PDA

View Full Version : How dumb are Americans?

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
I had "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" on the TV yesterday and there was a contestant that had a B.A. degree. The question was something like this:

Fill in the blank with the correct word.
Molly and Susan left an hour ago.
________ going to the zoo.

a) their
b) there
c) they're

The guy thinks about it forever and actually say, "well I don't think I've ever seen "they're". I think it's "a".
Of course the 5th grader had the correct answer and saved him.

I don't know where it all ended up but how the fuck does a college graduate not get that?

baseline bum
08-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I had "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" on the TV yesterday and there was a contestant that had a B.A. degree. The question was something like this:

a) their
b) there
c) they're

The guy thinks about it forever and actually say, "well I don't think I've ever seen "they're". I think it's "a".

I don't know where it all ended up but how the fuck does a college graduate not get that?

Prob went to UTSA tbh

Avante
08-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Growing up there were a lot of used book stores around. I'd spent hours in them. Today there was one in town, and it went out of business about 6 months ago. People just don't read like they used to. Yep, the internet, all those electronics the reason.

By the time I was 16 I'd read all of Dickens, Fitzgerald and Steinbeck, we don't see that anymore.

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Growing up there were a lot of used book stores around. I'd spent hours in them. Today there was one in town, and it went out of business about 6 months ago. People just don't read like they used to. Yep, the internet, all those electronics the reason.

By the time I was 16 I'd read all of Dickens, Fitzgerald and Steinbeck, we don't see that anymore.

all that reading and no grasp of grammar, diction, spelling, or even a basic understanding of time
what a mess

Today there was one in town, and it went out of business about 6 months ago.

Blake
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
There are actually Americans that think evolution is something science made up to counter the Bible

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 04:02 PM
There are actually Americans that think evolution is something science made up to counter the Bible

I'll bet money right now that aliens were/are involved. If one makes that the basic assumption, both bible and evolution can be tied up together in in a neat understandable package.

Blake
08-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Too bad nobody intelligent here has seen aliens

Infinite_limit
08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Yaaaa it's pretty mind blowing. Most Americans are incapable of correctly speaking even 1 language

Probably too much emphasis on Sports. Because I cannot think of any other field of study that Americans excel in.

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Yaaaa it's pretty mind blowing. Most Americans are incapable of correctly speaking even 1 language

Probably too much emphasis on Sports. Because I cannot think of any other field of study that Americans excel in.

I just remembered one of his other questions. It was, "what is the plural of "sheep"?"
He used his peek to answer that one.

Blake
08-12-2015, 04:15 PM

But he got axed a hard question

Caltex2
08-12-2015, 04:28 PM

Thinking about/acting out sex and drinking come to mind.

a) their
b) there
c) they're

That's bad but just because you're a college grad, it doesn't mean that you're smart or that there are areas that you can't be stumped in. Most college grads are really good in their area of concentration but otherwise like the average person or worse in other areas. An exception is people who legitimately took and excelled in many liberal arts majors, which you didn't need college for anyways because those people are usually worldly and scholarly to begin with.

Oh no, not yet another "don't go to college rant." :blah

Avante
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
all that reading and no grasp of grammar, diction, spelling, or even a basic understanding of time
what a mess

Let me give it a shot....

With so many other things to do, reading appears to be the last on the list.

How'd I do?

Infinite_limit
08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
With so many other things to do

https://bmia.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/ferguson-rioters.jpg

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 05:26 PM
That's bad but just because you're a college grad, it doesn't mean that you're smart or that there are areas that you can't be stumped in. Most college grads are really good in their area of concentration but otherwise like the average person or worse in other areas. And exception is people who legitimately took and excelled in many liberal arts majors, which you didn't need college for anyways because those people are usually worldly and scholarly to begin with.

Oh no, not yet another "don't go to college rant." :blah

Not understanding the contraction, "they're" implies quite a bit of ignorance. No graduating college doesn't equate with being smart. But it does mean one has graduated from high school or the equivalent. As well as taken some tests in college. At some point, doesn't that word come up? And forget all that. Anyone who has read a few books or even magazines should understand the words, "they" and "are" and how you can squish them together. Not saying don't go to college. But for some, it's just a waste of time and money.

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Let me give it a shot....

With so many other things to do, reading appears to be the last on the list.

How'd I do?

"Today there was one in town that closed six months ago." - Avante

How'd you do? You got a 10/10 on the retard scale.

BD24
08-12-2015, 05:40 PM

a) their
b) there
c) they're

Let's judge all americans off of one dumb ass on a game show. That sounds logical.

SpursforSix
08-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Let's judge all americans off of one dumb ass on a game show. That sounds logical.

That's what I just did. Did you read the OP?

Avante
08-12-2015, 05:44 PM
"Today there was one in town that closed six months ago." - Avante

How'd you do? You got a 10/10 on the retard scale.

Why not actually go with what I typed? Let me guess lack of comprehension skills.

BD24
08-12-2015, 05:45 PM
That's what I just did. Did you read the OP?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

Avante
08-12-2015, 05:48 PM
I put knowledge over if you can diagram a sentence or not. Seen so many with big vocabularies and writing skills who didn't know shit.

Bender
08-12-2015, 06:37 PM
one day on Spurstalk will yield dozens of people that have no idea between there their they're

HarryLoLa
08-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Hatred,

Avante
08-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Who can tell me what these initials stand for?

