PDA

View Full Version : OT: Greatest rapper ever?

Thebesteva
10-07-2015, 09:28 PM
2pac obviously, but who you got?

Kool Bob Love
10-07-2015, 09:35 PM
<---

Thebesteva
10-07-2015, 09:36 PM
<---

http://33.media.tumblr.com/0be215cdc565809b0cba345479979612/tumblr_inline_nix258VsyM1sh1aw2.gif

spurraider21
excellent NBA thread

HarlemHeat37
Claiming there's a "greatest" doesn't really make any sense since it's all subjective and there's no consensus criteria, tbh..2Pac was appealing due to his emotions and delivery, but he was pretty mediocre as an actual rapper, for example..

It's a list of your favorite rappers, essentially..

Clipper Nation
10-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Rakim, with Big L as a close second.

/thread
/Pinoy Nurse's takes

Kool Bob Love
10-07-2015, 09:37 PM
excellent NBA thread

http://youtu.be/OdLSZKaFi4s

Thebesteva
10-07-2015, 09:38 PM
excellent NBA thread

Oh I'm so sorry...did i interrupt all the intense pre season talk? Go BBQ those kabobs u faggot

Thebesteva
10-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Claiming there's a "greatest" doesn't really make any sense since it's all subjective and there's no consensus criteria, tbh..2Pac was appealing due to his emotions and delivery, but he was pretty mediocre as an actual rapper, for example..

It's a list of your favorite rappers, essentially..

Oh...is it subjective on stating MJ is the GOAT? apparently not

HarlemHeat37
10-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Oh...is it subjective on stating MJ is the GOAT? apparently not

:lol you can use stats, accomplishments, accolades, etc to rank sports figures..

There's no criteria for ranking rappers..some local rapper that nobody knows is probably a better lyricist than 2pac, for example..there's no random guy on the streets that has better basketball skills than DK:lol..

Sean Cagney
10-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Nasir Jones IMO, Pac was great though obviously.
Rakim, with Big L as a close second.

/thread
/Pinoy Nurse's takesRakim was pretty fucking nice, listening to his old shit the other week. Kane was raw too (No Pun)

Thebesteva
10-08-2015, 12:50 AM
:lol you can use stats, accomplishments, accolades, etc to rank sports figures..

There's no criteria for ranking rappers..some local rapper that nobody knows is probably a better lyricist than 2pac, for example..there's no random guy on the streets that has better basketball skills than DK:lol..

The overall consensus is that the top rappers are either Pac, Biggie, and Rakim

10-08-2015, 04:20 AM
Lol @ Pac being even a top 10 rapper all time. Nigga wasn't even the best of his generation, and I don't even fw dusty ass 90s rap like that.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Nas, Pac, biggie, Jay, Rakim, Kanye, Wayne, Drake all could have cases made ...but I think Em and Andre 3000 are probably my faves. Not a fan of wayne or drake but you cant deny their talent.

teddygreen
10-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Redman. Very Underrated...

http://pressrewind.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/redman_source1192.jpg

DeRozan m8
10-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Eminem
Hopsin
Dre for one album

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Eminem
Hopsin
Dre for one album

I know Hopsin ... Went to school with his older brothers. I ran track with one and hooped with the other ... Crazy that lil nigg would even be in this convo. I need to listen to more of his stuff. I thought he had skills but not sure I would put him this class maybe I am wrong ...

I also and a big 'ye fan. he is weird. and after Dark twisted I cant say he is as consistent but I think he and Andre 3000 in his prime were best as having message rap that was still fire still a hit but also displaying skills. West though cant flow like 3000, Em or even Hopsin.

baseline bum
10-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Rakim

lebomb
10-08-2015, 06:49 AM
There probably is no overall greatest. Its like asking who is the greatest basketball player of all time.......MJ would probably be tops, but you will get different arguments. I would say PAC had the most powerful delivery, Eminem is up there, as well as Biggie. But different styles made alot of them great.......I loved the way UGK had that southern playah swag. I loved the way Bone Thugs had that herky jerky style of rapping. Snoop with his smooth gangtah flow. It goes on and on. So basically there is not truly greatest rapper ever.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 06:55 AM
There probably is no overall greatest. Its like asking who is the greatest basketball player of all time.......MJ would probably be tops, but you will get different arguments. I would say PAC had the most powerful delivery, Eminem is up there, as well as Biggie. But different styles made alot of them great.......I loved the way UGK had that southern playah swag. I loved the way Bone Thugs had that herky jerky style of rapping. Snoop with his smooth gangtah flow. It goes on and on. So basically there is not truly greatest rapper ever.

I hear ya as Harlem said it's just personal prefrence. But I dont like strip club rap or just punchline rap that has no meaning no message. It may have a good beat or "go hard" but if it doesnt have layers I cant mess with it.

