PDA

View Full Version : NASA confirms water found on Mars

Insomniac
09-29-2015, 03:32 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/science/space/mars-life-liquid-water.html?_r=0

Amazing and incredible news.

SnakeBoy
09-29-2015, 07:47 AM
Cool discovery. There is now the possibility that there's algae in the water that will become a fish that will become a man. And earthlings will get to observe it all happen.

hater
09-29-2015, 08:05 AM
We knew this years ago.

Nothing gona come off it for the next 50 years. Maybe in 100 years we will start to colonize the red planet. Much ado about nothing

InRareForm
09-29-2015, 08:15 AM
There has always been water on Mars lol. There is f'n ice at the caps lol

hater
09-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Seriously we are decades away from safe propulsion and habitat technologies to even get us o Mars. Much less fucking landing on it and setting up camp :lol

RD2191
09-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Cool discovery. There is now the possibility that there's algae in the water that will become a fish that will become a man. And earthlings will get to observe it all happen.

:lol

Blake
09-29-2015, 12:32 PM

A few hundred million years from now some Martians might be able to dig up the fossils and piece together a solid working theory of evolution.

admiralsnackbar
09-29-2015, 12:51 PM
A few hundred million years from now some Martians might be able to dig up the fossils and piece together a solid working theory of evolution. Perhaps using this board as a guide. :lol

~O~
09-29-2015, 03:54 PM
If you seriously posted this, you're informed. This was discovered years ago because as someone said, ice caps. Even if it was the first news, it would not be surprising since there are planets that don't even orbit stars roaming space after being thrown out of their solar orbit; rogue planets. That's the power of the Kepler. More stars than grains of sand and that means there's 3 times as much as planets or moons than stars.

Human existence....insignificant on the galaxy, interstellar, group, cluster, and observable scale. Humble up motherfuckers. :toast

boutons_deux
09-29-2015, 04:37 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQAICTgUwAAVZjf.jpg

Chris
09-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Please Hammer, don't hurt em

bigzak25
09-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Well now this changes things doesn't it.

man on wire
09-30-2015, 02:38 AM
We knew this years ago.

Nothing gona come off it for the next 50 years. Maybe in 100 years we will start to colonize the red planet. Much ado about nothing

We thought this years ago. Now there is scientific proof.

ididnotnothat
09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Now we wait for the discovery of fossils.

Mark Celibate
09-30-2015, 07:09 PM
People who can afford the trip to Mars are probably the last ones who ever want to leave the earth, tbh.

DMC
09-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Well shit, I can get water at home.

InRareForm
10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
As Neil degrasse said, we all might just be true Martians. It is very possible, a meteorite hit mars which had life first, and the life ingredient remnants got tossed to Earth

Koolaid_Man
10-02-2015, 03:28 PM
There has always been water on Mars lol. There is f'n ice at the caps lol

I doubt its water...more likely frozen hydrogen, sulfur, or some other deadly shit...everything that freezes isn't water....there is no breathable atmosphere on Mars..so it's not likely water. Just looks like it from millions of miles away

DJR210
10-02-2015, 03:40 PM
I doubt its water...more likely frozen hydrogen, sulfur, or some other deadly shit...everything that freezes isn't water....there is no breathable atmosphere on Mars..so it's not likely water. Just looks like it from millions of miles away

Don't try and act intelligent you stupid ass mother fucker

Koolaid_Man
10-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Don't try and act intelligent you stupid ass mother fucker

While I may at times live a fake internet life whats even sadder is that you allow me to live a real life rent free in your head...:lol

pgardn
10-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Uhh fellas...

A minute of your time.

LIQUID water at certain times on Martian soil.
Like today. That's what these flow structures indicate. Not just frozen, liquid.

Permanently frozen water does not do anything for the type of life we think could exist.

Problems: The amount of dissolved salts in the structures indicate the water looks to be much too hypertonic for any type of life we know of.
But....There may be places were the water is not too "salty"

Big Dog
10-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Uhh fellas...

A minute of your time.

