View Full Version : Why David West Gave Back $11m to Play for the Spurs

Vic Petro
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Woj

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-david-west-gave-back--11-million-to-join-the-spurs-195800859.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Sounds like he was really tired of being a mediator for Indiana's problems.

hater
09-28-2015, 03:25 PM
George hill probably hit on him

benefactor
09-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Good stuff. Thanks. :tu

RGMCSE
09-28-2015, 03:39 PM
I still can't believe it.

Robz4000
09-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Best signing of the offseason

SpursFan86
09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Great article - thanks for posting.

One thing confused me though:

"It took him six years to buy a new car and a new house upon entering the NBA"

"David West does drive a Lexus now. He bought it over a decade ago"

Am I having a brainfart, or does that not make sense at all? West entered the league in 2003.

Spurtacular
09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
After taxes, probably more like $6M or less. And he might be able to make that up in his post player career by having the prestige of being the selfless guy who did what it took to win a ring.

Spurtacular
09-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Great article - thanks for posting.

One thing confused me though:

"It took him six years to buy a new car and a new house upon entering the NBA"

"David West does drive a Lexus now. He bought it over a decade ago"

Am I having a brainfart, or does that not make sense at all? West entered the league in 2003.

Maybe, the Lexus is used?
Yea, more likely something got lost in translation.

Spurtacular
09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
"I find myself staring at Tim," David West (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3721/) tells Yahoo Sports. "I have just been trying to find little corners to watch him – and I just stare at him."

:lol

TheGreatYacht
09-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Let Matt Barnes try some shit....

ajh18
09-28-2015, 04:02 PM
I thought the comment about Tim practicing corner threes was interesting. Just normal expansion of his game, or something they may actually look at in one of their Aldridge sets?

tmtcsc
09-28-2015, 04:52 PM
"People are talking about what I gave up," West told Yahoo Sports, "but not as much about what I've gained here."

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/Proud-GIF.gif?gs=ahttp://i.imgur.com/pWs5k.gif

DPG21920
09-28-2015, 04:57 PM
David West is a bad ass, plain and simple. He embodies the idea that is the Spurs. Spurs do it well. Everything. But they aren't perfect, but compared to everyone else? That lore of the Spurs way is actually embodied in it's truest form by West. He loves the Spurs. Moreso, he loves the idea of the Spurs. The idea of pure basketball, simple but hard working & team first. Whether its all true (it's not), in David's mind it is.

He is going to give it his all and he's going to be great for the team. People will love him. He will have struggles as he's older now and in a really new role, but damn he's cool as hell.

BillMc
09-28-2015, 05:08 PM
"People are talking about what I gave up," West told Yahoo Sports, "but not as much about what I've gained here."

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/Proud-GIF.gif?gs=ahttp://i.imgur.com/pWs5k.gif
:lol:toast:flag:

BillMc
09-28-2015, 05:09 PM
David West is a bad ass, plain and simple. He embodies the idea that is the Spurs. Spurs do it well. Everything. But they aren't perfect, but compared to everyone else? That lore of the Spurs way is actually embodied in it's truest form by West. He loves the Spurs. Moreso, he loves the idea of the Spurs. The idea of pure basketball, simple but hard working & team first. Whether its all true (it's not), in David's mind it is.

He is going to give it his all and he's going to be great for the team. People will love him. He will have struggles as he's older now and in a really new role, but damn he's cool as hell.

Truth.

I said he's tough like SJax but without all the BS.

lefty
09-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Is he married?

Has he ever heard of Tony Parker?

http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

ducks
09-28-2015, 05:16 PM

david west will protect tp when someone flattens him going for a layup

spursgu
09-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Can't wait to see him on the court. Love his attitude already.

Das Texan
09-28-2015, 05:33 PM
david west will protect tp when someone flattens him going for a layup

gonna take a lot of work to flatten parker's fat ass.

lefty
09-28-2015, 05:34 PM

:lmao

weeks
09-28-2015, 05:38 PM
is it weird i feel more excited about west than i do aldridge?
west feels like a natural fit and i think he's gonna be fun as hell to watch.

