PDA

View Full Version : Briles job in jeopardy over Ukwuachu incident?

benefactor
08-21-2015, 07:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/art-briles--lie-puts-his-future-at-baylor-in-doubt-203410911.html

:lol...he's fucked. Your move, Baptists. God is watching.

DMX7
08-21-2015, 07:16 PM
I would be absolutely stunned if he lost his job... it probably won't happen... further illustrating the point Texas Monthly made.

Silver&Black
08-21-2015, 07:33 PM
"This story comes with the familiar odor of a striver program that has finally reached the top – and is willing to sell plenty of its soul to stay there."

Seems pretty accurate. Somewhere Splits is laughing...

Kermit
08-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Nope. Someone will lose their job, but it won't be Art.

Unless they find 5 dead hookers in his basement.

TFloss32
08-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Can't help but think they'll burn Waco and as many people as it takes before they fire Briles.

Quote at the end sums it up well, imo. They're winning too much now.

TFloss32
08-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Briles needs Tiger to win that shitty tournament this weekend.

pgardn
08-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Big time inconsistencies...

"I was contacted by Coach Petersen at Boise State in spring 2013 and he told me he had a player from Texas who needed to get closer to home and that he thought our program would be a good spot for him," Briles said in a statement released by Baylor. "I know and respect Coach Petersen and he would never recommend a student-athlete to Baylor that he didn't believe in. In our discussion, he did not disclose that there had been violence toward women (by Ukwuachu), but he did tell me of a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which contributed to his depression. The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing p

"After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," Petersen said in the statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

Briles does not even indicate that the slime had already been dismissed if the first meeting is assumed to be initiated by Peterson. WTF am I missing here? This is an immediate inconsistency beyond all the other trouble.

pgardn
08-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Briles needs Tiger to win that shitty tournament this weekend.

Did not even think of that.
So we hope for a slow sports weekend to let this stew?

pgardn
08-22-2015, 12:00 AM
http://deadspin.com/the-baylor-football-sexual-assault-trial-you-havent-hea-1723776958

This is deeper than just Briles.
Big Ken Starr steps up to the plate.

spankadelphia
08-22-2015, 12:53 AM
All this shit that FSU, Auburn, Baylor, etc... have swept under the rug and gotten away with just makes me angry that we kicked RP and the Badger off the team for smoking weed. I doubt any other coach in the SEC would get rid of legit All American talent like that except maybe Mark Richt. Can't hate on Les Miles for doing the right thing, though. TM would probably be a statistic in New Orleans if he hadn't been kicked out of school.

College sports are a cesspool.

Vito Corleone
08-22-2015, 07:25 AM
I'm not a big fan of 20/20 hindsight, it's hard to know what someone is going to do.

I think most of this issue hinges on what was said between Briles and Peterson. If Peterson said something to the effect of this kid is violent and might be a danger to others, then Briles used really bad judgement and should be held accountable. If Peterson downplayed this kids past and told Briles he is a good kid or something to that effect then I'd say Briles was given bad information. Anything in between is too gray to fire him over. If it gets too deep, you can bet Briles will quit, he isn't Joe Paterno.

The bad judgement was that he didn't let the court system get satisfied before engaging with this kid in coming to Baylor, if he did then the second incident would not have happened. Well, at lease it probably would not have happened at Baylor, he probably does it somewhere else.

As a father of 4 daughters, I know these predators are out there, and it scares the hell out of me. You send your daughter off to college and you worry like hell; you hope and pray they use sound judgement and realize what can happen to them. But you do so hoping you are putting them in a place where they will be surrounded by people who will look out for them. Briles didn't do that, he should feel ashamed for what happened to this young woman.

benefactor
08-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Brian T. Smith with no regard for human life.

pgardn
08-22-2015, 11:14 AM
If Peterson pushes this and the girl's lawyer comes forward quickly it could be really tough on more than a few at Baylor and in Waco. If it sits, dust gathers as football starts. Who do you trust here, Peterson or Briles? And is it possible they both work out a miscommunication excuse peace offering...

unleashbaynes
08-22-2015, 11:52 AM
The TM article was just disgusting to read. The issue wasn't just taking the kid in, but sweeping the fact that he then raped a fellow student athlete under the rug. And Briles is far from the only one complicit in this. Ken Starr has some serious explaining to do as well. Then you have Waco PD not doing their job right, as well as every member of the local press down there ignoring the issue. It took an outsider doing some digging for this whole thing to come to light.

Briles won't lose his job though. That's the fucked up part, because if they were still a perennial loser this would be used as an excuse to get rid of him.

Splits
08-22-2015, 01:42 PM
The jury recommended probation, and the judge sentenced him to 180 days in county? For rape? What the hell is going on?

