PDA

View Full Version : Is Ray McCallum the PG of the future for the Spurs?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-18-2015, 01:15 PM
I've been watching a lot of highlights and looking up MCCallum since the signing, and I absolutely love the pick-up. He was the Summer League MVP last year (I remembered hearing his name somewhere), and looking up his advanced stats I was pretty impressed. His defensive rating (although a way smaller sample) is an 111 average in two years of play. To put that into perspective, that's better than Kawhi Leonard's. Like prime Parker, he is extremely quick, can drive to the basket very well, and can finish. I think having Parker show him a lot of his Euro moves and ways to get into the lane will help him develop tremendously.

Of course Parker is signed for the next few years, and has the desire to play long into his career. We also have Patty. But I think in 2-3 years, he will be a legitimate starter in the league.

cd98
09-18-2015, 01:23 PM
No. He's a cheap back up that can spell a pg in limited minutes. He'll get his shot at more minutes, but if he is leading the Spurs, they will probably be a lottery team.

Kool Bob Love
09-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Being under Tony Parker's wing is gonna help too. Tony Parker is a not only a great leader but teacher.

Parkers makes nobody's into somebody's.

quick list

Nando
Claxton
Kerr
Mills
Nando
Barry
Beno

all these players had thier best years playing with Parker. Fell off once post Parker.

K...
09-18-2015, 01:55 PM
You know, every time a poster mentions patty as a parker replacement I immediately pencil them in as a player fan idiot. You see mills is a sg. The idea of mills replacing parker is more about mills being a nice guy than any basketball related reason. People want mills to succeed because he's humble and classy and makes highlights. The fact that be sucks at reading the defense and can't really half court operate suggest he's never gonna be a starting pg. Great player, too short.

If mills is our starting pg it means we're running the offense through the pf position (Boris, lma, west) and maxing out side shooting. Possible but unlikely.

Ray is a true pg, and I believe he has a good shot of being the full time starter this year, maybe match Parker's minutes this year.

So much easier to find a shooter than a legit pg. Mills is lucky we still need shooters, he'll get minutes, but not much more than manu will.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-18-2015, 02:23 PM
No. He's a cheap back up that can spell a pg in limited minutes. He'll get his shot at more minutes, but if he is leading the Spurs, they will probably be a lottery team.

Shit take.

ElNono
09-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Too early to tell, tbh... we'll see how he adjusts to the Spurs, Pop, etc... I think the Spurs hold him in high regard, so I'm certainly eager to watch him play for us...

Tbiggums47
09-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Shit take.
Agreed. McCallum is very talented.

TheGreatYacht
09-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Being under Tony Parker's wing is gonna help too. Tony Parker is a not only a great leader but teacher.

quick list

Nando
Claxton
Kerr
Mills
Nando
Barry
Beno

all these players had thier best years playing with Parker. Fell off once post Parker.
This, tbh

spurslegacy
09-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Right - Steve Kerr was a nobody because he only won three championships before he even got to San Antonio, and had already hit a plethora of tide-changing and even SERIES winning shots with Jordan - clearly a total nobody. Pretty sure Nando and Beno WERE nobody's while in San Antonio, were often scapegoats, and were both cut after short stints.

That being said, I'm impressed by the highlight videos I've seen of Ray, but until shows he can manage the half court offense, and make his presence felt on defense against elite level point guards in the West, I'll be at least somewhat skeptical. Hopefully Tony can show Ray more than how to keep his dribble alive for two-thirds of the shot clock......

quick list

Nando
Claxton
Kerr
Mills
Nando
Barry
Beno

DarrinS
09-18-2015, 06:58 PM

quick list

Nando
Claxton
Kerr
Mills
Nando
Barry
Beno

Lol, Kerr owes it all to Porker. :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
09-18-2015, 07:25 PM
&&, Brandon Weeden is the QB of the future for the Cowboys. :downspin:

cd98
09-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Shit take.

Actually it's accurate. People here rush to crown every scrub we get. I'm just being honest. If he were this great pg, the Kings wouldn't of traded him for nothing. But if you wanted a stupid take to make you feel better, then yes, he could be an all star in 2 years.

