PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't the Spurs signed Big Dog?

50 cent
09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
It doesn't sounds like he has gotten any offers and the Spurs need to pick up a 5th swingman. Glenn is perfect for this roll. Anybody know what gives. I think he can be had for the vet min at this point.

2pac
09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I am only posting here to have the two best signatures together.

2centsworth
too many head cases on one team will not be good. spurs are already going to have problems with Van Exel, especialy if Beno improves and beats Nick out for minutes.

Marcus Bryant
Maybe the vet min is too much for the Spurs.

ducks
09-15-2005, 11:39 AM
mb the league pays most of the vet min
they also have to have so many players
have the spurs signed the league min of players

Solid D
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
If I were Glenn, I'd wait right up until training camp to see if someone would pay more than the Vet. Minimum. If there were state taxes, that would also weigh in my decision.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 11:49 AM
If he sticks with the Spurs one more season then they'll have his Early Bird rights next summer. With Finley and NVE on 1 year deals, it would seem to make sense to at least keep Robinson around for the vet min.

50 cent
09-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Yours are bigger, but mine is hotter. :lol

50 cent
09-15-2005, 11:51 AM
If he sticks with the Spurs one more season then they'll have his Early Bird rights next summer. With Finley and NVE on 1 year deals, it would seem to make sense to at least keep Robinson around for the vet min.
Agree. He makes much more since for the 5th swingman at the vet min. than Devin did at $2.5 (really $5M).

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 11:53 AM
What if they don't do so because he will cost some foregone lux tax distributions? Will you come over to the dark side?

Solid D
09-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Interestingly valid point DeMarcus.

Have you ever noticed how Big Dog and Nicky V. have that same look on the court...I think it's that mischievous grin?

50 cent
09-15-2005, 11:56 AM
What if they don't do so because he will cost some foregone lux tax distributions? Will you come over to the dark side?
They have to have a minimum amount of players on the roster, so somebody is obviously going to have to be signed for the vet min. I believe the Spurs would go slightly over the luxury tax threshold for the right player. Devin is not that player with our current depth at his position and questionable health for an average player that could be replaced with numerous average SGs in the league for less.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Why sign an experienced 10+ year vet with a career 20 ppg scoring average when you can sign a rookie for the price of a rookie min contract?

50 cent
09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Why sign an experienced 10+ year vet with a career 20 ppg scoring average when you can sign a rookie for the price of a rookie min contract?
Why are you even a Spurs fan?

You know what model the ownership group operates under, yet you bitch and moan non-stop about it even though they have been one of the most successful franchises in pro sports since taking over the franchise without deviating from their business model.

Perhaps you would get more enjoyment out of being a fan of a team that has a free spending owner like the Mavericks or Blazers. Or do you just enjoy bitching?

JUUOT
09-15-2005, 12:07 PM
options still available:

SF
Kapono - Theron smith - Matt Barnes - Glenn

SG-SF
Winston - jacobsen - sanders

Winston and barnes came in SA for try-outs, sanders was one of the leader of the summer league and deserves a training camp invitation (at least) and we all know big dog
the 5th swing man is one of those...

i think barnes could potentially be a better answer to the aging line up than devin...

2centsworth
09-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Maybe the vet min is too much for the Spurs.
maybe it's too much for GRob seeing that no one else is offering.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Isn't this exactly what you're bitching about on the Devin Brown thread? Make up your mind.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
:rolleyes

What the fuck? Do you need sarcasm identified for you?

velik_m
09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
What does it matter who is 13th player?

I say get someone young.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
What the fuck? Do you need sarcasm identified for you?

Well for people as schizophrenic as you, I'd say yeah.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Why are you even a Spurs fan?

Because I am a basketball fan and am from San Antonio. That doesn't mean I have to cheer when guys in suits, not uniforms, make more cash by forcing bad basketball decisions.

You know what model the ownership group operates under, yet you bitch and moan non-stop about it even though they have been one of the most successful franchises in pro sports since taking over the franchise without deviating from their business model.

