PDA

View Full Version : Amin Elhassan and Ethan Strauss Discuss Duncan Vs. Kobe

BillMc
08-14-2015, 09:00 PM
They babel forever, but finally get to the subject at about 1:06:00 and really stay on it starting about 1:11:30

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=13412833

Amin by the way says Duncan could have taken less and we could have kept Splitter too. Not sure if even at the minimum if that was possible. Amin implies Duncan could not afford to take minimum because of financial losses from his divorce and the investment guy Duncan is suing.

That said, it's generally pro-Duncan.

AFMadison
08-14-2015, 09:27 PM
:bobo

Juts wondering, what is your profile picture?

travis2
08-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Youngsters nowadays...don't know the classics...:rolleyes

That's the interface panel for HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey

AFMadison
08-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Ah ok. Yea I'm not that old but I've seen the movie twice. I thought it looked familiar. Kubrick's top film imo. The Shining and Dr. Strangelove follow closely behind

Silver&Black
08-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Youngsters nowadays...don't know the classics...:rolleyes

That's the interface panel for HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...

BTW...great post as usual BillMc (my nigga).

baseline bum
08-14-2015, 11:00 PM
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30800000/Romney-Campaign-Logo-mitt-romney-30845358-400-177.png

:lmao :lmao :lmao

AFMadison
08-14-2015, 11:23 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Valid point. All those giggles with no info.

baseline bum
08-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Valid point. All those giggles with no info.

:lol gonna get us out of debt by lowering taxes :lol

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 01:23 AM

Can't even argue with a fool. Lowering taxes? Romney was all about same tax revenue but lower rates, and if you are smart you will understand that taxing higher does not mean a higher revenue. If you want to debate about this somewhere else I would be more than happy to. This is a basketball forum, but if you ever come at me with some dumb shit again I'll be happy to embarrass your ass somewhere else. Come at me with some facts, not some inaccurate one-liners.

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 01:25 AM
http://images.wildammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/14-henderson-bisping-gif.gif

baseline bum
08-15-2015, 01:40 AM
Can't even argue with a fool. Lowering taxes? Romney was all about same tax revenue but lower rates, and if you are smart you will understand that taxing higher does not mean a higher revenue. If you want to debate about this somewhere else I would be more than happy to. This is a basketball forum, but if you ever come at me with some dumb shit again I'll be happy to embarrass your ass somewhere else. Come at me with some facts, not some inaccurate one-liners.

Quit getting cunty when you put a retard political sig on a basketball forum son.

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 01:52 AM
Quit getting cunty when you put a retard political sig on a basketball forum son.

Yep, I stand corrected, zero facts, and uneducated one-liners. What's on my signature is whatever I want to put. If you open your mouth talking dumb shit I'm going to shut it, especially if it's directed at me. Simple as that.

:flag:

baseline bum
08-15-2015, 01:54 AM
Yep, I stand corrected, zero facts, and uneducated one-liners. What's on my signature is whatever I want to put. If you open your mouth talking dumb shit I'm going to shut it, especially if it's directed at me. Simple as that.

So you're one of those homo MMA fans too?

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 01:57 AM
So you're one of those homo MMA fans too?

I try to stay away from name calling, but I'm not the one who has the word "faggot" listed under my profile name.

Spurtacular
08-15-2015, 02:11 AM
Damn corporate affirmative action.

100%duncan
08-15-2015, 02:45 AM
Thread ruined. Thank you you 2 sonofabitches

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Not really.
But back to the podcast. What playoff games has Duncan sat out when the game was close and the Spurs won?

admiralsnackbar
08-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Not really.
But back to the podcast. What playoff games has Duncan sat out when the game was close and the Spurs won?

GSW game 6 in '13 (I think?) comes to mind.

DenialTwist
08-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Ethan Strauss is ridiculous. Tim Duncan taking a paycut for the Spurs does not equal = putting pressure on other players on other teams to take paycuts lol
Amin does make an interesting thought about Duncan not worrying so much about who gets all the credit for winning compared to Kobe.
For instance, I can't imaging Duncan wearing a shirt that says "Ringsssss"

unleashbaynes
08-15-2015, 08:44 AM

:lmao corporatism
:lmao just another fucking snake

unleashbaynes
08-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Ethan Strauss is ridiculous. Tim Duncan taking a paycut for the Spurs does not equal = putting pressure on other players on other teams to take paycuts lol
Amin does make an interesting thought about Duncan not worrying so much about who gets all the credit for winning compared to Kobe.