Tbiggums47
09-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Actually it is a shit take CD. I have relocated from SA to Michigan and all the talk on the blogs here is positive regarding The Spurs acquiring Ray this summer. Ray could have attended a Tier one NCAA school (UCLA, Stanford) but chose to remain at Detroit University with his dad who is a fundamentalist (like POP). If you had done your homework before blurting out that response you made to Roger you would have known what The Spurs actually acquired. :pimpslapI hope you will come to understand the blindness of your assessment because the trade was a steal.Talk here in The Detroit area is that Ray is a Perfect fit for this type of system. CD I'm not knocking your take because that's your opinion but everybody here believes The Spurs were Genius for making this trade...Why? Because they rescued a fundamentally sound, YOUNG, Athletic, point guard who was a high round pick a few years ago out of Sacramento for next to nothing. Think about it.... He's young, athletic, fundamentally sound, his contract fit the organizations needs and more than anything else...He fits the mantra of the future spurs: Fast and athletic.....This organization is rebuilding on the Fly!!! Kyle Anderson, Ray MCcallum, John Simmons, Bobo Marjonovic, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, LeMarcus Aldridge.....These guys are the next era....Is he a proven player? No....But that's the beauty of the deal We stacked with YOUNG legs to help our old veterans......So I disagree....The take about him being a cheap backup PG is inaccurate and uninformed...

Spurtacular
09-18-2015, 11:39 PM
My OP impersonation:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yxnbra.jpg

Spurtacular
09-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Ray is a true pg, and I believe he has a good shot of being the full time starter this year, maybe match Parker's minutes this year.

:lmao

cd98
09-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Actually it is a shit take CD. I have relocated from SA to Michigan and all the talk on the blogs here is positive regarding The Spurs acquiring Ray this summer. Ray could have attended a Tier one NCAA school (UCLA, Stanford) but chose to remain at Detroit University with his dad who is a fundamentalist (like POP). If you had done your homework before blurting out that response you made to Roger you would have known what The Spurs actually acquired. :pimpslapI hope you will come to understand the blindness of your assessment because the trade was a steal.Talk here in The Detroit area is that Ray is a Perfect fit for this type of system. CD I'm not knocking your take because that's your opinion but everybody here believes The Spurs were Genius for making this trade...Why? Because they rescued a fundamentally sound, YOUNG, Athletic, point guard who was a high round pick a few years ago out of Sacramento for next to nothing. Think about it.... He's young, athletic, fundamentally sound, his contract fit the organizations needs and more than anything else...He fits the mantra of the future spurs: Fast and athletic.....This organization is rebuilding on the Fly!!! Kyle Anderson, Ray MCcallum, John Simmons, Bobo Marjonovic, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, LeMarcus Aldridge.....These guys are the next era....Is he a proven player? No....But that's the beauty of the deal We stacked with YOUNG legs to help our old veterans......So I disagree....The take about him being a cheap backup PG is inaccurate and uninformed...

Spurtacular
09-18-2015, 11:51 PM
So, the idea that an NBA player could have went to UCLA or Stanford is supposed to be something great?

:lol

Clipper Nation
09-18-2015, 11:51 PM
OP has the faggiest signature in Internet history.

cd98
09-18-2015, 11:54 PM
Lol. Cheap. Fact. Back up point guard. Fact. It's fine to be a homer, which you are and you are knocking my opinion, though I don't care bc I'm mocking yours. If This guy is the starting PG in two years, it does not bode well for the franchise. I'm fine with him as a back up, but take off your homer glasses and acknowledge that he isn't an all star.

Spurtacular
09-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Only cos you haven't posted your own group photo.....

https://homoclimbtastic.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/fat-wrestlers.jpg

Pictured: Clipper Nation, Apaliscoc_9, Dabom, RD2191

apalisoc_9
09-18-2015, 11:58 PM

pad300
09-19-2015, 12:55 AM
... His defensive rating (although a way smaller sample) is an 111 average in two years of play. To put that into perspective, that's better than Kawhi Leonard's...

Really. Basketball-Reference does indeed have Mcallum's career Drtg at 111, and Kawhi's career Drtg is 98. Unfortunately, Drtg is estimated points allowed per 100 possessions. Lower is better you idiot...

Asif Ali Zardari
09-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Really. Basketball-Reference does indeed have Mcallum's career Drtg at 111, and Kawhi's career Drtg is 98. Unfortunately, Drtg is estimated points allowed per 100 possessions. Lower is better you idiot...

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-19-2015, 01:16 AM
Actually it's accurate. People here rush to crown every scrub we get. I'm just being honest. If he were this great pg, the Kings wouldn't of traded him for nothing. But if you wanted a stupid take to make you feel better, then yes, he could be an all star in 2 years.

I mean, you're right. My sentiment is that the future is ushered in by necessity. Sooner rather than later, Parker won't be able to be the head of the snake, and that will force McCallum into the fire. It's 50/50 with a smart, "fundamentally sound" player like McCallum. He'll either become the best player he can be, which is a NBA starter, or buckle and prove he can't handle the pressure. But he's young, and has a ton of upside. Not to mention, he's a coach's son (though that doesn't always mean something)

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-19-2015, 01:18 AM
All in all, the Spurs will just draft Yernas Tupokilowitsza from the lost city of Atlantis and he'll be a top 10 PG his 4th year into the league.

