PDA

View Full Version : Matt Moore : Why LMA Addition May Mean Big Changes to Spurs Identity

milkyway21
08-27-2015, 04:33 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25280794/why-lamarcus-aldridge-addition-may-mean-big-changes-to-spurs-identity/

Nice article.

But I think they don't know that part or one of LMA's agreement with Pop was he won't play center..and they think he will or might. :D
I doubt.

objective
08-27-2015, 05:38 AM
the entire 'LMA refuses to play center' is getting old.

Whether people realize it or not, he played his share of de facto center, even the 82games stats can be deceiving. He played center during games. I noticed it re-watching the 2014 series against the Spurs: he played center in stretches. You can notice it in crunch times of games: he played center. He played plenty of 'center' when he was the biggest guy for the Blazers.

But even more important than that to me is that, while some stats may not show, is that he took a lot of punishment because he was defended by centers, even if he was on the court with Lopez or Kaman. Look no further than the Spurs where Splitter was key to defending him. Anyone who watches highlights of the games against Houston in the 2014 playoffs can see who was guarding him: Dwight Howardand Omer Asik. And Aldridge spent time checking Howard.

There are so many individual game Aldridge highlight videos from this past year that show it. Against the Clippers, sure, he was guarded by Griffin, but also checked a lot by Jordan. At Denver before the Mozgov trade? Faried couldn't handle him, so he was guarded by Mozgov. At Cleveland after the Mozgov trade? It was Mozgov who was spent the fourth quarter and crunch time against him. Horford spent time on him. Tyson Chandler spent time on him. Seemingly every big in the league who was a good defender took turns whether they were power forwards or not Bogut. Marc Gasol. Etc.

If there's a bad defensive match-up that other teams have, they're going to have a much harder time hiding him against Tim Duncan than Robin Lopez. I expect easier match-ups than Aldridge has ever had before and maybe even less pounding and physical toll on his body even though he'll be with Duncan, Diaw and West rather than Lopez, Kaman and Leonard.

devindixen
08-27-2015, 06:08 AM

Whether people realize it or not, he played his share of de facto center, even the 82games stats can be deceiving. He played center during games. I noticed it re-watching the 2014 series against the Spurs: he played center in stretches. You can notice it in crunch times of games: he played center. He played plenty of 'center' when he was the biggest guy for the Blazers.

But even more important than that to me is that, while some stats may not show, is that he took a lot of punishment because he was defended by centers, even if he was on the court with Lopez or Kaman. Look no further than the Spurs where Splitter was key to defending him. Anyone who watches highlights of the games against Houston in the 2014 playoffs can see who was guarding him: Dwight Howardand Omer Asik. And Aldridge spent time checking Howard.

There are so many individual game Aldridge highlight videos from this past year that show it. Against the Clippers, sure, he was guarded by Griffin, but also checked a lot by Jordan. At Denver before the Mozgov trade? Faried couldn't handle him, so he was guarded by Mozgov. At Cleveland after the Mozgov trade? It was Mozgov who was spent the fourth quarter and crunch time against him. Horford spent time on him. Tyson Chandler spent time on him. Seemingly every big in the league who was a good defender took turns whether they were power forwards or not Bogut. Marc Gasol. Etc.

If there's a bad defensive match-up that other teams have, they're going to have a much harder time hiding him against Tim Duncan than Robin Lopez. I expect easier match-ups than Aldridge has ever had before and maybe even less pounding and physical toll on his body even though he'll be with Duncan, Diaw and West rather than Lopez, Kaman and Leonard.

I think when players say they don't want to play Center, it means they don't want to have to defend and box out centers. Not that they don't want to be defended by centers.

milkyway21
08-27-2015, 09:31 AM
I think when players say they don't want to play Cent, it means they don't want to have to defend and box out centers. Not that they don't want to be defended by centers.

Duncan will be the starter @center next season.

I am so excited to know about how Aldridge have improved his long range shot. If he'd br successful next season, I think Green's FGAs from there will go down and he will instead be used more in perimeter defense.