That's because Duncan isn't an insecure little bitch with no friends and a narcissistic personality

Harry Callahan
08-15-2015, 09:39 AM
They babel forever, but finally get to the subject at about 1:06:00 and really stay on it starting about 1:11:30

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=13412833

Amin by the way says Duncan could have taken less and we could have kept Splitter too. Not sure if even at the minimum if that was possible. Amin implies Duncan could not afford to take minimum because of financial losses from his divorce and the investment guy Duncan is suing.

That said, it's generally pro-Duncan.

I doubt that some fired Phoenix Sun front office wannabe knows Tim Duncan's personal financial situation. Does he have Timmy's personal balance sheet or income statement? No.

To Keep Splitter, LMA would have had to take less money as well as Manu where the money comes off the top on a guy with renounced rights (I think). I don't know if the Green and Leonard contracts would have any bearing on that.

T_L_P
08-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Of course. Duncan is the best basketball leader since Russell. Duncan does nothing but give credit to the others.

Kobe needs to win on his own terms, which is why he has struggled with every star he's played next to at some point in his career.

It's also why Duncan is still effective and playing on a winning team and Kobe is on a team that is waiting for him to retire before they can seriously start trying to compete again.

spursistan
08-15-2015, 10:03 AM
the dyad of el Hassan/Strauss is may be the most insufferable mainstream media NBA thing masquerading as some new age hipster bball thinking ..they are so transparent in their click-bait operation tbh, while being really annoying characters.

pgardn
08-15-2015, 10:21 AM

Hal: Dr Chandra, will I dream?

Dr. Chandra: I don't know.

Both movies had a number of interesting exchanges. Some of my favorites for any movie.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2015, 11:48 AM
So the TL;DL is that Duncan is selfish because he took 5 million in a discussion comparing him to a guy making 25 million.

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 11:53 AM
:lmao corporatism
:lmao just another fucking snake

Snakes that run the world.

Phenomanul
08-15-2015, 12:42 PM
So the TL;DL is that Duncan is selfish because he took 5 million in a discussion comparing him to a guy making 25 million.

This.

Their point is discredited simply because they fail to recognize that their financial criticism of Duncan is an argument that completely obliterates Kobe.

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 02:20 PM
This.

Their point is discredited simply because they fail to recognize that their financial criticism of Duncan is an argument that completely obliterates Kobe.

Yep, they also try to claim that Duncan could have taken less to keep more players. Also say that the reason Duncan agrees to take less money is because he doesn't care how he wins a championship. It's lie they realize who the better man is, but they have Kobe sitting next to them.

BillMc
08-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks! :toast Yes, it is the interface board of Hal 9000 from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. One of my favorite characters from one of my fave movies. You mentioned also Dr. Strangelove which is an absolute masterpiece. :bobo

Thanks, bro. :toast Hope they get those pod bay doors open:lol

Agreed. Kobe seeks glory. Tim just wants to beat you. If only you know and he knows he's won, Timmy's ok with that. It's creepily personal. There's something a bit serial killer-like in Timmy's stoic facade. (Um, that's meant as a compliment to Duncan, really....no matter how clumsy it came out.) After all, dude collects knives....:wow

That's because Duncan isn't an insecure little bitch with no friends and a narcissistic personality

+1000000000000000

To Keep Splitter, LMA would have had to take less money as well as Manu where the money comes off the top on a guy with renounced rights (I think). I don't know if the Green and Leonard contracts would have any bearing on that.

Yeah, Amin is just talking out of his ass. No way they could realistically keep Splitter and still sign LMA no matter Duncan's salary.

Of course. Duncan is the best basketball leader since Russell. Duncan does nothing but give credit to the others.

Kobe needs to win on his own terms, which is why he has struggled with every star he's played next to at some point in his career.

It's also why Duncan is still effective and playing on a winning team and Kobe is on a team that is waiting for him to retire before they can seriously start trying to compete again.

Amen, bro!:flag:

Hal: Dr Chandra, will I dream?

Dr. Chandra: I don't know.

Both movies had a number of interesting exchanges. Some of my favorites for any movie.

