PDA

View Full Version : City of San Antonio to Have a Saints River Parade.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Councilman Chip Haas was on News @ Nine and said the city would have a river parade with all the Saints players and coaches. He said it would be on Oct 1, the day before the first game.

He also said the city would host a tail gate party.

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't know. That's pretty lame.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Why?

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
P-a-r-t-y

Exactly!

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Because I said so.

It's going to be like the St. Patty's Day and Halloween "parade" they have every year. 6 floats with Alamo City Heat or someone like that playing on a float.

The tailgate party is cool though. I can dig that.

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
If the City wants to whore its self out to the Saints, fine. But don't pretend this is something it's not. Major river parades have been pretty special as far as I can remember: Fiesta and Spurs Championships. This cheapens them. I think the Saints should do more than just show up for a few games to earn something special like a river parade. If you want to do something special to welcome The Saints, spend that money on more badass tailgate parties before the games, or maybe donate it to hurricane relief.

SA officials to Tom Benson and the NFL. "Come watch 150,000 people beg to bring the NFL to San Antonio."

The more I think about this, the more it just doesn't sit well with me.

Vashner
09-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Hum. they should have it on game day.. would be easier to find good parking then walk to dome :)

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:06 PM
During the week of the Alamo Bowl, there's a parade for both teams.

So this isn't out of line.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hum. they should have it on game day.. would be easier to find good parking then walk to dome :)

Finally said something worth noting.

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 10:12 PM
During the week of the Alamo Bowl, there's a parade for both teams.

So this isn't out of line.

They usually suck dude. All you have is college kids screaming at the floats for about 2 minutes then they go back to drinking. The cheerleaders are always a treat though.

Oh man, speaking of which, you people need to be on the river when there are cheerleader conventions in town. Watching 12 year old girls cheer or battle each other from opposite sides of the riverwalk ala Bring It On is priceless. It almost makes up for their bitchy parents.

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:17 PM
If the City wants to whore its self out to the Saints, fine.
:lmao

I love that the Saints are here and all... BUT I do agree this is definitely over the top.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:19 PM
:lmao

I love that the Saints are here and all... BUT I do agree this is definitely over the top.

No it's not.

Alamo Bowl parades for both teams. Is that over the top as well?

It's called getting in the mode for a game. Putting the players and fans up.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Having a parade is a bit much. What if they don't draw a big crowd?

It's a risk.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2302/saints5yp.jpg

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:21 PM
No it's not.

That's your opinion. It doesn't make it so.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
That's your opinion. It doesn't make it so.

True.

But if you don't think two Alamobowl parades isn't over the top, then how can you say this one is?

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
True.

But if you don't think two Alamobowl parades isn't over the top, then how can you say this one is?
This isn't a permanent team (at least not yet). This team still belongs to another city. We're hosting them for 3 games only. I'm glad that the city is happy to have them here (I am too)... But having a river parade is just too much.

...Then again, this city finds any excuse to party.

SequSpur
09-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Why are they playing in Baton Rouge? That place is a craphole.

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Plus, having river parades for Spurs Championships is tradition. As are the Alamobowl parades.

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 10:35 PM

The need to be near their displaced fans. Or something like that. It's a dump indeed. Add to that the overcrowding.....

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:36 PM
This isn't a permanent team (at least not yet). This team still belongs to another city. We're hosting them for 3 games only. I'm glad that the city is happy to have them here (I am too)... But having a river parade is just too much.

Any previous and future Alamo Bowl isn't San Antonio's team, but they still throw a parade, two of them.

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Any previous and future Alamo Bowl isn't San Antonio's team, but they still throw a parade, two of them.
Well, at least they're constant.

The Saints aren't.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, at least they're constant.

The Saints aren't.

So what's the big deal if they thrown a River parade?

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:39 PM
That the city looks ridiculous.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:43 PM
That the city looks ridiculous.

Why?

Because you say so?

:lol

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
To me it looks ridiculous.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
To me it looks ridiculous.

TOP-CHERRY
09-14-2005, 10:45 PM
... And whorish.
:D

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:46 PM
... And whorish.
:D

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
I realize you're San Antonio Super-Fan# 1, and thats all right, but to others it looks ridiculous that taco-town will drop to it's knees for the NFL.

If the city said something like "we'd like to throw a river parade for the Saints AND their fans displaced from New Orleans", then that's something more commendable and totally different situation.

Tailgate parties are an NFL tradition. Throwing players on a boat because they are playing a game isn't. You can't even compare it to the college town atmosphere that downtown has the week of the Alamobowl. I'm going to assume you've been down there for the festivities since you love the city so much. There are pep rallies every where, people chanting their school songs at each other from different restaurants, and most places stay open very late on the River.

I love the fact that the Saints are coming here, and I'll be looking forward to my first NFL tailgate party, I'm stoked about that, but announcing a River Parade? Lame-ski.

exstatic
09-14-2005, 10:50 PM

:lol So was New Orleans. If you strayed like a block or two away from the tourist spots, you were liable to get mugged...IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I realize you're San Antonio Super-Fan# 1, and thats all right, but to others it looks ridiculous that taco-town will drop to it's knees for the NFL.

If the city said something like "we'd like to throw a river parade for the Saints AND their fans displaced from New Orleans", then that's something more commendable and totally different situation.

Taco town? :lol :lol :lol

So are you against the river parade or the idea that Chip Haas didn't say the worlds "evacuees?"

Get your shit together man.

