PDA

View Full Version : Make your best team using only spurs role players

ceds
08-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Just for fun make your best 12 man roster using only spurs role players.

PG: G Hill, Patty
SG: Green , Barry
SF Bowen, Jax
PF: Horry, Diaw
C : Rasho, Malik

- That starting 5 would probably be the best defensive team in the league although Hill is the only one who can put the ball in the basket.
- Offensively i cant imagine that team scoring more then 90. with almost no interior scoring threat Pop has no choice but space the court with shooters and hand the keys to Hill and Patty.
- would have one of the best bench in the league. i went with Barry over Finley because the ball movement with Diaw and Barry would be close to what we have now with Diaw/Manu

imo even with no all star talent this team could make the playoffs....well... ...in the East maybe even win a round .

If you swap Barry for Prime Manu they could win a title

exstatic
08-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Just for fun make your best 12 man roster using only spurs role players.

PG: G Hill, Patty
SG: Green , Barry
SF Bowen, Jax
PF: Horry, Diaw
C : Rasho, Malik

- That starting 5 would probably be the best defensive team in the league although Hill is the only one who can put the ball in the basket.
- Offensively i cant imagine that team scoring more then 90. with almost no interior scoring threat Pop has no choice but space the court with shooters and hand the keys to Hill and Patty.
- would have one of the best bench in the league. i went with Barry over Finley because the ball movement with Diaw and Barry would be close to what we have now with Diaw/Manu

imo even with no all star talent this team could make the playoffs....well... ...in the East maybe even win a round

Green and Bowen can both put the ball in the basket. They can't create, though. I'd switch Horry and Diaw, starting Boris to create with the ball. I'd also replace Malik with Will Perdue at backup C.

ceds
08-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Yeah starting Diaw does make more sense.

I totally forgot about Splitter....i would start him with Rasho as the backup .

Do you think this team could make the playoffs? win some rounds even?

hooperflash
08-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Matt Bonner gets no love :depressed

K...
08-16-2015, 12:14 PM
I'd consider splitter a starter. His lack of starts over the years was injury related. He's been starting center otherwise since 2013. Bobo was more a situational starter. Aaron Barnes was an expirament.

I too think green/ hill is too offensively challenged,.... Go hill mill. Then green and Neal on the bench.

Steve Kerr is probably a mandatory add whether you start him or make him bench pg

FkLA
08-16-2015, 12:26 PM
PG: Prime Enrique, GHill,Patty
SG: Green , Barry, Neal
SF SJax, Bowen, Finley
PF: Horry, Diaw, Malik
C : Splitter, Nazr, Rasho

TheGreatYacht
08-16-2015, 12:29 PM
PG: Mills, Hill, Claxton
SG: Green, Elie, Barry
SF: Jackson, 2014 Leonard, Fathead
PF: Rodman before dress, Diaw, Horry
C: Splitter, Oberto, Rasho

bic50
08-16-2015, 03:59 PM
SF SJax, Bowen, Finley
This, minus the prime enrique, parker wasn't a "role player" just like 2014 leonard wasn't a "role player".

AFBlue
08-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Are we to assume it's only role players in the Big 3 era? If so, here's my 12...

PG: Claxton, Mills
SG: D. Green, Hill, Finley
SF: S. Jackson, Bowen
PF: Diaw, Horry, Rose
C: Splitter, Oberto

apalisoc_9
08-16-2015, 08:04 PM
SF SJax, Bowen, Finley

Good team

SPURt
08-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Alvin Robertson, Patty Mills
Steve Smith, Vernon Maxwell
Larry Kenon, Dominique Wilkins
Terry Cummings, Dennis Rodman
Artis Gilmore, MyChal Thompson

Not sure if it's fair to include Larry Kenon

Kawhi 5-0
08-16-2015, 08:20 PM
The funny thing is that "role player" is considered an insult of sorts. It's not. It's precisely due to the Spurs having "roles" that they've had so much success. With that said, I'd still consider Kawhi and Green role players. Leonard might be pushing the envelope of greatest role player ever. At some point he either becomes superstar or he doesn't. Green is a very highly-paid role player (and a hell of a player). The main thing is the success of the team.
Timmy is now a role player (an amazing one).
It remains to be seen whether Aldridge can adapt and find his role here. He's a great player. I don't think Pop will give him any choice. He'll be all over him if he doesn't get with the system.

That said, my 12:

Mills, Joseph
Green, Neal
Leonard, Bowen
Diaw, Rose
Splitter, McDyess (sp?)

For some reason Diaw completely slipped my mind and I almost ended up with Samaki Walker somewhere in there.

