PDA

View Full Version : Opening game: How to beat the Thunder?

YGWHI
10-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Since Pop will experiment with different lineups in the first games this is more about how to beat them through the season.

We don't know enough about Durant's recovery or Ibaka's latest injury, and the questions about their health won't be completely answered in the preseason games.
If Durant stays healthy he should get back to MVP level of play, but it's not a given that he'll stay healthy after three surgeries.

Assuming his foot heals fine, on paper the Thunder might be a better team than 2014 WCF OKC?

The new coach is expected to be an upgrade over Brooks but the transition from college to NBA isn't easy. Anyway, he won't be alone, Monty Williams and Mo Cheeks are experienced coaches. Also, Donovan emphasis on ball movement will be a nice change for the Thunder. If Durant durability is a concern, managing his minutes and a new style -instead of Brooks iso-heavy scheme- can help.

Augustin, Waiters, Morrow and Kanter, make the Thunder a better team?
Kanter's a nice component, he provides interior scoring, but he finished with a defensive RPM of minus-3.87, the worst mark of any center in the NBA.
They also added depth on the wing with Morrow, he can give them the wing shooter they've needed, but he's still a defensive negative.
Aldridge and Kawhi should attack both -and Durant- without mercy.

We should play the new wall defense against them?
The zone defense can mask individual defensive deficiencies, it will help to hide Parker's D, Tim's loss of movility and Splitter departure, also can be effective at preventing Westbrook penetrations. But with Durant, Morrow now, and Ibaka expanding his range to 3-point territory wall strategy will work?

Who're the better small ball team? Thunder or Spurs?
I'd pick Spurs over Thunder all day. Leonard, Aldridge, Duncan, West and Diaw is one of the best NBA froncourts because of the depth and versatility of our forwards.
With many talented bigs and Kawhi/Danny duo, the Spurs won't need to go small very often but if they want, West and Aldridge are dream additions for any small-ball lineup.
However, it'll be so interesting to watch Kawhi at PF position and Aldridge/West as centers against Durant and Ibaka.

So...can Durant get back to his old form? Are they a better team now? Will the Spurs wall defense work against them? Go small or keep big against OKC?

tmtcsc
10-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Show up.

Raven
10-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Show up.

K...
10-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Show up.

Basically, as much as we'll be tinkering okc has to work in Durant and Billy Donovan. Just play basketball.

Too many variables and no game tape of the Donovan thunder make it hard to predict.

Splits
10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Score more points than them.

ChumpDumper
10-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Unleash the Jimmer.

Fireball
10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
you bring up some interesting points, but we really need to watch some meaningful games from both teams

Leetonidas
10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
We need to make sure their total points are less than ours

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks Magic.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Execute on offense, make shots, play solid defense.

Darius Bieber
10-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Thunder by 30 tbh

SpursforSix
10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Put Velcro on the ceiling.

SpursforSix
10-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Wet their lips and stick them to the wall.

SAGirl
10-07-2015, 04:45 PM
I didn't even watch OKC last year with all their new guys TBH, so I don't know. I do hope Durant has a good year and is healthy. The watching quality of games is greatly diminished when stars are out. There is also no glory in defeating a decimated OKC team.

Dex
10-07-2015, 04:45 PM

1. Score points.
2. Prevent opponent from scoring points.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Brian Windhorst
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Hope they play Kanter, Waiters, Roberson, and Singler 25+ minutes. Their team is arguably worse than the one we beat in 2014, and we're definitely better.

HarlemHeat37
10-07-2015, 05:05 PM
There isn't much strategy that goes into regular season NBA games, let alone the first game of the year, tbh..as Pop and other coaches have said, they only really have time to worry about their own teams, rather than thoroughly preparing for opposition on short rest..

Especially considering the Spurs are integrating Aldridge/West and the Thunder are getting back Durant to play with Kanter/Waiters, too, it'll probably be a little ugly on both sides..

ElNono
10-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Don't forget they have a new coach also, and likely a new system. Gonna be difficult to gameplan, tbh... I'm not sure you can gather too much info from a few preseason games...

Silver&Black
10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Don't forget they have a new coach also, and likely a new system. Gonna be difficult to gameplan, tbh... I'm not sure you can gather too much info from a few preseason games...

You think Billy Donovan will change it up that much?

I still see a lot of Westbrook PnR in their future tbh.

ElNono
10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
You think Billy Donovan will change it up that much?

I still see a lot of Westbrook PnR in their future tbh.

I do. I mean, you'll have the usual KD/RW ISOs, but I expect a new defensive system and a different approach to their offense, especially off the bench.

What that will look like is anybody's guess...

exstatic
10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
OKC has no one to defend the post. Kanter is a turnstile, and Abaka is purely a weak side shot blocker.

spursistan
10-07-2015, 08:09 PM
season opener with plenty of unknowns to be known for both squads..it has chance to be both a sloppy and free wheeling affair which often end up a in nailbiter in both extreme; either 84-82 score or 122-120 type of game..

apalisoc_9
10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Feed kawhi the ball

Reduce Parker to Spot up

Listen To sean ELLIIIOT demands to feed the ball to Kawhi

Clipper Nation
10-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Demote Porker to the Toros' bench.

apalisoc_9
10-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Demote Porker to the Toros' bench.

You're overrating Parker.

Kawhitstorm
10-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Their shooting guard position is questionable so double either Westbrook or Durant & dare Andre Roberson or Dion Waiters to beat you.

Clipper Nation
10-07-2015, 11:50 PM
You're overrating Parker.

True. On second thought, deporting Porker to France would ensure a Spurs victory.

apalisoc_9
10-07-2015, 11:59 PM
True. On second thought, deporting Porker to France would ensure a Spurs victory.

You sure the french team actual wants his ass back in France after the embarrassment of eurobasket?

French posters like Brazil even made a RIP thread..As if he wanted him dead.

Again you're overrating him brah.

pookenstein
10-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Pop should give a big "Fuck You" to the league by resting Tim/Tony/Manu/LMA/West/Kawhi/Green in the very first game. Imagine the media-meltdown...
:lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
What's your next post, "SEASON: HOW TO GO UNDEFEATED"

Horse
10-08-2015, 12:52 PM
If they do go with a heavy ball movement offense how will this affect a guy like westbrook who needs balls in his hands or mouth?

YGWHI
10-08-2015, 08:11 PM
What's your next post, "SEASON: HOW TO GO UNDEFEATED"

Of course....:flag:

YGWHI
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
If they do go with a heavy ball movement offense how will this affect a guy like westbrook who needs balls in his hands or mouth?

Well...I think Westbrook'll try to convince himself of the benefits of ball movement. All good offenses have good spacing and movement, the Thunder can thrive with their go-to duo in regular season, but they know it wasn't a effective way to win a title.

They looked good yesterday, tbh. It would be an exaggeration to say "Durant MVP is back" like some part of the media said, but no limp and shooting well.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-09-2015, 09:13 AM
What is this, football? It's not like you lose the first game, you're already behind the 8 ball the rest of the way. 81 more to go, fellas