Speaking of Green, he's in the Philippines along with Faried for the NBA's 3x, conducting basketball clinics..etc for
The kids He just said to CNN Phils., the Warriors are still the team to beat, and the Spurs are just good on paper. For now.Very humble.:tu

hater
08-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Lol the Cavs are the team to beat. Pushed the worriers to 6 games without 2 of their big 3.

bigfan
08-27-2015, 10:10 AM
I think its a pretty good article and brings up some good points but I also think LMA be the one adapting to the Spurs system. The Spurs put system above individual every time and wont change now.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Duncan is 40, I don't expect him to do more than say, McDyess (in his final year) honestly

hater
08-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Duncan is 40, I don't expect him to do more than say, McDyess (in his final year) honestly

:lol that would mean we are 2nd round fodder.

Duncan does things that not even LMAlpha can do in his first year as a spur. His D in irreplaceable and so is his passing and clutchness

I hope Duncan can perform as good as a 2005 Robert Horry for Spurs. Or we are toast. Stand no chance in hell

Dex
08-27-2015, 11:47 AM
:lol that would mean we are 2nd round fodder.

Duncan does things that not even LMAlpha can do in his first year as a spur. His D in irreplaceable and so is his passing and clutchness

I hope Duncan can perform as good as a 2005 Robert Horry for Spurs. Or we are toast. Stand no chance in hell

I would have no problem with Timmy taking a ride in the Horry role this season. Especially if he shows up for the playoffs like he did against the Clippers, he can coast as much as he wants throughout this season while LMA gets acclimated.

daledondale
08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
I would have no problem with Timmy taking a ride in the Horry role this season. Especially if he shows up for the playoffs like he did against the Clippers, he can coast as much as he wants throughout this season while LMA gets acclimated.
He will show in playoffs. If we keep fresh Manu and Tim in RS, they will be gold in playoffs.

wildbill2u
08-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Most teams, coaches and fans would love to have our "problem" of working LMA, an All-Star quality player, into the lineup because we have so many other great options. Are people crazy?

THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN.

hater
08-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Except we don't have many other great options.

Is LMAlpha or bust

Fireball
08-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Most teams, coaches and fans would love to have our "problem" of working LMA, an All-Star quality player, into the lineup because we have so many other great options. Are people crazy?

THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN. Totally agree ... still two months before the fun starts though

dweaver99027
08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
He'll get his touches and he'll score. He was never a black hole and always a good and willing passer. He'll get his 20ppg with more efficiency than in Portland, and the ball will still move even if the set is initiated from the low post. These writers are milking summer stories out of every quote.

Spur|n|Austin
08-27-2015, 03:33 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rJHxCTlkLbg/U1-_OgWXHeI/AAAAAAAAASI/KdWcG19TiKc/s1600/Turrible.png

BillMc
08-27-2015, 05:29 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rJHxCTlkLbg/U1-_OgWXHeI/AAAAAAAAASI/KdWcG19TiKc/s1600/Turrible.png

+1

Silver&Black
08-27-2015, 05:31 PM

+1

+2

milkyway21
08-27-2015, 05:32 PM

THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN.

True :D

How many times Pop changed his lineup in the Duncan era but still the Spurs won over 50 games each season ?
Well, he said the only hindrance for the Spurs to reach its goal is health. And I agree with that, considering Duncan's age.
I am wondering who'd play center if he sits.
Or if that replacement will be effective.

milkyway21
08-27-2015, 05:34 PM

:

:tu

GSH
08-27-2015, 10:55 PM

The bigs who manage to stay around a long time have always had to find other ways to score. I liked McDyess, but at the end he didn't do a lot of scoring inside. He had developed that mid-range shot, and that was most of his scoring. Tim has always had a respectable mid-range game, but the last couple of years it dropped of some. But his Shooting % from 10 feet and in was as good as it has ever been. If LMA really does get doubled, Tim is going to destroy defenses inside. He'll have people talking about first team All-Star votes.

On the defensive end, Tim is still a bad sonofabitch. His defense against the two beasts the Clippers threw at him was nothing short of heroic. There's no question who's going to be guarding opposing C's.

Sean Cagney
08-28-2015, 01:57 AM

He is still light years ahead of Dyess SA version even at damn near 40.... Horrible comparison.

Agloco
08-28-2015, 10:27 AM

That would mean a very steep drop off this year. His trajectory over the past 4 years suggests otherwise.