LIQUID water at certain times on Martian soil.
Like today. That's what these flow structures indicate. Not just frozen, liquid.

Permanently frozen water does not do anything for the type of life we think could exist.

Problems: The amount of dissolved salts in the structures indicate the water looks to be much too hypertonic for any type of life we know of.
But....There may be places were the water is not too "salty"
Organisms are known to live in either extreme you mentioned in this post. Humans are going to have to land on Mars and excavate the surface for samples of life.

pgardn
10-02-2015, 10:29 PM

It's the fish, always the Fckn fish. That's the hangup for the intellectual giants of the board. Drumroll please.

Robdilobster Diaz. (Claims he is a crustacean)
Avante "I ain't no fish" Lemonsprint.
Mouse Iminyouraquarium.

Thanks for your insight and depth of consciousness.

pgardn
10-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Organisms are known to live in either extreme you mentioned in this post. Humans are going to have to land on Mars and excavate the surface for samples of life.

The Halophiles on Earth could not live in this precipitating mess we have found. But, there are places where the temperature and salinity might be appropriate now. I am skeptical. Spores are a possibility. Fossilized spores. I will have to read more. Anyone else with insight to the articles chime in.

Kool. You can go sit in the corner. And take that gdamn thumb out of your mouth.

Joseph Kony
10-02-2015, 10:41 PM

this retard really thinks someone looked at mars with a telescope and said "hey look there's some liquid, it must be water!" :lmao

pgardn
10-02-2015, 10:44 PM
People who can afford the trip to Mars are probably the last ones who ever want to leave the earth, tbh.

Further proof that lack of sex produces responses from deep left field.
With the exception of mighty Syphillus " I melt your little French brain"

pgardn
10-02-2015, 10:48 PM
this retard really thinks someone looked at mars with a telescope and said "hey look there's some liquid, it must be water!" :lmao

Unlike The Celibate, Kool is proof that pure testosterone looking for squirrel holes in trees to hump is indeed the other extreme of dazed and confused.

pgardn
10-02-2015, 11:00 PM

Oh.

Respect and Biggie up anyways. Maybe you read about the bacteria growing in extreme cold salty environs of Antarctica. But these precipitation mineral flows look to be way salty.

Big Dog
10-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh.

Respect and Biggie up anyways. Maybe you read about the bacteria growing in extreme cold salty environs of Antarctica. But these precipitation mineral flows look to be way salty.
Where are you getting these readings of salinity? I'd like to see what you are referring to because I'm going by what the published article included. The article did not mention anything regarding degree of salinity.

pgardn
10-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Where are you getting these readings of salinity? I'd like to see what you are referring to because I'm going by what the published article included. The article did not mention anything regarding degree of salinity.

Not getting any at all. The structures I read about in the guardian are possibly not frozen but actually rocky mineralized slippery precipitate. I have seen studies of these in places like Yellowstone in both hot and cold environments and the Halophiles were found in regions that had much more water present. There were rings of precipitate that were completely dead zones. The ones with life usually had drippy drops of water forming and were brightly colored photosynthetic guys. But the dead zones that had some fancy colored precipitates from sulfur to perchlorate were dead, dead. And with bacterial spores all over in Earths atmosphere and falling on everything this was surprising to me at least.

No readings at all. I don't know if anyone can figure that without sampling. Just conjecture and personal experience along with some skepticism in the guardian.

pgardn
10-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Oh

the guardian has a bunch of articles

They don't even want to bring any rovers near this because they don't think they were decontaminated properly.

Dude
10-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Real cool stuff

SnakeBoy
10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
It's the fish, always the Fckn fish. That's the hangup for the intellectual giants of the board. Drumroll please.

Robdilobster Diaz. (Claims he is a crustacean)
Avante "I ain't no fish" Lemonsprint.
Mouse Iminyouraquarium.

Thanks for your insight and depth of consciousness.

Thanks for keeping that stick up your ass.

Insomniac
10-06-2015, 02:56 AM
No wonder so many people like to get tanked.