Your post made me realize it's been a looooooooooooong time since I'd seen 2010. Half way through it right now! :toast

This has been a wide ranging thread discussing Mitt Romney, Hal 9000, Tim Duncan (which of the 3 is the most robotic?), the evil that is Amin, Ethan and Kobe, and the pros and cons of MMA !:lol

Well done Spurs fans! Keep it coming. :lobt2:

Kidd K
08-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Their goal's never to get us out of debt. :lol It's always about lowering taxes on the rich for quick windfalls for them now before Democrats try fixing that joke of a tax code. The ofc they blame democrats for it later as they struggle to reverse the increasing damage.

Republican presidents (and presidential candidates) have been selfish piece of shit sellouts for multiple decades now. They're not useful anymore and no one who isn't rich as fuck should ever vote for them imo. Hopefully this changes because we have had some nice republican presidents. . .a long time ago. But I don't see it happening any time soon tbh.

baseline bum
08-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Their goal's never to get us out of debt. :lol It's always about lowering taxes on the rich for quick windfalls for them now before Democrats try fixing that joke of a tax code. The ofc they blame democrats for it later as they struggle to reverse the increasing damage.

Republican presidents (and presidential candidates) have been selfish piece of shit sellouts for multiple decades now. They're not useful anymore and no one who isn't rich as fuck should ever vote for them imo. Hopefully this changes because we have had some nice republican presidents. . .a long time ago. But I don't see it happening any time soon tbh.

We had a good Republican president 25 years ago in Bush I, but yeah, the party has been shit since the mid 90s. Fucking Gingrich and Frank Luntz turned them into the party of FUD.

AFMadison
08-15-2015, 05:02 PM

Selfish? Who earned that money again? Handing out money is not the key, you don't dip into other peoples investments to solve a federal issue. Raising the tax rate makes no effect on the federal revenue.
It's simple, if tax rates are higher, people make adjustments to avoid them by filing for different plans, not working as much, etc. To solve the issue you don't dive into other people's pockets. You start by cutting federal funding, you cut bills down, you don't boost the amount of income within the treasury.
This has nothing to do with which side a candidate is running for, it's about their plan for the future.
It's sad that the word "democratic" and "change" can get the people's vote.

baseline bum
08-15-2015, 05:39 PM
So much fail in your retarded trickle down horseshit.

jag
08-15-2015, 06:41 PM
:corn:

T_L_P
08-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Yep, they also try to claim that Duncan could have taken less to keep more players. Also say that the reason Duncan agrees to take less money is because he doesn't care how he wins a championship. It's lie they realize who the better man is, but they have Kobe sitting next to them.

Or Elhassan is just hating on Duncan because he shat on his overrated Suns (he worked for them back then) all day long.

T_L_P
08-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks! :toast Yes, it is the interface board of Hal 9000 from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. One of my favorite characters from one of my fave movies. You mentioned also Dr. Strangelove which is an absolute masterpiece. :bobo

Thanks, bro. :toast Hope they get those pod bay doors open:lol

Agreed. Kobe seeks glory. Tim just wants to beat you. If only you know and he knows he's won, Timmy's ok with that. It's creepily personal. There's something a bit serial killer-like in Timmy's stoic facade. (Um, that's meant as a compliment to Duncan, really....no matter how clumsy it came out.) After all, dude collects knives....:wow

+1000000000000000

Yeah, Amin is just talking out of his ass. No way they could realistically keep Splitter and still sign LMA no matter Duncan's salary.

Amen, bro!:flag:

Your post made me realize it's been a looooooooooooong time since I'd seen 2010. Half way through it right now! :toast

This has been a wide ranging thread discussing Mitt Romney, Hal 9000, Tim Duncan (which of the 3 is the most robotic?), the evil that is Amin, Ethan and Kobe, and the pros and cons of MMA !:lol

Well done Spurs fans! Keep it coming. :lobt2:

Always found it funny that the most human character in the film is the robot. :lol

BillMc
08-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Always found it funny that the most human character in the film is the robot. :lol

Yeah, :lol but that contrast made it great.

Kidd K
08-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Selfish? Who earned that money again? Handing out money is not the key, you don't dip into other peoples investments to solve a federal issue. Raising the tax rate makes no effect on the federal revenue.
It's simple, if tax rates are higher, people make adjustments to avoid them by filing for different plans, not working as much, etc. To solve the issue you don't dive into other people's pockets. You start by cutting federal funding, you cut bills down, you don't boost the amount of income within the treasury.
This has nothing to do with which side a candidate is running for, it's about their plan for the future.

