PDA

View Full Version : Wizards: Caron Butler's inside account of the Gilbert Arenas gun incident

JohnnyMax
10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/10/07/i-play-with-guns-caron-butlers-inside-account-of-the-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident/

Caron Butler’s memoirs, “Tuff Juice: My Journey from the Streets to the NBA,” was officially released on Wednesday. While the former Wizards All-Star forward mostly focuses on his rough childhood and the challenges of his teen-aged years, he also included several pages about his time in Washington, including a first-person account of the gun incident that tore the franchise apart. In this excerpt, Butler provides his first extended on-the-record account of the episode, which began in December 2009.

On the flight home the next night after we lost at Phoenix, Gilbert, teammate Javaris Crittenton, and several other players were in a card game that got real heated. While Gilbert was a dominating presence on the team, Javaris didn’t roll with some of his ways. The players were in seats facing each other with a pull-out table between them. I was in the seat next to them half asleep as we began our descent into DC.

My eyes popped open when I heard Javaris say, “Put the money back. Put the [expletive] money back.”

“I ain’t putting [expletive] back,” Gilbert replied. “Get it the way Tyson got the title. Might or fight or whatever you got to do to get your money back. Otherwise, you ain’t gettin’ it.”

When Gilbert put the money in his pocket, Javaris lunged over the table to grab him. Antawn Jamison, seated across the aisle, leaped up, shoved Javaris’s shoulder down on the table, and held it there with the full weight of his body while telling him to calm down.

I got up and yelled “Hey, everybody shut the [expletive] up. How much was in the pot?”

It was $1,100.

“It shouldn’t be that hard to pay what you owe him,” I told Gilbert. “We all make a great living, so just pay the money.”

A man who has a $111 million contract shouldn’t be fighting over $1,100.

Message not received. The two of them kept arguing as we buckled up for the landing.

They were still going at it when we all got on an airport shuttle van to take us to our vehicles.

Ernie Grunfeld, the team president, leaned over to me and said in a pleading manner, “Talk to them.”

“I did,” I told him, “but they keep arguing.”

Everyone could hear Gilbert and Javaris going at it as we rode along.

“I’ll see your [expletive] at practice and you know what I do,” Gilbert said.

“What the [expletive] you mean, you know what I do?” replied Javaris.

“I play with guns.”

“Well I play with guns, too.”

We had the next day off, but on the following day, December 21, practice started at ten o’clock at the Verizon Center so we all wandered in a little earlier.

When I entered the locker room, I thought I had somehow been transported back to my days on the streets of Racine. Gilbert was standing in front of his two locker stalls, the ones previously used by Michael Jordan, with four guns on display. Javaris was standing in front of his own stall, his back to Gilbert.

“Hey, MF, come pick one,” Gilbert told Javaris while pointing to the weapons. “I’m going to shoot your [expletive] with one of these.”

“Oh no, you don’t need to shoot me with one of those,” said Javaris, turning around slowly like a gunslinger in the Old West. “I’ve got one right here.”

He pulled out his own gun, already loaded, cocked it, and pointed it at Gilbert.

Other players who had been casually arriving, laughing and joking with each other, came to a sudden halt, their eyes bugging out. It took them only a few seconds to realize this was for real, a shootaround of a whole different nature. They all looked at each other and then they ran, the last man out locking the door behind him.

I didn’t panic because I’d been through far worse, heard gunshots more times than I could count, and seen it all before. This would have been just another day on the south side.

I talked calmly to Javaris, reminding him that his entire career, not to mention, perhaps, his life, would be over if he flicked that trigger finger.

I looked back at Gilbert. He was silent as he removed himself from the scene.

Javaris slowly lowered the gun.

I know that Gilbert was thinking, “I went too far. I had a gun pointed at me and it was loaded.”

Somebody outside the locker room called 911. Flip Saunders was the coach back then, but he was too scared to even come into the locker room.

I was under no illusions that many of the rest of us were not going to be affected by the gun incident. I knew this was the end of the Washington franchise as we had known it. With Mr. Pollin gone, a new regime coming in, and the image of the team shattered by guns that weren’t even fired, it was time to tear up the Wizards, wipe the roster clean, and start all over again.

Grunfeld warned me that was going to happen. “We might have to trade everyone,” he said. “Rebuild from scratch, looking forward to the future.”

All I said was, “Okay.” What else could I say?

Koolaid_Man
10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
:lmao

Thanks brah..that was a fucking awesome read. Caron did a fucking excellent job on the recount.....I enjoyed that shit like a good hollywood movie script :lol

So ain't Javaris now doing life for murder...Agent 0 lucky as fuck tbh...

Killakobe81
10-07-2015, 04:01 PM
:lmao

Thanks brah..that was a fucking awesome read. Caron did a fucking excellent job on the recount.....I enjoyed that shit like a good hollywood movie script :lol

So ain't Javaris now doing life for murder...Agent 0 lucky as fuck tbh...