Spurtacular
09-28-2015, 05:40 PM
is it weird i feel more excited about west than i do aldridge?
west feels like a natural fit and i think he's gonna be fun as hell to watch.

It's weird if you're not one of the Kawhi fan boys. Aldridge is definitely the more pivotal pick-up.

TheDoctor
09-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Is he married?

Do you noticed something when reading this?

David West:
"I've already been picking [Manu Ginobili (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380/)'s] brain, asking questions. Asking Tim questions. I needed that."

weeks
09-28-2015, 05:41 PM
It's weird if you're not one of the Kawhi fan boys. Aldridge is definitely the more pivotal pick-up.
call it a gut feeling but i think people will be down on aldridge after a little while, the high was too much and i just feel like we're gonna be a little disappointed....some of the stuff he talks about, just the vibe i get, i think it's gonna be a rockier beginning than most people are anticipating

i look for west to come out strong and perform above expectations

UNT Eagles 2016
09-28-2015, 05:45 PM
call it a gut feeling but i think people will be down on aldridge after a little while, the high was too much and i just feel like we're gonna be a little disappointed....some of the stuff he talks about, just the vibe i get, i think it's gonna be a rockier beginning than most people are anticipating

Agree. Aldridge is a mid range spot up shooter. This really isn't a great shot on an analytical level, unless you shoot over 60% on it or something AND have an elite defense.

Spurtacular
09-28-2015, 05:55 PM

I'm down on Alrdidge already; I think he's a narcissist. But there's no doubt the offense will be centered in large part around him. D-West is a great option though.

HarlemHeat37
09-28-2015, 05:56 PM

:lmao..

HarlemHeat37
09-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Love having West on the team for his toughness and as a bench spot-up shooter, but I'm not expecting too much..he's still an old, declining player that can't create anymore and will often be a defensive liability, but he should be able to put up points playing off Manu and vs. opposing bench defenses..

ducks
09-28-2015, 06:09 PM

dude worked hard this offseason is in best shape in a long time
uncalled for

lefty
09-28-2015, 06:15 PM

No mention of Porker :lmao

bdictjames
09-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Great article, indeed. David West, growing into one of my favorite players, even before stepping into the court. :)

TD 21
09-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Interesting that he lost 10 pounds. Generally, this is a good thing for aging players (and it may well be in his case, too), but surprising in his case considering he's moving up a position defensively.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Is he married?

:lmao

:lmao..

dude worked hard this offseason is in best shape in a long time
uncalled for

No mention of Porker :lmaoWho is this thread about?

Silver&Black
09-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Best signing of the offseason

We won't know for sure until we see him in action.....

But I got a feeling that you're exactly right. Still can't believe we got D-West for the minimum. :cry

Silver&Black
09-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Who is this thread about?

They can't help it Chump...

Everything is somehow related to Parker.

Robz4000
09-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Interesting that he lost 10 pounds. Generally, this is a good thing for aging players (and it may well be in his case, too), but surprising in his case considering he's moving up a position defensively.

Might coincide with LMA gaining weight (it appears). West might get to stay at PF while Aldridge had a change of heart and decided to play some Center.

Aztecfan03
09-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Maybe, the Lexus is used?
Yea, more likely something got lost in translation.
yea, whichever one it is, it still speaks to his modest living for a professional sports star.

Gladney to see you
09-28-2015, 09:36 PM
No way I'd give up that much money.

Aztecfan03
09-28-2015, 09:38 PM

i noticed he was talking about players who are older than him, just like was said in the article.

lefty
09-28-2015, 09:42 PM
They can't help it Chump...

Everything is somehow related to Parker.

Of course it is, he is our fucking PG

SpurPadre
09-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Spurs do it well. Everything. But they aren't perfect

I'd say our '14 Title was as close to perfect as there has been in league history and many of the team's haters would even admit as much.

The idea of pure basketball, simple but hard working & team first. Whether its all true (it's not), in David's mind it is.

Again, even the team's haters would readily admit the Spurs play a pure style of the game that is team first. Even in our 4 down years, no one would say we weren't team first. How is that not true?