Other guys that desrve mentions QTip, Common, Mos, Lupe, Black Thought, Kendrick, JCole Talib K, Scarface, TI, Goodie Mobb, De La, BDK, KRS1, Snoop, DMx, Jadakiss

benefactor
10-08-2015, 07:22 AM
:lol Tupac
:lol TMZ fanboy take

I'm biased towards the south, so I'll go with Scarface.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 07:43 AM
kirbys victim, her rap game.....so far kirby hasnt replied back any bars yet

Yo that "bar" was softer than Macklemore verse ...please, step yo game up.

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 08:41 AM

Well, Pac has multiple classic albums. Your boy Drake is hot garbage and has yet to drop a classic album even with the help of ghostwriters :lmao

By the way, being a great lyricist=/=being a great rap artist. Can the great lyricist put a song together the way 2Pac did? Obviously not.

MultiTroll
10-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Spurztawk Hardkowr Rapper

B-Rad Gluckman

Trill Clinton
10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
toss up between froggy fresh or slim jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Omtvdfh2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo48zg2iyU

RsxPiimp
10-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Wrex and Effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU

tone loc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUNZUvjZX8

Clipper Nation
10-08-2015, 10:34 AM
I never understood the appeal of Tupac, tbh. His beats were consistently lame, his delivery/cadence was like nails on a chalkboard, and his militant political schtick was ripped off from Public Enemy (who did it better). He was still a million times better than that faggot Drake, but that's a pretty low bar. Still, I don't see how people could listen to Rakim, Big L, prime Nas, Wu-Tang, etc. and still rank Tupac as the greatest of his generation, let alone all-time.

Clipper Nation
10-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Eminem
Hopsin
Dre for one album
Seriously? Eminem built his career off of biting from good rappers like Pharaohe Monche, Masta Ace, AZ, Nas, and Pacewon. And Hopsin is a ripoff of Eminem, making him a biter of a biter.

Splits
10-08-2015, 10:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Omtvdfh2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo48zg2iyU

:lmao

clambake
10-08-2015, 10:49 AM
weird al yankovic

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 11:50 AM
I never understood the appeal of Tupac, tbh. His beats were consistently lame, his delivery/cadence was like nails on a chalkboard, and his militant political schtick was ripped off from Public Enemy (who did it better). He was still a million times better than that faggot Drake, but that's a pretty low bar. Still, I don't see how people could listen to Rakim, Big L, prime Nas, Wu-Tang, etc. and still rank Tupac as the greatest of his generation, let alone all-time.

Wu Tang :lol You're such a gook geek, it ain't even funny.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 12:09 PM

wu was popular with asian kids ...but i loved them too. enter the 36 and only built for cuban linx are classics. triumph was also an anthem.

The Gemini Method
10-08-2015, 01:05 PM
wu was popular with asian kids ...but i loved them too. enter the 36 and only built for cuban linx are classics. triumph was also an anthem. Don't forget Liquid Swords!

Infinite_limit
10-08-2015, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtxoTjqNf0

ambchang
10-08-2015, 01:27 PM
2Pac, Jay-Z, Outkast (Dre mostly), Rakim, Public Enemy ... in that order.

Drake is trash.

Clipper Nation
10-08-2015, 01:52 PM
wu was popular with asian kids ...but i loved them too. enter the 36 and only built for cuban linx are classics. triumph was also an anthem.
Triumph was a classic. How many six-minute-long tracks without any hook at all get on the radio? Plus the full video got played on MTV at a time when people still cared about music videos, despite being five minutes longer than their audience's attention span.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Don't forget Liquid Swords!

No doubt ... shadowboxin', Labels, classic hip hop

Thebesteva
10-08-2015, 03:57 PM

It's hard to see greatness when your eyes are slanted

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Well, Pac has multiple classic albums. Your boy Drake is hot garbage and has yet to drop a classic album even with the help of ghostwriters :lmao

By the way, being a great lyricist=/=being a great rap artist. Can the great lyricist put a song together the way 2Pac did? Obviously not.

Drake is one of the most innovative and creative rappers in music history, tbh..it's usually people in their 30s and 40s that dislike him, along with insecure men IMO..

I like 2Pac, but he had 1 great album and was a mediocre rapper from a lyrical/creativity standpoint..his passion and emotion was his best feature, which is why I like him, but his actual music wasn't that great..he was pushing his Black Panther shit in an era where niggas were just making music, rather than making political statements, which helped him stand out and resonate with fans..

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2015, 04:03 PM
The West Coast has the shittiest rap music of all-time, tbh:lol..it's been absolute trash since about 1993..

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Drake is one of the most innovative and creative rappers in music history, tbh..it's usually people in their 30s and 40s that dislike him, along with insecure men IMO..

I like 2Pac, but he had 1 great album and was a mediocre rapper from a lyrical/creativity standpoint..his passion and emotion was his best feature, which is why I like him, but his actual music wasn't that great..

You're entitled to be wrong.