Blake
08-22-2015, 02:12 PM
The jury recommended probation, and the judge sentenced him to 180 days in county? For rape? What the hell is going on?

Yeah even though it's 10 years felony probation that's pretty ridiculous.

djohn2oo8
08-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Yeah even though it's 10 years felony probation that's pretty ridiculous.

Someone posted on this other forum that the Judge came from a Baylor family and is a Baylor grad.

Kermit
08-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Someone posted on this other forum that the Judge came from a Baylor family and is a Baylor grad.

I'm not a lawyer, but from what others have surmised, once the jury came back with probation the judges hands were tied. Judge gave him the harshest sentence he could considering the jury.

unleashbaynes
08-23-2015, 03:37 AM

That's dumb as fuck. The judge gave the harshest sentence possible given the circumstances.

djohn2oo8
08-23-2015, 07:36 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but from what others have surmised, once the jury came back with probation the judges hands were tied. Judge gave him the harshest sentence he could considering the jury.

The jury recommended 8 years in prison and probation. The judge gave 10 years probation, but the prison sentence only kicks in if he violates his probation. It's bullshit.

Obstructed_View
08-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Allowing Ukwuachu to transfer could be a forgivable mistake. Briles said he believes in second chances, and sometimes cutting a kid from a program forces him to grow up. It's not like he had a history of rapes. He punched through a window while he was drunk. There are guys that turn their lives around after that.

That said, the cover up is the part that always gets people into trouble, and the part that pisses me off. The investigation by the university was a joke. The coaches seemed to think that the outcome of this was going to go based on the horrible investigation by the university. Why federal law has universities acting in place of law enforcement I'll never know, because it's designed to protect women on campus, and the effect is just the opposite.

If it was incompetence, someone should be fired. If it was willful deceit to protect the football program, a lot of people should be fired. If Briles covered up, he should be gone. If he was just keeping quiet because Baylor's lawyers told him not to mention it, then who the hell knows? I wish someone would grow a goddamn backbone and do what's right.

At least the law enforcement part got it as right as they could. They did a much better job of gathering evidence than the school did. Now the victim's lawyers can make Baylor regret not handling this better from the start. If the money they're raking in from football is enough to cover it, then you'll see more of this from Baylor going forward.

Kermit
08-23-2015, 04:23 PM
The jury recommended 8 years in prison and probation. The judge gave 10 years probation, but the prison sentence only kicks in if he violates his probation. It's bullshit.

They didn't recommend prison and probation, they recommended prison BUT that it be probated. Judge's hands were tied after that.

pgardn
08-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Allowing Ukwuachu to transfer could be a forgivable mistake. Briles said he believes in second chances, and sometimes cutting a kid from a program forces him to grow up. It's not like he had a history of rapes. He punched through a window while he was drunk. There are guys that turn their lives around after that.

That said, the cover up is the part that always gets people into trouble, and the part that pisses me off. The investigation by the university was a joke. The coaches seemed to think that the outcome of this was going to go based on the horrible investigation by the university. Why federal law has universities acting in place of law enforcement I'll never know, because it's designed to protect women on campus, and the effect is just the opposite.

If it was incompetence, someone should be fired. If it was willful deceit to protect the football program, a lot of people should be fired. If Briles covered up, he should be gone. If he was just keeping quiet because Baylor's lawyers told him not to mention it, then who the hell knows? I wish someone would grow a goddamn backbone and do what's right.

At least the law enforcement part got it as right as they could. They did a much better job of gathering evidence than the school did. Now the victim's lawyers can make Baylor regret not handling this better from the start. If the money they're raking in from football is enough to cover it, then you'll see more of this from Baylor going forward.

This is old but more in depth than some articles.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

And Briles gave the 2nd chance based on information that is directly inconsistent with another coach's recommendation and evaluation that Briles claims he Was not given. Either Briles or Peterson is lying, this is clear. So I don't see how the transfer is forgivable if Briles himself has indicated " if we had known..." According to Peterson, they did know. Someone is lying.

And of course there are so many more issues with his whole deal as noted by yourself and other posters.

Obstructed_View
08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
This is old but more in depth than some articles.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

And Briles gave the 2nd chance based on information that is directly inconsistent with another coach's recommendation and evaluation that Briles claims he Was not given. Either Briles or Peterson is lying, this is clear. So I don't see how the transfer is forgivable if Briles himself has indicated " if we had known..." According to Peterson, they did know. Someone is lying.

And of course there are so many more issues with his whole deal as noted by yourself and other posters.

More's coming from this, for sure. It seems shameful on the surface that this was buried for so long. Baylor should have been forthright with the info just to avoid the mere appearance of impropriety IMO. The only good that I can see having come from the relative silence is that the jury pool wasn't poisoned before there was a trial. That's a small blessing, as victims rarely get justice in cases like this. Since you can't predict the future, making sure to allow the legal system to work makes this a bigger win than a lot of these types of cases we hear about.

