PDA

View Full Version : Opening day roster prediction

SilverSpur
10-06-2015, 12:26 AM
The following is my prediction for the roster to start the season if we carry 15 players, but if we only carry 13 players I see Fredette being assigned to Austin and Bonner being sent up stairs to be part of Public Relations.
What do you think will be the roster for the season?

1. Tim Duncan - C/PF
2. LaMarcus Aldridge - PF/C
3. Boban Marjanovic - C
4. Boris Diaw - PF/C
5. David West - F
6. Matt Bonner - F
7. Kawhi Leonard - SF
8. DeShaun Thomas - SF
9. Kyle Anderson - SF/G
10. Danny Green - G
11. Manu Ginobili - G
12. Patty Mills - G
13. Tony Parker - G
14. Ray McCallum - G
15. Jimmer Fredette - G
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

ChumpDumper
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Take out Thomas/Fredette and add Butler/Simmons.

apalisoc_9
10-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Fredette and Thomas over a two year contract of Simmons. :lmao

1. Kawhi
2. Tim
3. LMA
4. Manu
5. Danny
6. Patty
7. Boris
8. West
9. Ray McCallum
10. Boban
11. Bonner
12. Parker
13. Anderson
14. Butler not dressed
15. Simmons

Robz4000
10-06-2015, 01:27 AM

1. Kawhi
2. Tim
3. LMA
4. Manu
5. Danny
6. Patty
7. Boris
8. West
9. Ray McCallum
10. Boban
11. Bonner
12. Parker
13. Anderson
14. Butler not dressed
15. Simmons

Basically this.

SAGirl
10-06-2015, 01:41 AM
Simmons over Thomas. This one was easy. I get the impression Simmons has a role to play (perimeter defense), whereas Thomas forced himself into camp.

Fredette/Rasual is 50/50 for me. I know about all the concerns with Fredette, but he's a scorer, can handle the basketball (at least comparable to Marco) and is 26. Rasual is a spot up guy, who can give you some minutes at 36. We already have too many old guys, so I don't like this pickup, but the man is a vet who can stay ready at the end of the bench if you need him. Wing depth is a need. Regardless, I need to see them play for myself.

Gladney to see you
10-06-2015, 07:09 AM
I like Jimmer's 95% free throw percentage. He doesn't need to play to shoot them well.

exstatic
10-06-2015, 07:21 AM
They're not going to keep Thomas, on a non guaranteed deal with no hope of defending NBA players, over Simmons on a fully guaranteed deal.

Old School 44
10-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Simmons over Thomas. This one was easy. I get the impression Simmons has a role to play (perimeter defense), whereas Thomas forced himself into camp.

Fredette/Rasual is 50/50 for me. I know about all the concerns with Fredette, but he's a scorer, can handle the basketball (at least comparable to Marco) and is 26. Rasual is a spot up guy, who can give you some minutes at 36. We already have too many old guys, so I don't like this pickup, but the man is a vet who can stay ready at the end of the bench if you need him. Wing depth is a need. Regardless, I need to see them play for myself.

I'd rather go with potential/youth too. We already have tons of experience (old guys). :)

Chinook
10-06-2015, 08:43 AM
We already have too many old guys,

I disagree. The Spurs have the Big Three, Diaw, West and Bonner as guys older than 31 (since LMA being 30 doesn't make him an older player in anyone's mind). The Spurs aren't that old, especially on the wings. The Spurs have two minutes sponges as their starters in Green and Kawhi and two prospects on their bench in Anderson and Simmons. So they could totally afford to sign another vet to play next to Manu. If Butler were a big, I could see the concern. But including Patty and McCallum, the team is rather young on the perimeter.

Mal
10-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Bonner or Boban will sit. If Butler makes team, he`ll be out of lineup, because Slomo will be Kiwi`s backup.

snickles
10-06-2015, 09:53 AM
The following is my prediction for the roster to start the season if we carry 15 players, but if we only carry 13 players I see Fredette being assigned to Austin and Bonner being sent up stairs to be part of Public Relations.

well for starters, a player assigned to austin still takes up a roster spot.....

thomas isn't making the team. not going to rehash why, scroll up and read everyone else's posts.

i REALLY wish bonner had retired. IMO, in a perfect world we keep both butler and ferdette. they both fill a potential need. one is an insurance policy at the 1/2 to cover for injury/rest. the other is a true backup 3, which we haven't had in how long? they both have skills the team can utilize. the question, which we won't know until well into the season: which is the greater need?

dbestpro
10-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Makes most sense to move Bonner to front office and bring him back if needed at mid-season. Jimmer and Butler or Thomas would take the last two spots.

