PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs "Big Three" (as said by Spurs/NBA fans)

UNT Eagles 2016
09-07-2015, 07:07 PM
is Duncan, Kawhi, and Aldridge (in no particular order). Correct?

honestfool84
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Why does it matter?

K...
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
The big three died like in 2012. Your staining a poor metaphor

UNT Eagles 2016
09-07-2015, 07:19 PM
The big three died like in 2012. Your staining a poor metaphor
"big three" has been around in SA since around 2004 – 2005, and it really became popular around the NBA when Garnett and Allen first went to Boston. It was used last year for the Cavaliers' Lebron/Kyrie/Love. I don't think it's "dead" -- at all.

Silver&Black
09-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Why does it matter?

It doesn't....

K...
09-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah, big 3 is a marketing term. But for us it needs a moratorium since we're not getting that magic of an all time center and two non ego heavy guards anytime soon.

Maybe, maybe, naturally a big three will happen, but probably not. It'll probably be Duncan, k, green on d and lma, green, Tony on O

BillMc
09-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Why does it matter?

It doesn't....

Bingo. :flag:

YGWHI
09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Maybe, maybe, naturally a big three will happen, but probably not. It'll probably be Duncan, k, green on d and lma, green, Tony on O

Now Kawhi is a worse scorer than Danny? Most people think Kawhi is a more versatile scorer than Green, but not K...

"Kawhi excels at making star-type plays in a variety of different ways. He can grab a defensive rebound and take off for down the court, he can finish plays above the rim in transition, he can knock down catch-and-shoot jumpers, he can pound defenders in the post, he can hit a face-up jumper in isolation, and he’s proficient in simple pick-and-roll plays"

HemisfairArena
09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Many would argue that Pop is one of the big 3,,,,

YGWHI
09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
"big three" has been around in SA since around 2004 – 2005, and it really became popular around the NBA when Garnett and Allen first went to Boston. It was used last year for the Cavaliers' Lebron/Kyrie/Love. I don't think it's "dead" -- at all.

Not dead. Also the new Big 3 of LeBron, Irving and Love get a lot of hype, but they aren't better than Miami Big 3 with LeBron-Wade-Bosh.

YGWHI
09-07-2015, 08:45 PM
New Spurs Big3 >>Cavs Big 3
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLr-3pgWgAADOjD.jpg:large

tholdren
09-07-2015, 08:55 PM
The Big Three, to real SA fans, will always be Duncan/Ginobili/Parker. Any other trash you are putting in there like a finals and playoff chokers are not Big Three. Those 2 would be the new sales pitch. Will probably have to win a couple games to be considered a duo or trio of any sort.

apalisoc_9
09-07-2015, 08:58 PM
New Spurs Big3 >>Cavs Big 3
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLr-3pgWgAADOjD.jpg:large

Meh..TD is leader of this team and Leonard is the best player..Either TD or Leonard in the middle.

YGWHI
09-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Any other trash you are putting in there like a finals and playoff chokers are not Big Three. Those 2 would be the new sales pitch.
As a real Spurs fan, I wouldn't call "finals and playoff chokers" the most exciting free agents no named Lebron in the market this off-season, the biggest free agents the Spurs have signed in their history.
Also Kawhi was drafted by the Spurs so why "new sales pitch".

Will probably have to win a couple games to be considered a duo or trio of any sort.
Don't worry, they will.

YGWHI
09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Meh..TD is leader of this team and Leonard is the best player..Either TD or Leonard in the middle.

While they win a ring together I don't care about middle.

The best player? Kawhi lets his game speak for him, his great overall performances next season will do the rest.

gospursgojas
09-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Bonner, Anderson, Williams

K...
09-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Jimmer, boban, and mills

Spurs 4 The Win
09-07-2015, 10:15 PM
We have a Big 3 (TD, Leonard, Aldridge) and then another slightly less effective Big 4 (Tony, Manu, Green, West) imo
Which just goes to show why we are so stacked

Kool Bob Love
09-07-2015, 10:21 PM
The Big Three, to real SA fans, will always be Duncan/Ginobili/Parker. Any other trash you are putting in there like a finals and playoff chokers are not Big Three. Those 2 would be the new sales pitch. Will probably have to win a couple games to be considered a duo or trio of any sort.

we go as far as DPG take us. :flag:

With LMAlpha co staring. :lobt2:

TheGreatYacht
09-07-2015, 10:45 PM
we go as far as DPG take us. :flag:

With LMAlpha co staring. :lobt2:
This. Tbh

Clipper Nation
09-07-2015, 10:53 PM
that magic of an all time center and two non ego heavy guards anytime soon.

Huh? Duncan, Manu, and MVPatty are all still on the team.

T_L_P
09-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Tim/Manu/Horry in 05

Tim/Manu/Parker in 07

Tim/Kawhi/Green in 14

Tim/Kawhi/Aldridge this year

Chinook
09-08-2015, 06:19 AM
I was going to post saying that this year's Big Three isn't that important, since it's a transition year. What would be interesting to see is who the Big Three are next year or the following year. Then I was going to say that Green is the third member of that Big Three unless the Spurs sign a high-caliber player with the almost $15 Million in cap space they could stand to have next off-season.

