PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry finds it funny Warriors aren't title favorites, Draymond mentions Spurs

DenialTwist
08-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Original article with Curry is here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25268077/stephen-curry-says-its-funny-warriors-are-not-title-favorites

http://defpenradio.com/stephen-curry-finds-it-funny-that-the-warriors-arent-title-favorites/

Actually, Curry probably isn't aware that the Spurs aren't the favorites to win it all according to Bovada, the Cavaliers are.

Curry is probably referring to teams like the Spurs, Clippers, and Rockets who have all re-tooled:

We obviously are the champs, and you’ve got to think that we’re gonna be a better team next year with our experiences that we’ve had, and we’re not the favorites,” “Obviously there’s been a lot of noise, teams retooling and trying to boost their lineups. You have teams that haven’t set foot on the floor yet and are heavily favored to kick us off our throne.” “We obviously know what’s going on,” Curry said. “And it’s up to us to keep our momentum that we built.“

Draymond Green was interviewed on KNBR 680AM: http://www.knbr.com/2015/08/13/green-warriors-already-have-chip-on-shoulders/

We’re the defending champs and everybody is counting us out already after the moves the Spurs made.

jdiggy0424
08-14-2015, 02:08 PM
You can tell Draymond nervous about the Spurs just based off his comment.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
They would've have even won the championship had CLE not been hurt. 6 games to eliminate Dellavadova. Crofl.

SAGirl
08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
To me that just shows their competitive spirit. They consider themselves the best team in basketball, not being the favorites is kind of a motivation. If you think about it, the Spurs have not really been the favorite the past few years either. They are just classy and don't brag, or talk about it in a pompous fashion. The Warriors, on the other hand, love the attention. They really didn't win in a convincing fashion. They had a healthy and talented team and faced a host of injured and hobbled teams. Spurs really are their bugaboo.

SpursFan86
08-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Warriors think they should be favorites...how ridiculous :madrun :madrun :madrun

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Spurs living rent-free in Draymond and Kerr's heads, tbh..

dunkman
08-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Well, until some team takes them out, they are the favorites.

Sean Cagney
08-14-2015, 03:15 PM

Everyone seems to stay with the Spurs on their mind for some odd reason.

Spursmania
08-14-2015, 03:17 PM

DenialTwist
08-14-2015, 03:17 PM
To me that just shows their competitive spirit. They consider themselves the best team in basketball, not being the favorites is kind of a motivation. If you think about it, the Spurs have not really been the favorite the past few years either. They are just classy and don't brag, or talk about it in a pompous fashion. The Warriors, on the other hand, love the attention. They really didn't win in a convincing fashion. They had a healthy and talented team and faced a host of injured and hobbled teams. Spurs really are their bugaboo.

Yes. Steve Kerr is smart. He started the whole "spurs are the favorites" when he was interviewed at summer league in Vegas. By saying that, it puts less pressure on the Warriors to repeat, and gives them the underdog tag. But in reality, they are the favorites according to many nba analysts and vegas oddsmakers. They're young, they have the reigning MVP Curry, another splash brother in Thompson and most importantly they have the experience as a group to win it all again.

T_L_P
08-14-2015, 03:21 PM
They deserve to be favorites. They don't have nearly as many weaknesses as the Spurs (bottom tier rotation player and an unproven postseason performer).

RD2191
08-14-2015, 03:24 PM
They would've have even won the championship had CLE not been hurt. 6 games to eliminate Dellavadova. Crofl.
Tbh

SPURt
08-14-2015, 03:25 PM
The Warriors need to manufacture some reason to stay hungry. Luckily Tim never cried about being an underdog in the press. The Warriors were also the only healthy team left standing. Bogut is made of glass and not too long ago people were saying the same of Curry. Would Curry have taken a healthy Cavs team to six games minus Klay and Green? Doubtful. I think Lebron is gonna have more bulletin board material from this than the Spurs.

SuperCam
08-14-2015, 03:39 PM
CROFL at thinking their t*tle means they should be hailed as favorites for an actual title

DenialTwist
08-14-2015, 03:44 PM
They deserve to be favorites. They don't have nearly as many weaknesses as the Spurs (bottom tier rotation player and an unproven postseason performer).

Did you hear Charles Barkley on NBATV recently? He said the spurs weakness is their backcourt. He said they never upgraded. Although he did say Parker was still an "elite point guard."