Spurtacular
10-06-2015, 12:24 PM
It's gonna be what we've known for like two months now:

1. Duncan
2. Jimmer
3. Manu
4. Green
5. West
6. Mills
7. Diaw
8. Bonner
9. Kawhi
10. Simmons
11. Boban
12. LMA
13. Anderson
14. Parker
15. McCallum

ChumpDumper
10-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Really, just put Jimmer at #1.

Spurtacular
10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
i REALLY wish bonner had retired. IMO, in a perfect world we keep both butler and ferdette. they both fill a potential need. one is an insurance policy at the 1/2 to cover for injury/rest. the other is a true backup 3, which we haven't had in how long? they both have skills the team can utilize. the question, which we won't know until well into the season: which is the greater need?

True. But I think Pop has enough option at the 3; particularly, he is banking on Anderson stepping up. Rasual would be an asset though. Get rid of Jimmer and the guards are suddenly looking really thin.

Spurtacular
10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Makes most sense to move Bonner to front office and bring him back if needed at mid-season. Jimmer and Butler or Thomas would take the last two spots.

What need does Thomas fill? Bonner fills a need. He might not be the sexy choice; but he adds value.

cjw
10-06-2015, 03:55 PM
What need does Thomas fill? Bonner fills a need. He might not be the sexy choice; but he adds value.

Right - as much as some refuse to admit it, he's valuable to unclog the paint and force the opposition to make a move with its lineup. When his shot is on, even better. Defensively, his RPM is horrible but he's actually playable in certain matchups and can frustrate certain guys.

I do worry though that he declined pretty substantially last year and it could get worse.

ceperez
10-06-2015, 04:13 PM
BS Post... How in the world is Simmons not in the lineup???!

dbestpro
10-06-2015, 05:04 PM

First half of the season is for experimentation. If Thomas is the choice, he would spend most of the time in Austin. If Butler is the choice, then some people are going to spend time in a suit. If Bonner is kept, he is going to spend time in a suit, anyway. If the experiment does not work, you can always role out Bonner, who could be working as a coach to this point, at mid-season. I like Thomas because he fills the role of the player who could go to Austin and see if he could develop some NBA value.

Ditty
10-06-2015, 05:09 PM
1.Duncan
2.Aldridge
3.Leonard
4.Green
5.Parker
6.Boban
7.West
8.Diaw
9.Anderson
10.Butler
11.Simmons
12.Mills
13.McCallum
14.Bonner
15.Ginobili

ginobilized
10-06-2015, 05:34 PM
1.Duncan
2.Aldridge
3.Leonard
4.Green
5.Parker
6.Boban
7.West
8.Diaw
9.Anderson
10.Fredette
11.Simmons
12.Mills
13.McCallum
14.Bonner
15.Ginobili

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Unless something changes

Beaverfuzz
10-06-2015, 05:58 PM
It's gonna be what we've known for like two months now:

1. Duncan
2. Jimmer
3. Manu
4. Green
5. West
6. Mills
7. Diaw
8. Bonner
9. Kawhi
10. Simmons
11. Boban
12. LMA
13. Anderson
14. Parker
15. McCallum

This

Nathan89
10-06-2015, 05:58 PM
As mentioned Simmons over Thomas.

Jimmer will make the team over Butler as well.

SAGirl
10-06-2015, 06:13 PM
I disagree. The Spurs have the Big Three, Diaw, West and Bonner as guys older than 31 (since LMA being 30 doesn't make him an older player in anyone's mind). The Spurs aren't that old, especially on the wings. The Spurs have two minutes sponges as their starters in Green and Kawhi and two prospects on their bench in Anderson and Simmons. So they could totally afford to sign another vet to play next to Manu. If Butler were a big, I could see the concern. But including Patty and McCallum, the team is rather young on the perimeter. You are right on this (age not being so much a factor since we are young on perimeter guys). We would be fine with Rasual if he's got his stroke going and it appears he does. We'll see. I am not convinced either way bc I want to see Jimmer vs. Rasual live! lol (I tend to gravitate toward younger players always, but sometimes they are Daye and cannot knock Bonner out of the rotation--bad joke bc I never rooted for Daye):p:
:bobo

barbacoataco
10-06-2015, 07:48 PM
I hope Simmons makes it

tholdren
10-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Tim Boris Boban
LMA West
KL Anderson Butler Simmons
Manu Green Patty
Tony Ray Jimmer

Spurtacular
10-06-2015, 08:07 PM
First half of the season is for experimentation. If Thomas is the choice, he would spend most of the time in Austin. If Butler is the choice, then some people are going to spend time in a suit. If Bonner is kept, he is going to spend time in a suit, anyway. If the experiment does not work, you can always role out Bonner, who could be working as a coach to this point, at mid-season. I like Thomas because he fills the role of the player who could go to Austin and see if he could develop some NBA value.