TheCerebral1
09-19-2015, 08:22 AM
No, eventually there will be a better option than McCallum. He's suitable as a back-up.

daledondale
09-19-2015, 08:50 AM

BD24
09-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Noticed this as well :lol Was waiting for someone to mention it. :toast

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-19-2015, 09:56 AM

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Lol. Cheap. Fact. Back up point guard. Fact. It's fine to be a homer, which you are and you are knocking my opinion, though I don't care bc I'm mocking yours. If This guy is the starting PG in two years, it does not bode well for the franchise. I'm fine with him as a back up, but take off your homer glasses and acknowledge that he isn't an all star.
The point is to develop him.

SuperCam
09-19-2015, 09:57 AM

tholdren
09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Short Answer = NO.

Better Answer = Jimmer

Spurtacular
09-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Short Answer = NO.

Better Answer = Jimmer

Agreed; people sleeping on Jimmer and touting a scrub.....

:bang

benefactor
09-19-2015, 02:13 PM
He'll be better than Jimmer, but that's not saying much tbh.

Tbiggums47
09-19-2015, 06:06 PM
LOL....CD, You miss the point.... Its not a "knock" on your take you are entitled to your opinion...Just like I am.....I am a homer but I'm a realistic homer. I'm simply pointing out aside from the fact that me being from San Antonio and a Spurs fan since they relocated here from Dallas at The Hemisphere Arena. That there are opinions outside of San Antonio besides yours which argue against your take of him being a "cheap back up guard." That's all...No Disrespect...Since I'm in the Detroit Area where he's from.... My point was that he was talented enough to the point where he had the "choice" to attend those type schools. Yet he chose to stay in Detroit to develop with his dad. It apparently worked because he was a high draft pick.....And I was simply making the point that He has a high up side of developmental talent which seems to be a fit with this system.....BTW....The Spurs are very respected here. Lots of fans...Believe me I was surprised. Hats, T-shirts, warm -ups at their summer festivals and amusement parks. And I NOT taking off the Homer Glasses Buddy....These next four years are gonna be great!

Tbiggums47
09-19-2015, 06:10 PM
So, the idea that an NBA player could have went to UCLA or Stanford is supposed to be something great?

:lol Figure it out Sherlock!

Spurtacular
09-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Figure it out Sherlock!

There's nothing to figure. It's a rhetorical question that you were too stupid to know the answer to.

Tbiggums47
09-19-2015, 06:14 PM
:D:D:D:D
I mean, you're right. My sentiment is that the future is ushered in by necessity. Sooner rather than later, Parker won't be able to be the head of the snake, and that will force McCallum into the fire. It's 50/50 with a smart, "fundamentally sound" player like McCallum. He'll either become the best player he can be, which is a NBA starter, or buckle and prove he can't handle the pressure. But he's young, and has a ton of upside. Not to mention, he's a coach's son (though that doesn't always mean something)

Tbiggums47
09-19-2015, 06:16 PM
There's nothing to figure. It's a rhetorical question that you were too stupid to know the answer to. Just what I thought a Moron! Just the fact that you didn't understand my point that asserts that "having a choice" let's me know YOU don't understand how choice translate with respect to having talent or privilege to choose (or have options, choices on where one "could" play). It demonstrates the limits of your ability to understand what I was stating. Don't waste your time by calling me stupid when you are obviously unable to comprehend my statement regarding Ray and his upside!

dabom
09-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Op can't even understand defensive rating. Lmao.

dabom
09-19-2015, 06:30 PM
What is it with porker fans that don't understand simple stats.? Lol

dabom
09-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Kawhi led the league in defensive rating playing huge minutes with a cancer point guard. Pippen was the last wing player to do that.

K...
09-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Why do people hate on Ray and expose themselves as idiots? Ray is nothing special, but he's component. Remember when a certain famous poster here kept wanting Parker to become prigoni? Ray is your prigini. A guy who can do the minimum point guard duties and let the alphas run the offense.

I love mills but he can't run he offense without Manu. And jigger? If we want every possession to be dribble dribble launch a 3 then maybe, but I'll take rays average defense over mills jitter bug blitz and jimmers ask nicely but don't intervene style defense

K...
09-19-2015, 06:55 PM
And why are people polluting this thread with talk about kawhi? Hello sf=/= pg morons

YGWHI
09-19-2015, 07:23 PM
And why are people polluting this thread with talk about kawhi?
"I wonder why :cry...why???" Because OP?

ts I was pretty impressed. His defensive rating (although a way smaller sample) is an 111 average in two years of play. To put that into perspective, that's better than Kawhi Leonard's.