Horry Hipcheck
08-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Did you hear Charles Barkley on NBATV recently? He said the spurs weakness is their backcourt. He said they never upgraded. Although he did say Parker was still an "elite point guard."

I'm of the belief that Charles Barkley had a stroke ten years ago and nobody has noticed yet.

daslicer
08-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I have said in another thread I can relate to how the warriors and their fans feel about being disrespected. I remember being pissed off in the summer of '03 when the Lakers were crowned the favorites by the media after adding Malone and Payton.

G-Dawgg
08-14-2015, 03:57 PM

He's absolutely terrified. He's going to have to be the guy who covers Aldridge when they play us...

Chris
08-14-2015, 04:17 PM
I liked it better when he was humble and didn't say anything.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Warriors were able to fly under the radar last season. It's gonna be a lot harder this year. They're feeling the pressure already.

SuperCam
08-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Alpha Iguodala will keep the team focused, just like he led them to a t*tle this year. Spursfan isn't getting off that easily

Poolboy5623
08-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Stephanie sounds a little scared. They could very easily repeat...IF all their opponents lose their starting pg(again), and the cavs lose half their team to injury...go warriors

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Tom Tolbert after interviewing Draymond Green for 21 minutes:

:bang

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Alpha Iguodala will keep the team focused, just like he led them to a t*tle this year. Spursfan isn't getting off that easily

There's a part of me that's happy for the splash brothers...

But I had to laugh at the fact that Kerr had to "sell" Iguodala on coming off the bench as if he's all that. Dude's best days are way behind him.

DenialTwist
08-14-2015, 05:11 PM

But I had to laugh at the fact that Kerr had to "sell" Iguodala on coming off the bench as if he's all that. Dude's best days are way behind him.

And guess what, this hasn't been talked about in the national media just yet but Warriors beat writer, Ethan Strauss has implied that there's some tension between Iggy and Barnes. At the recent players' awards, Iggy didn't thank Barnes, who replaced him in the starting lineup. He said they aren't the best of friends either.

Mikeanaro
08-14-2015, 05:17 PM
I liked it better when he was humble and didn't say anything.
Same here, after that alcohol drink dude went totally douche now he acts like Garnett.

TD 21
08-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Warriors think they should be favorites...how ridiculous :madrun :madrun :madrun

I don't know why you and a few others keep playing this game.

The Spurs have rarely been favored, whether they've been the reigning champions or not and in addition to age, it always came back to this: What happened last season doesn't necessarily foretell what will happen next season.

Yet the mighty Warriors, they of the one season of elite play and virtually unprecedented fortune, are above reproach apparently.

It's funny, less than a year ago most would have laughed at you if you'd have said the Warriors could beat the Spurs in a series. They go through a season of virtually unprecedented fortune, the Spurs don't, plus look worn down from three straight deep runs and all of a sudden it's damn near the opposite.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 05:36 PM
And guess what, this hasn't been talked about in the national media just yet but Warriors beat writer, Ethan Strauss has implied that there's some tension between Iggy and Barnes. At the recent players' awards, Iggy didn't thank Barnes, who replaced him in the starting lineup. He said they aren't the best of friends either.

This is fueled by Iggy winning the FMVP instead of Curry. Iggy now thinks he has a case to be a starter. Kerr knows he doesn't though.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 05:44 PM

The Spurs have rarely been favored, whether they've been the reigning champions or not and in addition to age, it always came back to this: What happened last season doesn't necessarily foretell what will happen next season.

Yet the mighty Warriors, they of the one season of elite play and virtually unprecedented fortune, are above reproach apparently.

It's funny, less than a year ago most would have laughed at you if you'd have said the Warriors could beat the Spurs in a series. They go through a season of virtually unprecedented fortune, the Spurs don't, plus look worn down from three straight deep runs and all of a sudden it's damn near the opposite.