The model had been ownership keeping the hands off the basketball end of things and letting Pop guide things with assistance from RC, Presti and before, Schuler. Now ownership is interfering with the basketball end of things. That is not good, if you are a basketball fan and not a fan of the Spurs' income statement.

Perhaps you would get more enjoyment out of being a fan of a team that has a free spending owner like the Mavericks or Blazers. Or do you just enjoy bitching?

Actually, I get enjoyment out of seeing a team win. Perhaps you weren't paying attention when the Spurs didn't have perimeter talent to pay. Now is not the time for the Spurs to start losing talent. Especially when they are by no means set at that position past next season.

This isn't hard to understand. It was an awful basketball decision and all you can offer is 'but gollee, they've won some championships'.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 12:42 PM
maybe it's too much for GRob seeing that no one else is offering.

Maybe he is and the Spurs could have him back if ownership stopped meddling.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I think GRob might be waiting to sign with the first team that offers more than the minimum. Not sure he'll get it, but it is encouraging that he seems willing to ride the bench again.

Kori Ellis
09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
The Spurs probably want their fifth swingman to be younger than GRob. They have to get some youth on the bench, even if only to groom for later.

velik_m
09-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I think GRob might be waiting to sign with the first team that offers more than the minimum. Not sure he'll get it, but it is encouraging that he seems willing to ride the bench again.

I think GRob will sign somewhere where he'll actually play.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2005, 01:13 PM
I think GRob will sign somewhere where he'll actually play.Sure, and if someone pays him more than the minimum, they'll play him more.

I do agree the Spurs are looking toward youth now.

50 cent
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Because I am a basketball fan and am from San Antonio. That doesn't mean I have to cheer when guys in suits, not uniforms, make more cash by forcing bad basketball decisions.

The model had been ownership keeping the hands off the basketball end of things and letting Pop guide things with assistance from RC, Presti and before, Schuler. Now ownership is interfering with the basketball end of things. That is not good, if you are a basketball fan and not a fan of the Spurs' income statement.

Actually, I get enjoyment out of seeing a team win. Perhaps you weren't paying attention when the Spurs didn't have perimeter talent to pay. Now is not the time for the Spurs to start losing talent. Especially when they are by no means set at that position past next season.

This isn't hard to understand. It was an awful basketball decision and all you can offer is 'but gollee, they've won some championships'.
The owners and coaches didn't have to make any decisions on basketball personell because we only had Duncan and no other core. We then added Ginobili and Parker and inevitably, they had to be paid. The ownership group came through, even though it may have been reluctantly with Parker, and gave the core of the team long contracts that will put the Spurs at the top of the NBA for 5-6 years to come. They also added role players to this core that will place the Spurs in contention to win a Championship for many years to come.

So, since the Spurs have kept their core together and stayed within their business plan, you bitch 24/7 about the Spurs losing an average player that will never start ahead of the current SG, yet isn't big enough to take over for Bowen and guard opposing team's SFs.

Most fans of teams would love to the "problem" of having an ownership group let go of a fan favorite human victory cigar while managing to lock up the core of the team to long-term contracts that will make them championship contenders for the next 5-6 years.

kskonn
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't know man 2 pacs are pretty Hot, but I appreciate the effort by all.

I think they should go after someone young. Grob will not get time on the court anyway, might as well bring a young coachable guy to the team.

coopdogg3
09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
GRob could get some time at the 4 spot. He has gotten in slower and bigger with age, meaning he could be used at the 4 spot. He could probably find some minutes there. Of course then we would have Horry and GRob - two former SF turned PF spelling Duncan. I guess it could work.

coopdogg3

spurster
09-15-2005, 02:51 PM
The Spurs probably want their fifth swingman to be younger than GRob. They have to get some youth on the bench, even if only to groom for later.
Yeah, what she said.

Also, the Spurs probably want someone who will be happy with mainly garbage minutes.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 02:56 PM
The owners and coaches didn't have to make any decisions on basketball personell because we only had Duncan and no other core. We then added Ginobili and Parker and inevitably, they had to be paid. The ownership group came through, even though it may have been reluctantly with Parker, and gave the core of the team long contracts that will put the Spurs at the top of the NBA for 5-6 years to come. They also added role players to this core that will place the Spurs in contention to win a Championship for many years to come.

