PDA

View Full Version : Who succeeds Parker

K...
09-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Lots of talk about this issue but not many people are actually saying what they think will happen and should happen.

Basically I see Ray, mills, jimmer, past Euro stash players (including domestic players playing abroad), draft (and specify whether you think this'll be a late first or late lottery pick), or established nba talent via trade or fa

Please avoid discussing Parker. It's beyond established that he will be demoted. The issue of when is still not settled, but we know it'll be relatively soon now.

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2015, 12:20 PM
I can see us getting George Hill back, tbh. I'd prefer Teague though

SuperCam
09-21-2015, 12:35 PM
I can see us getting George Hill back, tbh. I'd prefer Teague though

should never have traded him at all, tbh.

Hill + Jimmy Buckets on the roster :wow

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2015, 12:47 PM
should never have traded him at all, tbh.

Hill + Jimmy Buckets on the roster :wow
:pctoss

09-21-2015, 12:47 PM
If Ray doesn't pan out we'll look to the draft imo

K...
09-21-2015, 12:53 PM
If Ray doesn't pan out we'll look to the draft imo

But if we have a top five record for the next two years, is any good talent available? Do you really think we'll turn to a rookie within the next three years?

I suppose one option.....trade Danny for a pick. That would be cruel since he gave us a discount but he is our best asset and it would let mills start at undersized two guard. Not ideal, but an option..

Kool Bob Love
09-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Gonna be really really hard to top the 2nd greatest Spur in franchise history.

quick run down of his accomplishments.

4-time champ
1-finals mvp
multiple all NBA and all star selections

Good luck to whoever can fit in these peaks.:toast

09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
But if we have a top five record for the next two years, is any good talent available? Do you really think we'll turn to a rookie within the next three years?

I suppose one option.....trade Danny for a pick. That would be cruel since he gave us a discount but he is our best asset and it would let mills start at undersized two guard. Not ideal, but an option..
Mills would get destroyed on defense lol

Who do we trade for though? I don't see us trading away any major piece for a marginal PG like Teague or someone and we won't get someone like Conley in FA. The draft seems like the only option. Hopefully someone falls to us.

Drom John
09-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Three Kevin Pelton chat Q&As from Friday 18 september 2015

Ben (Mpls)

Glad the chats are still around - especially yours. What do you expect the Patty Mills / Tony Parker balance to be like this year?
Kevin Pelton (3:23 PM)

Parker already has been playing limited minutes so I'm not sure there needs to be a big change unless he's really ineffective. Would like to see Mills average 20 minutes per game, though.

Mark (KY)

Is Tony Parker no longer even a mid tier PG? Should the Spurs look to sign Sergio Rodriguez?
Kevin Pelton (3:24 PM)

He wasn't last season. And if you were hoping that was health-related, what we've seen from him during EuroBasket hasn't been encouraging. At this point, signing a European player isn't realistic. That would have to happen early in the summer. And I don't think Rodriguez would be an upgrade over Mills.

Doug (San Antonio)

Does Parker's Eurobasket performance cause you to rethink which Tier you placed the Spurs in for the upcoming season? How is he going to guard Curry, Paul, Westbrook or even Ty Lawson?
Kevin Pelton (3:43 PM)

No, but partially because I'm the biggest Patty Mills fan outside of Australia.

K...
09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Dang Kevin pelton is a Ray denier. This ignorance runs deep. Imo Ray gets starts but mills gets his traditional bench role and then whichever is now effective closes game. Probably also how the team will run with Parker from day one. Parker starts plays limited minutes, mills comes in, better player finishes.

SAGirl
09-21-2015, 04:23 PM
I can't speculate without seeing Ray and Jimmer through the season. I don't see Patty as an option since his best asset is to be a gunner and in the staring role he has to defer. Not saying he can't defer, play off the ball or anything like that, just that he is most useful to the team giving a scoring punch to a bench with a declining Manu. Long term, hard to say. For this season we'll likely see Ray play a lot like Cojo.

Future, Spurs might go after someone in the draft or Free agency. Celtics have a lot of guards currently and a lot of assets to trade as well. They probably want an arm and a leg for them. It's too speculative at this point.

DPG21920
09-21-2015, 05:01 PM
People expecting Ray to be some superstar are going to be sorely disppointed. Could he have a really solid year in the Spurs system? Absolutely. But if you have watched him play even a little bit, while there is plenty to like there are flaws. I personally don't see upside anywhere close to a starter on a team with title hopes, but a decent back up option.

K...
09-21-2015, 05:07 PM
People expecting Ray to be some superstar are going to be sorely disppointed. Could he have a really solid year in the Spurs system? Absolutely. But if you have watched him play even a little bit, while there is plenty to like there are flaws. I personally don't see upside anywhere close to a starter on a team with title hopes, but a decent back up option.

But we only need adequate. Remember famous troll apolosic saying prigoni > Parker. I have to believe Ray can at least prigoni. I mean the whole point of this thread is to show how hard it is to replace Parker. And yet as famously argued, this team is literally better when Parker sits and even a replacement level player would improve.....and we have a replacement level player!

This is about the best among bad choices but also a discussion of how much pg talent to run a not yet seen offense. So there's no real answer. But it's better having this discussion then bitching about Parker all day

Mr Bones
09-21-2015, 05:59 PM
"The Spurs will never win a championship with Avery Johnson as the point guard”

~Damon Stoudamire, 1999.

1999 NBA Champs: San Antonio Spurs

Kawhitstorm
09-21-2015, 06:29 PM

One thing is for sure, he won't be any worse than Porker. That by itself makes me optimistic.

look_at_g_shred
09-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Draft.

Clipper Nation
09-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Porker doesn't succeed, he fails.

ElNono
09-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Spurs should really go all out on Mike Conley Jr next offseason...

ElNono
09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Maybe if KD bolts from OKC next summer, the Spurs could also tempt Westbrook...

dabom
09-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Spurs should really go all out on Mike Conley Jr next offseason...

I second this. Always is money vs the Spurs.

Nathan89
09-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Patty shouldn't have any votes tbh.

Birn
09-21-2015, 09:48 PM
If we can somehow get Phil Pressey into our system we would have our starting point guard for the next 10 years. He's extremely underrated and would be a great fit. Need to get him here so he can learn the system for at least a year. He's an Avery clone except he has a better outside shot.

DPG21920
09-21-2015, 11:27 PM
One thing is for sure, he won't be any worse than Porker. That by itself makes me optimistic.

That is not anywhere close to proven. TP had one really bad year where he was a net negative. That really is unchartered territory for him. Could it happen again? Absoultely, but Ray hasn't proven to be an above average player yet either. Just saying temper expectations on his ability to lead a team. If Ray is SA's best PG, Spurs are in trouble.

Spurtacular
09-21-2015, 11:34 PM

Trade Danny for a pick :lmao

Remote possibility all the same.....