PDA

View Full Version : Why can't conservatives do political satire?

Wildcat67
08-10-2015, 09:10 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/why-theres-no-conservative-jon-stewart/385480/

"Dannagal Young, an assistant professor of communications at the University of Delaware, was looking into the lack of conservative comedians when she noticed studies that found liberals and conservatives seemed to have different aesthetic tastes. Conservatives seemed to prefer stories with clear-cut endings. Liberals, on the other hand, had more tolerance for a story like public radio’s Serial (http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/12/why-serial-drives-some-people-crazy.html?mid=facebook_nymag), which ends with some uncertainty and ambiguity. Young began to wonder whether this might explain why liberals were attracted in greater numbers to TV shows that employ irony. Stephen Colbert, for example, may say that he’s looking forward to the sunny weather that global warming will bring, and the audience members know this isn’t what he really means. But they have to wonder: Is he making fun of the kind of conservative who would say something so egregious? Or is he making fun of arrogant liberals who think that conservatives hold such extreme views?

As Young noticed, this is a kind of ambiguity that liberals tend to find more satisfying and culturally familiar than conservatives do. In fact, a study out of Ohio State University found that a surprising number of conservatives who were shown Colbert clips were oblivious to the fact that he was joking." (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_04/017947.php)

boutons_deux
08-10-2015, 09:32 AM
"surprising number of conservatives who were shown Colbert clips were oblivious to the fact that he was joking." (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_04/017947.php)

:lol it's genetic. The Party of Stupid! :lol

pgardn
08-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I think there are people who are conservative who do not identify themselves as such and vice versa.

So self indentifying is flawed imo. I know people I would identify as conservative who love the humor of both. I think Dennis Miller is hilarious and those same people who I indentified as conservative think I am liberal. I think Rush Limbaugh is funny even if he is not trying to be.

BTW very good read, thanks.:tu

Blizzardwizard
08-10-2015, 09:51 AM
There's more Liberal political satire because it's easier to write. It's pretty easy to joke about actual Presidential candidates that believe that global warming isn't real.

boutons_deux
08-10-2015, 09:57 AM
"joke about actual Presidential candidates"

Colbert, Stewart ridiculed Repug and Dem politicians outside of Presidential campaigns. Satirizing the Repugs is like shooting Klowns in barrel.

VRWC-financed tea baggers and Christian Taliban (southern, rural, low-wage, low-info) Repugs, gerrymandered into safe seats and buttressed by voter suppression, have pulled the Repugs to the fringe, where their Klowns set the agenda, obstruct everything, run their Klown mouths rampantly, and show absolutely no interest in governing, since Useful Idiot St Ronnie told them that govt is the problem, to be drowned in a bathtub.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Conservatives do angry rants (real or faux) better for whatever reason. There are very few who can do real satire without being complete assholes. Apparently it's a fine line.

pgardn
08-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Conservatives do angry rants (real or faux) better for whatever reason. There are very few who can do real satire without being complete assholes. Apparently it's a fine line.

And this is why it's interesting.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2015, 10:15 AM
And this is why it's interesting.I mean when someone like Lawrence O'Donnell goes into an angry rant it just looks silly. Jon Stewart only did it a few times a year and he was actually angrily telling jokes.

Weird dynamic.

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 10:33 AM
The real problem, Frank Rich wrote about Miller, “is that his tone has become preachy. He too often seems a pundit first and a comic second.”

As opposed to Jon Stewart and Bill Maher? :lol

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Do people think Colbert is funny? I think Jon Stewart and Bill Maher are funny (even if a bit too snarky), but Colbert? Not so much.

Spurminator
08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Colbert >>>> Maher for my money. I'm not even sure Maher qualifies as a comedian anymore, he appeals far more to anger and self righteousness than to humor.

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 11:05 AM
What's funny about Colbert? It's a character bit that just repeated over and over.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2015, 11:10 AM
What's funny about Colbert? It's a character bit that just repeated over and over.I was amazed at how long he pulled it off. That's what separated it from The Daily Show; a different way of saying basically the same things.

Spurminator
08-10-2015, 11:14 AM
You forget it's a character after a while. The segments, the writing, the improvisation were all top class. I didn't like it as much as TDS because I thought he went for low-hanging fruit too much of the time, but he was able to pull off the character while still maintaining some humanity and likability. He was never mean spirited, and never approached Bill Maher levels of haughtiness.

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 11:15 AM
I was amazed at how long he pulled it off. That's what separated it from The Daily Show; a different way of saying basically the same things.

I don't know who real Colbert is, because I've never seen him out of character.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2015, 11:19 AM
http://thatsthejoke.net/thatsthejoke.jpg

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 11:27 AM
http://youtu.be/KU84iMESj7c

boutons_deux
08-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Stephen COAL BEAR was a fiction, mocking the rigthwingnuts, not the real Stephen Colbert. Hilarious that you think it was the real SC. Typical rightwingnuts totally lacking in sophistication, nuance, smarts.