I guess I don't understand yet what information Peterson claims to have shared that would have made this such a big deal, because "previous violence involving a female student" as the TM article states is misleading at best. The article itself suggests that the issue of punching the window was NOT related to why he was kicked off the team, but was information that was available at a later time. That seems like kind of shoddy journalism. It's easy to look at it and start hand-wringing with 20/20 hindsight, but I don't think that's particularly fair.

Football coaches are focused on football, so I can even sort of understand why you don't just lash the Phil Bennett statement around the university's neck and toss them overboard because nobody at this point knows what he was told or what he even knew. And ultimately, it's the rapist who's responsible for the rape. I'd much rather go after anyone and everyone in the university that tried to cover up the rape, if that occurred at any point.

pgardn
08-23-2015, 05:36 PM
More's coming from this, for sure. It seems shameful on the surface that this was buried for so long. Baylor should have been forthright with the info just to avoid the mere appearance of impropriety IMO. The only good that I can see having come from the relative silence is that the jury pool wasn't poisoned before there was a trial. That's a small blessing, as victims rarely get justice in cases like this. Since you can't predict the future, making sure to allow the legal system to work makes this a bigger win than a lot of these types of cases we hear about.

I guess I don't understand yet what information Peterson claims to have shared that would have made this such a big deal, because "previous violence involving a female student" as the TM article states is misleading at best. The article itself suggests that the issue of punching the window was NOT related to why he was kicked off the team, but was information that was available at a later time. That seems like kind of shoddy journalism. It's easy to look at it and start hand-wringing with 20/20 hindsight, but I don't think that's particularly fair.

Football coaches are focused on football, so I can even sort of understand why you don't just lash the Phil Bennett statement around the university's neck and toss them overboard because nobody at this point knows what he was told or what he even knew. And ultimately, it's the rapist who's responsible for the rape. I'd much rather go after anyone and everyone in the university that tried to cover up the rape, if that occurred at any point.

Simply because Briles has clearly indicated that if he had known he would not have been at Baylor. The "Oh Lord No, we did not know this" statement? " you will have to find out who said this (Peterson) and ask them" And Peterson directly opposes what Briles was given. Someone is lying. And to me this clearly indicates that Briles would never had accepted the kid at Baylor, No second chance. This is clear to me.

Phil Bennett knew that a guy who he had said would be on the field was going to be tried for rape. So you go in front of boosters and say he WILL play. There is no lying evident here, just bad judgement. And possibly that Bennett felt sure the kid would be found not guilty. That's all I can see directly. One could assume Bennett knew that the University and committed power in the community could get the kid off, but I won't go that far.

pgardn
08-23-2015, 05:43 PM
And also "The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing practice."

Peterson claims he told Briles he was dismissed from the team...

Help me out here, who is telling the truth?

pgardn
08-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Big time inconsistencies...

"I was contacted by Coach Petersen at Boise State in spring 2013 and he told me he had a player from Texas who needed to get closer to home and that he thought our program would be a good spot for him," Briles said in a statement released by Baylor. "I know and respect Coach Petersen and he would never recommend a student-athlete to Baylor that he didn't believe in. In our discussion, he did not disclose that there had been violence toward women (by Ukwuachu), but he did tell me of a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which contributed to his depression. The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing p

"After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," Petersen said in the statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

Briles does not even indicate that the slime had already been dismissed if the first meeting is assumed to be initiated by Peterson. WTF am I missing here? This is an immediate inconsistency beyond all the other trouble.

from earlier post..

unleashbaynes
08-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Baylor fans are fucking delusional for defending this.

Blake
08-24-2015, 08:33 AM
I think Briles slipped a bit, but I'm not sure about a cover up as much as it seems like a lot of gross incompetence and lack of diligence by the university as a whole. I guess well know more in the coming weeks.

Obstructed_View
08-24-2015, 04:53 PM
And also "The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing practice."

Peterson claims he told Briles he was dismissed from the team...

Help me out here, who is telling the truth?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The issues with the ex girlfriend didn't come up until the trial in Waco, which means neither university caught it. TM dug up information about it for their article, but it was sparse info at best. No part of Boise's statements or information come across as anything but covering their asses after the fact, which they're only doing to try to protect themselves from all the reactionary people that want someone's head just because they couldn't predict the future. Nobody knew that motherfucker was going to rape someone at the time. We'll see if there was information that someone intentionally let slip in order to allow Ukwuachu to go to Waco. It sucks that they couldn't protect that little girl, because that should be the number one job of learning institutions. Honestly, I'm unsure how we just assume everyone should have done something different because we know the outcome.

Again, if there's a cover up or if the football program strong-armed anyone into doing something they wouldn't normally do, then heads should roll for it. And college disciplinary boards should not be performing criminal investigations. The student privacy law is badly misused by schools.