Before the season started, I knew the Warriors would be trouble. They were young and they almost beat a better Spurs team in 2012. Their lack of experience is what prevented them from finishing a wounded Spurs. But with Bogut geting older, Lee prime to move, Iggy one year further from prime, etc. I felt like it was really gonna be their last best shot. I even kinda could see that fast start coming and the increase in three efficiency. But what I didn't foresee is getting a pass on the Spurs, Clippers, Thunders, a viable East team. The Warriors themselves have to know that it's gonna be incredibly more difficult to repeat. They're not truly a dominant team. They beat a league of teams that weren't suited for their fast regular season pace and barrage of threes. But teams will play them tougher and make them work that much harder night in and night out. They'll lose more games. They'll go into the postseason more worn down against more healthy teams; and they'll find that their lack of inside game is a liability when teams clamp down on the three looks.

spurs10
08-14-2015, 05:55 PM
They are just creating a little drama for themselves. They're are the champs....for now. :hat

Proxy
08-14-2015, 06:08 PM
It's funny... every year the Spurs won, there was plenty of talk about a new favorite. It's the nature of the league and media giving into the hype.

can't remember anyone in silver and black giving comments that sounded so insecure though. Who gives a shit what anyone says.

Solid D
08-14-2015, 06:15 PM

Yeah, the Finals' MVP's best days are just sooooo way behind him.

Solid D
08-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Dude's best days are way behind him.

Manu was in his prime coming off the bench. Havlicek was in his prime coming off the bench. It's rare to find a combination of a coach willing to stick a starter at 6th man for strategic purposes...matched with a player who is somewhat amenable to coming off the bench when they have a starter's abilities. Pop and Auerbach and Manu and Hondo were the exceptions. Iggy's game is definitely starter material, as was proven when Kerr changed the strategy in the Finals and it turned out to be the right strategy for the matchups.

SpursFan86
08-14-2015, 06:41 PM

No, last season doesn't necessarily foretell the upcoming season...but what logical reasons do you have for why GS won't be as good?

Last year they won 67 games and had one of the best point differentials of all-time. They brought back the same team minus David Lee and essentially replaced him with Jason Thompson. Their entire core is young and likely to improve. They'll have another year of experience + chemistry together. Kerr will no longer be a rookie coach and will have another year under his belt.

People here love bringing up all their luck in the playoffs, but you can only beat who's in front of you. They looked like one of the most dominant teams ever in the regular season, and then breezed through the playoffs as well. Sure, they went down early against Memphis/Cleveland, but then they went on to win 3 straight games in convincing fashion against both. They won games 4-6 against Memphis by a margin of 50 points, and won games 4-6 against Cleveland by a margin of 42 points.

I'm not saying it's some ridiculous opinion to not have them as favorites...but they're the safest pick aside from Cleveland, and that's just because of the conference disparity. And people here are really underselling what they did last season just because they played some injured teams in the playoffs.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Yeah, the Finals' MVP's best days are just sooooo way behind him.

Well then, I guess Iggy showed that he's in his prime still after all and that he should be a starter.

Kidd K
08-14-2015, 07:10 PM

Tbh I have never agreed with this logic. What happened last season has nothing to do with the next season. They should still be -a- favorite but having won the title does not automatically make you -the-favorite.

Ofc neither are the Spurs since no games have been played yet and we don't know how LA and DW are fitting in.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Manu was in his prime coming off the bench. Havlicek was in his prime coming off the bench. It's rare to find a combination of a coach willing to stick a starter at 6th man for strategic purposes...matched with a player who is somewhat amenable to coming off the bench when they have a starter's abilities. Pop and Auerbach and Manu and Hondo were the exceptions. Iggy's game is definitely starter material, as was proven when Kerr changed the strategy in the Finals and it turned out to be the right strategy for the matchups.

It's really not for the course of an NBA season. The Warriors starting line-up was much more potent with Barnes inserted into the starting line-up. I read an article on that a while back. The season before last, Iggy logged 32.6 mpg and still didn't hit double digits on his scoring average.

