PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Forecast: Spurs #2 in West, 57 wins

Uriel
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
According to ESPN's annual summer forecast, the Spurs will finish with a 57-25 record, good for the 2 seed in the West and #3 overall in the NBA (behind the Cavaliers and Warriors).

Personally, I think 57 wins is a tad low, but ESPN Forecast is only an average of various panelists' projections, so it makes sense that it doesn't veer off into extremes.

I disagree with the projection that we'll finish behind the Cavs, though. Even in the loaded Western conference, I think the Spurs will still finish the season as a top 2 team in the NBA. Maybe even top 1.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13431835/2015-summer-forecast-west-standings

TheGreatYacht
08-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Spurs #2 in the NBA, tbh.

#1 if everyone is healthy.

dabom
08-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Pop is going to win games even when he is trying to teach a team lesson. :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
yeah, we're going to need HCA over Cleveland if we want to win the championship. In terms of analytics, it's as simple as binary -- Spurs have won 100% of the time in the Finals with HCA, and 0% without.

BD24
08-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Happy to see the Lakers second to last in the west. Although I think they are doggin on the twolves. I think they will be better than expected. I mean I don't expect them to make the playoffs or anything, but I think they will be somewhere between 35-40 wins maybe.

SuperCam
08-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Spursfan better hope they get to 60+ if they want HCA past round 2. Maybe even past round 1.

Dex
08-18-2015, 04:51 PM
yeah, we're going to need HCA over Cleveland if we want to win the championship. In terms of analytics, it's as simple as binary -- Spurs have won 100% of the time in the Finals with HCA, and 0% without.

Fucking Game 6. :pctoss Ugh.

Dex
08-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Spursfan better hope they get to 60+ if they want HCA past round 2. Maybe even past round 1.

No way the Warriors win 60+ games again. They snuck up on the league last season and stayed remarkably healthy in terms of health...the chances of both of those things happening again are pretty much nil.

SuperCam
08-18-2015, 04:54 PM
No way the Warriors win 60+ games again. They snuck up on the league last season and stayed remarkably healthy in terms of health...the chances of both of those things happening again are pretty much nil.

Yes they will. They are the perfect reg season monster team. They have legit depth, the faggot brothers are young and don't care about resting for the long term while the vet laden teams take nights off, and they get to play the lakerz and kings 8x a season.

Robz4000
08-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Sounds about right to me tbh.

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
I love how ESPN hedged on the health of Durant and Westbrook and then did all their twitter disclaimers.

Dex
08-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Yes they will. They are the perfect reg season monster team. They have legit depth, the faggot brothers are young and don't care about resting for the long term while the vet laden teams take nights off, and they get to play the lakerz and kings 8x a season.

Hard to argue that point tbh.

:lmao Lakers

:lmao Suicide Kings

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Binary analytics :lol

Dex
08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I love how ESPN hedged on the health of Durant and Westbrook and then did all their twitter disclaimers.

Can you blame them? Chuckbrook plays like a rabid bat out of hell, and it remains to be seen whether the Durant will be able to regain his previous MVP form or will end up as the next DRose.

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Happy to see the Lakers second to last in the west. Although I think they are doggin on the twolves. I think they will be better than expected. I mean I don't expect them to make the playoffs or anything, but I think they will be somewhere between 35-40 wins maybe.

I believe the T-Wolves will finish better than the Nuggets, Lakers and Blazers. I think they'll likely finish better than the Suns and Kings. ESPN definitely underselling them.

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Can you blame them? Chuckbrook plays like a rabid bat out of hell, and it remains to be seen whether the Durant will be able to regain his previous MVP form or will end up as the next DRose.

I blame them for being p***ies about it. If they don't think OKC will return to their former glory, then just say so. The point of predictions is to predict and own it.

DeRozan m8
08-18-2015, 05:23 PM
No way Lakers don't finish last

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:34 PM
No way Lakers don't finish last

Depends on if Kobe has one more miracle comeback in him or not...

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Mavs finishing with the 8 spot ahead of the Jazz? I doubt that.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Binary analytics :lol

It's called the binomial distribution

the program would go:

binompdf(1,0/1,1) = 0.000000 (guaranteed loss in the Finals with no HCA)

&

binompdf(1,5/5,1) = 1.000000 (guaranteed win in the Finals with HCA)

Binary analytics, FTMFW.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM
I believe the T-Wolves will finish better than the Nuggets, Lakers and Blazers. I think they'll likely finish better than the Suns and Kings. ESPN definitely underselling them.

lol, can you name anyone on the Timberwolves who isn't too young and raw to compete in the NBA? They're at least a year away from even competing for a 35+ win season. I'll give them about 15-20 wins with a few odd home victories over contenders

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM

the program would go:

&

Binary analytics, FTMFW.

