PDA

View Full Version : Elliott warns of anti-inflammatories

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Elliott warns of anti-inflammatories
By Terry Vandrovec, The Forum
Published Thursday, September 15, 2005

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=103070&section=Sports

Although Sean Elliott displayed the touch of a surgeon during 12 seasons in the NBA and wore No. 32 in homage to Dr. J, he’s not a real doctor.

But he’s been poked, prodded and pinched into becoming more medically savvy than the average television physician, as demonstrated during a candid presentation sponsored by MeritCare Wednesday night at the Ramada Plaza Suites. And the 37-year-old is convinced overuse of anti-inflammatory drugs contributed to developing a kidney disease, needing a replacement and becoming, in 2000, the first athlete to play in any of the four major professional leagues following an organ transplant.

“I came into an NBA culture where I saw guys pop 800 milligrams of Motrin before the game – before the game – so it would help them recover,” said Elliott, who ranks in the top 10 in San Antonio Spurs history in 3-pointers, points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. “And that’s a very dangerous practice.”

Even though 800 milligrams is less than the maximum allowable daily dose for an adult

Knees hurt, pop a pill. Back aches, pop a pill. Pain flares up, pop a pill. It was a practice familiar to Elliott – whose condition also was affected by a family history of hypertension – and a practice that apparently is growing nationally.

MeritCare nephrologist Dr. Adit Mahale said 600,000 Americans will have kidney disease by 2010, at least in part due to the popularity of prescribed and over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs that can damage small blood vessels. The problem is increasing in athletes, too, Mahale said, if only because they’re a cross section of society.

Other NBA stars have made medical news since Elliott’s recovery. Alonzo Mourning resumed his career after a transplant, Shaquille O’Neal avoided the drugs for nearly one year, and Rick Fox used his Web site to publicize the dangers associated with overuse.

Of course, if the response has been that widespread, how large might the problem be?

“If you were to ask me a percentage of overuse not only within the athletic, but the general population, over the counter is a fairly high percentage,” North Dakota State head athletic trainer Scott Woken said. “There’s no documented studies with that. We can tell you exactly how much they take when they’re with us, but you don’t know what goes on outside.”

Although he can’t write prescriptions, Woken is allowed to dispense over-the-counter drugs such as Ibuprofen. However, the stock is kept out of sight in a locked cabinet and doses are meticulously charted. Players have been directed to end use based on the results of blood tests.

Trainers for high school teams are even further restricted.

“We can’t give it out to the minors, but we can advise and make sure they make the right decision,” said Brad Reed, for the past nine years a certified athletic trainer at Moorhead High School. “We say make sure you follow the directions on the bottle for you age group.”

In other words, they try to discourage the idea that if two is good four is better.

Moderation is the key.

“If you take it once in a while it’s a different issue,” MericCare’s Mahale said, “but if you’re taking it every day for many years, it definitely can cause problems.”

The 6-foot-8 Elliott hopes a sprinkling of speaking appearances through his role with the National Kidney Foundation can heighten awareness.

“I’m very proud of that,” said the former University of Arizona star, now a color commentator for Spurs television broadcasts. “I’m proud of the fact that I was able too come back and play after my surgery and that inspired a lot of people. I doubt that Alonzo would have tried it had I not tried it, and there will be future players – it’s inevitable – that will suffer the same fate and hopefully they’ll find something from it.”

Trainwreck2100
09-15-2005, 02:31 AM
http://www.cineybso.com/fotos%20articulos/Tom%20Cruise%202%20caras/tom%20cruise%20principal.jpg[IMG]

Drugs are BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Trainwreck2100
09-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Not that i'm comparing the two in hatred of drug factor, cause Cruise is just weird. I agree that any Drug you inject in your system like it's food should come back and haunt you, after years of use, that's alot of build up in your body.

AFE7FATMAN
09-15-2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks Sean for speaking out.

Solid D
09-15-2005, 05:53 AM
800 mg. That's 4 Motrin. It can also cause stomach bleeding if not taken with food.

boutons
09-15-2005, 06:46 AM
and basketball is a "non-contact" sport. :)

I expect the NFL aond NHL to be two of the drug industry's (legal and illegal) best customers.

101A
09-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Back-Aches, Sore Knees, Tennis Elbow, Headaches, etc....my family has bought Ibuprofen by the bucket-full at Sam's for a decade; got to reconsider the therapy.

missmyzte
09-15-2005, 08:31 AM
My doctor had me on anti-inflammatories for years and I actually talked to him about the dangers, specifically in regards to what happened with Elliott and Zo. My doctor said it wasn't the anti-inflammatories alone that did the damage, it was the dosage they took along with everything else they were taking (hinting at steroids, though I don't believe that with Sean). I still stopped taking them and have been fine.

