PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker is not a kid anymore

TheDoctor
10-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Some quotes from Tony Parker's press videos (source NBA.com).

Tony Parker played for France this summer. After being questioned for some minutes after practice, he has to say:

“I just want to feel good,” Enrique said Thursday. “My only goal this year is to be healthy, because I know if I’m healthy I’ll play well.”

“It was hard to accept it,”

“But I had the whole summer to accept it. I have to understand I’m not 25 and if I want to play at the same high level, I have to prepare differently.”

“It’s not like when I was 20 — just come two minutes before practice and just practice,”

“Regarding Eurobasket I felt great, I just didn’t make shots.”

“I’ll do anything to get back to that championship level,” “Just take more time, more commitment, more sacrifice. I’m ready to do it.” AFter playing with him on Eurobasket plus three days of practice in San Antonio Diaw said: “Physically, he looked great, really in shape,”

“Over the course of a career, you have ups and downs,” Tony said. “I just want to put it behind me. It’s a new season, and I feel healthy and ready to go.”

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Good to know he reached out to Nash. That guy always had his ailments well taken care of, until the Lakers broke his back.

YGWHI
10-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Good to know he reached out to Nash. That guy always had his ailments well taken care of, until the Lakers broke his back.

I thought the quote was a joke but he was talking about Nash in Phoenix, right? It makes a lot more sense.

Fireball
10-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Nashs back was already bad when he was in Phoenix.

Only good things you hear from Parker, though. The changes in training regime were necessary, I said it the year before he has to take a page out of Manus book before because Manu had less muscle problems the last two seasons. Parker will have it easier with the Spurs than with his national team as Gobert is not exactly a player that opens the floor for Tony. So, hopefully he stays healthy, then the offense can be pretty incredible after the first few months of the season.

TheDoctor
10-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Only good things you hear from Parker, though. The changes in training regime were necessary, I said it the year before he has to take a page out of Manus book before because Manu had less muscle problems the last two seasons. Parker will have it easier with the Spurs than with his national team as Gobert is not exactly a player that opens the floor for Tony. So, hopefully he stays healthy, then the offense can be pretty incredible after the first few months of the season.

Good take. I'm pretty sure he wont stay healthy through all the Season, but at least he did some changes to his diet and body, minimizing the chance of an injury.

K...
10-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Op, edit the post .... The express news is hawkish on theft of content. This site had been warned. Common sense .

K...
10-02-2015, 11:01 AM
There's nothing new here. Parker is old, his injuries are part of being old. He may or may not be done.

HarlemHeat37
10-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Realistically, if he accepts his role, there's no reason he can't have a good season and contrubute..if he still believes he can be anything but a peripheral role player, then the Spurs are going to suffer, tbh..

He's still the best ball-handler on the team and the closest thing to an actual PG, would be huge for the team if he accepts a Prigioni role..

spursistan
10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I just hope he doesn't cry hamstring at each time he sucks in a game/stretch beacuse the reality is that he'is done more than anything else..I'm sure Manu and TD are dinged up all time but they never reach for the media to talk about how niggling and beaten up their bodies are..Tony needs take the honorable path and sit himself on the bench with fellow cheering teammates instead of disappearing in the locker room to never bee seen again after a disastrous"i-don't-have-it-this-night" half..It is going to be a challenge trying to reconcile Tony's ego with the stark reality of his ability as Basketball player right now..Yes Parker is not a kid anymore, but he could still grow in other departments..

DarrinS
10-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Time to become a pass-first type of PG.

TheDoctor
10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Op, edit the post ....

:toast

Mikeanaro
10-02-2015, 12:23 PM
This is the same crap he says before every season starts.

TheDoctor
10-02-2015, 12:30 PM
This is the same crap he says before every season starts.

Basically. Last season he beasted for the first 2-3 months but he didn't play Summer Ball tho'. This year he played for France but he's evidently in better shape. Wait and see I guess.

Dex
10-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Basically. Last season he beasted for the first 2-3 months but he didn't play Summer Ball tho'. This year he played for France but he's evidently in better shape. Wait and see I guess.

Some posters seem to more content throwing dirt on his grave than hoping for him to have a bounceback season, despite the fact that the latter would make the Spurs even more ridiculously loaded.

ElNono
10-02-2015, 12:38 PM
tbh, I wish he would stop blaming the "injuries"... Hopefully he doesn't really think that injuries is what slowed him down. He needs to realize he just can't push the machine as much as before, otherwise he will get hurt again. That's natural once you get older. Especially during the grind of the regular season. Now we have personnel that can carry the scoring load, so he needs to have a more cerebral role (like HH said, more of a Prigioni role).