I have a rough understanding of binary codes. I was just laughing at the use of the metaphor; but not the actual metaphor. You could be right.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
I have a rough understanding of binary codes. I was just laughing at the use of the metaphor; but not the actual metaphor. You could be right.

The definition of "binary" in mathematics or logic has nothing to do with binary computer code. They only called it that because there were two options, zeroes and ones, and having two options for something is basically the true definition of "binary" so there you have it.

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 05:47 PM
lol, can you name anyone on the Timberwolves who isn't too young and raw to compete in the NBA? They're at least a year away from even competing for a 35+ win season. I'll give them about 15-20 wins with a few odd home victories over contenders

Rubio, Wiggins, Towns, Lavine, Pekovic is a good core. They were all athleticism and no discipline last year. But they're now a year in and should be competitive in more games. KG provides some veteran leadership as well. I think 35 is probably high for them. Somewhere between 22-32 is about right; so, maybe that won't be enough to pass the Kings and Suns. Could be close though.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Rubio, Wiggins, Towns, Lavine, Pekovic is a good core. They were all athleticism and no discipline last year. But they're now a year in and should be competitive in more games. KG provides some veteran leadership as well. I think 35 is probably high for them. Somewhere between 22-32 is about right; so, maybe that won't be enough to pass the Kings and Suns. Could be close though.

It's a very young, raw core. Rubio is a softer and slower Rondo, Wiggins is still too raw, Towns is a rookie, Lavine is an inefficient chucker, and Pekovic is a fairly decent center for this era of basketball. KG is an assistant coach at this point, and we don't know how Flip's body will react to the chemo just yet. Kings will be horrible, Suns will be near .500 but power forward is a huge question mark.

Silver&Black
08-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Portland and Sacramento picked above them....

TrainOfThought5
08-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I agree the Spurs need HCA to win the finals. I also lol at binary analytics.

SAGirl
08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Too early for the T-Wolves. The young guys are too young and still played poorly last year and going into SL. Timberpups need to mature a bit, learn to play together, and improve their team defense. The more mature guys in the Twolves have been real question marks in terms of health. I agree with you that they have a lot of potential, but its too soon. Possibly they make a leap and win more games if they have better defense. They need to make a leap like the Bucks in that department. I am not sure they make it this year.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 07:52 PM
I agree the Spurs need HCA to win the finals. I also lol at binary analytics.

Binary analytics >>>> whatever toilet model you're using, tbh... :stirpot:

Horse
08-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Spurs can definitely beat the cavs anywhere.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Too early for the T-Wolves. The young guys are too young and still played poorly last year and going into SL. Timberpups need to mature a bit, learn to play together, and improve their team defense. The more mature guys in the Twolves have been real question marks in terms of health. I agree with you that they have a lot of potential, but its too soon. Possibly they make a leap and win more games if they have better defense. They need to make a leap like the Bucks in that department. I am not sure they make it this year.
exactly this, Garnett and Prince are merely figureheads at this point and everyone else on the team that's good is young and raw. Needs a full season of losing (ala OKC) to learn how to win together

But they can definitely become the next OKC in time, with a better chance to win a title than OKC because they have a potential star big man in K-A-T. With Dieng, Levine, Rubio and Pekovic to complement the young star duo, it's only a matter of time. As long as everyone doesn't start demanding too much money, they'll be a contender within 3-4 years.

paperboy77
08-18-2015, 08:16 PM
57-59 for me sound about right. I think next year you won't see anyone win those 67 games GS had this year. I really think Pop will try to play the field... if they can stay within striking range of home-court then they'll push hard for it. If not he'll settle for playing good ball at the end. (This years schedule really bodes well as far as establishing their playoff identity.) I think the real goal this year for them is to build chemistry and once again be a dominant road team.

BD24
08-18-2015, 08:26 PM
I disagree. They should be quite a bit better than last year imo. Good young core of Lavine, Rubio(he is still only 24, shocked me), Towns, Dieng, and Wiggins. Then they have a few decent older guys in Kevin Martin and Pekovic. Muhammad finally started coming around last year and could be a decent role player imo, Payne should be a semi decent role player as well.

I think the Twolves are gonna surprise some people and will win between 35-40 games this year. People seem to forget Martin, Pekovic, and Rubio who were probably their 3 best players all missed a ton of time. Those three being healthy and the development of the young guys is worth another 20 or so wins in my book. Especially with them being in one of the worst divisions in the league.