Darius McCrary
08-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Moore is a douche, he doesn't like the Spurs

UNT Eagles 2016
08-28-2015, 01:30 PM
He is still light years ahead of Dyess SA version even at damn near 40.... Horrible comparison.
All I was saying ITT is that TD will have a steep drop off in offensive production due to LMA being the featured big. No more 4-downs for TD when LMA is in the game. I'm not denying TD will continue to shoot a high percentage and be a great finisher at the rim when he gets opportunities. I'm just saying he'll take on more of a "garbage man/finisher" role as the 2nd big, like an Elson, Kurt Thomas, David, or the aforementioned McDyess.

Kool Bob Love
08-28-2015, 03:00 PM

Holy shit. You need to be slap in the face. Srs.

Sean Cagney
08-28-2015, 05:15 PM
All I was saying ITT is that TD will have a steep drop off in offensive production due to LMA being the featured big. No more 4-downs for TD when LMA is in the game. I'm not denying TD will continue to shoot a high percentage and be a great finisher at the rim when he gets opportunities. I'm just saying he'll take on more of a "garbage man/finisher" role as the 2nd big, like an Elson, Kurt Thomas, David, or the aforementioned McDyess.
Yes but he will be so much more efficient than those guys, he was just an all star last year. I agree his numbers will go down on the O end and he can play a different role now but I never doubt Tim and am never shocked when he comes out and has a great year when you expect him to fall off some. Those guys were strictly role players by the end of their careers on limited mins, Tim can still play at a high level on any night.

Russ
08-28-2015, 07:36 PM

Will LMA boycott when he needs to switch? Stage a one-person sit-down strike? Call TD a "scab" for taking on the center?

SAGirl
08-28-2015, 09:55 PM
It is a good article presenting facts and an opinion from different angles. The Spurs are changing, but they had to. Pop has adapted and adjusted the system and the roles before, and over the years, to emphasize the strengths of the team. In retrospect, it kind of has been his most noteworthy achievement aside from the championships. In the past Spurs made small tweaks and changes in personnel to supplement and add to what the big 3 did or to hide their weaknesses, because that was all that was needed. That was no longer going to cut it. They had planned for years the agents they could go after and had decided to go forward with Kawhi as a centerpiece, but they would need a quality big man to play the style they wanted to play. They were in fact very proactive going after someone they liked and had a realistic chance to sign, instead of waiting for Timmy and Manu to finally fall off a cliff and retire to move ahead. Kawhi was not going to carry the team on his own. To be a true contender you need more than one star and unless the spurs headed to the draft or a trade, a free agent was the only way.

The focus has been on Lamarcus this off-season because he is the new guy, but had he not been signed the issue would have been Kawhi's max contract, his featured role, and his all-star and MVP ambitions. The point is the Spurs were changing regardless. Father time was knocking on the door at times last year and he's gotten a reprieve, but eventually he will get what is owed to him. It feels odd to say it, by the Spurs may very well go as far as Lamarcus and Kawhi take them. This year they have the old big 3 to help them get the final prize, but there will be new guys on the team that need to gel. The old big 3 will be rested for games and this is their time. Lamarcus has already been a star and can ease the transition into the Spurs future. When Kawhi comes into his own apex as a player, Timmy and Manu will likely have retired, but Lamarcus will be around so hopefully it is a good start for both guys together.

By the way I believe the criticism coming out of Portland is meant to prop up Lillard, the star they did retain. Lamarcus had already given 9 years to Portland and had been through 2 rebuilds there. Heading into this season was another possible rebuild, since the tweaks they made did not raise the team's ceiling much particularly after the Wes Matthews injury. In my mind, Lamarcus simply reached the point in his career where if he is going to compete for a championship, it needs to be now and that was not going to happen in Portland, but of course, the Portland press was not going to report things that way. By the way Lillard's whining and complaining for being left out of the all-star game last year lowered his status in my eyes. He was ultimately chosen for the very last spot to replace someone, but he came accross as whiny and pedantic.

apalisoc_9
08-28-2015, 09:59 PM
I don't understand why spursfans are so offended at the idea that Aldridge would be the featured big not TD..