SpurPadre
09-28-2015, 10:11 PM

It's still not out of the realm of possibility that he added some muscle though since the belief of muscle weighing more than fat is just a myth.

daslicer
09-28-2015, 10:41 PM
I have seen his interviews he looks real excited to play for the Spurs.

Silver&Black
09-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Of course it is, he is our fucking PG

He literally has nothing to do with this thread...

Yet the I hate Tony Parker Krew can't help themselves. And they always talk shit about people derailing threads :lol

SAGirl
09-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Woj

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-david-west-gave-back--11-million-to-join-the-spurs-195800859.html What a classy, lovable guy!!!!! Thanks for sharing this OP!
:bobo

SAGirl
09-28-2015, 11:49 PM
He literally has nothing to do with this thread...

Yet the I hate Tony Parker Krew can't help themselves. And they always talk shit about people derailing threads :lol

The Parker hating crew have to make everything about him, and it must be funny joke only to them. Already there is a kind of Lamarcus vs West vibe here. . . Can't we enjoy this guy's excitement for the season without all the trolling?

TheGreatYacht
09-29-2015, 12:09 AM
David West hasn't played one minute in a Spurs uni and he's already sacrificing $$$$.....

Wish some role player beta with braids did the same

Kawhitstorm
09-29-2015, 02:01 AM
David West hasn't played one minute in a Spurs uni and he's already sacrificing $$$$.....

Wish some role player beta with braids did the same

He already sacrificed your mom in the bedroom

TheGreatYacht
09-29-2015, 02:14 AM
your mom
You a lame.

09-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Seems like a beta male who wasn't cut out for a leadership position and knew it. It's good to be self-aware, he'll be a good locker room guy.

Hopefully a certain alpha male on the team doesn't decide to assert his dominance again and plow David's wife. :toast

hooperflash
09-29-2015, 02:33 AM

David West:
"I've already been picking [Manu Ginobili's] brain, asking questions. Asking Tim questions. I needed that."

Because he was talking about learning from the older players, tbh.

35 > 32

SupremeGuy
09-29-2015, 06:06 AM
gonna take a lot of work to flatten parker's fat ass.:lol

Buddy Mignon
09-29-2015, 09:35 AM
I'll tell you why... he's stupid.

Killakobe81
09-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Love having West on the team for his toughness and as a bench spot-up shooter, but I'm not expecting too much..he's still an old, declining player that can't create anymore and will often be a defensive liability, but he should be able to put up points playing off Manu and vs. opposing bench defenses..

True stuff but he adds toughness and a willing to sacrifice for the greater good ... plus I am of the mindset a team like the Spurs need guys like West and LMa who havent rang yet. Their hunger and the guys that have won wanting to win for them can really help a team that is getting older. Great pickup at the price. Spurs system may re-invigorate him the way it did Diaw. the same criticisms (for the most part) applied to Diaw pre Spurs except hew as always a better playmaker than West.

spursistan
09-29-2015, 11:24 AM
i just hope he has better fortune than Antonio Mcdyss with us..nice guy, great worth ethic with high regard for the Spurs Org, but he came too old in our lean times and was tasked with a bigger role than he could have handled..Th satisfaction of finally getting a ring at this age for these driven veteran is quite immense..Remember Finley jumping into and embracing TD after Game 4of 07 Finals with the almost cathartic words "thank you man ! Thank you man !"..

admiralsnackbar
09-29-2015, 11:31 AM
i just hope he has better fortune than Antonio Mcdyss with us..nice guy, great worth ethic with high regard for the Spurs Org, but he came too old in our lean times and was tasked with a bigger role than he could have handled..Th satisfaction of finally getting a ring at this age for these driven veteran is quite immense..Remember Finley jumping into and embracing TD after Game 4of 07 Finals with the almost cathartic words "thank you man ! Thank you man !".. Dice was asked to do more for a lesser team. It's a bummer we couldn't get him a chip, but he rang with the Pistons, so it isn't all that tragic.

spursistan
09-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Dice was asked to do more for a lesser team. It's a bummer we couldn't get him a chip, but he rang with the Pistons, so it isn't all that tragic.
except that he didn't ring with the Pistons..joined there in 2004 offseason..

admiralsnackbar
09-29-2015, 11:54 AM
except that he didn't ring with the Pistons..joined there in 2004 offseason.. Oh, crap, you're right -- thanks for correcting me, sir.