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 10:57 PM
First, nobody gives a crap about the Alamobowl parades, as was pointed out. That's why I qualified my post with MAJOR. Seriously dude. Reading comprehension is a good thing. Stopping to consider what you just read wouldn't hurt, either.

And this parade will be major. Even if 100,000 "fans" don't show up, you can bet your ass media does, and the headlines nationally will not be flattering no matter how many people attend. We might as well just put up the "Thanks Katrina for the Saints" signs now. You need to understand that in todays 24 hour news cycle, perception is reality. And given how sensitive anything Katrina-related is right now, there's no way this parade gets a positive spin outside of Texas in the first news cycle. After that, the damage is done, no matter how many press conferences you have to explain yourself.

CharlieMac
09-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Taco town? :lol :lol :lol

So are you against the river parade or the idea that Chip Haas didn't say the worlds "evacuees?"

Get your shit together man.

He could call them hobos and I wouldn't care. You're barking up the wrong tree there, sport.

midgetonadonkey
09-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Why not have a parade? Fuck it, any excuse for a party.

timvp
09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
To get the NFL in this town, I'd sign off on whoring out the city. Whatever it takes. Even if the politicians have to get on their knees.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 11:15 PM
To get the NFL in this town, I'd sign off on whoring out the city. Whatever it takes. Even if the politicians have to get on their knees.

You're fucking evil man, fucking evil.[/Eriks and Mark]

timvp
09-14-2005, 11:17 PM

I expect you do get your knees dirty, too. No one knows this cow town like you.

Get out there.

TheWriter
09-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I expect you do get your knees dirty, too. No one knows this cow town like you.

Get out there.

Taco town? Cow town? :lol :lol

Mark in Austin
09-14-2005, 11:34 PM

:lol riiight. First, I never said the city shouldn't whore itsself out. Just have the balls to be honest about it. And I personally don't think that a major river parade is the appropriate event/venue for this type of trick - mainly because the big river parade has come to signify something special that as a city we take pride in or celebrate. Second, as I elaborated in a subsequent post, the biggest reason I'm against it is that I think it will do more damage than good in terms of public perception. The NFL is very image conscious and will not allow itself to be associated with what could very likely be portrayed in the National media as San Antonio dancing on New Orleans' grave.

NZHayden
09-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Tail gate parties, i envy you americans i want a tailgate party.

CharlieMac
09-15-2005, 12:03 AM
:lol riiight. First, I never said the city shouldn't whore itsself out. Just have the balls to be honest about it. And I personally don't think that a major river parade is the appropriate event/venue for this type of trick - mainly because the big river parade has come to signify something special that as a city we take pride in or celebrate. Second, as I elaborated in a subsequent post, the biggest reason I'm against it is that I think it will do more damage than good in terms of public perception. The NFL is very image conscious and will not allow itself to be associated with what could very likely be portrayed in the National media as San Antonio dancing on New Orleans' grave.

Dude's got a point. That's like the teenage kid next door dying of cancer, then you showing off the car you bought off of his parents at a sweet price a week later that belonged to him.

There have been articles across the country implying Benson is trying to take advantage of this hurricane already. It's also no secret that the NFL would have taken Los Angeles over SA in a heartbeat and was already wondering if this city could sell out an NFL game when the Saints couldn't even sell them out themselves last year in New Orleans. I don't want anything to jeopordize our already slim chances of having a team here in the near future, especially because some people thought it would be neat-o to have a parade on the Riverwalk. People across the country are going to read that, and watch the assholes at PTI and Around the Horn spin that (because we know how they just love San Antonio) and think we're a bunch of opportunistic dicks.

Now whether we are or not is a different story, but to give that impression would make the NFL shy away from us even more. Unless we sell the fuck out every game AND the games draw big ratings. Then all that doesn't matter because money makes the world go round.

Also, if you're going to take shot at me, atleast do better than that. I worked in an SAISD high school and substituted as well for crying outloud. Bring the funny.

TheWriter
09-15-2005, 12:05 AM
You people understand there are real estate developers who are prime and ready to take advantage of the low porperity values in New Orleans.

So many people are going to take advantage of this storms aftermath. You're getting pissed out at the wrong people.

San Antonio isn't forcing anyone to move here.

MannyIsGod
09-15-2005, 12:14 AM
You people understand there are real estate developers who are prime and ready to take advantage of the low porperity values in New Orleans.

So many people are going to take advantage of this storms aftermath. You're getting pissed out at the wrong people.

San Antonio isn't forcing anyone to move here.
No, they are just asking them to.

Why do you get upset when people disagree with you in matters regarding the future of this city? You want the NFL to come here no matter what because you want San Antonio to become NYC overnight. Others don't want the team at the expense of another city due to a hurricane.

Thats not to say they don't understand they dynamics, they simply don't agree with them.

What was it you said about Eopinions?

T Park
09-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Glad Top Cherry is around to tell us what we look like.

ZStomp
09-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Damn Buddy Holly....I love San Antonio but damn, what you have is a fetish or something. Slow down there speedy.

I think you're too much! and YOU whore yourself out to the city :lmao

Extra Stout
09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Is anybody else in America going to care if San Antonio throws a parade for the Saints? I don't think others attach the importance to those parades that locals do.

Now, if San Antonio leaders announced plans for a $750 million retractable-roof stadium at the parade, that might look bad.

SpursWoman
09-15-2005, 08:11 AM

Do we really need an excuse?

Nothing wrong with a little pep-rally. :)

SpursWoman
09-15-2005, 08:19 AM

Me, too. If they don't go out of there way to show how much San Antonio would support their own NFL team, we will NEVER get one.