PDA

View Full Version : How do you make up for the lost of an instant scorer off the bench?

apalisoc_9
10-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Although not exactly the biggest of problem, Bellineli left a role that none of the current bench players we have this year can replicate. Patty, has played this current role of his for a couple of season already..so he's not an option. I highly doubt Simmons or Anderson can replicate the superior off ball movements of Bellineli. He was an instant scorer. The team looked for him when he was on the floor.

He averaged around 20 minutes last year. Even if we're to assume Leonard shouldering even more load in the offense, it isn't enough to cover the 20 minutes...

Patty Playing more?
Green playing more?

YGWHI
10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Patty or Danny? who is shooting better...But I'd like to see Danny getting more playing time even if his 3's aren't falling

Spurtacular
10-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I don't know about "replicating." Beli has a unique combo or body and skill set. But West, Jimmer, Simmons, Anderson can make the bench more of a force this season. That's pretty awesome when you think about it.

Brian Windhorst
10-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Replace a guy who can't shoot outside the circle with one of the most prolific PF scorers in the league.

benefactor
10-04-2015, 04:23 PM
That Dude will be missed tbh. Hopefully they found a diamond in the rough in Simmons. He fits the mold as a versatile 2 guard more than any other player. Patty returning to form would be huge as well.

spurraider21
10-04-2015, 04:49 PM
the point guard takes on a heavier scoring role

BD24
10-04-2015, 05:22 PM
the point guard takes on a heavier scoring role
:lol

jon123spurs
10-04-2015, 05:32 PM
One word "Jimmer."

Sean Cagney
10-04-2015, 08:33 PM
That Dude will be missed tbh. Hopefully they found a diamond in the rough in Simmons. He fits the mold as a versatile 2 guard more than any other player. Patty returning to form would be huge as well.

He was one of the few who showed up in the playoffs last year along with Patty (Tim too of course), he will be missed so I hope someone else can step up. His 3 still sticks out against Miami when they cut the lead to 7 and he stepped up and hit that huge shot to stall the run.

K...
10-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Hopefully the starting unit can build leads and this becomes less of an issue.

With the bench. The talent is there, but the chemistry is what we're waiting on. I honestly have no idea and I don't even think pop knows right now. Much more important to build the starting unit and then we can fuck around with the bench during the season.

tholdren
10-04-2015, 09:09 PM
you get another shooting G who pulls from anywhere = Jimmer.

The area Spurs will need to replace in a big way is Manu. This won't be done, and KL can't do it... KA or bust

Spurtacular
10-04-2015, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Beli back in SA next season.

spurraider21
10-04-2015, 09:26 PM
me neither. we host the kings twice

ironman2886
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
All I heard from this board is how Beli's offensive production is cancelled out by his horrible defense. Make up your mind.

exstatic
10-04-2015, 09:34 PM
By adding a stud scorer to your starting lineup.

Leetonidas
10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Always was a fan of That Dude and wish him well. Too bad we couldn't retain him but sac gave him more than he was worth imo

SAGirl
10-04-2015, 10:42 PM
I am going to say, is this a meltdown thread before the season starts? You guys are hilarious making me laugh with all these. :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
10-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Lance Dunbar, Brice Butler... oh wait, they're all injured, too.

K...
10-04-2015, 10:57 PM

You know he's tosb right? That Italian blood don't really help old jumpshooters.

mookie2001
10-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Will not be missed.

Spurtacular
10-04-2015, 11:27 PM
You know he's tosb right? That Italian blood don't really help old jumpshooters.

He was one of the better players in the Clippers series....

Spurtacular
10-04-2015, 11:29 PM
me neither. we host the kings twice

Beli's contract will be reasonable by after this season; and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't fit the Kings. Not saying it'll happen; just saying he could come back. $6 mil for a shooter proven in our system is not a big deal if the cap space is there.

10-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Wanker didn't play a lick of defense

Raven
10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
damn this season is going to be the best ever.

benfti
10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Is just rotational thing, I doubt we will frequently see Patty, Manu, ? , West, Diaw all at one go, Danny or Kawhi just stay in. West is the only one of those guys who is not a recognised perimeter threat. With that being said he is going to be a more respected interior and mid range threat than Baynes was so that is going to draw more inside defence. I'm not 100% sure we need more spacing out there because anytime Bobo goes out his man goes with him.

I really like like the look of the second unit no matter who plays the 3, though if I got a vote I'd go for Simmons because of his athleticism and someone needs to get out on the break with Patty.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2015, 07:49 AM
I wasn't a fan, at all, but he will be missed..outside of a few games vs. a Clippers team with an atrocious bench, he was mostly a no-show during the playoffs during his time as a Spur..however, he was always huge during the regular season, and you'll always miss a player that shot 40+% from 3 and had great chemistry with the primary playmaker in the bench unit(Manu)..

I don't think the Spurs will be able to replace his production with the same style of play..I expect Green to play 30 for the first time, which will improve the defense, but we'll see a different style of scoring through the bench's Beli replacement, probably more Anderson post-ups or giving Simmons a chance to play off the dribble IMO..

Spurs still need somebody to alleviate Manu's playmaking duties, though..Beli didn't do much of that, if they can find somebody to replace some of Manu's load, it would be worth the loss of Beli..

Fireball
10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
very good takes here ... Belli was just a player when he was hot, nobody was hotter than him (thats why he replaced Neal so well) ... watching him playing for Italy this summer was awesome in that regard. yes, statistics say his defense is so bad, but his shooting, cutting and passing made him a positive factor for me (its just what I saw, but I tend to overlook defensive mistakes)

I think our bench as a whole can make up his production, but outside of Patty we have no bench scorer who can get on a roll and decide a game himself with his production (is Manu still able to do that?). Its gonna be team effort ...

Man I am excited for the season to start ...

Gladney to see you
10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Can't imagine going to the kings from here.

Chinook
10-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Beli's contract will be reasonable by after this season; and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't fit the Kings. Not saying it'll happen; just saying he could come back. $6 mil for a shooter proven in our system is not a big deal if the cap space is there.

Spurs aren't giving up assets for a completely replaceable player. Neal, on the other hand, will actually be a free agent next summer. If the Spurs are desperate, that might be a step they take.

Old School 44
10-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Beli was good because offensively when he was run off the three point line, he could do something else to get off his shot. I'll miss his fake, then side step escape dribble and launch. One of the best in the business at doing this.

Won't miss his defense. You can count on teams going right at him as soon as he entered the game.

SAGirl
10-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Marco just had an awesome inaugural game with Kings. Marco what a shootout!!! Getting stuck in every pick and then hitting shots galore.. Reminds you why you had that love/hate relationship lol :lol

aintjustthem
10-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Belinelli is balling right now!

Rito3d30
10-05-2015, 11:29 PM
god damn I miss him already

P.S: feel bad for J.Anderson

timtonymanu
10-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Blazers are gonna be so ugly to watch this year.