ObiwanGinobili
09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
wasn;t that drug the Coyote was on an antiinflamatory??
or am i confused?

boutons
09-15-2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA080705.1R.VioxxinSA.1bf62ed4.html

He took some Vioxx for 2 years. Tough shit Tim he lives in TX, because if he ever gets any money from Merck, it will be chopped by Repub tort laws that protect the corps.

That lady who recentlly won $229M against Merck in the first Vioxx trial had it reduced by Repub tort law to $1.65M, a mere hand-slap for Merck for causing a death. Merck's after-tax profits are on the order of $5B. That's Repugnant. Merck has been, will continue to be be campaign contributor to Repugs.

BigVee
09-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm on this forum to discuss Spurs basketball, not to read your poitical opinion.

boutons
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
"I'm on this forum to discuss Spurs basketball"

Then skip threads on drugs.

2pac
09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm on this forum to discuss Spurs basketball, not to read your poitical opinion.

Boutons has never been smart enough to figure that out.

Merck gave $600,000 to all politicians combined in 2004. That's a million less than Pfizer. The Teamsters gave $2,000,000 to democrats in 2004. Lawyers gave $135mm to dems. What about the gambling industry funnelling over $6mm to the dems? I guess you dont care about any of those crooks.

2pac
09-15-2005, 10:15 AM
BTW: I generally took 4-5 advil before my HS and college games and often as much or more after. Sometimes got a cortizone shot when things were really bad. I see a huge difference in my play when I do and dont.

I gave up playing all sports (grudgingly) for two years to let my body heal. Its still not there, but I am weaning my way back in.

Jekka
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I took anti-inflammatories for tension headaches all the time my freshman year in college - up until it thinned my blood to the point where I was bruising everywhere without any kind of sufficient impact (my mom saw my legs and said I looked like I'd played a violent game of field hockey). They really are more of a threat to your system than most people think when you use them more than just occasionally. I can imagine how adverse it would be to someone who makes a living out of how well their body performs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I've got pretty shitty ankles, but even then I try to avoid taking anything for them. Frankly medical science has gotten to the point where there's a good chance that any given day you're going to find out that everything in your house is causing you cancer. If I can avoid putting anything in my body I will. Which is not to say that Brooke Shields doesn't have the right to use medication to combat post partem depression...

GoSpurs21
09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
wore No. 32 in homage to Dr. J
somebody explain this to me, I thought Dr J wore 6 for both Nets and Sixers

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 01:37 PM
My doctor said it wasn't the anti-inflammatories alone that did the damage, it was the dosage they took along with everything else they were taking (hinting at steroids, though I don't believe that with Sean).

That's not an unsual thought from your doctor. Many people do believe that some steroid use was the problem for both Sean and Alonzo, not merely the anti-inflammatories.

Dre_7
09-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Duh! Of course Sean used steriods! Look at him! He was huge! :lol

waly.mg
09-15-2005, 03:26 PM
and basketball is a "non-contact" sport. :)

I expect the NFL aond NHL to be two of the drug industry's (legal and illegal) best customers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/3864219.stm

Sunday, 4 July, 2004

Lomu has kidney transplant

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu underwent a kidney transplant in Auckland, New Zealand, on Tuesday.
"It is too early to comment on the success of the transplant," said his doctor John Mayhew.

Lomu received a kidney from a live donor after 10 years of dealing with a serious kidney disorder.

The 29-year-old has not played for a year but has said that if the operation is a success he wants to try and make the 2007 World Cup.

"Surgeons confirm that the operation went according to plan and Jonah is in a stable condition," said Mayhew.
"We do not expect to be in position to comment on the success of the transplant for at least three months, at which time we will have a better picture of how Jonah's new kidney is functioning."

Lomu was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome in 1996, although the winger continued playing for the All Blacks until 2002.

Jonah Lomu is in Rugby like O.J. Simpson or Jerry Rice in American Football and a National Hero of New Zealand

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t641/T641783A.jpg

boutons
09-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Did Jonah ever say he had taken steroids?

waly.mg
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
If you write ( jonah lomu steroids) in google there are 9.490 pages about that

Prednisolone news articles - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Jonah Lomu considering overseas rugby contracts Aug 20, 2005 ... Scientists have
now found that the steroid drug prednisolone can dramatically cut the ...
www.mongabay.com/drugs/drugs/Prednisolone.html - 38k - En caché - Páginas similares