The NCAA needs to come up with a better way to punish coaches if they do this as well. I read an article in the last month or so that fucking Dave Bliss got hired somewhere as a basketball coach.

As a father of 4 daughters, I know these predators are out there, and it scares the hell out of me. You send your daughter off to college and you worry like hell; you hope and pray they use sound judgement and realize what can happen to them. But you do so hoping you are putting them in a place where they will be surrounded by people who will look out for them. Briles didn't do that, he should feel ashamed for what happened to this young woman.

Agreed +1000. Well said. Everyone involved in allowing this to happen should be questioning their actions, because the only important thing is making sure they are never facilitating a predator.

pgardn
08-24-2015, 05:13 PM
The two aren't mutually exclusive. The issues with the ex girlfriend didn't come up until the trial in Waco, which means neither university caught it. TM dug up information about it for their article, but it was sparse info at best. No part of Boise's statements or information come across as anything but covering their asses after the fact, which they're only doing to try to protect themselves from all the reactionary people that want someone's head just because they couldn't predict the future. Nobody knew that motherfucker was going to rape someone at the time. We'll see if there was information that someone intentionally let slip in order to allow Ukwuachu to go to Waco. It sucks that they couldn't protect that little girl, because that should be the number one job of learning institutions. Honestly, I'm unsure how we just assume everyone should have done something different because we know the outcome.

Again, if there's a cover up or if the football program strong-armed anyone into doing something they wouldn't normally do, then heads should roll for it. And college disciplinary boards should not be performing criminal investigations. The student privacy law is badly misused by schools.

The NCAA needs to come up with a better way to punish coaches if they do this as well. I read an article in the last month or so that fucking Dave Bliss got hired somewhere as a basketball coach.

Agreed +1000. Well said. Everyone involved in allowing this to happen should be questioning their actions, because the only important thing is making sure they are never facilitating a predator.

Direct conflict of statements:

Briles indicates he was not told the kid was dismissed from the football team when he talked to Peterson.

Peterson says he told him the kid was dismissed.

Somebody is lying.

All the other crud is just beginning to spill forth. Ken Starr and Baylor's first investigation of the kid was so shoddy the judge would not allow it in court. Baylor presented a polygraph to the judge (independently given to Baylor by the kid as a part of evidence of THEIR investigation.).. It's really bad.

But above this is a lie.
And I would hope Baylor did not expect the kid to rape again. Although they knew he was going to trial for it and stated he would play indicating they thought it would not hold up despite all of what the prosecutors had? Which was a whole lot.

pgardn
08-24-2015, 05:17 PM
This stuff is obviously one sided...
But there is a shitload of it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-nuENq9AmeSckENpssVafBXZU6N28osZSe4K3nrN-ps/mobilebasic?pli=1

Along with the basketball stuff under Bliss?

Man... I had no idea. I had no idea how Bliss was involved till a football player from Texas came back home.

TFloss32
08-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Blake
08-25-2015, 11:21 AM
This stuff is obviously one sided...
But there is a shitload of it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-nuENq9AmeSckENpssVafBXZU6N28osZSe4K3nrN-ps/mobilebasic?pli=1

Along with the basketball stuff under Bliss?

Man... I had no idea. I had no idea how Bliss was involved till a football player from Texas came back home.

I think it's crazy how Baylor can go from the bottom of the toilet to the top of the conference in all sports basically overnight. Something other than the Brazos has smelled really rotten in Waco now for the better part of a decade.

djohn2oo8
08-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Shit is getting real.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Briles indicates he was not told the kid was dismissed from the football team when he talked to Peterson.

Peterson says he told him the kid was dismissed.

Somebody is lying.

Or you're just filling in the blanks because you have a narrative you want to satisfy. Nothing you posted says that Briles denied knowing the student had been dismissed from the team.

And you said "rape again", as though he had done it before. Did he do it before?

TFloss32
08-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Jimmiemac
08-25-2015, 03:25 PM

Buh bye Briles.

Blake
08-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Buh bye Briles.

Highly doubtful.

TFloss32
08-25-2015, 04:17 PM

pgardn
08-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Or you're just filling in the blanks because you have a narrative you want to satisfy. Nothing you posted says that Briles denied knowing the student had been dismissed from the team.

And you said "rape again", as though he had done it before. Did he do it before?

No read the articles. There is a direct contradiction.

And good catch on the rape again. There is absolutely no indication he raped anyone while at Boise. My mistake and a bad one. I am trying to be fair as I liked seeing Baylor do well. I got to see my brother in law suffer when they beat TCU.

TFloss32
08-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Obstructed_View
08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
I think it's crazy how Baylor can go from the bottom of the toilet to the top of the conference in all sports basically overnight. Something other than the Brazos has smelled really rotten in Waco now for the better part of a decade.