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Stephen COAL BEAR was a fiction, mocking the rigthwingnuts, not the real Stephen Colbert. Hilarious that you think it was the real SC. Typical rightwingnuts totally lacking in sophistication, nuance, smarts.

Uh, did you take an extra retard pill today?

Spurminator
08-10-2015, 11:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg?fb

spurraider21
08-10-2015, 12:00 PM
john oliver > colbert

was never a fan of SC. always liked stewart though

pgardn
08-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Maher sucks IMO.

Dennis Miller used to be one of my favorites.

Clipper Nation
08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Doug Stanhope begs to differ. Unfortunately, FOX is too busy convincing themselves that Greg Gutfeld is anything other than an unfunny hack to notice.

DMX7
08-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Maher sucks IMO.

That's because you're a republican.

pgardn
08-10-2015, 12:56 PM

I am?

DMX7
08-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I am?

Bill is liberal on most issues and libertarian on some.

Miller is hardcore conservative. Don't tell me you just think Miller is more witty. The only way anyone would think Miller is a "favorite" while bill "sucks" is if they are a republican (or at least a conservative if they want to pretend they aren't a member of a political party).

DarrinS
08-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Bill is libertarian? :lmao

Maybe on legalizing pot

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Rush Limbaugh does satire all the time and liberals don't get it that he is just yanking their chain.

boutons_deux
08-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Rush Limbaugh does satire all the time and liberals don't get it that he is just yanking their chain.

nope, he's frankly sincere in the garbage he spews.

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
nope, he's frankly sincere in the garbage he spews.

And there is the proof.

DMX7
08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Maybe on legalizing pot

Blizzardwizard
08-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Maybe on legalizing pot

Never understand why so many people say he's a libertarian. He's about as libertarian as I am.

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2015, 05:14 PM

Miller is hardcore conservative. Don't tell me you just think Miller is more witty. The only way anyone would think Miller is a "favorite" while bill "sucks" is if they are a republican (or at least a conservative if they want to pretend they aren't a member of a political party).

Stunning analysis. :facepalm

spurraider21
08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Maher sucks IMO.

I am?

:lmao DMX

:cry you disagree with me on something, you must be a republican meanie :cry

Spurminator
08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
I think they both suck. Used to like them both, I watched a lot of Maher's "Politically Incorrect" show on Comedy Central, and I'm one of the few people that actually liked Miller on MNF.

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I think they both suck. Used to like them both, I watched a lot of Maher's "Politically Incorrect" show on Comedy Central, and I'm one of the few people that actually liked Miller on MNF.

I always thought Miller on MNF was like buotons speaking at a 4H or FFA function.
Oil/Water.

Spurminator
08-10-2015, 05:44 PM
I always thought Miller on MNF was like buotons speaking at a 4H or FFA function.
Oil/Water.

I just thought he was a funny side bit. The harmless goofball who doesn't know much about sports but still joins you at the sports bar and makes you go "WTF?" with some of his comments.

pgardn
08-10-2015, 07:07 PM

So I have to like my comedy liberal or I am a conservative. I very much like John Stewart. So now where do I stand? Oh, I also like Colbert as I can take his stuff over and over again. He goes British silly IMO and I like that.

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2015, 08:52 PM
So I have to like my comedy liberal or I am a conservative. I very much like John Stewart. So now where do I stand? Oh, I also like Colbert as I can take his stuff over and over again. He goes British silly IMO and I like that.

Yeah, but you dont like him enough! You must be a conservative!!

Binary logic.....beats thinking.

DMX7
08-10-2015, 09:10 PM

Ok, what are you then?

Bill and Dennis are really polar opposite in most cases. I've never met anyone who thought Bill sucks and that Dennis is great... and is a democrat (or at least mostly liberal if they aren't going to affiliate with a party).

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Meet more people.

DMX7
08-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Meet more people.

You probably haven't met anyone like that either. :lol

Except your new internet friend. Gotta stand up for your internet friend! :cry

pgardn
08-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Ok, what are you then?

Bill and Dennis are really polar opposite in most cases. I've never met anyone who thought Bill sucks and that Dennis is great... and is a democrat (or at least mostly liberal if they aren't going to affiliate with a party).

I am told I am conservative by liberals and liberal by conservatives.
But this is in Texas. I voted for Obama first time round and Romney after. Even though I was not a big Romney fan.

So what am I? I don't know.

I will say I have never voted Republican for Governor of Texas.

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Actually, I know many people able to hold two opposing viewpoints and reconcile them. Its not hard..nor particularly unique. Odd that you haven't encountered this DMX....or not.

:facepalm

spurraider21
08-10-2015, 11:19 PM
But this is in Texas. I voted for Obama first time round and Romney after. Even though I was not a big Romney fan.

taste in satire is more important than your voting record

Aztecfan03
08-11-2015, 01:14 AM

please tell me you didn't vote for Wendy Davis.

z0sa
08-11-2015, 02:00 AM
Meet more people.

:lol

DarrinS
08-11-2015, 09:08 PM
http://thewilderness.me/end-of-days/