Kawhi 5-0
08-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Great team! I like seeing Robertson and Maxwell mentioned, but my favorite is TC. That guy made such a difference here!

SPURt
08-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Great team! I like seeing Robertson and Maxwell mentioned, but my favorite is TC. That guy made such a difference here!
Terry Cummings was the first player to come to mind. I loved that Strickland, Willie, Sean, TC, Robinson starting five. I had high hopes for Willie Anderson too, but that didn't work out.

Mnky
08-16-2015, 08:33 PM
PG: Mills, Hill, Claxton
SG: Green, Elie, Barry
SF: Jackson, 2014 Leonard, Fathead
PF: Rodman before dress, Diaw, Horry
C: Splitter, Oberto, Rasho

Bruh... :lol

Kawhi 5-0
08-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Terry Cummings was the first player to come to mind. I loved that Strickland, Willie, Sean, TC, Robinson starting five. I had high hopes for Willie Anderson too, but that didn't work out.

I caught a game on NBA Network the other day where Willie was on the Knicks and he had to guard Jordan for a stretch against the Bulls. I guess I'd forgotten that he went to NY. Strickland was another good player, but I'll always remember him throwing an errant behind-the-back pass vs. Portland in the playoffs (at a crucial moment). BTW, nice Schintzius (sp?) avatar! That guy had an awesome mullet!!

ceds
08-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Was Alvin an all star?? If not good call on him and Cummings

Also Derek Anderson is another name that should probably be on the team

TheGreatYacht
08-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Bruh... :lol
Lmfao

timtonymanu
08-16-2015, 11:48 PM
SF SJax, Bowen, Finley

Solid list, my nigga.

SPURt
08-17-2015, 12:22 AM
I caught a game on NBA Network the other day where Willie was on the Knicks and he had to guard Jordan for a stretch against the Bulls. I guess I'd forgotten that he went to NY. Strickland was another good player, but I'll always remember him throwing an errant behind-the-back pass vs. Portland in the playoffs (at a crucial moment). BTW, nice Schintzius (sp?) avatar! That guy had an awesome mullet!!
Was Jordan killing him? I forgot he played for the Knicks too. I just remember he was taken from the Spurs in the expansion draft.

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-17-2015, 12:39 AM
:lol

Kawhi 5-0
08-17-2015, 01:51 AM
Was Jordan killing him? I forgot he played for the Knicks too. I just remember he was taken from the Spurs in the expansion draft.

The surprising thing was that he was hanging with Jordan pretty well. I didn't watch much. Who knows, Jordan may have turned it on after I stopped watching.

100%duncan
08-17-2015, 02:44 AM
I will not put what year or something because then Manu (year blank) when he was a key piece off the bench would kind of be like cheating imho so...

PG: Patty/ Ghill/ Kerr
SG: Green/ Sjax/ Neal/Ghill
SF:Bowen/ Elliott/Sjax
PF: Diaw/ Horry
C: Splitter/ Oberto/Nazr

Sean Cagney
08-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Are we to assume it's only role players in the Big 3 era? If so, here's my 12...

PG: Claxton, Mills
SG: D. Green, Hill, Finley
SF: S. Jackson, Bowen
PF: Diaw, Horry, Rose
C: Splitter, ObertoI will roll with this team here.

Sean Cagney
08-17-2015, 03:24 AM
Was Alvin an all star?? If not good call on him and Cummings

Also Derek Anderson is another name that should probably be on the team

Alvin a 4 time all star and Cummings was an all star as well as a great scorer in his prime... They are not role players imo and nor was Elliott in his prime.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-17-2015, 03:37 AM
2003 Admiral
2014 Duncan
2005 Bowen
2003 Manu
2014 Mills

AFBlue
08-17-2015, 03:44 AM
My second team starting unit, by popularity...

PG: Jimmer
SG: Malik Hairston
SF: James White (!)
PF: James Gist
C: Pops Mensah-Bosu

AFMadison
08-17-2015, 03:48 AM
2003 Admiral
2014 Duncan
2005 Bowen
2003 Manu
2014 Mills

Idk if they could all play 48mpg.

Kidd K
08-17-2015, 05:42 AM
Alvin a 4 time all star and Cummings was an all star as well as a great scorer in his prime... They are not role players imo and nor was Elliott in his prime.

Thank you. Going through some of these lists, it was weird as fuck seeing Cummings and Robertson mentioned as "role players". Elliott to. Even saw a "Dennis Rodman" mention.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Idk if they could all play 48mpg.

2003 Kevin Willis
2014 Boris Diaw
1999 Jerome Kersey
2014 Danny Green
2003 Speedy Claxton

Brazil
08-17-2015, 11:22 AM