Spurs really need him healthy in that kind of role, so hopefully he understands that and he can have a good season.

YGWHI
10-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Agree, but the Suns' training and medical staff did a fantastic job and kept him playing, at high level.

YGWHI
10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
tbh, I wish he would stop blaming the "injuries"... Hopefully he doesn't really think that injuries is what slowed him down.

It's as bad as Pop thinking the same thing.

Clipper Nation
10-02-2015, 12:47 PM
AFter playing with him on Eurobasket plus three days of practice in San Antonio Diaw said: “Physically, he looked great, really in shape,”
Given what Diaw considers to be "in shape" - well, let's just say round is a shape.

TheDoctor
10-02-2015, 01:01 PM
tbh, I wish he would stop blaming the "injuries"... Hopefully he doesn't really think that injuries is what slowed him down. He needs to realize he just can't push the machine as much as before, otherwise he will get hurt again. That's natural once you get older. Especially during the grind of the regular season. Now we have personnel that can carry the scoring load, so he needs to have a more cerebral role (like HH said, more of a Prigioni role).

Spurs really need him healthy in that kind of role, so hopefully he understands that and he can have a good season.

The thing we have to make clear is that Tony is not Tim Duncan and never will be. He has always blamed his injuries as the culprit for his underperforming seasons. But even MJ declined so I don't know why is so difficult for him to accept it. As you said, he needs to realize he just can't push the machine at the rate he was accustomed 5 years ago.

SpurPadre
10-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Some posters seem to more content throwing dirt on his grave than hoping for him to have a bounceback season, despite the fact that the latter would make the Spurs even more ridiculously loaded.

This. It's one thing to raise concern over a player's performance and/or decline or make a harmless joke about it but why take joy in pointing it out repeatedly and then go on and on about it like it's contributing to anything? This goes for the sudden Kawhi hate too.

SpursforSix
10-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Agree, but the Suns' training and medical staff did a fantastic job and kept him playing, at high level.

Nash also was able to shoot and pass the ball which helps offset loss of quickness.
It's important to note that shooting and passing have known to be very helpful skills for a point guard to have.

Mikeanaro
10-02-2015, 01:13 PM
The reason we have LMA is to not depend on him scoring playing hero ball, now Parker is irrelevant if he wants to play Prigioni role good, if not I couldnt care less.

SpursforSix
10-02-2015, 01:19 PM
The reason we have LMA is to not depend on him scoring playing hero ball, now Parker is irrelevant if he wants to play Prigioni role good, if not I couldnt care less.

as long as Parker is on the floor dribbling and losing the ball, he will never be irrelevant.

Mikeanaro
10-02-2015, 01:29 PM
as long as Parker is on the floor dribbling and losing the ball, he will never be irrelevant.
He will be irrelevant, an irrelevant pain in the ass dragging down his teammates.

Silver&Black
10-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Dex....

My nigga.

BillMc
10-02-2015, 01:54 PM

This.

T_L_P
10-02-2015, 01:59 PM
I just hope he doesn't cry hamstring at each time he sucks in a game/stretch beacuse the reality is that he'is done more than anything else..I'm sure Manu and TD are dinged up all time but they never reach for the media to talk about how niggling and beaten up their bodies are..Tony needs take the honorable path and sit himself on the bench with fellow cheering teammates instead of disappearing in the locker room to never bee seen again after a disastrous"i-don't-have-it-this-night" half..It is going to be a challenge trying to reconcile Tony's ego with the stark reality of his ability as Basketball player right now..Yes Parker is not a kid anymore, but he could still grow in other departments..

Damn. Truth nuke.

Kool Bob Love
10-02-2015, 02:01 PM

I wish you were this honest about Manu. Clown.

SpursforSix
10-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I think all Spurs fans hope that Parker rebounds and has a decent season. But many of us have been expressing our concerns about the potentially fast dropoff for Parker for years. Only to be ridiculed time and time again.
So while everyone hopes that Parker doesn't fuck up this otherwise promising season, there are a lot of "told you so's" that have been building up should Parker not rebound.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Parker appears to be taking a humble, hard working approach to the season. All good things from my perspective. He'll be fine if he plays within himself. With LMA on board it takes some offensive burden off of everyone, but I'd say especially the Big 3.

ElNono
10-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I wish you were this honest about Manu. Clown.