You're clearly not paying attention. Baylor was bad at football since Grant Teaff retired and they couldn't find a decent coach, and it didn't turn around until they got Robert Griffin. They have been good at all the other sports. It's not like they're suddenly getting the best draft classes in the nation. They were 32 this year, behind UT, Oklahoma, and all of the SEC. Tech had one more four-star recruit this year than Baylor did.

Blake
08-26-2015, 03:07 PM
You're clearly not paying attention. Baylor was bad at football since Grant Teaff retired and they couldn't find a decent coach, and it didn't turn around until they got Robert Griffin. They have been good at all the other sports. It's not like they're suddenly getting the best draft classes in the nation. They were 32 this year, behind UT, Oklahoma, and all of the SEC. Tech had one more four-star recruit this year than Baylor did.

I've paid attention just fine, especially when the program was found to be especially filthy in the early 00s.

That breakthrough came during the 2011-12 school year, *now referred to as “The Year of the Bear”, when Baylor set a new NCAA record for the highest total of combined wins (129) among a university’s football, men’s and women’s basketball, and baseball programs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2014/08/14/how-the-baylor-bears-engineered-one-of-the-greatest-organizational-turnarounds-in-sports/

It's a great story about how they cleaned house and came out on top. I think Briles is an incredible coach.

it's just too quick and too huge a turnaround for me. I've got no proof but I think it's still really rotten there somewhere.

Obstructed_View
08-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I've paid attention just fine, especially when the program was found to be especially filthy in the early 00s.

It was worse than especially filthy, but it was mostly Dave Bliss. The basketball program under Bliss was the worst I've ever heard of, maybe in any sport. The only thing that saved Baylor from the death penalty was that they found the violations in their own investigations and turned everything over without trying to cover anything up. They also found violations in their tennis program and volunteered all of it. It's one reason I don't think the athletic department would dare to try to hide anything about this case. I think the investigation by the school was horrible, but it's something colleges have been doing a lot lately, and there are federal laws that outline the practice. It's sickening, but it's a discussion that has its place away from athletics.

Scott Drew isn't the greatest coach, but he volunteered to take over the Baylor program and put his name on it when it was at its lowest point. One would think he wouldn't risk doing that if he were planning on cheating to rebuild it.

But none of Baylor's sports were "bottom of the toilet" except for football, which didn't get really bad until after Chuck Reedy was fired as Teaff's replacement and they just had terrible luck hiring coaches. Steve Smith and Kim Mulkey had been at the university for some time before the Bliss violations and had taken good programs and made them better. Baylor's track team had always been a national power.

Blake
08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
It was
But none of Baylor's sports were "bottom of the toilet" except for football

Mens basketball had one .... one.... tournament appearance between 1951 and 2007. That's FIFTY years of mediocrity before being tourney regulars.

Blake
08-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Womens basketball has been to the tourney 14 straight years now dating back to 2001.

Before that the only two appearances ever were in '76 & 77.

pgardn
08-26-2015, 11:27 PM
The obvious here is that Baylor is some sort of exception in college FB.

I think because of the Baptist heritage people are blowing up. Nick Saban taking that kid from Georgia, Jerrah and his continual reliance on "reforming" good football players, FSU and its repeating problems with players...

Charlie Strong actually having to put No Guns, and Respect Women in writing? These kids are spoiled brats turning criminals aided by old men because they play a game well. Starts in Junior High it seems. And I sound like a crotchety old fart who can't do without that Saturday. And Sunday.

Jimmiemac
08-27-2015, 10:03 AM
The obvious here is that Baylor is some sort of exception in college FB.

I think because of the Baptist heritage people are blowing up. Nick Saban taking that kid from Georgia, Jerrah and his continual reliance on "reforming" good football players, FSU and its repeating problems with players...

Charlie Strong actually having to put No Guns, and Respect Women in writing? These kids are spoiled brats turning criminals aided by old men because they play a game well. Starts in Junior High it seems. And I sound like a crotchety old fart who can't do without that Saturday. And Sunday.

Think it has a lot more to do with what happened after the incident given what they already knew about the player. The victim was treated like shit, had her scholly reduced, had her attacker remain in her courses, etc etc. If BU cut him loose after the rape this whould not have blown up like it did, instead they were up to a few months ago expecting him to play.

The Reckoning
08-27-2015, 04:21 PM
briles lose his job over this? yeah right. only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

TFloss32
08-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Rape victim lawyers up:

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/exclusive-baylor-rape-victim-hires-noted-title-ix-attorney.html/

TFloss32
08-28-2015, 11:57 AM
There's another article in that same section with the following:

Consider the testimony in the trial of Sam Ukwuachu from Bethany McCraw, a Baylor associate dean. McCraw had conducted her own investigation of charges brought by the student known as Jane Doe, and she determined there was insufficient evidence to move forward with a case. She made that ruling, by the way, without bothering to check the results of a rape kit.