SAGirl
08-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Before the season started, I knew the Warriors would be trouble. They were young and they almost beat a better Spurs team in 2012. Their lack of experience is what prevented them from finishing a wounded Spurs. But with Bogut geting older, Lee prime to move, Iggy one year further from prime, etc. I felt like it was really gonna be their last best shot. I even kinda could see that fast start coming and the increase in three efficiency. But what I didn't foresee is getting a pass on the Spurs, Clippers, Thunders, a viable East team. The Warriors themselves have to know that it's gonna be incredibly more difficult to repeat. They're not truly a dominant team. They beat a league of teams that weren't suited for their fast regular season pace and barrage of threes. But teams will play them tougher and make them work that much harder night in and night out. They'll lose more games. They'll go into the postseason more worn down against more healthy teams; and they'll find that their lack of inside game is a liability when teams clamp down on the three looks.
And there is always this:
All it takes is for a significant injury for one of their key guys. I am not wishing an injury or anything like that don't misinterpret me. But injuries are part of basketball and many playoff teams were afflicted all through the season and unfortunately at the end of the season. All the teams you mentioned had such injuries. Clippers had Blake injured through the season, but they survived it. Rockets had a huge assortment of injuries TBH and while I am not a fan of that team at all, it made the case for Harden's MVP more compelling. Spurs, we all know about December 2014, and so on...
I dont think that the Warriors can go through an assortment of injuries like the Rockets did and have MVP Curry carry them by himself with a bunch of dudes TBH. If anything the Warriors best luck last year was that they were healthy all year and their minutes were well managed. The guys who got hurt, Lee and Bogut, they could play without and did. I am not discounting them though. It is always foolish to discount a potential tough rival, but I agree with your assessment, they are not so dominant as to be without question.

cd98
08-14-2015, 07:55 PM
This current Spurs roster hasn't done squat. GS are the champs and the title goes through them.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 07:58 PM
And there is always this:
All it takes is for a significant injury for one of their key guys. I am not wishing an injury or anything like that don't misinterpret me. But injuries are part of basketball and many playoff teams were afflicted all through the season and unfortunately at the end of the season. All the teams you mentioned had such injuries. Clippers had Blake injured through the season, but they survived it. Rockets had a huge assortment of injuries TBH and while I am not a fan of that team at all, it made the case for Harden's MVP more compelling. Spurs, we all know about December 2014, and so on...
I dont think that the Warriors can go through an assortment of injuries like the Rockets did and have MVP Curry carry them by himself with a bunch of dudes TBH. If anything the Warriors best luck last year was that they were healthy all year and their minutes were well managed. The guys who got hurt, Lee and Bogut, they could play without and did. I am not discounting them though. It is always foolish to discount a potential tough rival, but I agree with your assessment, they are not so dominant as to be without question.

Your case is strong. But I'm gonna at least partially disagree. I think arguably match-ups was the biggest luck for the Warriors. Imagine if the Warriors had to have played Westbrook fueled and experienced OKC, Memphis (at full strength or Clippers) and the Spurs and then a healthier Cleveland? What would their odd of success have been? Ten to twenty percent?

Even with HCA and against a relatively Splitter-less Spurs, the silver and black presented grave dangers to the Warriors. That series would have went six or seven with the Spurs having a great shot at winning it.

therealtruth
08-14-2015, 08:26 PM
This is fueled by Iggy winning the FMVP instead of Curry. Iggy now thinks he has a case to be a starter. Kerr knows he doesn't though.

Iggy not starting was never about him not being good enough to start. It was about getting HB to play better and having Iggy stabilize the bench unit.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Iggy not starting was never about him not being good enough to start. It was about getting HB to play better and having Iggy stabilize the bench unit.

Barnes is better at the defensive end and Iggy frankly isn't effective in starter's minutes over a season at this point. Yes, the bench gets an added punch for having Iggy. But moving Iggy out of the starting lineup almost irrespective of Barnes was a pretty obvious move. It's a move that had Mark Jackson made it, he might've saved his job and have a ring right now.

Now, Barnes did do much better in the starting lineup. But that's because he wasn't playing with the scrubs and wasn't trying to do things he shouldn't be trying.

therealtruth
08-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Barnes is better at the defensive end and Iggy frankly isn't effective in starter's minutes over a season at this point. Yes, the bench gets an added punch for having Iggy. But moving Iggy out of the starting lineup almost irrespective of Barnes was a pretty obvious move. It's a move that had Mark Jackson made it, he might've saved his job and have a ring right now.

Now, Barnes did do much better in the starting lineup. But that's because he wasn't playing with the scrubs and wasn't trying to do things he shouldn't be trying.

Iggy was by far the best defender against Lebron in the Finals.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Iggy was by far the best defender against Lebron in the Finals.

Really? Lebron scored 30 ppg in the three games Iggy was starting. Not saying that the switch didn't pay some dividends. But let's not hype Iggy's defensive impact. I do think Iggy can laterally move better than Barnes though. And when you play LBJ, that's needed. But Barnes does well enough vs. most threes and offers interior play that Iggy can't.

