PDA

View Full Version : Grantland: How LaMarcus Aldridge Will Fit in With the Spurs

Uriel
09-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Tremendous article from the always terrific Zach Lowe. :toast

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-adjustment-bureau-how-lamarcus-aldridge-will-fit-in-with-the-spurs/

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-15-2015, 08:29 AM
As expected, an expert analysis by Zach Lowe. The only thing I disagreed was suggesting the Spurs have sacrificed significant corporate knowledge. All concerns are legit, both offensively and defensively. Aldridge is the key for both, depending on his play the Spurs could be a top 5 offense and/or a top 5 defense.

Mal
09-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Good article. No bias eitherway. Conclusion is like - WTF ? Are you kiddin me ? These are Spurs, coached by Pop and they have jump shooting all-star in his prime, here let me show you some examples on gifs.

Fireball
09-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Very interesting ... good that the season opener is getting closer

FromWayDowntown
09-15-2015, 11:03 AM
The part of the analysis that I was most interested to read is the notion of Aldridge/Diaw/West in combinations being able to space the floor enough to force bigs into real dilemmas about how to guard the paint and to create cutting and handoff opportunities for the Spurs wings to attack the rim without a domineering rim protector already in place.

I suspect we'll see a bit how this will work on opening night in OKC, but certainly one way to diffuse Ibaka's rim protection is to remove him to the greatest extent possible from the rim. If the Spurs have two bigs on the floor with legitimate range and they play both of them in a lifted position above the free throw line, Ibaka's got a dilemma; he can try to protect the rim by sagging off of a big man who can shoot or he can defend the big and help as he can on penetration. It's rarely that simple -- and Ibaka's a bad example of this because of his incredible athleticism and ability to recover quickly over huge swaths of court -- but I think the Spurs will try to force some teams to make that choice and see what they can get out of it. Even if they only manage to scramble a defense with cuts and ball movement after the cuts, it has the chance to should create some really good looks for someone.

spursistan
09-15-2015, 11:32 AM
At least Zach lowe bothers to break down his view in the long form. Hands down the best NBA Basketball writer around .He is not some twitter hack or click-baiting ESPN tool in the mold of strauss/Hassan

DPG21920
09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
I thought it was so interesting to hear how detailed RC is in his player evaluation. That goes well beyond a cursary undestanding. To hear RC lament the lack of rollers and the impact that has on the offense is pretty incredible to me and shows how much PATFO are on the same page on all levels.

peacemaker885
09-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Bottom line - we need TP to be TP.

BillMc
09-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Tremendous article from the always terrific Zach Lowe. :toast

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-adjustment-bureau-how-lamarcus-aldridge-will-fit-in-with-the-spurs/

Great article by the always well-researched Zach Lowe. Many thanks to the OP for posting.

The part of the analysis that I was most interested to read is the notion of Aldridge/Diaw/West in combinations being able to space the floor enough to force bigs into real dilemmas about how to guard the paint and to create cutting and handoff opportunities for the Spurs wings to attack the rim without a domineering rim protector already in place.

I suspect we'll see a bit how this will work on opening night in OKC, but certainly one way to diffuse Ibaka's rim protection is to remove him to the greatest extent possible from the rim. If the Spurs have two bigs on the floor with legitimate range and they play both of them in a lifted position above the free throw line, Ibaka's got a dilemma; he can try to protect the rim by sagging off of a big man who can shoot or he can defend the big and help as he can on penetration. It's rarely that simple -- and Ibaka's a bad example of this because of his incredible athleticism and ability to recover quickly over huge swaths of court -- but I think the Spurs will try to force some teams to make that choice and see what they can get out of it. Even if they only manage to scramble a defense with cuts and ball movement after the cuts, it has the chance to should create some really good looks for someone.