"Earned" money by manufacturing shit overseas, yeah. I don't see why rich corporations who barely employ US citizens while enjoying operating in a country that allows them to easily make even more money should not pay for the privilege to do so.

This is essentially the problem. Those making massive amounts of money off this country and it's citizens think they should barely have to pay shit for the right to do it. I fucking disagree.

And yes you do solve probs by increasing tax rates on the richest people who make the most money. Lowest national debt are when they pay the most. Highest are when their rates are low. There is a direct correlation. Are there other issues like specific expenditures of questionable value? Of course, but they are minor in contrast to the huge problem that is the rich and/or their political puppets trying to convince the dim and impressionable to vote for them by harping on irrelevant shit while pretending like giving the rich tax breaks will mean they will be trustworthy philanthropists and put that money back into the American economy instead of half into their swiss bank accounts and the other half to expand their overseas operations or to put smaller businesses out of business.

You make billions off this country and the people in it, you pay for it via taxes. Period.

TheDoctor
08-16-2015, 01:04 AM

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=99670fd827&view=fimg&th=147242e7b7a0ab89&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ-ydQE_z9wPC7TGWDuMxv1iygl-vQ2B9sPkKrmLrpbXhjcgRnewU8BMOJkEVFy9SrOZooXp_7-6wi0NORsZHaOHI8VqiMFQl643IvBagk4C5GdFo6d0HVt2aEk&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1439704475095&rm=147242e7b7a0ab89&zw&atsh=1

AFMadison
08-16-2015, 01:07 AM
"Earned" money by manufacturing shit overseas, yeah. I don't see why rich corporations who barely employ US citizens while enjoying operating in a country that allows them to easily make even more money should not pay for the privilege to do so.

This is essentially the problem. Those making massive amounts of money off this country and it's citizens think they should barely have to pay shit for the right to do it. I fucking disagree.

And yes you do solve probs by increasing tax rates on the richest people who make the most money. Lowest national debt are when they pay the most. Highest are when their rates are low. There is a direct correlation. Are there other issues like specific expenditures of questionable value? Of course, but they are minor in contrast to the huge problem that is the rich and/or their political puppets trying to convince the dim and impressionable to vote for them by harping on irrelevant shit while pretending like giving the rich tax breaks will mean they will be trustworthy philanthropists and put that money back into the American economy instead of half into their swiss bank accounts and the other half to expand their overseas operations or to put smaller businesses out of business.

You make billions off this country and the people in it, you pay for it via taxes. Period.

Earned is earned my friend, doesn't matter how you earn it, and last I heard operating overseas is not illegal. The people in this country need more jobs, not handouts. Taxing a rich man who operates overseas doesn't create jobs.

Barely pay shit? Lol. Come on now, you're discrediting how much the rich pay but you're not worried about the people who DON'T want to work and also DON'T want to pay taxes. Really?

No you don't. Take a class, or hell do your own research. Higher rates don't solve anything. Through Obamacare, rates on wages, capital gain, and dividend income were raised. This is a short term solution for a long term problem. These higher rates discouraged the amount of work and employment which has resulted in an overall lower national income. THIS IS A FACT. People adjust to the rate. People switch their income to less-taxed forms, health insurance etc. (Things that benefit them and not the national revenue). Same can be said if the tax rates are lowered, people work more, adjust to the rate, but at least you're not going after the people. Do you really think that the tax on the people of this country is what got us into this debt? We're not getting out of it, but a start to diminishing would be to start from the inside out and cutting off unnecessary federal funding.

DenialTwist
08-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Deadspin always lists Ethan Strauss on their annual "Worst Sportswriter accounts" or "Worst accounts in Sports"

http://deadspin.com/the-worst-american-sportswriting-of-2014-1676839379

In 2014 they called out Strauss for saying that Duncan helped "buy the Spurs a few more title chances" and made a generalization about Duncan taking a paycut which would affect the other players.
Just like Strauss mentioned in this recent podcast, Strauss wrote an ESPN article implying that because Duncan took a paycut, other NBA stars are pressured to do the same by their organizations otherwise called ("pulling a duncan"). Deadspin found his statement ridiculous as well and said Strauss was building an NBA myth:

http://i.imgur.com/baKXJQIl.png

The_Klaw
08-17-2015, 08:39 AM
:tu