Solid D
08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
It's really not for the course of an NBA season. The Warriors starting line-up was much more potent with Barnes inserted into the starting line-up. I read an article on that a while back. The season before last, Iggy logged 32.6 mpg and still didn't hit double digits on his scoring average.

It's superficial to look at scoring average. His role isn't scoring at GS. You've got to look beyond that. His defensive abilities are what are needed on this Warriors team. He's only taking 6 or 7 shots per game at GS because they already have scoring. His FG percentage has been fine in his 2 seasons there - .480 ('13-14) and .466 ('14-15) compared with his career average of .461 (.4599 career prior to his 2 seasons in GS). He can still make shots. Just because he's played 11 seasons doesn't mean "Dude's best days are way behind him." He's an extremely versatile player. He's playing the role he is being asked to play. In the Finals, Iggy played at the 4 when Kerr went with a small starting 5. He was rewarded for overall play and defense by winning the MVP. He can start and excel and he can come off the bench and excel. I doubt LeBron James or Steve Kerr or Coach Pop would side with you in your opinion of Iggy.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 09:13 PM
It's superficial to look at scoring average. His role isn't scoring at GS. You've got to look beyond that. His defensive abilities are what are needed on this Warriors team. He's only taking 6 or 7 shots per game at GS because they already have scoring. His FG percentage has been fine in his 2 seasons there - .480 ('13-14) and .466 ('14-15) compared with his career average of .461 (.4599 career prior to his 2 seasons in GS). He can still make shots. Just because he's played 11 seasons doesn't mean "Dude's best days are way behind him." He's an extremely versatile player. He's playing the role he is being asked to play. In the Finals, Iggy played at the 4 when Kerr went with a small starting 5. He was rewarded for overall play and defense by winning the MVP. He can start and excel and he can come off the bench and excel. I doubt LeBron James or Steve Kerr or Coach Pop would side with you in your opinion of Iggy.

Yea, Iggy has good numbers still. I'm not debating that. But long before he joined GS, his numbers as a starter were significantly declining. Kerr would have been stupid to ignore that reality. Limiting his minutes is really what this was about. Playing him 27 minutes as opposed to 31 or more pays huge dividends. As a Spurs guy, Kerr knows this concept very well.

Solid D
08-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Yea, Iggy has good numbers still. I'm not debating that. But long before he joined GS, his numbers as a starter were significantly declining. Kerr would have been stupid to ignore that reality. Limiting his minutes is really what this was about. Playing him 27 minutes as opposed to 31 or more pays huge dividends. As a Spurs guy, Kerr knows this concept very well.

Judging from your other posts, plus this one, it seems like you're a bit conflicted there. Enjoy your evening. Go Spurs go!

YGWHI
08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
It's understandable. The Spurs are one of the favorites in Warriors mind, that should be a scary thought for a rival who already had a difficult time stopping us in last regular season.

Spurtacular
08-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Judging from your other posts, plus this one, it seems like you're a bit conflicted there. Enjoy your evening. Go Spurs go!

:lol Well, I wasn't perhaps fully clear or maybe slightly altered p.o.v.'s as I studied it more. But let me just say what I believe at this point:

* The Warriors on any given night could do as well with Iggy in the starting lineup as with Barnes. But doing it over the course of a season is disadvantageous for various reasons.
* Iggy does help the second unit as you say. But to my mind, this was more about Kerr realizing the need to reign in Iggy b/c he does worse in the thirty plus minute threshold; and psychologically speaking, I think Iggy thinks he needs to do more than he should when he's a starter. Even Iggy has said that he was taken aback by the move b/c he has a "starters vs. scrubs" mindset ingrained into his DNA.
* The move to the starting lineup allowed Barnes to play more to his strengths. He was trying to do too much as a bench guy. Whereas, a guy like Iggy likes more ball time; and playing with the bench guys allows more of that. And then when he is playing with the starters, he has more of an understanding that he is better off being more selective with his shots.

Horse
08-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Original article with Curry is here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25268077/stephen-curry-says-its-funny-warriors-are-not-title-favorites

http://defpenradio.com/stephen-curry-finds-it-funny-that-the-warriors-arent-title-favorites/

Actually, Curry probably isn't aware that the Spurs aren't the favorites to win it all according to Bovada, the Cavaliers are.

Curry is probably referring to teams like the Spurs, Clippers, and Rockets who have all re-tooled:

Draymond Green was interviewed on KNBR 680AM: http://www.knbr.com/2015/08/13/green-warriors-already-have-chip-on-shoulders/

He won't think it's funny when wingstop is waiting around every corner.