Killakobe81
09-29-2015, 11:56 AM
i just hope he has better fortune than Antonio Mcdyss with us..nice guy, great worth ethic with high regard for the Spurs Org, but he came too old in our lean times and was tasked with a bigger role than he could have handled..Th satisfaction of finally getting a ring at this age for these driven veteran is quite immense..Remember Finley jumping into and embracing TD after Game 4of 07 Finals with the almost cathartic words "thank you man ! Thank you man !"..

Exactly doesnt always work out but it helps I think ...

TheDoctor
09-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Because he was talking about learning from the older players, tbh.

35 > 32

Right, because even if you're older you can't learn anthing from a younger former all-star player who have been in the organization since 2001? What about asking Enrique where to eat? Or you saying that Parker is so untrustworthy that David couldn't ask him even such a simple thing?

Chinook
09-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Looking at the finances, it's possible the Spurs are looking at this as a two-year window rather than a one-year, all-in situation. I could totally see the Spurs reupping West on a one-year MLE deal if Tim comes back. Though they totally need a center more.

cariocaz
09-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Woj

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-david-west-gave-back--11-million-to-join-the-spurs-195800859.html

Great read. Very impressive.

hooperflash
09-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Right, because even if you're older you can't learn anthing from a younger former all-star player who have been in the organization since 2001? What about asking Enrique where to eat? Or you saying that Parker is so untrustworthy that David couldn't ask him even such a simple thing?

Perhaps he was out for lunch when West was searching for him around the facility, I dunno.

TheDoctor
09-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Perhaps he was out for lunch when West was searching for him around the facility, I dunno.

Ok, lets take a yooounger player liiiike the newly acquired PF LaMarcus Aldridge 30 < 32.

Today, Tim Duncan said about Spurs pitch to LMA :

There wasn't anything to convince him about, it was about going in there and show him who we are, and what we are and allow him to make the decision for himself.He wanted to sit in front of us and listen to us talk about the Spurs and about how we do things and what the plans would be, from the team aspect, from mine, Pop, Manu's, how we're going to play things...

Can you identify the similarities between David and LMA's take on joining to the Spurs?

dunkman
09-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Briefcase under the table, tbh

Seventyniner
09-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Looking at the finances, it's possible the Spurs are looking at this as a two-year window rather than a one-year, all-in situation. I could totally see the Spurs reupping West on a one-year MLE deal if Tim comes back. Though they totally need a center more.

Will two lower-level max slots be possible in 2017 if Aldridge, Kawhi, and Green are the only ones on the books?

ElNono
09-29-2015, 09:11 PM
I'm almost more excited about having this guy than LMA, tbh... at least for this season.

pgardn
09-29-2015, 10:05 PM
No way I'd give up that much money.

Dont worry.
You won't have to big fella.

HarlemHeat37
09-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Dont worry.
You won't have to big fella.

:lol

10-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm thrilled he's a member of the Spurs and I purchased a David West jersey a couple of days ago.

TD 21
10-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Might coincide with LMA gaining weight (it appears). West might get to stay at PF while Aldridge had a change of heart and decided to play some Center.

Whether Aldridge gained a few pounds or not, I don't know (his face looks puffier, but it could have more to do with shaving his beard), but I do know that he's been in the 270 range in recent years. Like many players, his weight inexplicably continued to be listed as the one he broke into the league with, until now.

At least one of Duncan-Aldridge in at all meaningful times, will take far more re-jiggering of the rotation than most realize, which is why I'd imagine their hope is that it doesn't have to come to that out of necessity.

It's still not out of the realm of possibility that he added some muscle though since the belief of muscle weighing more than fat is just a myth.

Still. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief (I see a lot of people listing Diaw as the center, which is laughable), West is more than likely going to be utilized to defend behemoth back to the basket centers.