PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that swimming is a big reason for TD's longevity?

rmt
08-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Since he spent his childhood and teen years (up to high school?) in a weightless environment - unlike other players who have been pounding on the bball court - has the swimming background helped his body/longevity? Yes, it is a long time till training camp.

in2deep
08-12-2015, 12:56 PM
possibly. but it's more likely thanks to his work ethic, diet and abstination from party/alcohol/drugs. healthy mind = healthy body

Gladney to see you
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
He has a slow metabolism so he ages slower.

ceperez
08-12-2015, 02:00 PM
More likely because he doesn't jump that high, which results in:

(1) Less pounding on the joints.
(2) Let's him play almost same game as he did when younger.

TXstbobcat
08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
I think Timmy is part cyborg and because of this he will play forever.

T_L_P
08-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Timmy had this bounceback because he's put himself on one of the strictest diets/routines in the league.

Unlike Parker, who is getting himself back into shape by playing more basketball and exhausting the muscles he uses from November-April/June, Tim does anything but pick up a ball to keep himself in shape.

He swims and cycles which is a lot better for the body than running up and down a court. Other players should take notice.

Also helps that he has carved out a style of play that doesn't force him to rely on his athleticism. It's all about positioning and timing which hardly deteriorates as you age.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
He has a slow metabolism so he ages slower.
lol no,

I have eaten 3000+ calories a day average since age 13 and I'm 21 and I still look like I'm 16 (5'8" 120 pounds)

My mom ate like crazy in her 20s and 30s before she had me, she's almost 57 now and can still pass for 35 (5'3", about 140-150 pounds now but before she had me she weighed 105)

Next time do research before pulling shit out of your ass.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
lol no,

I have eaten 3000+ calories a day average since age 13 and I'm 21 and I still look like I'm 16 (5'8" 120 pounds)

My mom ate like crazy in her 20s and 30s before she had me, she's almost 57 now and can still pass for 35 (5'3", about 140-150 pounds now but before she had me she weighed 105)

Next time do research before pulling shit out of your ass.You seem very upset.

Blue Duck
08-12-2015, 03:42 PM
I don't understand why the slow metabolism comment offended you? I'm pretty sure it was meant as a joke. Are you defending people with fast metabolisms? Oh well, anyways, I absolutely think it's a huge part of the reason, as others have pointed out in this thread, year round basketball has got to be the worst thing you can do. Look at how it has effected Manu over the years. Tim Duncan's exercise routine gives him all of the benefits of intense cardio/weight bearing activity without the negative impact to the joints. Especially those rickety knees. I always felt bad for Yao Ming cuz I thought he was really, really good and could have had a much greater impact had he not been forced to play for his national team. A big guy like that would have benefitted greatly from a Duncanesque off season routine. Even the little guys that play international summer ball suffer the effects of this rigorous year round routine.

Gladney to see you
08-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I was just kidding.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't understand why the slow metabolism comment offended you? I'm pretty sure it was meant as a joke. Are you defending people with fast metabolisms? Oh well, anyways, I absolutely think it's a huge part of the reason, as others have pointed out in this thread, year round basketball has got to be the worst thing you can do. Look at how it has effected Manu over the years. Tim Duncan's exercise routine gives him all of the benefits of intense cardio/weight bearing activity without the negative impact to the joints. Especially those rickety knees. I always felt bad for Yao Ming cuz I thought he was really, really good and could have had a much greater impact had he not been forced to play for his national team. A big guy like that would have benefitted greatly from a Duncanesque off season routine. Even the little guys that play international summer ball suffer the effects of this rigorous year round routine.
It's fine, really. Some people are just upset that people like those in my family can eat like crazy, stay thin, look young, and live to be 95+.

SuperCam
08-12-2015, 04:04 PM
didn't help this nig, tbh

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qJ8DLOqXjFU/hqdefault.jpg

daledondale
08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Hell yeah, Cocoon Duncan
http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/cocoon--2/w448/cocoon--2.jpeg?1301738112

BillMc
08-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Swimming is a great way to keep in cardiovascular fitness while avoiding the pounding on the joints, so I'm sure it helps a lot now. Not sure if his earlier career in the pool helped much, other than, swimming is a discipline sport. And, as others have said on here, Tim is a very disciplined athlete. He may have learned that there.

Spurtacular
08-12-2015, 05:09 PM
lol no,

My guess would be that it has a lot to do with neither of you smoking and drinking. Start doing drugs if you want to look your age.

Spurtacular
08-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Has Timmy even been swimming in the last decade as part of a regimen? I know that it was something he did in college and that it was touted as something very early in his career.

cd98
08-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Tim swims in the offseason as part of his training to stay in shape. When you have bad knees like Tim does, any exercise you can do which doesn't pound on them is good.

Spurtacular
08-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Tim swims in the offseason as part of his training to stay in shape. When you have bad knees like Tim does, any exercise you can do which doesn't pound on them is good.

That makes sense. I just haven't seen it officially reported in a long while. I know about the kick boxing and dieting, etc.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2015, 06:23 PM
My guess would be that it has a lot to do with neither of you smoking and drinking. Start doing drugs if you want to look your age.
My mom actually didn't quit smoking until she got pregnant with me, but she never really drank alcohol. I don't smoke & only have gotten wasted twice in my life, 11/23/2013 and my 21st birthday. I haven't had alcohol since my birthday, either.

If you want to look older than your age, start doing meth and/or heroin. That shit really shortens your life, too.

Kikoluna
08-12-2015, 10:50 PM
lol no,

Lol, you are 21 It's so easy to stay fit at that age. Your metabolism is fast, I assumed you don't have kids or wife to stress you out and make you over eat.

The_Klaw
08-13-2015, 01:00 AM
Swimming is a great way to keep in cardiovascular fitness while avoiding the pounding on the joints, so I'm sure it helps a lot now. Not sure if his earlier career in the pool helped much, other than, swimming is a discipline sport. And, as others have said on here, Tim is a very disciplined athlete. He may have learned that there.

Agreed. The good-healthy habits are related to the context and environment in which young players have grown up, a sports program in early years give them the chance to learn and build confidence, discipline.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-13-2015, 05:45 AM
Lol, you are 21 It's so easy to stay fit at that age. Your metabolism is fast, I assumed you don't have kids or wife to stress you out and make you over eat.

21 so duh no kids, but I do want a wife. Being married is awesome, and I feel that today's generation of young adults have an unjustified negative view of love/marriage/commitment.

Gent
08-13-2015, 07:13 AM
No.

What he did in his teen years is irrelevant to his longevity now.

being in shape and keeping in shape takes dedication and hard work every day.

101A
08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
No.

What he did in his teen years is irrelevant to his longevity now.

being in shape and keeping in shape takes dedication and hard work every day.

If he still swims seriously and regularly, I think it could be relevant. Swimmers age slowly, from my experience. My neighbor is a 60 year old swimming professor (yes, they exist); dude looks 45, tops. It is, of course, staying in shape like you say; swimming just seems to be a great way to do it.

Holden_Caulfield
08-13-2015, 12:29 PM
fundamentals. doesnt rely heavily on athleticism.

maverick1948
08-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Look at Michael Phelps. He has been swimming since age 7. He just finished a swim meet in SA where he knocked down this years best times. He is now 30 and planning on the summer Olympics at 31. Swimming is good for working out for the average person. So I think Timmy did benefit from swimming while he was young.

101A
08-13-2015, 04:27 PM
He probably swims as part of his workout. Not just when he was young. If he stopped swimming two decades ago? No, it doesn't matter.