PDA

View Full Version : Saints sell more than half available seats in San Antonio

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Saints sell more than half available seats in San Antonio

Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO - The New Orleans Saints sold about 50,000 of the 99,000 tickets they're offering for three games in the San Antonio Alamodome on Wednesday, the first day they were made available.

The Saints, displaced by Hurricane Katrina, are holding back approximately 32,000 tickets per game so season-ticket holders can have first dibs. While it may be difficult to reach them all, or for them to reach the club, the team will sell anything that's unclaimed 10 days before each game.

The Saints have not announced plans to give away or reduce ticket prices for Louisiana residents, many of whom are living in Texas, including thousands in the San Antonio area.

Roughly 33,000 seats per game were available Wednesday and fans began lining up by 4:30 a.m. for the 10 a.m. opening of the ticket window. Lines stretched an estimated quarter-mile as folks wanted to make sure they got tickets to the first NFL regular-season game in the Alamo City.

"We had high expectations, but we're still overwhelmed by how many people came out here," said Paul Corliss, Saints director of community relations.

Connie Kowal, the team's senior director of marketing and business development, was amazed that the club was even able to have such a concentrated effort considering how unsettled things remain around the franchise.

"Two weeks and two days ago we were hit by a hurricane - and we are selling tickets?" he said. As for chances of a sellout, he said, "We're hopeful."

Chip Haass, a San Antonio city councilman who was at the Alamodome, said phone lines at the stadium ticket office failed due to the heavy demand of people trying to buy tickets.

"The corporations here really haven't started to buy their blocks of tickets yet, so most of those tickets sold today were bought by your average Joe Fan," Haass said.

The team announced Monday it will play four home games in Baton Rouge, La., and three in San Antonio because of the extensive damage to their usual home, the Superdome. The Saints already are practicing in San Antonio.

Their first "home" game has been transferred to Giants Stadium. The Saints will meet the New York Giants at their place on Monday night.

The games in San Antonio will be Oct. 2 against Buffalo, Oct. 16 against Atlanta and Dec. 24 against Detroit.

Ticket brokers are advertising tickets for $40 to $300 per game, compared to face value of $30 to $125.

San Antonio city leaders are hoping the NFL will notice the response to the Saints and will consider the city in future decisions regarding location of franchises.

"The initial returns from today's ticket sales effort has been unbelievable and a testament to the passion of the area's NFL fans," San Antonio Mayor Phil Hardberger said in a release.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/12646184.htm

T Park
09-14-2005, 07:54 PM
but i thought SA couldnt buy seats!!!!?!?!?!

Kori Ellis
09-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Good job, San Antonio.

They probably would have sold more if they didn't have all those glitches on their computer system.

I wish they weren't waiting until 10 days before each game to sell the season ticket holders seats. But oh well, I guess they have to give them a chance to say yes or no to wanting them.

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
:depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

BigDaddyMatty
09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
i've got my tix...took me 40 minutes on the computer...but I got them...

timvp
09-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Everybody who cares about this cow town at all better buy Saints tickets. If the Dome is filled and rocking, the Saints might stay longer.

Do your part.

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Everybody who cares about this cow town at all better buy Saints tickets. If the Dome is filled and rocking, the Saints might stay longer.

Do your part.

I don't get to go. :depressed
so don't count me in.

Horry For 3!
09-14-2005, 08:25 PM

Do your part.
Already got my tickets to the Lions game. :tu I'll be a section across from you and Kori :smokin

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Already got my tickets to the Lions game. :tu I'll be a section across from you and Kori :smokin
somebody tell everything once ya'll get back k?

HB22inSA
09-14-2005, 08:44 PM

Do your part.
Tiger Stadium at LSU would be a much better venue in my opinion. And as far as noise level goes, LSU is insane. I had the pleasure of attending a game there a few years ago, and that place rocks!!! Loudest outdoor venue I've ever been to.

hussker
09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
I am very impressed with the outpouring but be real. The MO(fo) dome holds 65K, the FORMER Superdome, now known as Hell On Earth, held 88K. That is a heck of a lot of seats to make up for.