These stupid haters... :lol

YGWHI
09-19-2015, 07:25 PM

:lmao :tu

dabom
09-19-2015, 07:30 PM
I don't really like crucifying posters and make them look like total idiots. Sometimes it's warranted though. :lmao

YGWHI
09-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't really like crucifying posters and make them look like total idiots. Sometimes it's warranted though. :lmao

Posters? Nah. Just K...and OP :lol

K...
09-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Looks like people are afraid of Ray?:

Do you guys understand what a point guard is?

These peoples are dumb.

Ray is the backup pg. He will start by year end.

tholdren
09-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Looks like people are afraid of Ray?:

Do you guys understand what a point guard is?

These peoples are dumb.

Ray is the backup pg. He will start by year end.
if ray mccallum starts for SA at the end of the year because of play, not injury, then be prepared for the worst year Spurs have had in a while.

td4mvp2k
09-19-2015, 07:57 PM
def not but should make good waterboy

tholdren
09-19-2015, 08:04 PM
2 apg in 20 min and 7 fga.... great pg skills

RD2191
09-19-2015, 08:17 PM

K...
09-19-2015, 08:21 PM
2 apg in 20 min and 7 fga.... great pg skills

It's well established that like jimmee, ray has had his stats depressed by playing in sactoville. Get your facts straight. Look, all Ray had to do is bring the ball up and dump to lma. That's a playoff team right there.

All you Ray haters tell me who you want to point guard this year? Parker? Westbrook? Don't be such dumb assess

tholdren
09-19-2015, 08:27 PM
It's well established that like jimmee, ray has had his stats depressed by playing in sactoville. Get your facts straight. Look, all Ray had to do is bring the ball up and dump to lma. That's a playoff team right there.

All you Ray haters tell me who you want to point guard this year? Parker? Westbrook? Don't be such dumb assess

lol assists would be an inflated stat in that run trash team. he has a 1:1 a/to in 20 min playing run and gun. that is horrible

SAGirl
09-19-2015, 09:50 PM
lol assists would be an inflated stat in that run trash team. he has a 1:1 a/to in 20 min playing run and gun. that is horrible

I was going to point out that TBH. He's athletic and has size. Reminds me of Cojo, some skills, but not a skilled passer and not enough of a talented enough threat to score that he can create for others the way very athletic guards do. We may see improvement through. There is no telling whether Cojo would be even in th league had he been drafted an developed by SAC. I am expecting at least a Cojo level guard. If he turns out better that would be bonus to me.

phxspurfan
09-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Ray Ray just got his Mercedes hooked up by TD's BlackJack Speed Shop

https://instagram.com/p/7qW4MPS6vS/?taken-by=blackjackspeedshop

HarlemHeat37
09-20-2015, 01:45 AM
:lol let's be happy if McCallum can even replace Joseph's production, that's most likely his ceiling, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
09-20-2015, 01:46 AM

:lmao Jesus..

TheGreatYacht
09-20-2015, 01:48 AM

Already like this guy more than Cojo :tu

tholdren
09-20-2015, 08:06 AM

lol ray mccallum looks like he's 12. get some facial hair

kobyz
09-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Can't be, the apalisoc and dabom usernames are same person...

Spurtacular
09-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Can't be, the apalisoc and dabom usernames are same person...

I strongly suspect that to be the case.

K...
09-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Bro please delete this thread and start it again without the dumb ass question mark. Ray is the near future pg. In the long run we'll need a better replacement, but with prime lma and kawhi we don't need a Westbrook or lillard. We need a floor general who doesn't need big touches.

I just don't see a need for a big pg to come in, if we trade I'd much rather get a Duncan replacement since I don't think boban is a true nba player. If we need more play making skill than Ray can provide than bring in ka and Simmons.

AFBlue
09-20-2015, 09:23 PM
No

spurraider21
09-20-2015, 09:39 PM
His defensive rating (although a way smaller sample) is an 111 average in two years of play. To put that into perspective, that's better than Kawhi Leonard's.

K...
09-20-2015, 09:51 PM
No

Who then? Zombie Parker? Not a true pg mills? Trade? Draft pick?

Jigger?

A lot of dumb hate here. Ray is what we need, and what we have

kobyz
09-20-2015, 10:31 PM
I strongly suspect that to be the case.

You should not have any doubt it's the case...

Spurtacular
09-21-2015, 12:51 AM
You should not have any doubt it's the case...

Yea, dabom and apaliscoc_9 are the same person. And Kawhitstorm (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49655) might be the latest sock from open registry.