Then, I actually looked at the potential free agents next off-season, and I realized there weren't many that would make sense AND fit that budget. The only one I could see would be Batum, who would be great as a utility player off the bench and who would probably have a ton of interest in the Spurs with Tony, LMA and Diaw if he's kept. But he's certain to get more than the Spurs can offer.

Am I missing someone who could be in play for next July? Maybe Chandler or Gallo from Denver. But hoping the band comes back and opening up a max slot in 2017 might be the better option.

kaji157
09-08-2015, 09:35 AM
The only Big 3 is the one that won 34 rings together.
The others are the 3 best players on the team right now.

UNT Eagles 2016
09-08-2015, 11:39 AM
We have a Big 3 (TD, Leonard, Aldridge) and then another slightly less effective Big 4 (Tony, Manu, Green, West) imo
Which just goes to show why we are so stacked
I would put Boris Horry over West. West is just a slightly better Prime Malik Rose at this stage of his career.

Mal
09-08-2015, 12:01 PM
There no is no big 3 anymore. Same for Twin Towers.

dabom
09-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Tim/Manu/Horry in 05

Tim/Manu/Parker in 07

Tim/Kawhi/Green in 14

Tim/Kawhi/Aldridge this year

Manu instead of green in 2014.

SPURt
09-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Manu instead of green in 2014.
That game 5 was my favorite game from Manu's career. He was killing them.

Kawhitstorm
09-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Then, I actually looked at the potential free agents next off-season, and I realized there weren't many that would make sense AND fit that budget. The only one I could see would be Batum, who would be great as a utility player off the bench and who would probably have a ton of interest in the Spurs with Tony, LMA and Diaw if he's kept. But he's certain to get more than the Spurs can offer.

Am I missing someone who could be in play for next July? Maybe Chandler or Gallo from Denver. But hoping the band comes back and opening up a max slot in 2017 might be the better option.

Loul Deng seems like a pro-typical Spurs who could be signed to a reasonable contract. Who the PATFO go after will depend on how well the young players (Kyle/Ray/Boban/Simmons) develop but the wing position seem set w/ Danny/Kawhi signed to a long term contract. Maybe Deng can play alongside Kawhi to match-up w/ the Warriors if Diaw becomes a major defensive liability. Otherwise, if Tim retires then someone like Hibbert (considering he revives his career) would make sense alongside LMA. Kyle/Simmons could probably make up the loss of Manu along w/ Kawhi mitigating Parker's decline.

Maybe Parker/Diaw can recruit Noah but it seems like he's the outcast of the French national team & doesn't have that much comraderie w/ the rest of the frenchies.

SAGirl
09-10-2015, 06:32 PM
There is only the big 2 now. In time a 3rd player may emerge, but we are unlikely to fully recognize him as such until Tim and Manu retire. Right now there are too many good players to fill in the void. In time a young stud may emerge to lead the bench and compliment the big 2.

dunkman
09-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I have the impression Bowen was as important as Parker or Manu.

SpursBig3s
09-11-2015, 01:06 AM
I was going to post saying that this year's Big Three isn't that important, since it's a transition year. What would be interesting to see is who the Big Three are next year or the following year. Then I was going to say that Green is the third member of that Big Three unless the Spurs sign a high-caliber player with the almost $15 Million in cap space they could stand to have next off-season.

Even though it wouldn't happen, I would LOVE to get Joakim Noah (this is assuming Timmy retires). Perfect fit at the 5 IMO

Chinook
09-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Loul Deng seems like a pro-typical Spurs who could be signed to a reasonable contract. Who the PATFO go after will depend on how well the young players (Kyle/Ray/Boban/Simmons) develop but the wing position seem set w/ Danny/Kawhi signed to a long term contract. Maybe Deng can play alongside Kawhi to match-up w/ the Warriors if Diaw becomes a major defensive liability. Otherwise, if Tim retires then someone like Hibbert (considering he revives his career) would make sense alongside LMA. Kyle/Simmons could probably make up the loss of Manu along w/ Kawhi mitigating Parker's decline.

Maybe Parker/Diaw can recruit Noah but it seems like he's the outcast of the French national team & doesn't have that much comraderie w/ the rest of the frenchies.

I'd rather get no one than get Deng. First, I think the Spurs steer clear from him after what happened with Atlanta (even though that's not his doing). Second, he's clearly on the decline, and he doesn't have the game that ages well/meshes well with others. The reason why I like Batum so much for the team is because he's a good shooter, defender and passer. I'm not saying he'd replace Manu, but he's the closest thing to a free-agent replacement that I can see being available. I would definitely go after him hard next summer with the promise of a super-sub role getting 30-plus minutes at the 2-4 spots.

I could see Hibbert on a one-year make-good contract. The team might also want to go after Whiteside, as there's very little chance the team are going to be willing/able to offer even $15 Million to him next summer.