I applaud the citizens of SA. I myself am sitting in Section 121 on 16 October 2005.

I still stand by my earlier posts. SA cannot support an NFL team with the resources we have now, unless the prices are jacked up. Remember folks, we are only talking about three games, not a full season.

If we can support an NFL team I would certainly be behind it, but we are only getting a "pre-season's" worth view of what it means to support an NFL franchise. It is much more than supporting our Spurs.

For those of you who are not old enough to remember, the Spurs were not always good and were far from contenders, which is exactly what the Saints are now and always have been.

I remember the Hemisfair 3/4 empty and it was not for a WNBA game. It was for the Spurs. I remember the MO(fo) dome 1/2 empty (and for you critics, I mean the part that was on the side of the CURTAIN that housed basketball).

How will we
1) Support a mediocre franchise?
2) Be able to afford them with such a SMALL venue (unless we JACK up the prices)?

Just a few thoughts from a skeptical one.

GO SPURS GO!!!

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 08:57 PM
The Saints are undefeated ding dong.

Zombie
09-14-2005, 09:02 PM
I am very impressed with the outpouring but be real. The MO(fo) dome holds 65K, the FORMER Superdome, now known as Hell On Earth, held 88K. That is a heck of a lot of seats to make up for.
Actually the Superdome hols a little over 72,000 not 88,000!

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
If these games don't sell out 33,000 seats per game (32,000 are being held for season ticket holders) DAMN quick, it will be the final nail in the coffin of SA's chance to get an NFL franchise within the next 15 years. (I'm buying mine tomorrow morning)

Assuming the tickets sell out by this weekend, it might convince Benson to play next season here (or at least half of it). But long-term you have similar challenges in San Antonio as you do in New Orleans.

-An aging, out of date stadium in need of renovation or replacement that cannot provide the revenues that new, state of the art stadiums can. (at least SA's is functional though)

-Compared to other NFL cities, a relatively small television market (but the NFL performs very, very well in that small market.

-Compared to other NFL cities, a relatively limited corporate base. (would def. need to reach out to Austin in this regard - Dell, Temple-Inland, Freescale, Applied Materials, Samsung, AMD, 3M, etc.)

I think the best way to counter these challenges is for there to be overwhelming, sustained public support/demand for tickets. Today was def. a great first step. But if it tapers off, it really won't have mattered that much.

I know I'm probably going to be flamed any second now by the "San Antonio is the 8th largest city in the US, WE CAN support an NFL team" crowd, but I think we should get into this with our eyes wide open: The odds are not in our favor, and there is at least one other city the NFL wants to see a team in before they even consider a San Antonio team. (Don't forget Bob McNair paid the NFL a $900 million franchise fee to get a new team in Houston that the league was originally not very interested in compared to their collective lust for the ad revenue an LA team would bring in.) Is it an exciting possibility? No doubt. Is it worth getting hyped up about? Absolutely. Can it be done? With enough public support, yes. But we're kidding ourselves if we think The Saints will relocate here without serious "incentives" from the city/county to do so.

The first step is selling out these three games in record-setting time, though.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I got some top row tickets right at frickin 10 am.

i am pissed, and I plan on calling someone tomorrow about it.

Kori Ellis
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
The first step is selling out these three games in record-setting time, though.

If Ticketmaster.com gets it act together, then they'll probably sell out much faster. Today there were a lot of glitches online (as well as in person). Hopefully it's all worked out now. I wonder how many of the 32,000 ticket holders seats that were being held have now been released (meaning the people have informed them that they don't want them).

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
The Saints are undefeated ding dong.
1-0, ha! So are my Nebraska Cornhuskers at 2-0 and I am surely not claiming BIG XII Championship stuff...but then again, we have sold out 270 straight home games and we hold more than 78K.

Hey...Maybe if we could sell out the MO dome and sell pay per view at the sports bars to make up for the other 23,000 unsold seats, then we could support an NFL team. Do you think that the folks at FATSOS, DAVE/BUSTERS, CHAMPIONS, etc... would pay the price to make up for the 23,000 missed (assuming we sell out for all eight home games)? I think not.