Keo.co.za - [ Traduzca esta página ]
The last time I checked, taking an anabolic steroid without prescription was ...
Now compare a fully fit Jonah Lomu against someone like say - Breyton. ...
blog.keo.co.za/archives/2005/03/jail_rugbys_ste.php - 29k - En caché - Páginas similares

Khaleej Times Online - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Jonah Lomu, 30, was the youngest All Blacks player at 19 and became one of the
... to help me get better, I was taking steroids — not anabolic steroids, ...
66.132.136.245/.../weekend/2005/June/ weekend_June37.xml&section=weekend&col= - Resultado Suplementario - Páginas similares

Sport Weblog - 19/02/2004: the drugs might work . ABC Grandstand. - [ Traduzca esta página ]
... I just assume their liver failed from injecting too many steroids or that their ... drugs
in sport, and as a consequence, as a simple example, Jonah Lomu faces the ...
abc.net.au/sport/blog/items/s1048649.htm - 14k - Resultado Suplementario - En caché - Páginas similares

solution-jonah-lomu-rugby
... RESIGN Arrêter le jeu REVEAL MAP Dévoile la carte STEROIDS Construire rapidement ...
Sur cet écran solution-jonah-lomu-rugby tapez IZQNNQSEE (clavier AZERTY). ...
solution-jonah-lomu-rugby.solutionsplaystation.biz/ - 101k - Resultado Suplementario - En caché - Páginas similares

Sparc.org.nz - Enews - [ Traduzca esta página ]
... Contract releases for high-profile players Jonah Lomu and Leon MacDonald have ... Scientist
suspects many athletes are using undetected steroids>> Don Catlin, the ...
www.sparc.org.nz/publications/ enews/enews_24_october_2003.php - 27k - Resultado Suplementario - En caché - Páginas similares

Ask an XPAT: Speaker's Corner - NO SHOULDER TACKLING ALLOWED - [ Traduzca esta página ]
"I don't recommend steroids for everyone and I don't recommend growth hormones
for everyone," Canseco tells ... Jonah Lomu isn't even the best Rugby player. ...
hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/ speakerscorner/threads/54909.asp - 77k - En caché - Páginas similares

Rugby 2004 (pc: (2003)) - [ Traduzca esta página ]
... Ready to Scrum: All the top players in the world, from Jonah Lomu to Jonny ... Think
"Madden NFL Football" minus the pads, steroids, and senile announcer, mate. ...
www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/rugby2004/ - 65k - Resultado Suplementario - En caché - Páginas similares

Move to Thwart the Genetic Cheats, The World Health Network - Anti ... - [ Traduzca esta página ]
Jonah Lomu would look like Ronnie Corbett. Science fiction? ... analgesics, and
steroids, through beta blockers and human growth hormone to blood-boosting ...
www.worldhealth.net/p/349,1399.html - 36k - En caché - Páginas similares

Times Online - Sunday Times - [ Traduzca esta página ]
... Jonah Lomu was the perfect physical specimen. ... have to keep taking two types of
steroid-based medicines. ... Mayhew, the All Black team doctor and Lomu’s personal ...
www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1367615,00.html - Resultado Suplementario - Páginas similares

Solid D
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
wore No. 32 in homage to Dr. J
somebody explain this to me, I thought Dr J wore 6 for both Nets and Sixers

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/360-drj002a.jpg http://www.remembertheaba.com/VirginiaMaterial/ErvingAngryProfile.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
09-15-2005, 04:21 PM
http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t641/T641783A.jpg

:wow look at those thighs......... :P

Solid D
09-15-2005, 04:24 PM
One other note on the #32 question. When Julius Erving moved from the ABA to the NBA, the Philadelphia 76ers had just retired Billy Cunningham's jersey #32.

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/retired_cunningham.jpg

samikeyp
09-15-2005, 04:25 PM
He didn't wear 32 with Philly because it was retired for Billy Cunningham. 3X2=6

missmyzte
09-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Duh! Of course Sean used steriods! Look at him! He was huge! :lol
My point exactly. :lol

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 11:10 PM
My point exactly. :lol

Sean actually went from being super skinny to strong all in one summer back in the day and was abnormally large (for his size) in the neck/shoulders area. A lot of people at the time thought that he had used steroids that summer.

waly.mg
09-16-2005, 09:15 AM
I doubt he slashes quite like O.J.

Take it easy, that man played like O.J. and Jerome Bettis at the same time

He´s too high like 6´6", and probably 250 pounds and he run like Carl Lewis

I never saw in any sport a man like him

In the All Blacks he play the Wing position (probably the Wide receiver position in Rugby), in this position only the fastest players can play, and sometimes when the team is 5 yards left, he play in the 8 Position as a Foward, like Warren Sapp