That was good. I might cop his book. always loved Tuff Juice. Real niccas dont exaggerate their real life stories are better than a movie.

benefactor
10-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Real niccas dont exaggerate their real life stories are better than a movie.
Well played.

philldafunk
10-08-2015, 03:44 PM
That's nowhere near how I had imagined it going down.

lefty
10-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Those nigs are not so tough without guns tbh

Thebesteva
10-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Whites and Jews making billions of black guys while they kill each other off. Let's stop this madness my nikkas :'(

Venti Quattro
10-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Arenas is a dumb motherfucker. If you're earning $120 million over 6 years, you need to learn how to let that $1,100 go

Splits
10-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Arenas is a dumb motherfucker. If you're earning $120 million over 6 years, you need to learn how to let that $1,100 go

He tells the story a bit differently. According to Gil, he didn't owe the money. http://deadspin.com/gilbert-arenas-posts-rebuttal-to-caron-butlers-version-1735566952

I respect Caron Butler’s book and got my copy but the guns in the locker room story is FALSE in his book.Butler and I were asleep and JaVale McGee, Javaris Crittenton, and Earl Boykins were playing cards. By the time I woke up Crittenton was balls deep in losing so I decided to join the game. Crittenton got booed which means he did get one book of spades, so he had to match the pot which was $1,100, but $800 was his so he just lost $800 and the pot is now $1,400 and $1,100 of it is his.

JaVale McGee won the first $1,100 pot so he scooped the money. Boykins asked JaVale, “can I get my $200 now since you have money?” JaVale said “after we land, I don’t wanna jinx myself. Crittenton spazzed—“give that nigga his money, you just won my money pay that nigga”—so I jumped in and said “damn dog, that’s between them two niggas.” He turned to me and said “fuck you nigga” and I responded “shit you owe me $200, I think you owe Caron Butler $300, but we ain’t saying shit.” Crittenton pops off again: “Oh fuck you nigga you would try to money-talk somebody.”

So now it’s my deal. Earl said “I’m out.” JaVale said “I don’t need cards.” Crittenton needed five new cards so most likely he was about to match the pot once again so I said “I’m out” knowing JaVale had AKQ, so since it was Crittenton’s money in the post there was no need to fight if he was going to get booed. I showed my hand and Crittenton got mad I had three trump cards and didn’t fight with him. So he screams “MISDEAL, Gil showed his hand!” JaVale said “fuck that I win, I have AKQ.”

So Crittenton tries to use misdeal as a way of starting the hand over so I said “y’all figure that out.” I walked to the back of the plane and they stayed arguing, but Earl convinced them that JaVale won. Crittenton yells loudly “FUCKIN’ MISDEAL” so I yelled back “come get the shit with yo hands if you wanna misdeal.”

When the plane lands he walks back talking tough, saying if we were in the streets “I’d pop you in your knees.” I said “shit I’ll give you the guns to do it on Monday.” It was Saturday, and we had Sunday off. I get to the gym on Monday at 8 a.m. and put four empty guns on his chair and a note that said “pick one.” No one saw me touch a gun or put them there. With Crittenton came in I was in the training room. Crittenton, DeShawn Stevenson, Andray Blatche, and Dominic McGuire were the only ones in the locker room when I walked in.

So Crittenton says “what’s this shit?” I said “you said you were gonna shoot me so nigga there go guns so pick one,” meaning pick the one you are going to shoot me with like you said. He said “I don’t need this shit.” That’s when Caron is now in the room, and a trainer. Crittenton takes the guns off his seat and throws them on the floor, hitting the trainers foot. He runs into the training room and Crittenton pulls out a little silver gun that Eddie Murphy shot the pinkie toe off with lol (https://youtu.be/yMiGHGsdikU?t=115s) (I’m not going to say if it was loaded or pointed at me, no need to bash a man who can’t defend his name). Let’s just say I started laughing and said “put that Harlem Nights gun away, look at the shit I’m GIVING you, imagine what I have at home so you can keep those.” The fucking end.

JaVale picks up my guns and takes them to my car. Caron hides Crittenton’s gun in the locker room. I was in the jacuzzi so Crittenton comes in with me and we started talking and he said I play too much, and I told him he was just a hot head. We started shooting around.

They called Crittenton first to ask what happened. I was last so the story became I pulled a gun and wanted to shoot Crittenton. But I owed him money LMAO. I owe money but I’m gonna shoot you #WhereTheyDoThatAt. If he owed me money, I make $20 million so I wouldn’t pull a GUN for $1,100 SMDH. This happened December 21, and the story was told January 1.

Like I said no one saw me touch, hold, grab, move anything. The funny thing is, I got suspended 50 games, charged with a felony and the only teammate Crittenton decided to call when he needed money for his mom was me because he knows I won’t hold a grudge against a teammate and I gave him $60,000 for his mom’s surgery. I sent money after he just said he was scared for his life, but I said “don’t worry about me, I’ll take the blame what do you need?”

I do regret making fun of him and calling his bluff, the same thing I’ve done with Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher is the same shit I did that day. I wish him the best and Caron Butler’s book to sell out, but what I wrote is the real story.

Venti Quattro
10-10-2015, 01:10 AM
He tells the story a bit differently. According to Gil, he didn't owe the money. http://deadspin.com/gilbert-arenas-posts-rebuttal-to-caron-butlers-version-1735566952

Whether he did or did not owe the money, or whatever the story was, it was significantly less than what he was going to earn had he kept his head straight. He was going to lose, what, $2,000 at the most?

MultiTroll
10-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Butlers much more believable then Zero.

Sean Cagney
10-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Butlers much more believable then Zero.

Zero is a little off in his head so yes. Didnt he shit in someones shoe once???

lefty
10-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Didnt he shit in someones shoe once???

Yes when he dropped 60 pts on Kobe

apalisoc_9
10-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Yes when he dropped 60 pts on Kobe

http://i.imgbox.com/9bZ9CPAs.gif

HarlemHeat37
10-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Yes when he dropped 60 pts on Kobehttp://i.imgbox.com/9bZ9CPAs.gif

DD