Perhaps, we should sell seats in the SBC center to offset the 23K seats. Do you think 23K in SA would pay to go watch it on the big screen in SBC? I did not think so. That is the dilemma we have to deal with and address if we WANT an NFL franchise.

Then again, the RCA Dome only holds about 61K. But, the Colts are a winning franchise that came from another city with a winning tradition.

Heinz holds 64K for the Steelers. McAfee 62K for the Raiders. Again, teams with huge fan bases and legacies.

I would love to have an NFL team, I just do not think SA is ready to step up to it yet.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:17 PM
San Antonio has enough of a corp. base to support a team.

SBC, Time Warner, Clear Channel, Tesoro, Washington Mutual, Toyota, HEB, Worldbank, Verizon Wireless, Frost Bank, IBC, USAA, SWBC, MCI, Valero, etc.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Nebraska blows.

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Actually the Superdome hols a little over 72,000 not 88,000!

72K paying patrons, 88K total. Actually, if you look at the "official capacity" it is closer to 69K. Depends on the event and circumstances. By the way, it has been proven that 25K can ruin the place! Tacky, but true.

Bottom line is...we will not have an NFL team until we have a stadium worthwhile at housing and NFL team.

Enjoy the three games, I know I will. In 2006, I will look to my 6.00 Friday Night Football ticket as my best sports value during football season.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Perhaps, we should sell seats in the SBC center to offset the 23K seats. Do you think 23K in SA would pay to go watch it on the big screen in SBC?

Um, even if 23k wanted to, the SBC Center holds less than 19,000 max.

BigDaddyMatty
09-14-2005, 09:21 PM
TheWriter should change his saying from Buddy's Bitch to San Antonio's Bitch.

TheWriter
Bottom line is...we will not have an NFL team until we have a stadium worthwhile at housing and NFL team.

E-pinion. They're like assholes, everyone has them.

TheWriter
TheWriter should change his saying from Buddy's Bitch to San Antonio's Bitch.

No a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.

tw05baller
09-14-2005, 09:27 PM
18,797 or at least stan kelly says that when there's a sell out

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Nebraska blows.

Which I stated that they are not so good this year, even at 2-0. I am a realist and beating Maine and Timmy's Alma Mater means nothing.

Do they blow? NAHHH...If you look at the NCAA Champions since 1869, you will find the following, and keep in mind that there have been MANY different ways to judge who is the NC over the years:

Nebraska: 12 Championships
UT: 6 championship
TAMU: 2 Championships
TCU: 1 Championship

So, the BLOW Nebraska outdoes all Texas Schools combined.

As you peruse the link I am providing, http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html
please note that there have been MANY POLLS/JUDGES of championships and some even overlap. Note that UT/TAMU/and any of the other Texas Schools have never won them in the modern day determinations.

I will tell you this...My wife an Aggie and I myself a Husker, We truly see the Horns winning it all this year.

That said, it does not take away from the fact that SA REALLY has to step up beyond a few days ticket sales to score an NFL Team.

Hugs, Hussker

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM

Can hold more, they just have to fill the floor and stare up at the jumbotron...

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 09:37 PM
San Antonio has enough of a corp. base to support a team.

SBC, Time Warner, Clear Channel, Washington Mutual, Toyota, HEB, Worldbank, Verizon Wireless, Frost Bank, IBC, USAA, SWBC, MCI, Valero, etc.

That's a great list, but a short one. Compared to most NFL cities, they do not have as much of a corporate base. Buffalo and Green Bay are the only cities with teams I can think of that would have less of a base than San Antonio, but those are both NFL legacy cities with incredibly deep ties between the teams and the communities. Maybe SA would be on the same level as Phoenix, San Diego and Kansas City. Regardless, being at or near the bottom of the league in a key demographic category is not grounds to feel incredibly sunny about the chances of getting a team, no matter how badly all of us want it to happen.