So, since the Spurs have kept their core together and stayed within their business plan, you bitch 24/7 about the Spurs losing an average player that will never start ahead of the current SG, yet isn't big enough to take over for Bowen and guard opposing team's SFs.

Most fans of teams would love to the "problem" of having an ownership group let go of a fan favorite human victory cigar while managing to lock up the core of the team to long-term contracts that will make them championship contenders for the next 5-6 years.

Most NBA owners would love the problem of matching a young guard like Devin Brown and ensuring that you have some youth in the swing rotation for the princely sum of $2.5 mil plus whatever small portion of the full lux tax distributions you wouldn't be getting.

Most NBA owners would love to have basketball ops people who perform as well as Pop, RC and Presti do and would stay out of their way.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 03:00 PM
The thing that is lost upon a number of posters here is that next summer the Spurs will be somewhat hamstrung by the cap when it comes to bringing back guys like NVE and Finley or bringing in someone new. They will have their mid-level exception, but if they use that then you can forget about Scola joining the team. With a decision on Mohammed coming by next offseason, if the Spurs let him go then they will need Scola on this team.

Some of you are patently or selectively blind to this reality. That's why retaining Brown was important. At least they would have had his full Bird Rights.

But, I know, it's always good for basketball to cut payroll.

ducks
09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
I think mb you have to realize what the spurs did signing finley
they KEPTED HIM FROM HEAT AND SUNS!

and if brown was so good why did not those 2 teams offer him a contract!

kskonn
09-15-2005, 03:12 PM
The thing that is lost upon a number of posters here is that next summer the Spurs will be somewhat hamstrung by the cap when it comes to bringing back guys like NVE and Finley or bringing in someone new. They will have their mid-level exception, but if they use that then you can forget about Scola joining the team. With a decision on Mohammed coming by next offseason, if the Spurs let him go then they will need Scola on this team.

Some of you are patently or selectively blind to this reality. That's why retaining Brown was important. At least they would have had his full Bird Rights.

But, I know, it's always good for basketball to cut payroll.

There is some truth to that statement. I do think a lot of people are forgetting that it will be tough to replace a finley or Van Exel at the price they are taking. I also think the spurs will Hit Luxury tax pretty heavy next year if they resign Nazr.

However that is all assuming that they do not trade Rasho and Barry for expiring contracts at somepoint this season, That would free up aroun 7-10 mil in cap room, is that correct?

50 cent
09-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Most NBA owners would love the problem of matching a young guard like Devin Brown and ensuring that you have some youth in the swing rotation for the princely sum of $2.5 mil plus whatever small portion of the full lux tax distributions you wouldn't be getting.

Most owners aren't as effective financially or from a basketball standpoint as the Spurs ownership group is and that is all that matters. That's why most owners are modeling the Spurs model and not the other way around. Your freespending idealogy of adding insurance players for a couple of million more here and there hasn't worked so well for most owners.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2005, 03:19 PM

Most NBA owners would love to have basketball ops people who perform as well as Pop, RC and Presti do and would stay out of their way.Most NBA owners are under the tax threshold now, so I'm not sure that's true. Moreover, Sacramento -- who is likely closest to us in respect to a combination of playoff contention and tax situation -- are letting two young players go. Maybe they'll get something for Darius, but they didn't for the very Devin-like Evans.

rayray2k8
09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Does anybody know who that girl is in 2pac's Sig?

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Most owners aren't as effective financially or from a basketball standpoint as the Spurs ownership group is and that is all that matters. That's why most owners are modeling the Spurs model and not the other way around. Your freespending idealogy of adding insurance players for a couple of million more here and there hasn't worked so well for most owners.

Which owners are modelling themselves after the Spurs?

The Spurs did develop 2nd and 3rd stars from low draft picks. That (along with the arena deal and the lux tax program) is what has made the Spurs' operations successful. But that comes from having good basketball people and supporting what they do, not limiting them.