I have been, especially after 2013. Look it up. I was first in line about a reduced role for him, tbh

ElNono
10-02-2015, 02:40 PM
It doesn't have to mean you love them any less or that they're not important to the team.

They ARE important, that's why you want them healthy, even if they can't impact the game from the same areas they did in the past.

SpursforSix
10-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Parker appears to be taking a humble, hard working approach to the season. All good things from my perspective. He'll be fine if he plays within himself. With LMA on board it takes some offensive burden off of everyone, but I'd say especially the Big 3.

All I want is for him to do is facilitate ball movement, not turnover the ball, and hit the occasional open short jumper. I'm not saying it's worth $15,000,000 but it's all they need from him.

wildcardX
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
All I want is for him to do is facilitate ball movement, not turnover the ball, and hit the occasional open short jumper. I'm not saying it's worth $15,000,000 but it's all they need from him.

:tu
Expectations shouldn't be higher than that for him this year.

Mr Bones
10-02-2015, 05:27 PM
As the best ball handler on the team, and with his much improved 3 pt shooting, Parker should be able to transition into a different type of player. Just as the Spurs made the transition from a team that pounded the ball down inside to Duncan to a more Parker-centric offense, I have no doubt they'll be able to put more focus on ball movement and more shots for Aldridge, Leonard, and Green.

T_L_P
10-02-2015, 05:36 PM
As the best ball handler on the team, and with his much improved 3 pt shooting, Parker should be able to transition into a different type of player. Just as the Spurs made the transition from a team that pounded the ball down inside to Duncan to a more Parker-centric offense, I have no doubt they'll be able to put more focus on ball movement and more shots for Aldridge, Leonard, and Green.

Sounds simple enough.

Problem is, Parker is the one with the ball in his hands most - so if he decides he'd rather be shooting the ball than facilitating, we're screwed.

If we had a Belichick it wouldn't be a problem, but Pop showed us last year that he is too scared to bench Parker, so we're pretty much done if he doesn't accept a role (which he won't).

Mr Bones
10-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Sounds simple enough.

Problem is, Parker is the one with the ball in his hands most - so if he decides he'd rather be shooting the ball than facilitating, we're screwed.

If we had a Belichick it wouldn't be a problem, but Pop showed us last year that he is too scared to bench Parker, so we're pretty much done if he doesn't accept a role (which he won't).

I don't agree. It seems to me judging by Parker's quotes that he is coming to terms with aging and the inevitable slowing down of his game, and understands that he'll have to adapt.

SASdynasty!
10-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Parker broke Nash's back when he dropped 29.6/7.0/3.4/1.5 on him in the 2008 playoff series, tbh

LaMarcus Bryant
10-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Parker broke Nash's back when he dropped 29.6/7.0/3.4/1.5 on him in the 2008 playoff series, tbh

:lol underrated post

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2015, 06:06 PM

:lol underrated post

K...
10-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Sounds simple enough.

Haha, pop scared.....everyone assumes that pop has hindsight but the rational belief was always that Parker could recover better then mills could be pg. Thus pop went with the right horse.

I wanted to talk about another meme....the Parker always blames injury for poor performance. Tony Parker is the guy who drove to the basket time and time again. Yeah gino was more creative but Parker was steady and effective. If you didn't think he ever sustained minor injuries you are delusional. It's not up to a player to say they are too injured to be effective. That's the coach. And hobbled Parker was always better than average. Maybe last year that ceased to be true.

Even if Parker did legitimately lie about injuries, how does that take away the thousands of legit shots he made?

This is the Tony Parker who took more coach abuse than any other spur ever. Parker worked harder on his game than any other player in recent history. Even if he's just average, he gave so much to this team that it's odd people pick out these random complaints about his ego. News flash, there's nothing inherently better about Duncan and Kawhi's autistic attitude from a basketball perspective. Parker has been coacheable his whole career.

The final gripe I have is the people who said that they took shit for calling out Parker for bad play last year. Here is my pity party to anyone who took shit for truthful statements that Parker would not recover in 2014. Whether you had superior basketball knowledge or just a lucky guess your statement does not mean the countless other criticisms are true. All that is proven is that an old player is old. Blessed be those who are still athletic on through their 30s even without having played thousands of nba games. Most of you here are less than attractive, less athletic than Parker even in his tosb state. Please deal with this quietly.

Anyway, don't let facts get on the way of your feelings kids. If you say Parker fakes injuries then it must be true. You are all experts in mind reading and medicine.

rmt
10-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Sounds simple enough.