Suits are for 14th and 15th men. Someone has to be cut to bring in Thomas. And I don't know what need he fills. He may end up being an okay NBA player; but his stats don't scream anything to me that we would bump someone for him.

tholdren
10-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Suits are for 14th and 15th men. Someone has to be cut to bring in Thomas. And I don't know what need he fills. He may end up being an okay NBA player; but his stats don't scream anything to me that we would bump someone for him.
hes terrible

TD 21
10-07-2015, 06:18 PM
1. Duncan - C
2. Aldridge - PF/C
3. Leonard - SF
4. Green - SG/SF
5. Parker - PG
6. Ginobili - SG
7. Diaw - PF
8. Mills - PG
9. West - PF/C
10. Anderson - SF
11. Marjanovic - C
12. McCallum - PG
13. Bonner - PF
14. Butler - SF
15. Simmons - SG

kobyz
10-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Perry Jones gonna be cut by Boston, would he be worth signing for the last roster spot?

ChumpDumper
10-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Anyone care to revise their Jimmer over Butler predictions?

NameLess Scrub
10-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Seems to me the roster is set except for Jimmer vs Butler.

They will probably be evaluated from a 3&D standpoint and the best will be picked at the end of pre-season.

freemeat
10-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I just can't see Jimmer making this team. I was hopeful he'd be a nice fill-in for Marco, after getting a little experience -- able to shoot the 3, create shots against bench defenders, and run the offense (find the best shots and a run-and-gun with someone like Manu). I know that was only one preseason game, but Jimmer looks lost. He looks like a walk-on, right out of high school. The Spurs already have 3 point guards, so that's not an option. Since he can't play SF (he's too small, even when the team wants that look), you have to bring Butler in to backup Kawhi and Anderson, since Anderson is really unproven.

My prediction -- and hope -- is that Butler gets that last spot and Jimmer spends some time in Austin. Pop's gonna look at him as a rookie and make him work his way onto the club and back in the NBA.

SAGirl
10-09-2015, 02:57 PM
I'll take butler

Splits
10-09-2015, 04:27 PM

I'm going to say neither and the Spurs roll with 14 to start the season.

Kawhi 5-0
10-10-2015, 04:01 AM

Or Bonner as a player-coach in 80s shorts like he's on the Flint Tropics. Wonder what the rules on player-coach are? Who was the most recent?

dabom
10-10-2015, 04:04 AM

What's your prediction faggot?

Kawhi 5-0
10-10-2015, 04:05 AM

Well-put! I agree that Bonner has a unique skill set which can become pretty priceless if he's making shots. Hopefully he switched back to an iPhone 5 and lost that case of tennis elbow.

Kawhi 5-0
10-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Right - as much as some refuse to admit it, he's valuable to unclog the paint and force the opposition to make a move with its lineup. When his shot is on, even better. Defensively, his RPM is horrible but he's actually playable in certain matchups and can frustrate certain guys.

I do worry though that he declined pretty substantially last year and it could get worse.

I don't think he can get worse unless he somehow got a hold of an iPhone 7 prototype.

Kawhi 5-0
10-10-2015, 04:10 AM
You are right on this (age not being so much a factor since we are young on perimeter guys). We would be fine with Rasual if he's got his stroke going and it appears he does. We'll see. I am not convinced either way bc I want to see Jimmer vs. Rasual live! lol (I tend to gravitate toward younger players always, but sometimes they are Daye and cannot knock Bonner out of the rotation--bad joke bc I never rooted for Daye):p:
:bobo

I think Nintendo is rolling out a Jimmer vs. Rasual game within the month.

SilverSpur
10-10-2015, 10:29 AM

1. Kawhi
2. Tim
3. LMA
4. Manu
5. Danny
6. Patty
7. Boris
8. West
9. Ray McCallum
10. Boban
11. Bonner
12. Parker
13. Anderson
14. Butler not dressed
15. Simmons

Wasn't Bryce Cotton signed to a two year partially guaranteed contract and nothing came of that. In fact he ended up signing with the Jazz. So don't automatically expect Simmons to make the team.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2015, 11:26 AM
What's your prediction faggot?I've already made mine. You were too busy not watching any games to notice.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Wasn't Bryce Cotton signed to a two year partially guaranteed contract and nothing came of that. In fact he ended up signing with the Jazz. So don't automatically expect Simmons to make the team.Simmons' contract is fully guaranteed this season, so his situation is a little different.

SAGirl
10-10-2015, 06:44 PM
I think Nintendo is rolling out a Jimmer vs. Rasual game within the month.

