PDA

View Full Version : where is the money coming from

RobinsontoDuncan
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
we are trying to sign scola, and Jako from europe (i dont know is whole name) we want to resign parker, we will have to re-sign Beno down the line plus that new kid from georgia, then if sato worksout and i think he will we want to resign him, how do we pull it off?

From Way Downtown
09-03-2004, 11:58 AM
I'll assume that you're talking about capspace when you say "money." Remember that teams can exceed the cap to resign their own players. So, Parker's deal has nothing to do with the cap, so the only concern there is being smart and trying to avoid the luxury tax. If Beno pans out, the same applies to him. Sato's a project, but if he pans out, the Spurs can exceed the cap to sign him as well.

With the "Euros", you're talking about cap exceptions. Scola will likely get the mid-level exception, and I think Javtokas is looking at something more like a rookie exception.

That's where you get the money.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Scola would come over with partial MLE money and Javtokas could be sighned with LLE money...if they do 2+1 contracts then they could all be resigned with bird rights like parker without affecting the cap if the Spurs chose to do so...

as Spurs fans after all these years of hoarding cap room we need to adjust our mindset...for years to come we will no longer have cap room but rather have the MLE and LLE available every year if the Spurs choose to use it...the "new" cap for the Spurs is now the lux tax number...and with the CBA set to be renegotiated next year that number could go up significantly...that could easily be the quid quo pro for the players association agreeing to shorter contract terms...say...4 year max instead of 7...

Alamo Spurs Fan
09-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I guess ol' man Holt will have to have a sale on these:

http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/07/07042000/caterpillar.jpg

RobinsontoDuncan
09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
do you think we can sign parker to a ginobiliesque deal without hitting the luxry tax?

KoriEllis
09-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes.

And there might be changes to the luxury tax situation next year in the new CBA. I am not really worried about the Spurs getting people signed.

Look for Tony's deal to get done within the next couple weeks.

Mark in Austin
09-04-2004, 12:54 PM

interesting... I thought this was a possibility, but this is the first I've heard about it in a while.

Without an extension for Parker the Spurs are already at $49.6 million in 06-07 and $48.8 million in 07-08.

They are either very confident that the tax will be raised, or are willing to risk paying a certain amount of tax if they get a deal done this year before negotiations on the new CBA happen.

RobinsontoDuncan
09-05-2004, 01:11 PM
how exactly do these early bird deals work, because somwhere along the line i got the impression that the team could sign a player to a huge contract and only have to report his old one against the cap, which would be sweet

timvp
09-05-2004, 08:07 PM

True.

1Parker1
09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't know. If I was Tony, I'd wait and become a free agent. PG's are hard to come by these days, and I'll bet a lot of teams would be willing to offer him big bucks, just because of his experience his youth and his quickness. But, if the Spurs are willing to offer him a max or whatever, then thats a different story. I mean, I can see why he'd want to get the deal over and done with, but its a great time I think for him to experience free and agency and see whats out there.

ducks
09-06-2004, 10:36 PM
the new cba wants 4 year deal no matter what
tony can get a 7 year deal now
also what happens if tony gets hurt?

if spurs are willing to give him a bibby type contract there is no reason not for him to hook up