim retiring if he thinks he can be a significant part of winning a championship. JMO; I could be wrong. I'm not in Tim's head.

dweaver99027
08-09-2015, 04:29 AM
Agreed. I'd bet it's over this year if we don't win, or over in 2017 if we win it next year, but that's just what I would do in his shoes. And 7 or 8 is still unrealistic , unless we threepeat.

skulls138
08-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Agreed. I'd bet it's over this year if we don't win, or over in 2017 if we win it next year, but that's just what I would do in his shoes. And 7 or 8 is still unrealistic , unless we threepeat.Stop putting limits on TD. Always wanting to retire people. If you were in his shoes he'd be retired already and we wouldn't have number 5 looking for number 6. He's constantly making fools out of you doubters. Please learn your lesson.

dweaver99027
08-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Stop putting limits on TD. Always wanting to retire people. If you were in his shoes he'd be retired already and we wouldn't have number 5 looking for number 6. He's constantly making fools out of you doubters. Please learn your lesson. Lolwhat? Putting limits on Tim? TD is doing his thing and we love him for it. Doubters my arse.

exstatic
08-09-2015, 04:48 PM

exstatic
08-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Manu signed for two more years. I believe he wants to be on this team for two more years. It's going to be up to his body though. After that, I think there's plausible scenarios in which Tim may want to continue.

Two years really means nothing in this scenario and contract. This could be a wink wink deal where the Spurs buy him out next summer at full price, in effect making it a one year, $5m contract, with half on next year's super cap. He could also opt out an re-sign at a higher price next year. Fans rarely understand what PATFO are doing with contracts.

dweaver99027
08-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Nothing's stopping the Spurs from employing Tim and Manu as 'part time scouts' or 'assistant vice deputy of basketball operations 3rd class' at a salary of 10 mil per after their retirement. I'm willing to bet they do, in fact. The only reason Tim and Manu did not sign vet min deals was to keep the NBPA from going bonkers.

Reck
08-09-2015, 05:20 PM
It's evident he's running on fumes now. But still very efficient.

2 years max but he'll retire after the next season.

Spurtacular
08-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Two years really means nothing in this scenario and contract. This could be a wink wink deal where the Spurs buy him out next summer at full price, in effect making it a one year, $5m contract, with half on next year's super cap. He could also opt out an re-sign at a higher price next year. Fans rarely understand what PATFO are doing with contracts.

Maybe, but what's the market value for a 38-year-old injury prone guard that plays under 20 minutes from a league wide p.o.v.?

DMC
08-09-2015, 09:06 PM
They'll have to run him off like they did David except David snuck back in and now leeches around off the Spurs' glory.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-10-2015, 01:29 AM
It's evident he's running on fumes now. But still very efficient.

2 years max but he'll retire after the next season.

Sorry but running on fumes isn't going 20 and 10 against the Clippers in the playoffs...

ThaBigFundamental21
08-10-2015, 01:30 AM
They'll have to run him off like they did David except David snuck back in and now leeches around off the Spurs' glory.

Wtf? Where's your blue font bruh?

Reck
08-10-2015, 02:17 AM
Sorry but running on fumes isn't going 20 and 10 against the Clippers in the playoffs...

My post went over your head I see.

He can put up big numbers but not on a night to night basis. His minutes are measured well my Pop. Duncan cant play 30 minutes every game. That's just not going to happen at his age. His fucked knees wouldn't take that kind of grind.

There is a reason why Pop always saves him for the playoffs.

Spurtacular
08-10-2015, 02:18 AM

I don't understand this one....perhaps, you know more than me on the matter.

MI21
08-10-2015, 03:03 AM
Two years, maximum.

:lol People thinking Tim Duncan will play NBA Basketball at age 46

Spurtacular
08-10-2015, 04:06 AM
Two years, maximum.

:lol People thinking Tim Duncan will play NBA Basketball at age 46

My joints and muscles cringe at the thought. But after Duncan's super human resurgence, who can blame them for thinking that....

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Watching Hakeem hit his little turnaround jumper from the free-throw line in the Africa game, and still move around pretty well in that game at age 52 albeit for just a couple of minutes out there, I started thinking about Duncan's game. With Tim's conditioning and style of play, and mastery of the fundamentals combined with his size and strength, he conceivably could keep playing for a long time to come if he wanted to...barring injury of course. I'd still put the over/under at two years, but I really want to take the over. Could you imagine 25 years in the NBA with the same team? That would be insane.

When I re-watched the playoffs recently from those first couple of years, post-Admiral, and watched the Nazr and Rasho at the 5 spot, and how overmatched they both seemed at times, I kept imagining David Robinson in there had his back allowed it, even for 15 minutes a game, and how much better the Spurs would have been in the playoffs with him. Tim brings so much to this team, it would be great to see him continue, even at 15-18 minutes a game at age 43 or 44 bringing that experience to a playoff roster. Not sure if Tim would consider that "wheels fallen off" time or not but it would be great to see.