Nice analysis. :toast

Phenomanul
09-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Also, I would consider any Aldridge - Splitter defensive comparisons to be a bit askew if only data from last season was used as the basis. Statistically, Splitter had a subpar 2014-2015 season. Splitter was a heck of a rim-defender the season before.

TheGreatYacht
09-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Bottom line - we need TP to be TP.

Macca76
09-15-2015, 06:40 PM
"Aldridge isn’t even the most important part of the equation; Parker is."

When reading this, Appledouche is crying and screaming in his obsessed creepy universe :lol

DarrinS
09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Truth nuke

"If the Spurs fall short of expectations, it will probably be because of some other variable — age, injury, the continued decline of Tony Porker or the brutal Western Conference landscape."

DPG21920
09-15-2015, 06:59 PM
The part that's a little alarming to me (mostly because all this big FA hoopla is new to me from a Spurs perspective) is just how serious LMA is about his stats. During the FA process I thought it was all hearsay, but damn, everyone is talking about (including LMA himself) how he wants to get his.

Just crazy to me and I'm not used to it. The question will become is he a winner? Does he value winning more than anything else or will it be a serious problem and him regretting signing with SA. But to hear LMA openly talk about his stats and how important they are, to hear Pop mention it and RC? It's a serious deal with LMA.

Macca76
09-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Truth nuke

"If the Spurs fall short of expectations, it will probably be because of some other variable — age, injury, the continued decline of Tony Porker or the brutal Western Conference landscape."

Wow that's your truth nuke ?
The decline of a 33 yrs PG relying on his speed for years now ? This is really new to EVERYONE on this forum !!! :lol

The real question is : what is the extent of this decline ?
I'm pretty confident that if he is healthy, TP will be really good even if declining. And the addition of LMA and West will make things interesting for the Spurs.

DPG21920
09-15-2015, 07:08 PM
The decline of a 33 yrs PG relying on his speed for years now ? This is really new to EVERYONE on this forum !!! :lol

I'm pretty confident that if he is healthy, TP will be really good even if declining. And the addition of LMA and West will make things interesting for the Spurs.

I think there needs to be middle ground. There is a difference in trolling and legit concern. If we are being honest, TP was pretty horrific. It's not really something that needs defending nor does it require him being bashed all the time. But straight basketball talk he was really, really bad and people should have legit questions on what level he can play at. Because if it was truly a decline and not mostly injury related, that does not bode well for the Spurs chances now or in the near future with TP's contract.

But no need to constantly troll and bash and be dumb about it.

apalisoc_9
09-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Pretty unsettling to hear a 30 year old talk about PPG...

monkeypunk
09-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Pretty unsettling to hear a 30 year old talk about PPG...

Not surprising considering he came from POR with no team accolades to be proud about. Personal stats were the only thing he knew he could excel with...

DarrinS
09-15-2015, 07:29 PM

TP will be great if his game evolves and he becomes a pass first pg.

playbonner15
09-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Bottomline: We need a reliable PG

Amuseddaysleeper
09-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Diaw's outside game can get very inconsistent so it wouldn't surprise me to see defenders willing to sag off him. He was awful from outside in the playoffs last year.

DPG21920
09-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Diaw's outside game can get very inconsistent so it wouldn't surprise me to see defenders willing to sag off him. He was awful from outside in the playoffs last year.

Diaw had to be the floor spacer as a big because he played with non-spacing bigs. Next year he will be with LMA or West so he should be able to be the diver and post guy hopefully.

hillscountry
09-16-2015, 09:39 PM
spursgasms? What am I missing?

Gladney to see you
09-17-2015, 06:45 AM
I worry about continuity early. You don't want to lose too many early with seeding so tight.

benefactor
09-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Diaw had to be the floor spacer as a big because he played with non-spacing bigs. Next year he will be with LMA or West so he should be able to be the diver and post guy hopefully.
Yep. He's got a great game around the rim and most second unit bigs can't handle him down there. If the help comes he'll pass out to a wide open West.