:lmao
:flag:

Are they also rolling a Tony vs. LMA vs. Kiwi, all against all, winner takes all?

kobyz
10-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Not to brag about but just a reminder, i was the first that came up with the Butler idea, early in the free agency season...

kobyz
10-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Is bonner contract grounted? I don't see any reason to keep him with butler seems that could do stretch four role if pop want him to not worse than bonner...

apalisoc_9
10-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Not to brag about but just a reminder, i was the first that came up with the Butler idea, early in the free agency season...

no you're not..Harlem, Chinook and YGHWI first came up with it.

Keep your revisionist History tactics in Politixs. We're not palestinians, we can actually fight for our opinions here.

kobyz
10-11-2015, 01:21 PM
no you're not..Harlem, Chinook and YGHWI first came up with it.

Keep your revisionist History tactics in Politixs. We're not palestinians, we can actually fight for our opinions here.

Go fight by making another username and Harlem knows shit, he's a sad joke!

Kawhi 5-0
10-12-2015, 07:30 AM
:lmao
:flag:

Are they also rolling a Tony vs. LMA vs. Kiwi, all against all, winner takes all?

Haha :) I'm showing my age, but I remember when Jordan vs. Bird was the big video game. I'm way behind now.

ginobilized
10-12-2015, 10:52 AM
*coughs twice* Yeah, I'd like to revise my Jimmer over Butler prediction, please.

CGD
10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Damn good starting line up and depth:

Parker
Green
Leonard
Aldridge
Duncan

Mills
Ginobilli
Anderson
Diaw
Marjonovic

McCallum
Simmons
Butler
West
Bonner

Spurtacular
10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
*coughs twice* Yeah, I'd like to revise my Jimmer over Butler prediction, please.

You'd be wrong.

Seventyniner
10-12-2015, 03:57 PM
1. Duncan - C
2. Aldridge - PF/C
3. Leonard - SF
4. Green - SG/SF
5. Parker - PG
6. Ginobili - SG
7. Diaw - PF
8. Mills - PG
9. West - PF/C
10. Anderson - SF
11. Marjanovic - C
12. McCallum - PG
13. Bonner - PF
14. Butler - SF
15. Simmons - SG

This, though I might put Simmons above Bonner and Butler.

spurtech09
10-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Take out Thomas/Fredette and add Butler/Simmons.+1

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-13-2015, 11:16 AM
I think the 13-15 spots are up for grabs. I imagine it looking like this:

14 - Marjanovic
15 - Simmons

LittleCriminal
10-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Anybody foreseeing a trade?

SAGirl
10-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Is Bonner injured TBH? He played only 5 mins the first game and had -4 impact but in reality didn't contribute a thing and missed his 2 threes that he took. He was seen with hot towels on both calves in the bench. Last game was sitting next to the coaches and didn't play either. Butler has been getting Bonner minutes as a stretch 4. Everyone else expected to contribute this year and some guys who are trying to earn a spot have played, except Diaw who's in rehab (I don't know what he tweaked??). Maybe the coaches are getting a look at Butler as a possible 3/4 stretch forward.

BillMc
10-14-2015, 06:57 PM

14 - Marjanovic
15 - Simmons

I think Boban's slow learning curve, may mean Bonner makes the team again.

Jimmer, I suspect, won't make it. Hoping for Butler but he's far from a sure thing.

tholdren
10-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Boban needs some footwork. Simmons is too out of control.

Chinook
10-14-2015, 07:23 PM

14 - Marjanovic
15 - Simmons

Who the hell is 13 in that scenario?

TD 21
10-14-2015, 09:34 PM
This, though I might put Simmons above Bonner and Butler.

Simmons is going to be spending plenty of time in the D-League, barring simultaneous wing injuries.

Bonner/Butler will be dependent on whether Anderson nails down fourth wing. If he does, they'll probably activate Bonner more often than not just out of seniority with the organization. For balance/blowout purposes, it would obviously make more sense to dress five wings/bigs than four/six, though.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Who the hell is 13 in that scenario?

It was Bonner, but now I'm not thinking he's a lock either.

13 - Marjanovic
14 - Simmons
15 - Bonner
16 - Butler (cut)
17 - Fredette (cut)

To be honest, if Butler would have had a great game tonight, I think he'd have made it over Matty.

Chinook
10-15-2015, 08:20 AM
It was Bonner, but now I'm not thinking he's a lock either.

13 - Marjanovic
14 - Simmons
15 - Bonner
16 - Butler (cut)
17 - Fredette (cut)

To be honest, if Butler would have had a great game tonight, I think he'd have made it over Matty.

Then who's 12?

Parker, Mills
Green, Manu
Leonard, Anderson
Aldridge, West
Duncan, Diaw.

I'm willing to accept that those are the top 10. With the five you listed, that leaves McCallum, Ndoye, Wiliams, Sykes and Thomas. You have two of those five making the team. McCallum, sure. He's 11. But who else?