ESPN
NFL
AAFL
WFL
MEAC
SWAC
CPSLO
CPP
USF
FSU
ACU
FAMU
TSU
USFL
UCSB
UCLA
WSU
ASU
BYU
VMI

BD24
08-13-2015, 05:20 AM

ESPN
NFL
AAFL
WFL
MEAC
SWAC
CPSLO
CPP
USF
FSU
ACU
FAMU
TSU
USFL
UCSB
UCLA
WSU
ASU
BYU
VMI
Avante is a Fuck Boy? Did I get it right.

Blake
08-13-2015, 09:20 AM

ESPN
NFL
AAFL
WFL
MEAC
SWAC
CPSLO
CPP
USF
FSU
ACU
FAMU
TSU
USFL
UCSB
UCLA
WSU
ASU
BYU
VMI

do you know what BMI stands for, old man?

hater
08-13-2015, 09:23 AM
It's a tv show. If they actually got intelligent ppl they would be boring

That being said the average American is as smart as a bag of used condoms

DMC
08-13-2015, 09:58 AM
https://bmia.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/ferguson-rioters.jpg
Whats funny about that pic is that no one in it got more than about 30 dollars worth of merchandise, yet they act like they are robbing Ft Knox.

DMC
08-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I put knowledge over if you can diagram a sentence or not. Seen so many with big vocabularies and writing skills who didn't know shit.
It's all the same thing. If you cannot illustrate knowledge then you don't really have it.

How can you have a big vocabulary without knowing it? How did you spend all that time reading and never pick up on proper grammar, diction, sentence structure, syntax? What are you?

Chinook
08-13-2015, 10:26 AM
What do you expect from someone who got a BA?

Anyway, that show is pretty misleading. It doesn't show how dumb people are; rather, it shows how little we use what we learn in school. That BA person probably knew the answer when they were in grammar school, but they lost it through disuse.

Kim Jong-il
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Beating the living fuck out of Europeans in World Wars, for starters.

SpursforSix
08-13-2015, 10:43 AM
What do you expect from someone who got a BA?

Anyway, that show is pretty misleading. It doesn't show how dumb people are; rather, it shows how little we use what we learn in school. That BA person probably knew the answer when they were in grammar school, but they lost it through disuse.

I expect that they would have least read enough books and/or magazines to have at least come across all three homonyms.
And it's not even a memory issue. It's a simple understanding of contractions. Even if you never say the word "they're", you should be able to figure that one out.
There's lots of shit that gets forgotten between elementary school and adult life. But if one of those things is use of simple contractions...then you are truly dumb.

Chinook
08-13-2015, 10:48 AM
I expect that they would have least read enough books and/or magazines to have at least come across all three homonyms.
And it's not even a memory issue. It's a simple understanding of contractions. Even if you never say the word "they're", you should be able to figure that one out.
There's lots of shit that gets forgotten between elementary school and adult life. But if one of those things is use of simple contractions...then you are truly dumb.

They understand contractions just fine in communication. The BA knew to look for the contraction of "they" and "are". But they were just not writing it that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see English evolve away from that spelling anyway. Too many letters. We're already seeing some of the longer words get cut out like "through".

SpursforSix
08-13-2015, 11:00 AM
They understand contractions just fine in communication. The BA knew to look for the contraction of "they" and "are". But they were just not writing it that way. I wouldn't be surprised to see English evolve away from that spelling anyway. Too many letters. We're already seeing some of the longer words get cut out like "through".

It doesn't matter anyway I guess. We'll soon have chips in our brains that keep us hooked up to Google and each other so no one will ever be wrong again.

apalisoc_9
08-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Damn. I started learning the English ABCs in 4th grade and I'd kill myself If answered that question incorrectly.

I never really understood why english had so many redudant shit and just in general way too many words.

Out of the 4 languages I understand, English has to be the most retarded.

Lucky for this language that the brits and the yanks have dominated the world in the last 100 years..otherwise, you'd all either be speaking Turk, Arabic, Italian or Greek if any of those once dominant empire didn't die out.

You'd have to put in more effort to be concise in the english language while it comes of just naturally with other languages..:lol

Infinite_limit
08-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Beating the living fuck out of Europeans in World Wars, for starters.
America hasn't direct fought a European nation since the Revolution (French help). You guys pick fights with Asians and Middle Easterners

SpursforSix
08-13-2015, 01:18 PM
America hasn't direct fought a European nation since the Revolution (French help). You guys pick fights with Asians and Middle Easterners

And the Spurs don't ever play Duke. Wonder why.

Infinite_limit
08-13-2015, 01:23 PM
And the Spurs don't ever play Duke. Wonder why.
Nooooo

Nazis would have steam rolled Japan in 8 weeks. No need to atomic bomb women & children

SpursforSix
08-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Nooooo

Nazis would have steam rolled Japan in 8 weeks. No need to atomic bomb women & children

oh well. they should have tried harder.

~O~
08-13-2015, 01:47 PM

ESPN
NFL
AAFL
WFL
MEAC
SWAC
CPSLO
CPP
USF
FSU
ACU
FAMU
TSU
USFL
UCSB
UCLA
WSU
ASU
BYU
VMI

Oh shit. The Rattlers? Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.