Anyway, as if that weren’t bad enough, McCraw informed the jury that Jane Doe had told her she’d previously kissed Ukwuachu and had oral sex with him. Only she had done no such thing. What she told McCraw, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald, was that she’d rebuffed Ukwuachu’s advances.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/kevin-sherrington/20150824-sherrington-baylor-case-needs-to-be-watershed-event-for-how-we-all-think-about-sexual-assault.ece

unleashbaynes
08-28-2015, 02:38 PM
I can't believe that idiot dean perjured herself on the stand.

Obstructed_View
08-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Mens basketball had one .... one.... tournament appearance between 1951 and 2007. That's FIFTY years of mediocrity before being tourney regulars.

Womens basketball has been to the tourney 14 straight years now dating back to 2001.

Before that the only two appearances ever were in '76 & 77.

All true. All Baylor sports were mediocre until Kim Mulkey was hired. Mediocrity is not the same as "bottom of the toilet". Baylor football after Reedy and before Briles defined that term nicely, but that's the only sport that finished dead last every year.

TFloss32
08-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Baylor hiring outside firm to investigate:

http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2015/08/28/baylor-will-turn-to-outside-firm-to-investigate-how-it-handled-rape-case/

benefactor
01-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Here's the OTL report.

:lol Elliott's family melting down in the responses trying to defend him

Blake
02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Mediocrity is not the same as "bottom of the toilet

That's telling me

Obstructed_View
03-04-2016, 07:26 PM
That's telling me

Words mean things.

Blake
03-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Words mean things.

Because it's very important to note that Baylor wasn't bottom of the toilet, just the middle

Vito Corleone
03-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Before Briles they would have to have a great season to reach bottom of the toilet

Obstructed_View
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Because it's very important to note that Baylor wasn't bottom of the toilet, just the middle

Since your statement that they were worst of the worst in every sport was evidence that they've been cheating at an institutional level to bring every single sport up to where it is today, it seems important to note that the starting point you've given them is a complete fabrication. Their football team was beyond horrible for a long time and it took the combination of one good coach and one Heisman trophy to dig them out of that hole.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Before Briles they would have to have a great season to reach bottom of the toilet

Very true. I've probably said this before, but I think the UNLV game was the low point.

Blake
03-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Since your statement that they were worst of the worst in every sport was evidence that they've been cheating at an institutional level to bring every single sport up to where it is today, it seems important to note that the starting point you've given them is a complete fabrication. Their football team was beyond horrible for a long time and it took the combination of one good coach and one Heisman trophy to dig them out of that hole.

I couldn't have stated any clearer that although there's no evidence, it's my opinion that Baylor has been cheating to get where they are in the three sports.

If you really value my opinion that much, you're free to continue your attempts to persuade me.

Important stuff.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
I couldn't have stated any clearer that although there's no evidence, it's my opinion that Baylor has been cheating to get where they are in the three sports.

Actually you should go back and read what you typed, because you made it pretty clear that you think they have been cheating for a decade because all major sports went from worst to first overnight. We are all aware of your opinion, and nobody values it. And now we all agree that there are no facts to support it either. You could turn out to be correct that they are cheating at every sport but at this point it's nothing other than sour grapes and wishful thinking.

Blake
03-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Actually you should go back and read what you typed, because you made it pretty clear that you think they have been cheating for a decade because all major sports went from worst to first overnight. We are all aware of your opinion, and nobody values it. And now we all agree that there are no facts to support it either. You could turn out to be correct that they are cheating at every sport but at this point it's nothing other than sour grapes and wishful thinking.

Lol we all

Important stuff! !!!!!!!

Blake
03-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Wait was this thread about again?

Oh yeah

"This story comes with the familiar odor of a striver program that has finally reached the top – and is willing to sell plenty of its soul to stay there."

Seems pretty accurate. Somewhere Splits is laughing...

Blake
03-09-2016, 03:13 PM
"
The*Baylor University*athletics department was an organization on the brink. Left reeling after the murder of one of its student-athletes by his own teammate, a deeper investigation exposed what would become one of the most shocking scandals in recent college sports memory. A program already mired in mediocrity was now found to have an endemic culture of cheating and a total disregard for the amateurism ideals that were at the very essence of why the department existed in the first place..........."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2014/08/14/how-the-baylor-bears-engineered-one-of-the-greatest-organizational-turnarounds-in-sports/#56a0042d414b

Oh look. Someone else called them cheaters

benefactor
04-13-2016, 01:26 PM
More rapes covered up.