Chinook
09-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Even though it wouldn't happen, I would LOVE to get Joakim Noah (this is assuming Timmy retires). Perfect fit at the 5 IMO

Noah's not bad, but there's no way I see him coming over that cheaply unless he has a real dud of a season. Pau Gasol might be a free agent next summer, though. If Tim is gone, I'd be down with Pau for a bit.

Richie
09-11-2015, 07:09 AM
I dont see us getting any of the names mentioned. Timmy and Manu will be getting paid next year even if they aren't still here and almost every team will have more cap room than us.

I think the only chance we could possibly have at getting someone at a discount would be Batum with both the French connection and Aldridge, but I still don't think we'll have the money.

Chinook
09-11-2015, 07:41 AM
I dont see us getting any of the names mentioned. Timmy and Manu will be getting paid next year even if they aren't still here and almost every team will have more cap room than us.

I think the only chance we could possibly have at getting someone at a discount would be Batum with both the French connection and Aldridge, but I still don't think we'll have the money.

The Spurs COULD choose to have the money by stretching Manu/Tim if they retire rather than letting them slide off the books. That would save them like $6 Million in cap space. They could gain another $4-6 Million by cutting/stretching Diaw. I haven't done the Salary Thread in the TT yet, but $15 Million is a pretty good estimate on the amount of cap space the team can make if someone like Batum wants to join the team. You're right they won't have a ton of money compared to everyone else, but they will have enough to get a really good player if they want.

Richie
09-11-2015, 08:30 AM
The Spurs COULD choose to have the money by stretching Manu/Tim if they retire rather than letting them slide off the books. That would save them like $6 Million in cap space. They could gain another $4-6 Million by cutting/stretching Diaw. I haven't done the Salary Thread in the TT yet, but $15 Million is a pretty good estimate on the amount of cap space the team can make if someone like Batum wants to join the team. You're right they won't have a ton of money compared to everyone else, but they will have enough to get a really good player if they want.

Thats a great point I hadn't though of stretching Manu and Duncan. In that case by my calculations we'd have $12m assuming an $89m cap while keeping Diaw. Waiving Diaw would give us an extra $3.5m but if Duncan is retiring and we're losing West I don't see any way we waive Diaw to bring in a bench wing.

That number doesn't include West or Simmons. It's unlikely West comes back IMO, but if Simmons does well he likely will which would cost us an extra $300,000 or so. There's too much up in the air to do anything more than rough guesses. I think bringing over Mulitinov will be essential if Duncan retires just to get more size.

SAGirl
09-11-2015, 09:51 AM
When Tim retires signing a starting caliber center will be a necessity, probably a priority. Not sure if Milutinov will be ready for that so soon and I doubt it. Even if he looks like a potential NBA player, he would be a rook and too young. If BoBan emerges as an option he will need to be resigned. Batum would be redundant if Anderson emerges as a player. They are similar, with Batum being more athletic, but Anderson being a craftier player capable of getting his on shots. Batum will also likely get paid big if he has a good season. Wings of his profile already got paid big time this season. Say Anderson is not on Batum's level but improves his shooting. He is still a sophomore 22 yr old who barely played his rook season and made a leap in development his 2nd year. I think Batum would be redundant. Spurs will have to pay Ray if he also emerges as a good player or look for a quality guard somewhere. They traded for him, if he works out well in the system, they will likely want to keep him. I like Simmons and he could look like a nice pairing with Anderson. It may be that some of that cap space is spent on retaining the guys you have if they worked out well. I don't think we get a big one in the free agency market unless its a center bc BoBan did not work out.

Spurtacular
09-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Bird, McHale and Parrish are The Big Three. There are no others.

tholdren
09-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Bird, McHale and Parrish are The Big Three. There are no others.

The Spurs manu, tim, tony have many more playoff wins and 1 more ring than that 3, so you have a terrible take

Spurtacular
09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
The Spurs manu, tim, tony have many more playoff wins and 1 more ring than that 3, so you have a terrible take

Take the 80's C's and stick em in the 00's and it's all over...

Plus, they literally were The Big Three; Greatest Front Line Of All Time.

YGWHI
09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
When Tim retires signing a starting caliber center will be a necessity, probably a priority.

According to Richie numbers, keeping Diaw, the Spurs would have 12M...not enough to sign a quality big man.

SAGirl
09-14-2015, 09:28 PM
According to Richie numbers, keeping Diaw, the Spurs would have 12M...not enough to sign a quality big man.
Hopefully Boban will work out. Spurs will figure it out. If Boban doesn't work out, it's trouble if Tim retires. Whatever the team can spare I think will go to a big. D.west possibly here for the one season too. Anyway I just wanted to highlight the fact that just retaining the guys you have if they work out (Boban and Maccallum particularly) would eat up cap and from there on, whatever cap you have will get eaten up by a center if Boban is not a working solution. If all they can afford is mediocre big man, then you are right not even a quality big. I foresee a lot of small ball in the future post Tim and you would still want a center you can trust for some games.