PDA

View Full Version : NBA: RIP "Chairman of the Boards"

absoloot66
09-13-2015, 09:13 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13645531/three-nba-mvp-moses-malone-dies-age-60

djohn2oo8
09-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Horrible news. RIP.

jsandiego
09-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Just saw this too. Guess no info on why he died? Probably the most underrated or under-reported superstar in history. 3 MVPs and was a beast by all accounts.
Was 1983 his only ring?

LittleCriminal
09-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Oh shit...i thought Carrot Top died..
Rip Mr Malone

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/157/MI0000157704.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

hitmanyr2k
09-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Just saw this too. Guess no info on why he died? Probably the most underrated or under-reported superstar in history. 3 MVPs and was a beast by all accounts.
Was 1983 his only ring?

Agreed.

"Fo Fo Fo" - R.I.P Moses.

baseline bum
09-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Oh man, that's terrible. One of my favorite NBA memories is being ballboy for a day when the Bullets came to town. I got to sit right under the basket, and man, Moses Malone looked like about the baddest motherfucker on Earth watching him fight for position on the block and under the glass from 5 feet away. I'll never forget what it was like to watch Moses work from that close. The NBA lost a true legend today. RIP Moses.

RsxPiimp
09-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Underrated talent, some people even have Moses over Duncan in the ATG list.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Fo Fo Fo!

Harry Callahan
09-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Moses was great, but Duncan brings a much more diverse game to the table than Moses did (especially on D). Stangely enough, Moses had very small hands and was only "only" 6'10". Moses could not pass very well, but he did not really have to. He could bull his was to the basket at will and had a really nice jumper too. His forte was OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS. He had long arms and a relentless drive when he played. Dr. J was lucky the 76ers stole Malone from Houston - otherwise he would have had zero instead of one NBA ring.

M Malone was a bad man in his prime......

60 years old is way too young to go.......

FWIW, Moses Malone makes Tim Duncan seem like an outgoing social butterfly. You see, Moses was not highly educated in a formal way (never went to college - went to a less than stellar school district for HS).

Some people referred to MM as "Mumbles". Yet, I've read where people who were around him said he was a street smart kind of person.

RsxPiimp
09-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Moses was great, but Duncan brings a much more diverse game to the table than Moses did (especially on D). Stangely enough, Moses had very small hands and was only "only" 6'10". Moses could not pass very well, but he did not really have to. He could bull his was to the basket at will and had a really nice jumper too. His forte was OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS. He had long arms and a relentless drive when he played. Dr. J was lucky the 76ers stole Malone from Houston - otherwise he would have had zero instead of one NBA ring.

FWIW, Moses Malone makes Tim Duncan seem like an outgoing social butterfly. You see, Moses was not highly educated in a formal way (never went to college - went to a less than stellar school district for HS).

Some people referred to MM as "Mumbles". Yet, I've read where people who were around him said he was a street smart kind of person.
I have Duncan ahead of Moses. But ambchang has heavily debated his take on Moses>Duncan in ATG list.

Calispursfan11
09-13-2015, 12:54 PM
One of the greatest. He will be missed.

ambchang
09-13-2015, 02:36 PM
I have Duncan ahead of Moses. But ambchang has heavily debated his take on Moses>Duncan in ATG list.

Moses is on the same tier as Duncan ,IMHO. Duncan was a way better defender and passer, but Moses just owns the boards. He was like this superstar who does all the dirty work, just the only superstar other than Russell to dominate the game by doing those little things that's supposed to be role player stuff.

Ask Kareem, he will tell you who was the only player to really dominate him during his prime.

Killakobe81
09-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Underrated by some overrated by others but a beast that would shit on every big in today's NBA ...even with modern dietary and training advances.

Killakobe81
09-13-2015, 06:47 PM

Great post

Ashy Larry
09-13-2015, 08:42 PM

pretty much on point. Lakers weren't beating at squad in 1983

DMC
09-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Prayers sent

Sean Cagney
09-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Moses is on the same tier as Duncan ,IMHO. Duncan was a way better defender and passer, but Moses just owns the boards. He was like this superstar who does all the dirty work, just the only superstar other than Russell to dominate the game by doing those little things that's supposed to be role player stuff.

Ask Kareem, he will tell you who was the only player to really dominate him during his prime.
Moses was a beast man, looking back at his stats and what he did shows he is one of the best to do it. I have Tim slightly above him but Moses is underrated when some talk about the all time greats IMO.

TheGreatYacht
09-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Rest in Peace Moses

Medvedenko
09-14-2015, 12:14 PM
It's a travesty that his jersey isn't retired by the sixers.

Killakobe81
09-14-2015, 12:20 PM

Wait, what?!!! That is crazy. As someone else pointed out without Moses Dr.J is Karl Malone mixed with Vince Carter ...

The Gemini Method
09-14-2015, 12:20 PM
First Chocolate Thunder then Moses :cry

Buddy Mignon
09-14-2015, 12:44 PM

You're kidding!!! What a shitty ass franchise not to retire his jersey.

baseline bum
09-14-2015, 12:49 PM

He was only there like 4 years before going to Washington. Malone bounced everywhere around the NBA and ABA.

Medvedenko
09-14-2015, 01:37 PM
He was only there like 4 years before going to Washington. Malone bounced everywhere around the NBA and ABA.

Yeah I know his tenure was short lived, however had very high points while being there, enough to warrant his jersey hanging in the rafters.

Killakobe81
09-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah I know his tenure was short lived, however had very high points while being there, enough to warrant his jersey hanging in the rafters.

He is a better player than plenty that have jerseys retired ... length of service with a team should be a part not only factor. Barkley didnt have an extremely long tenure in PHX or Philly but should have his jersey retired both places. Houston? Not so much ...