TD 21
08-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Trouble and beating the Spurs in a series are two different things. They almost had them down 0-2, but after that the Spurs controlled the next four games. It's funny, that along with the fact that the Spurs have owned them since, is always ignored, yet the Thunder "figuring the Spurs out" never was.

No, last season doesn't necessarily foretell the upcoming season...but what logical reasons do you have for why GS won't be as good?

Last year they won 67 games and had one of the best point differentials of all-time. They brought back the same team minus David Lee and essentially replaced him with Jason Thompson. Their entire core is young and likely to improve. They'll have another year of experience + chemistry together. Kerr will no longer be a rookie coach and will have another year under his belt.

People here love bringing up all their luck in the playoffs, but you can only beat who's in front of you. They looked like one of the most dominant teams ever in the regular season, and then breezed through the playoffs as well. Sure, they went down early against Memphis/Cleveland, but then they went on to win 3 straight games in convincing fashion against both. They won games 4-6 against Memphis by a margin of 50 points, and won games 4-6 against Cleveland by a margin of 42 points.

I'm not saying it's some ridiculous opinion to not have them as favorites...but they're the safest pick aside from Cleveland, and that's just because of the conference disparity. And people here are really underselling what they did last season just because they played some injured teams in the playoffs.

The most logical reason of all, is that they enjoyed virtually unprecedented luck. On top of that, the top of the West is better.

I'm not suggesting they should apologize for their luck, I'm just saying, it shouldn't be ignored or swept under the rug because it's popular opinion to anoint them as an all time great team. And it wasn't just "some injured teams" in the playoffs. Of their opponents: Holiday, Evans, Conley, Allen, Beverley, Motiejunas, Irving, Love, Varejao, were all either banged up or not playing altogether and considering the latter's injuries, they never had to face a fellow top five team in the playoffs. The fact that the skeleton Cavs were essentially a game away from mentally finishing them off showed how fraudulent they were.

Safest pick is one thing, but it's another to pretend that they should be put on a pedestal above teams like the Spurs, Cavs and Thunder.

bic50
08-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Now they know how spurs feel.

skulls138
08-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Anybody coming out of the east was going to be beaten by anybody coming out of the west. Just because the skeleton Cavs made a series out of it doesn't explain the lack of talent on the Warriors. The Cavs were playing with more emotion because of the unfairness of all the injuries. So I don't consider beating the Cavs as luck. The Griz are a different story, however the Griz should've been deeper.

BatManu20
08-15-2015, 07:14 PM

therealtruth
08-15-2015, 07:48 PM
I don't understand Cavs being favorites. I don't think anyone in the East will win for a while.

ceperez
08-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Warriors are just using this "disrespect" for the champs as motivation next season.

Of course, Warriors are without a doubt the most "disrespected" champion in a long while. A lot of people are of the opinion that they won agains hobbled teams.

skulls138
08-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Warriors are just using this "disrespect" for the champs as motivation next season.

Of course, Warriors are without a doubt the most "disrespected" champion in a long while. A lot of people are of the opinion that they won agains hobbled teams.Ain't it funny how the real most disrespected champions never cry about it, even after winning five.

-21-
08-15-2015, 10:36 PM
I don't understand Cavs being favorites. I don't think anyone in the East will win for a while.

No competition in the East makes the Cavs a lock for the Finals, which gives them slightly better odds than anyone in the West.

GSH
08-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Curry is still young, and doesn't understand that he's good enough to ignore shit that pandering sports writers say. His coach needs to remind him. He'll get a chance to prove if they should be the favorites or not. The rest is just a distraction.

Tbiggums47
08-16-2015, 06:19 AM

Nice insight! I agree completely.... I felt they were never tested throughout their run. That is really the question surrounding their title run. The weakness for their argument as being a favorite to repeat. I can't see it. IJS:nope

LoneStarState'sPride
08-16-2015, 10:57 AM
D. Green seems concerned about another D. Gr33n's squad, tbh.