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I got some top row tickets right at frickin 10 am.

i am pissed, and I plan on calling someone tomorrow about it.

You should be pissed, I got my Section 121 tix at 5pm! 125.00 each, but it is worth it for sure!

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:43 PM
E-pinion. They're like assholes, everyone has them.
And NFL Teams, all the major Metro Cities have them...except SA, and guess what, we may have three games and occasional COWBOYS practices and games, but we will not see a franchise in SA in our lifetimes...that includes the 20 years longer that you will live if WE live to be the same age young'un.

hussker
09-14-2005, 09:44 PM
That's a great list, but a short one. Compared to most NFL cities, they do not have as much of a corporate base. Buffalo and Green Bay are the only cities with teams I can think of that would have less of a base than San Antonio, but those are both NFL legacy cities with incredibly deep ties between the teams and the communities. Maybe SA would be on the same level as Phoenix, San Diego and Kansas City. Regardless, being at or near the bottom of the league in a key demographic category is not grounds to feel incredibly sunny about the chances of getting a team, no matter how badly all of us want it to happen.

Because sadly, it will not happen. I think our best chance and the one we were hoping for was the Vikings when Red was there. Not gonna happen now.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:47 PM

Jacksonville, New Orleans, Kansas City, and Tampa all have smaller corp. bases than San Antonio.

And the only reason the Packers are still in Green Bay is because they're the only publicly traded team in all of pro sports.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
And NFL Teams, all the major Metro Cities have them...except SA, and guess what, we may have three games and occasional COWBOYS practices and games, but we will not see a franchise in SA in our lifetimes...that includes the 20 years longer that you will live if WE live to be the same age young'un.

Again, your opinion. Which you are entitled to.

Opinions are not fact nor true. That's why they're opinions.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Because sadly, it will not happen. I think our best chance and the one we were hoping for was the Vikings when Red was there. Not gonna happen now.

And you have nothing to back this with besides the Dome being smaller than most.
:lol

hussker
09-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Jacksonville, New Orleans, Kansas City, and Tampa all have smaller corp. bases than San Antonio.

And the only reason the Packers are still in Green Bay is because they're the only publicly traded team in all of pro sports.

Tradition...makes a big difference. If the Oorang Indians had remained in the NFL (from Marion, Ohio, an Original NFL Team) they would have more support than the upstart SA Whatevers. Same with the Canton Bulldogs, etc...

There will be no NFL Franchise in SA within the next 25 yrs outside of preseason borrowing from Big D or wayward hurricane refugee supported teams...and yes, I used the R word.

If I am wrong, look me up in 25 yrs. Until then, I will enjoy the chances we have just like you do.

BUT, The Spurs will still be here!

GO SPURS GO!

hussker
09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Again, your opinion. Which you are entitled to.

Opinions are not fact nor true. That's why they're opinions.

One issue that is true..SA has no team, has never had a team and does not have plans for a team.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
One issue that is true..SA has no team, has never had a team and does not have plans for a team.

Does not have plans for a team? How the hell do you know?

Maybe the Mayor didn't, but you bet your ass Hardberger does.

hussker
09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Does not have plans for a team? How the hell do you know?

Maybe the Mayor didn't, but you bet your ass Hardberger does.

Show me the plans young'un...Oh, there are not any are there? Goodnight.

Hugs,
Old Hussker

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Show me the plans young'un...Oh, there are not any are there? Goodnight.

Hugs,
Old Hussker

Show me that there aren't. Old man.

I guess you can't can than.

You have the burden of proof.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:10 PM
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2302/saints5yp.jpg

They are selling these jerseys to SA fans to wear to the games for charity.

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 10:27 PM

being at or near the bottom of the league in a key demographic category is not grounds to feel incredibly sunny about the chances of getting a team, no matter how badly all of us want it to happen.

Thanks for proving my point. I said at or near the bottom. When 26 out of 30 teams have more of a corporate base that SA potentially has, it isn't a strong arguement for SA getting a team.