Again, losing Brown clearly hurts their flexibility next offseason, not in 2010. The Spurs' window is about 3 to 4 years, not one.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 03:47 PM
There is some truth to that statement. I do think a lot of people are forgetting that it will be tough to replace a finley or Van Exel at the price they are taking. I also think the spurs will Hit Luxury tax pretty heavy next year if they resign Nazr.

However that is all assuming that they do not trade Rasho and Barry for expiring contracts at somepoint this season, That would free up aroun 7-10 mil in cap room, is that correct?

Not sure. They probably will need to shed more salary to get under the cap. If they kept Brown then that gives you a guy who can be your primary backup swing and you will have his full Bird rights. The Spurs will not have Finley's full Bird Rights next summer. They won't even have his Early Bird rights. Ditto for NVE. All they will be able to do is offer both a slight increase over their 2005-06 salaries.

If you keep Brown, then next summer you will have a solid guy to be your primary backup swing and you won't have to use the MLE. You can keep the MLE free for Scola.

What is going to be the best long term move for the Spurs is going to be if Oberto and Scola are good enough to be your starting center and primary backup big. That is what should matter, not whether you can shave a little expense now.

The more you look at this decision, the worse it looks.

Supergirl
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Spurs already have 13 players under contract - Duncan, Manu, Bowen, Parker, Nazr, Rasho, Beno, Van Exel, Finley, Barry, Horry, Fabri, Marks. Assuming Beno starts on the IR, that still only leaves the IR for anyone else they sign. Does the Big Dog want to sign with the Spurs if it means being on the IR? Why would he?

Solid D
09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Does the Big Dog want to sign with the Spurs if it means being on the IR? Why would he?

http://www.forum2010.org/images/drevil.gif

One Millllllion Dollars.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 04:04 PM
If they can keep Robinson, at least they will have additional (and needed) depth this season.

Solid D
09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
WARNING: Objects in your salary cap mirror may be larger than they appear!

50 cent
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Which owners are modelling themselves after the Spurs?

Former freespending Mark Cuban is one of them.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
So we have a singular.

kskonn
09-15-2005, 05:35 PM
The Trailblazers are modeling after the spurs. I am sure that the cavs front office will start to resemble some stuff from the spurs system. However I still feel that we can get just as good of talent as brown in the offseason if needed next year. There are a lot of 6'5 swingmen with upside in the league.

Marcus Bryant
09-15-2005, 05:41 PM
How many swingmen are available who can be the Spurs' primary backup swing and who the Spurs can nab when the MLE is going to Scola next summer?

ducks
09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
who says the spurs will keep scola
they can trade scola for a wing player if scola wants the full mle
NOT a hard concept

torpedo
09-15-2005, 07:40 PM

the bigger the hotter. :lol

Money316
09-15-2005, 08:19 PM

You're right; nice pair!
:fro :fro :fro

Money316
09-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Logic is a bitch!

Taking it to the Hole
09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Marcus, your basing your whole assumption on the Spurs even bringing Scola over nexy year and then saying that they will use the whole MLE on him. We don't know what the Spurs are planning for Scola? If his buyout is going to use up all their MLE, then they probably won't sign him. If anything right now, the Spurs have more financial flexibility and also the ability to pull off some trades. They are loaded with overseas talent and basically they are attracting quality guys to this team year in and year out, so I am not worried about talent not wanting to come here, because that isn't likely. You also have to remember, the Spurs could still pull the trigger on a trade midseason with Barry or Rasho, so it's not like they don't have options. I say, you can't get into the head of the FO, because only the FO knows what they are going to do.

CaptainLate
09-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Marcus, your basing your whole assumption on the Spurs even bringing Scola over nexy year and then saying that they will use the whole MLE on him. We don't know what the Spurs are planning for Scola?...They are loaded with overseas talent and basically they are attracting quality guys to this team year in and year out, so I am not worried about talent not wanting to come here, because that isn't likely.

They'll only be wanting to come as long as TDuncan is able to bring it and contend for a Title. That's 4-5 more yrs if he stays healthy. :angel