I hate how Pop panders to him - what - his ego can't take not scoring. Pop's gotta praise him for being a good floor general and he's gotta state that he's gotta trust his team mates?

Kawhitstorm
10-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Haha, pop scared.....everyone assumes that pop has hindsight but the rational belief was always that Parker could recover better then mills could be pg. Thus pop went with the right horse.

I wanted to talk about another meme....the Parker always blames injury for poor performance. Tony Parker is the guy who drove to the basket time and time again. Yeah gino was more creative but Parker was steady and effective. If you didn't think he ever sustained minor injuries you are delusional. It's not up to a player to say they are too injured to be effective. That's the coach. And hobbled Parker was always better than average. Maybe last year that ceased to be true.

Even if Parker did legitimately lie about injuries, how does that take away the thousands of legit shots he made?

This is the Tony Parker who took more coach abuse than any other spur ever. Parker worked harder on his game than any other player in recent history. Even if he's just average, he gave so much to this team that it's odd people pick out these random complaints about his ego. News flash, there's nothing inherently better about Duncan and Kawhi's autistic attitude from a basketball perspective. Parker has been coacheable his whole career.

The final gripe I have is the people who said that they took shit for calling out Parker for bad play last year. Here is my pity party to anyone who took shit for truthful statements that Parker would not recover in 2014. Whether you had superior basketball knowledge or just a lucky guess your statement does not mean the countless other criticisms are true. All that is proven is that an old player is old. Blessed be those who are still athletic on through their 30s even without having played thousands of nba games. Most of you here are less than attractive, less athletic than Parker even in his tosb state. Please deal with this quietly.

Anyway, don't let facts get on the way of your feelings kids. If you say Parker fakes injuries then it must be true. You are all experts in mind reading and medicine.

Wipe off Tony's cum off your face before you fuck yourself w/ a dido.

Mikeanaro
10-02-2015, 06:19 PM
And Nash made Porker fatter in 2010 by sweeping the Spurs with Porker shooting 5/17 during game 3, Nash was 36 years old.

Clipper Nation
10-02-2015, 09:48 PM

SASdynasty!
10-02-2015, 09:56 PM
And Nash made Porker fatter in 2010 by sweeping the Spurs with Porker shooting 5/17 during game 3, Nash was 36 years old.
Lol, he shot above .500 every game of that series except for one.

Maj_G
10-02-2015, 10:17 PM

I think Tony realizes this more than ANYONE else and is like; holy fuck I can give a championship ring to timmy and manu. I am pretty sure tony will be 110% committed this season. Plus LMA is actually a good pick n pop player, and that makes Tony a better. It's easier to penetrate to the basket if LMA's man is not there lol...

Mikeanaro
10-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Lol, he shot above .500 every game of that series except for one.
So? The result was Nash scoring at will over Porker and sweeping the Spurs, making every Suns player around him better at 36 years old.
According to you Porka was too much for a 34y/o Nash, but what happened with the 36y/o?
Lets switch sides, how would perform a 28y/o Nash vs a 36y/o Porka?

apalisoc_9
10-02-2015, 10:33 PM

:lmao

FkLA
10-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Did I read someone mention Enrique has an improved 3 PT shot? The man shot 25% after the all-star break and a whopping 0% in the Clippers series from beyond the arc.

His shot is just as broke as it's always been. Which is why I think he should've focused on developing his 3 PT shot in the off-season, his ballhandling+3 PT shooting could've been useful. Of course being the egotistical player he is, he instead wasted the off-season trying to get 'in-shape' so he can go back to being the heroballer he's always been...and failed miserably at it during Eurobasket.

10-03-2015, 01:40 PM

The thing we have to make clear is that Tony is not Tim Duncan and never will be. He has always blamed his injuries as the culprit for his underperforming seasons. But even MJ declined so I don't know why is so difficult for him to accept it. As you said, he needs to realize he just can't push the machine at the rate he was accustomed 5 years ago.

:sleep

If you actually read the article(which I'm sure you did) you should know tha Parker realizes that being his age, he can't approach the game the sam way. Manu took the same approach after 2013. He didn't change his game completely(cue pic of him going top shelf on Bosh), he just changed how he approached the game. After his abyssmal 2013 performance he blamed injuries just like Parker did and spent the offseason getting into shape. No one criticised him for that, although he was taking a lot of heat at the time(rightfully so).

“But I had the whole summer to accept it. I have to understand I’m not 25 and if I want to play at the same high level, I have to prepare differently.”