I am saying it is possible, but not likely. You keep answering with stats and figures that don't tell the whole story. Cisneros pulled that same bullshit rah-rah routine w/ respect to the NFL when the dome was built.

Again, I'm not againt the NFL here. Hell, I'm not even against the public building or remodeling the stadium if a majority of the voters decide to do so. But we need to be realistic about our chances and build a strategy accordingly that emphasizes our strengths, and de-emphasizes our weaknesess to the greatest extent possible.

The people of San Antonio deserve to have a real conversation about this, though - not a chamber of commerce commercial.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
The Saints are going back to New Orleans as soon as FEMA or some other government entity throws in the billion to build them a new stadium.

The Saints aren't staying here, just enjoy the ride and hopefully the ride lasts a little while.

What the fuck.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
The Saints are going back to New Orleans as soon as FEMA or some other government entity throws in the billion to build them a new stadium.

The Saints aren't staying here, just enjoy the ride and hopefully the ride lasts a little while.

What the fuck.

FEMA doesn't need to throw any money. The Dome is insured.

But Benson isn't going to wait 2-3 years with no home stadium.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
FEMA doesn't need to throw any money. The Dome is insured.

But Benson isn't going to wait 2-3 years with no home stadium.

Exactly, enjoy it while you its here.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Cities with smaller corp. bases: Buffalo, Cincinnat, Jacksonville, Indy, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Nashville, and Tampa.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Exactly, enjoy it while you its here.

Benson isn't going to wait in limbo for 2-3 years waiting for stadium to be built.

spurs=bling
09-14-2005, 10:36 PM
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2302/saints5yp.jpg

They are selling these jerseys to SA fans to wear to the games for charity.
:lol

ChumpDumper
09-14-2005, 10:49 PM
72K paying patrons, 88K total. Actually, if you look at the "official capacity" it is closer to 69K. Depends on the event and circumstances. By the way, it has been proven that 25K can ruin the place! Tacky, but true.I left the whole quote so everyone can have the context of your being a complete jerkoff. Tacky but true.

You'd know the Saints average home attendance last season was 64,147 if you bothered to pull the satistics out of any place other than your ass. That figure was down 7% from the previous season.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
I left the whole quote so everyone can have the context of your being a complete jerkoff. Tacky but true.

You'd know the Saints average home attendance last season was 64,147 if you bothered to pull the satistics out of any place other than your ass. That figure was down 7% from the previous season.

I believe that is called:

http://www.ettnet.se/~svante/temp/lenin_ownage.jpg

TheWriter
09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
35,000 tickets were sold today.

So far the city has sold over 85,000 tickets in less than two days.

TOP-CHERRY
09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Damnit. I haven't bought mine yet.

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 06:18 PM
I understand that about 85K of the available tickets have been sold now for the three games. And that there's only about 12-15K left (this doesn't include more that will be released from the season ticket holders). This is all just regular people buying. It doesn't include the corporations.

CharlieMac
09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
I like what Don Harris was saying that Hardberger said about saving seat at the top. I also like the Phil impression.

TheWriter
09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I understand that about 85K of the available tickets have been sold now for the three games. And that there's only about 12-15K left (this doesn't include more that will be released from the season ticket holders). This is all just regular people buying. It doesn't include the corporations.

I thought they only had 90,000 tickets for sale with the rest being saved for season ticket holders.

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I thought they only had 90,000 tickets for sale with the rest being saved for season ticket holders.

I understood they had 99,000. But I think that includes some season ticket holders' tickets who've already declined them.

Either way, San Antonians are doing an awesome job of buying the tickets so far.

TOP-CHERRY
09-15-2005, 06:26 PM
I like what Don Harris was saying that Hardberger said about saving seat at the top. I also like the Phil impression.
What'd he say?

CharlieMac
09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
What'd he say?

Oh, he said that Phil Hardberger would save one seat at the highest point in the nosebleed sections for Paul Tagliabue since he didn't feel that San Antonio was ready to handle an NFL game. That shitty seat would give him an excellent view of the number of people in the Dome. Naturally Phil was joking, but it would be funny either way.