AFBlue
08-16-2015, 11:54 AM
If the shoe was on the other foot there would be plenty of Spurs fans feeling "disrespected", and some players may use it as internal motivation. I don't see what the big deal is with the comments tbqh.

soxxx
08-16-2015, 12:33 PM
They are delusional, a healthy Cavs team or Thunder team beats them last season. They were one of the luckiest teams I have seen in regards to not playing teams at 100%.

ceperez
08-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Trouble and beating the Spurs in a series are two different things. They almost had them down 0-2, but after that the Spurs controlled the next four games. It's funny, that along with the fact that the Spurs have owned them since, is always ignored, yet the Thunder "figuring the Spurs out" never was.

The most logical reason of all, is that they enjoyed virtually unprecedented luck. On top of that, the top of the West is better.

I'm not suggesting they should apologize for their luck, I'm just saying, it shouldn't be ignored or swept under the rug because it's popular opinion to anoint them as an all time great team. And it wasn't just "some injured teams" in the playoffs. Of their opponents: Holiday, Evans, Conley, Allen, Beverley, Motiejunas, Irving, Love, Varejao, were all either banged up or not playing altogether and considering the latter's injuries, they never had to face a fellow top five team in the playoffs. The fact that the skeleton Cavs were essentially a game away from mentally finishing them off showed how fraudulent they were.

Safest pick is one thing, but it's another to pretend that they should be put on a pedestal above teams like the Spurs, Cavs and Thunder.

For the most recent championship, the Warriors had a walk in the park against an injured plagued Cavaliers team.

2014 Spurs beat a strong Miami team
2013 Miami survived the Spurs
2012 Miami played a strong Thunder team that included Harden
2011 Miami loses against Mavs, at team that got good at the right time
2010 Lakers survive a 7 game series against Boston
2009 Lakers beat a weak Magic team <------------------------
2008 Boston beat LA
2007 Spurs sweep Cavs <--------------------------------------
2006 Heat beat Mavs

So, to be honest the last time an eventual champion met a pushover was either in 2009 or 2007.

100%duncan
08-17-2015, 02:47 AM
No competition in the East makes the Cavs a lock for the Finals, which gives them slightly better odds than anyone in the West.

Disagree though, they are a lock for the finals but they will never win against a West team. (Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, even Rockets and OKC)

ceperez
08-17-2015, 05:21 AM
Disagree though, they are a lock for the finals but they will never win against a West team. (Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, even Rockets and OKC)

That's not how the bookies run the numbers. Let me give you the math. If Cavs are 100% to make it to the finals and 45% chance to win, then their odds are 45%. If Spurs have 70% chance to make it to finals and 55% chance to win, then the odds are 38%.

So the poster is spot on, the odds of anyone in the west winning the finals will be lower than the Cavs. It is not about which team is better, it is about odds or more technically probability.

Cklbmk
08-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Yes. Steve Kerr is smart. He started the whole "spurs are the favorites" when he was interviewed at summer league in Vegas. By saying that, it puts less pressure on the Warriors to repeat, and gives them the underdog tag. But in reality, they are the favorites according to many nba analysts and vegas oddsmakers. They're young, they have the reigning MVP Curry, another splash brother in Thompson and most importantly they have the experience as a group to win it all again.

If by many you mean 0.

Cavs are favorites for every odds maker simply due to the path

100%duncan
08-17-2015, 10:33 AM
That's not how the bookies run the numbers. Let me give you the math. If Cavs are 100% to make it to the finals and 45% chance to win, then their odds are 45%. If Spurs have 70% chance to make it to finals and 55% chance to win, then the odds are 38%.

So the poster is spot on, the odds of anyone in the west winning the finals will be lower than the Cavs. It is not about which team is better, it is about odds or more technically probability.

I know that but numbers are just numbers, when it comes down to team vs team Cavs wont beat any team that comes out of the west.

TD 21
08-17-2015, 06:02 PM
For the most recent championship, the Warriors had a walk in the park against an injured plagued Cavaliers team.

2014 Spurs beat a strong Miami team
2013 Miami survived the Spurs
2012 Miami played a strong Thunder team that included Harden
2011 Miami loses against Mavs, at team that got good at the right time
2010 Lakers survive a 7 game series against Boston
2009 Lakers beat a weak Magic team <------------------------
2008 Boston beat LA
2007 Spurs sweep Cavs <--------------------------------------
2006 Heat beat Mavs

So, to be honest the last time an eventual champion met a pushover was either in 2009 or 2007.

I was clearly talking about the entire season and particularly the playoffs.

cd98
08-17-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing if Diaw can school Green like he did a few years ago in the Playoffs.