Smh

benefactor
04-13-2016, 01:41 PM
:lol Briles
:lol Failor
:lol Just Let It Happen University

Obstructed_View
04-26-2016, 10:29 PM
"
The*Baylor University*athletics department was an organization on the brink. Left reeling after the murder of one of its student-athletes by his own teammate, a deeper investigation exposed what would become one of the most shocking scandals in recent college sports memory. A program already mired in mediocrity was now found to have an endemic culture of cheating and a total disregard for the amateurism ideals that were at the very essence of why the department existed in the first place..........."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2014/08/14/how-the-baylor-bears-engineered-one-of-the-greatest-organizational-turnarounds-in-sports/#56a0042d414b

Oh look. Someone else called them cheaters

Oh look. Someone called them cheaters just like I did on page 2 of this thread.

Blake
04-26-2016, 10:44 PM
You could turn out to be correct that they are cheating at every sport but at this point it's nothing other than sour grapes and wishful thinking.

So which one is you, sour grapes or wishful thinking. Both?

Obstructed_View
04-26-2016, 10:53 PM
So which one is you, sour grapes or wishful thinking. Both?

How would either apply? What part of my statements though this thread are in favor of anything but transparency and punishment for cheaters and lawbreakers?

Blake
04-27-2016, 08:28 AM
How would either apply? What part of my statements though this thread are in favor of anything but transparency and punishment for cheaters and lawbreakers?

Where did I say you weren't

Obstructed_View
04-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Where did I say you weren't

So you're just trying to get your post count up. Got it. Glad we all agree.

Blake
04-27-2016, 10:39 PM
So you're just trying to get your post count up. Got it. Glad we all agree.

Uh ok. Good talk.

clambake
05-19-2016, 01:34 PM
boom

benefactor
05-19-2016, 03:56 PM
:lol Rapelor

DMX7
05-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Baylor seems pretty dug-in like they're not going to admit any substantial wrong doing despite all the allegations.

benefactor
05-21-2016, 11:07 AM
They'd better do something...or they are going to get fucked in the ass by the Texas AG and the NCAA.

DMX7
05-21-2016, 12:40 PM
They'd better do something...or they are going to get fucked in the ass by the Texas AG and the NCAA.

Hasn't the NCAA been pretty silent? If it were going to do something, wouldn't it have at least signaled it by now?

Kermit
05-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Texas AG is a Baylor grad and is the under indictment. He don't give a fuck.

benefactor
05-21-2016, 11:14 PM
They can't stay quiet forever. This is some shit that doesn't just get swept under the rug.

Biggems
05-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Baylor is the Penn State of Texas.......all this sexual misconduct and abuse being hidden and covered up. PSU was a coach raping boys, Baylor is several players raping and assaulting coeds. Briles is absolute scum for knowing the trash within his program and hoarding it just to win football games, and at a Christian University no less.

TFloss32
05-26-2016, 11:00 AM
It's done.

benefactor
05-26-2016, 11:01 AM
:wakeup

Silver&Black
05-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Took long enough...

Obstructed_View
06-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Took long enough...

Word is that Briles knew he was fired for over a month, but they're trying to figure out how not to pay that ten year extension. There may be more firings to come once they figure out the legal/finance part.

Harry Callahan
06-04-2016, 11:54 AM
The powers that be got swept up in Briles considerable coaching abilities - it's too bad that a few bad apples and looking the other way on an institutional level is going to result in a lot of pain for a lot of people in Waco.

I just hope that the people in the know were very few and that they are dealt with appropriately.

Hopefully the affected female Baylor students can get the help and support they need and deserve.

Baylor is fine school and will survive this dark period in time.

Baylor tries to hold itself to a higher standard than the norm, but, unfortunately, there is no school immune from people willing to take short cuts and look the other way.

Blake
06-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Baylor is fine school and will survive this dark period in time.

I wonder if the football program survives. Penn St seems to be okay now but that's Penn St

Obstructed_View
06-05-2016, 10:46 AM
I wonder if the football program survives. Penn St seems to be okay now but that's Penn St

It won't be any good, but it will survive. They're trying to save it which is what's going to kill it.

djohn2oo8
06-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Penn State got off very light. They should have gotten the death penalty

Das Texan
06-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Penn State got off very light. They should have gotten the death penalty

There are about 3-4 schools that SHOULD have gotten it since SMU got it and was really nearly destroyed.

I know Alabama for one should have been handed it at one point.

Blake
06-09-2016, 09:29 AM
There are about 3-4 schools that SHOULD have gotten it since SMU got it and was really nearly destroyed.

I know Alabama for one should have been handed it at one point.