Uriel
08-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Between a favorable schedule and unequivocally the most stacked roster in the NBA, the Spurs should easily reach 60 wins, assuming reasonable health.

BD24
08-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Between a favorable schedule and unequivocally the most stacked roster in the NBA, the Spurs should easily reach 60 wins, assuming reasonable health.
I agree. I think anywhere between 60-65 wins is about right. Hard to win anything more than 65 without a lot of things going your way.

Richie
08-18-2015, 08:56 PM
I think they're crazy if they think 41-41 is an 8 seed in the West. If that's the case then I could see the Timberwolves making it, but in reality the 8th seed will again need 48-50 wins. If the Thunder didn't have injuries, Dallas would again have been 8th seed with 50 wins.

Leetonidas
08-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Spurs will tie or beat their franchise record by 1 game imo, I'm calling 64-18

JR3
08-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Mavs finishing with the 8 spot ahead of the Jazz? I doubt that.
Agreed.

DeRozan m8
08-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Depends on if Kobe has one more miracle comeback in him or not...

LMAO the only thing Kobe is capable of is chucking them out of the season tbh
Such a fuckwit

Spurtacular
08-18-2015, 10:13 PM
LMAO the only thing Kobe is capable of is chucking them out of the season tbh
Such a fuckwit

I think you are assuming that I'm pro Kobe or any sort of a big fan. The company men can call games to the Lakers advantage just enough if Kobe holds up his end of the deal and does just enough like he did in 2013.

SuperCam
08-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Spurs can definitely beat the cavs anywhere.

Not in SA last season. Kyrie abused spurs like a rented mule :wow

gambit1990
08-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Spurs will tie or beat their franchise record by 1 game imo, I'm calling 64-18
agreed, i think they will beat their franchise record.

Spurtacular
08-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Switching gears to the east projections. Miami projected to finish 4th. Anyone for a Cavs-Heat second round series?

HemisfairArena
08-19-2015, 12:41 AM
If we win less than 60,,,,its a failure of a season,,,,

Spurtacular
08-19-2015, 01:18 AM
If we win less than 60,,,,its a failure of a season,,,,

Success/Failure based on the trophy.

Fireball
08-19-2015, 02:07 AM
I called 65 wins as best case scenario ... I will stick to it

aal04
08-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Health >>>>>>>> HCA

We win last year as 7th seed with Splitter/TP healthy. Fact

Fireball
08-19-2015, 03:52 AM
Health >>>>>>>> HCA

We win last year as 7th seed with Splitter/TP healthy. Fact Calling a what if scenario fact is kind of weird ...

exstatic
08-19-2015, 07:07 AM

That was a belll curve type of performance. He'll never shoot like that again.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
08-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Ha, the Spurs should easily top 60 games next season. They won 55 games with Kawhi and Parker missing around 20 games each and Mills, Beli and Splitter missing just as much.

If you just plug in LMA last season, the Spurs win 60 games easily. Add the fact that Spurs will be utilizing KA more, Mills will be healthy at the start of this season, Spurs got West to replace Baynes, Spurs just signed Simmons/Jimmer for depth and youth, and got McCallum, I don't think injuries would hurt the Spurs that much this season.

Spurs are the deepest team in the league with probably the best starting 5. I expect them to win at least 62 games + next season (this is factoring potential injuries). Spurs have some crazy depth this season.

buttsR4rebounding
08-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Barring significant injury I just don't see the Spurs doing worse than 62 wins. They won 56 last year with a squad that was really just worn out from their historical 3 year run to 5. In addition last year's club had at least 3 or 4 crazy losses. That combined with a much more favorable schedule this year should put the Spurs at least 62 wins, probably more. Unless this is the year that Father Time joins Tim's posse I think 64 wins is doable.

spursistan
08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
We got to 62 wins in 2013/2014 even with injuries sidelining our key cogs (Kawhi/Green/Gino/Parker/Splitter) in brutal Jan/February stretch along with great amount of Pop-half-tanked games for rest :lol Don't see why this team can't get there unless we lose one of Kawhi/TD/LMA/Green for 15+ games..Then it it becomes really hard in the West..

JWest596
08-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I seem to remember Pop doesn't being in the lead prior to the ASG and made All Star West coach. He wants the time off. The team might as well except those that make the ASG or other activities. All I know is that expectations are to the moon. It will all boil down to injuries as always.

NameLess Scrub
08-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Binary analytics >>>> whatever toilet model you're using, tbh... :stirpot:

Everything aside, I don't think a 1 point sample should tell us much. Specially when the Spurs should have won in '13.

