PDA

View Full Version : CNG engine cars

MultiTroll
09-20-2015, 11:53 PM
30% or more less gas cost then regular engine gas.
Compressed Natural Gas also said to be much easier on engine wear, thus less mechanical repairs / longevity.
Agree?

Chevy was gonna roll out in Impala in 2013 but they had delays due to quality issues.
At least they did not lie.

Also, the Impala will have two gas tanks so if one runs out of CNG it automatically switches over to reg gas.
130 miles on CNG, 500 miles on both.

You got a take on these CNG engines?
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150609/OEM04/150609873/chevys-cng-impala-rollout-delayed-nearly-a-year-to-fix-quality-bug

Biernutz
09-21-2015, 01:30 AM
CNG engine cars and trucks usually cost $8-10 thousand more than a gasoline engine.
Will the cost of a gallon of gas offset the extra cost of the CNG install and the cost
of natural gas fill up?
Natural gas fuel stations are not convenient. How will you use the car? How far will you
drive? You can get home fuel module for your home but they usually fuel slow (like a 6 hour fill up
time because they use home gas line pressure).
I looked into changing my truck into a bi-fuel (CNG and gasoline). They sell kits but
the cost is high. Like the $8-10 thousand. When I looked at it gasoline was about $4.25 per gal
and It was not worth the trouble to me. Now that the cost of a gal gas is about $2 it's a money loser.

Honda made a CNG Civic but I don't know if they still do. I think CNG make more sense than electric
cars. There might be someone who post here that has far more info on what the cost will be and if it is
worth it.

Twisted_Dawg
09-21-2015, 07:35 AM
Old timers like Cosmic Cowboy and Avante can probably remember back in the 70's a lot of pick up owners were installing a propane tank in the truck's bed and being able to run the truck on propane or gasoline. The converson cost back then was not cheap but not prohibitive either. Propane is more readily available and quicker to fill a tank. Toyota will roll out a hydrogen powered fuel cell car in the future which also takes a long time to fill a hydrogen tank. It's just all a matter of delivery, distribution and ease of fueling.

boutons_deux
09-21-2015, 08:06 AM
USA is way behind (BigCorp sets USA national policies to maximize their profits, not to the nation's advantage), search "cng cars in europe"