Way more than 3-4 in my opinion

djohn2oo8
07-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Report: Baylor Coerced Rape Victims Into Silence By Threatening To Punish Them For Drinking
Quote:
Baylor rape victims say the university told women who attempted to report their assaults that their parents would be informed of their alcohol or drug use under the student conduct code and in some circumstances were themselves charged with code violations, according to the Associated Press

Baylor’s student code banned dancing until 1996 and only last year removed “fornication,” “adultery,” and “homosexual acts” from its official list of misconduct. Victims say Baylor even punished women who tried to report assaults that happened to other victims:

One woman said her case began when she called police to report a physical assault on another woman at an off-campus party. Police demanded to know if she was underage and had been drinking, then arrested and reported her to the school office that investigates conduct code violations, she said. She told Baylor officials her drinking was a result of being raped a month earlier and detailed what happened in person and in a letter.

She received an alcohol code violation and told to do 25 hours community service, and when she tried to appeal, the woman said Baylor officials urged her to drop it. The school never pursued her rape claim.

“I was told by many Baylor staff that they couldn’t do anything for me because my assault was off campus, yet they had no problem punishing me for my off-campus drinking,” the woman said.
Universities are required by federal law to investigate sexual assaults, whether they happen on- or off-campus, and feds informed Baylor in 2011 that its conduct policy may have a chilling effect on sexual assault reporting. Being caught drinking alcohol is cause for expulsion under Baylor’s student conduct policy.

Pepper Hamilton’s report cited the policy as “creating barriers” to victims reporting their assaults, due both to fears of being punished and those of parental informing.

leemajors
07-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Report: Baylor Coerced Rape Victims Into Silence By Threatening To Punish Them For Drinking
Quote:
Baylor rape victims say the university told women who attempted to report their assaults that their parents would be informed of their alcohol or drug use under the student conduct code and in some circumstances were themselves charged with code violations, according to the Associated Press

Baylor’s student code banned dancing until 1996 and only last year removed “fornication,” “adultery,” and “homosexual acts” from its official list of misconduct. Victims say Baylor even punished women who tried to report assaults that happened to other victims:

One woman said her case began when she called police to report a physical assault on another woman at an off-campus party. Police demanded to know if she was underage and had been drinking, then arrested and reported her to the school office that investigates conduct code violations, she said. She told Baylor officials her drinking was a result of being raped a month earlier and detailed what happened in person and in a letter.

She received an alcohol code violation and told to do 25 hours community service, and when she tried to appeal, the woman said Baylor officials urged her to drop it. The school never pursued her rape claim.

“I was told by many Baylor staff that they couldn’t do anything for me because my assault was off campus, yet they had no problem punishing me for my off-campus drinking,” the woman said.
Universities are required by federal law to investigate sexual assaults, whether they happen on- or off-campus, and feds informed Baylor in 2011 that its conduct policy may have a chilling effect on sexual assault reporting. Being caught drinking alcohol is cause for expulsion under Baylor’s student conduct policy.

Pepper Hamilton’s report cited the policy as “creating barriers” to victims reporting their assaults, due both to fears of being punished and those of parental informing.

disgusting

pgardn
07-31-2016, 12:02 PM
Quote:

If true Waco has some police department issues as well. See you in court.

Obstructed_View
08-05-2016, 04:56 PM
That's why Waco has been a shithole for much of the last 150 years. Under the thumb of the Babdists and the university. Better go get that abortion so the other members of your church don't know your daughter's pregnant and judge you for it.

Blake
08-06-2016, 01:42 PM
And then hide the abortion lest you get judged for murder too

benefactor
10-28-2016, 04:29 PM
It's time for the death penalty.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-17-women-reported-assaults-by-19-baylor-players-since-2011-201420187.html

pgardn
10-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Briles broke down in front of the regents.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17912838/investigation-baylor-university-said-art-briles-failed-alert-police-allegations

Obstructed_View
10-29-2016, 12:07 AM
A bunch of men in Texas crying because their winning football team is going down the toilet and their jobs are in jeopardy. Baylor should be made an example of for sure. I'd love to see their entire athletic department figuratively burned to the ground.

Splits
10-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Too bad he isn't running for president, he could just claim all these bitches are lying.

benefactor
02-03-2017, 01:17 PM
He's really fucked now tbh

unleashbaynes
02-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Some of this stuff is downright criminal. He should be in jail.

clambake
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
they need to get the focus off their football program by...

...having another murder in their basketball program.

DD
02-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Rape U:lmao

Fabbs
02-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Briles broke down in front of the regents.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17912838/investigation-baylor-university-said-art-briles-failed-alert-police-allegations
You've got to love defense liarwyers. :lol

Ernest Cannon, Briles' attorney, told The Journal that Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over Baylor's painful situation, but the former coach didn't admit to wrongdoing.
http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100411-toyotalegal-vmed-1051a.grid-4x2.jpg

Blake
02-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Yeah Briles is a piece of shit but I'm still wondering where the hell is the Waco PD in all of this? Why aren't they being taken to the wood shed on this too