1 more FT and we would be saying it doesn't matter as long as the Spurs are in the finals.

Horse
08-19-2015, 12:40 PM

That was one of the all-time luck chuck games and they still barely won in overtime.

Horse
08-19-2015, 12:44 PM
I think there will be less screwing around this season and if healthy they will build to an unbeatable crescendo come the finals just like '14.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Everything aside, I don't think a 1 point sample should tell us much. Specially when the Spurs should have won in '13.

1 more FT and we would be saying it doesn't matter as long as the Spurs are in the finals.
A fluke shot by Parker doesn't bounce the exact right way and the Heat likely close that series out in 6 if anything, it works both ways

NameLess Scrub
08-20-2015, 07:22 AM
A fluke shot by Parker doesn't bounce the exact right way and the Heat likely close that series out in 6 if anything, it works both ways

Agreed.

But what I mean is, they were good enough in the road to win that series. You could make the argument that game 7 at home is a necessity, of course.

But I always think Pop will sacrifice a couple of games for health. And if it comes down to a game or two again, they might end up behind the Cavs. That will always be a great factor as long as they continue to depend on the old big 3.

Ideally, they pull a '14 and get both rest and HCA.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-20-2015, 08:40 AM
That was one of the all-time luck chuck games and they still barely won in overtime.

This, Leonard fucked the pooch on those last 2 free throws in regulation and then Kyrie went unconscious from 3. I think the Cavs hit like 6 straight 3 pointers and still barely won.

Walter Donovan
08-20-2015, 10:39 AM

the program would go:

&

Binary analytics, FTMFW.

no

KaiRMD1
08-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Only way Warriors run roughshod on the league again is if everyone gets injured yet again

SuperCam
08-20-2015, 11:10 AM
This, Leonard fucked the pooch on those last 2 free throws in regulation and then Kyrie went unconscious from 3. I think the Cavs hit like 6 straight 3 pointers and still barely won.

Kyrie going 20-32:
:cry fluke shooting lucky bs doesn't count impossible to do again :cry

Bill Parker going 15-23 in the same game:
:downspin:Tony being tony again good to see him healthy for this one game just playing like his old self :downspin:

Spursfan :lol

Obstructed_View
08-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Portland and Sacramento picked above them....

I think they were picked here so the writers have an excuse to write about Kobe if the Lakers aren't the worst team in the west. Steve Nash somehow got two MVP trophies based on poor preseason predictions.

Horse
08-20-2015, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=SuperCam;8169514]Kyrie going 20-32:

:downspin:Tony being tony again good to see him healthy for this one game just playing like his old self :downspin:

Parker being more of his old self is a lot more likely than irving going for 57 again.

Obstructed_View
08-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Parker being more of his old self is a lot more likely than irving going for 57 again.
Kyrie hit seven threes in that game, almost all of them contested, without a miss. If there was ever a "just shake his hand" game, that was it.

SuperCam
08-20-2015, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=SuperCam;8169514]Kyrie going 20-32:

Oh yeah, 34 year old Bill going 65% on nearly twenty five shots is much more likely :lol :downspin:

ceperez
08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
The regular season will depend on how many games does Pop want to throw away.

Now given those games that he's throwing away (actually resting players), how many of those will the scrubs win?

BanditHiro
08-20-2015, 07:24 PM

nobody cared about winning against GSW last year. Now a bottom feeder's season would be made by beating the GSW.

phxspurfan
08-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Spurs easily #1 if everyone is healthy. Warriors were a fluke team that would get curbstomped in the playoffs by Clippers, Spurs and maybe even Grizz or Rockettes

Spurs 4 The Win
08-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Kyrie going 20-32:

Spursfan :lol

Lol, one is a career high with 100% 3 point shooting and the other was a great night, tell me which is more likely to happen again, stfu retard

Uriel
08-23-2015, 03:36 AM
I think the Cavaliers will win the #1 overall seed. Teams that come off a Finals loss usually come back hungry and motivated the following year (see: 2014 Spurs) and proceed to wreck the NBA. The #2 overall seed will likely come down to the Warriors and Spurs.

Biernutz
08-24-2015, 02:55 AM
The way ESPN is I'm surprised they don't have us behind G.S , Clippers and the Lakers. ESPN
hates us because we are a winning small market team.

Jimmy Early
08-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Not to mention that they question the health of Westbrook and Durant, but NOT Coby? No WAY the Fakers shouldn't be predicted to be butt naked LAST in the West.