“It’s not like when I was 20 — just come two minutes before practice and just practice,”

Clipper Nation
10-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Did I read someone mention Enrique has an improved 3 PT shot? The man shot 25% after the all-star break and a whopping 0% in the Clippers series from beyond the arc.

His shot is just as broke as it's always been. Which is why I think he should've focused on developing his 3 PT shot in the off-season, his ballhandling+3 PT shooting could've been useful. Of course being the egotistical player he is, he instead wasted the off-season trying to get 'in-shape' so he can go back to being the heroballer he's always been...and failed miserably at it during Eurobasket.

apalisoc_9
10-03-2015, 01:48 PM

apalisoc_9
10-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Hope that faggot breaks his legs

10-03-2015, 01:55 PM
And Nash made Porker fatter in 2010 by sweeping the Spurs with Porker shooting 5/17 during game 3, Nash was 36 years old.that 2010 Spurs team was much worse than the 2008 suns team tbh

apalisoc_9
10-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Notice how he talks about preparing differently and approaching the game differently from the standpoint of preparation but never about role...He wants to prepare so he can heroball even more.

He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Manu or Timmy...The guy is an absolute jackass..He still trying to be the man at this stage of his career...even though no one in their right mind would put this asshole in any top 10 PG list...

Mikeanaro
10-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Well at least he is not a kid anymore, can eat all the ham sandwiches he wants.

Arcadian
10-03-2015, 05:23 PM
In 2k16, I traded Parker and Simmons for Monta Ellis and Shaun Hill. Good move in real life?

ElNono
10-03-2015, 05:52 PM
If you actually read the article(which I'm sure you did) you should know tha Parker realizes that being his age, he can't approach the game the sam way. Manu took the same approach after 2013. He didn't change his game completely(cue pic of him going top shelf on Bosh), he just changed how he approached the game. After his abyssmal 2013 performance he blamed injuries just like Parker did and spent the offseason getting into shape. No one criticised him for that, although he was taking a lot of heat at the time(rightfully so).

:rolleyes

I actually heard the entire interview, it's on Spurs.com. What you quoted had to do with how he was preparing for the season (ie: "I have to come in one hour early"). When the interview started he said he got hurt two months into last season and then he never recovered. He said every player has ups and downs. And then kept saying "If I'm healthy, I can play well" throughout the interview. My comments have everything to do with his comments.

And no, Manu didn't blame injuries for 2013. He blamed a mental approach, his diet, but he never said he was hurt. Plus Manu changed his game dramatically, being much more of a play maker instead of a slasher/scorer, and taking a lesser role. Eventually, in 2014 he had to take command a few times due to certain players being hurt, but generally speaking, he picked his spots, he definitely was not, and was not trying to be the SuperManu of yore. He's fully aware those days are gone.

Listen, I'm rooting for Tony. I don't think my post was demeaning at all. I think he has a very important role to play in this team. As other have said, he's the more solid ball handler on this team.

But he also needs to help himself. He can't come running full steam ahead in the first two months, then get hurt again. That would spell trouble for the Spurs. And there's no reason for him to do that right now, IMO, as we have other people that can carry more of a scoring load.

Spurtacular
10-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Parker can talk all he wants about how he feels great; but if Pop doesn't limit his minutes to 25-27 mpg, then he's probably gonna get injured again.

TheDoctor
10-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Parker can talk all he wants about how he feels great; but if Pop doesn't limit his minutes to 25-27 mpg, then he's probably gonna get injured again.

^ THIS, tbh. The worrisome part is when he talks about trying to be in that "championship shape again" he was before. As ElNono said, he needs to change his approach to the game.

Ice009
10-05-2015, 01:46 AM

lol, people around here are slow to the party. I wanted him to start shooting 3 pointers in games around 2010 or so. That would have been about 4-5 years of working with Chip and by then I thought they should have added the 3 point shot to his arsenal. I was always a little disappointed every time that he came back from the off-season that he still hadn't added it to his game. I mean, I do recall him saying that Pop didn't want him shooting them, but still, he should have taken a couple a game. I find it negligent that he's worked with one of the best shooting coaches and after all these years still hasn't added a 3 point shot to his game. I have no idea why Pop didn't make that a priority years ago and had him shooting a few per game to hone it and add it to his repertoire. It could have helped him not have as many miles as he has at this current juncture and saved some punishment on his body.

If it was Pop's choice for him not to shoot them, then I don't know why it was OK for Manu to shoot more 3 pointers so there was less punishment on his body, but not OK for TP to do the same.