This song alone>Drake's entire discography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1LXb8RAOtA

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Ugh, had to restart my laptop after clicking play on that trash song, tbh:lol..

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Ugh, had to restart my laptop after clicking play on that trash song, tbh:lol..

Your boy Drake wishes his ghostwriters could have written that song for him :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry5_RntBSO4

DeRozan m8
10-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Seriously? Eminem built his career off of biting from good rappers like Pharaohe Monche, Masta Ace, AZ, Nas, and Pacewon. And Hopsin is a ripoff of Eminem, making him a biter of a biter.

Yeah, i realize I like what a lot of hiphop dudes consider garbage hahah
Im more into metalcore and shit so its not like im a pro in the rap area

Arcadian
10-08-2015, 04:31 PM
none, they all suck

DeRozan m8
10-08-2015, 04:32 PM
I know Hopsin ... Went to school with his older brothers. I ran track with one and hooped with the other ... Crazy that lil nigg would even be in this convo. I need to listen to more of his stuff. I thought he had skills but not sure I would put him this class maybe I am wrong ....

Hahha thats sick man.

Hop has a fair following in Australia, his latest album is his most consistent work but he's does have a lot of good tracks....just a few crap ones also.

Rate him highly but

Down Under
10-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Corny lyrics which are written by a record company obviously makes a bad rapper. But any upper middle class rappers, like kanye, talking about how great they are, are obviously garbage as well because there is no substance to what he is writing about. 2Pac as a composer obviously wasn't the best, but his lyrics had a message, as well as his emotion in the rapping, made his music of real substance.

LakasRool4eva
10-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Eminem is the greatest lyricologist of are times.......................

Down Under
10-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Marshall Mathers & Slim Shady were good apart from the pop songs. The rest of his stuff is obviously written to make money as pop music. Outkast Aquemini, Snoop's Doggystyle are good. Other multisyllabic stuff like blackalicious & alternative rap like the roots & Jurassic 5 have some pretty good stuff too.

10-08-2015, 05:47 PM

Have you listened to Pac albums? :lmao Full of shite fillers

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The West Coast has the shittiest rap music of all-time, tbh:lol..it's been absolute trash since about 1993..

You aint from there so you dont get it. tha Liks, Snoop, DJquik, Nate Dogg, Tha Dog Pound, Ras Kass xzibit, WC, Cube all put out quality music. I love hip hop from all sides. Wasnt a fan of much of the Southern the chop and screwed or strip club rap (which Drake does sometimes as well) .... but Outkast and Goodie mobb, scarface and Luda.

Drake is talented but not so innovative imho ...he borrowed so much from Wayne, the south hyfy rap ...

Pretty dismissive for you to hate on westcoat rap "since '93" ...and complete bullshit.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Corny lyrics which are written by a record company obviously makes a bad rapper. But any upper middle class rappers, like kanye, talking about how great they are, are obviously garbage as well because there is no substance to what he is writing about. 2Pac as a composer obviously wasn't the best, but his lyrics had a message, as well as his emotion in the rapping, made his music of real substance.

Kanye has party songs but if you listen to his albulms he has plenty to say ...even his hits:

Golddigger, Jesus Walks, Diamonds from sierra Leone, Runaway are all deep if you get by the catchy beats and hooks.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
:lol Pain...Pac was doing that same shit on Me Against the World. It Ain't Easy could've been Pain with a different groove.

Scarface>>>Pac lyrically. It's not close at all.

10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
2Pac, Jay-Z, Outkast (Dre mostly), Rakim, Public Enemy ... in that order.

Drake is trash.
Big Boi is arguably better than Dre tbh

lol at Drake hate, it's not 2009

Kool Bob Love
10-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Your boy Drake wishes his ghostwriters could have written that song for him :lmao

shut his dumbass up real quick.:lol

10-08-2015, 06:10 PM
You aint from there so you dont get it. tha Liks, Snoop, DJquik, Nate Dogg, Tha Dog Pound, Ras Kass xzibit, WC, Cube all put out quality music. I love hip hop from all sides. Wasnt a fan of much of the Southern the chop and screwed or strip club rap (which Drake does sometimes as well) .... but Outkast and Goodie mobb, scarface and Luda.

Drake is talented but not so innovative imho ...he borrowed so much from Wayne, the south hyfy rap ...

Pretty dismissive for you to hate on westcoat rap "since '93" ...and complete bullshit.Drake bites from a lot of people but he's so good no one cares

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:13 PM
If you want to talk about one full album lyrically, Twista's Adrenaline Rush is probably top three.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:13 PM

They are the perfect pairing tbh...like MJG and Eightball.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 06:15 PM

Wait what? In what sense is Big Boi even close to andre? Dont get me wrong Big boi is cooler than a Polar Bear's toenails ... he dropped this:
Well it's the M - I - crooked letter, ain't no one better
And when I'm on the microphone you best to wear your sweater
Cause I'm cooler than a polar bear's toenails
Oh hell, there he go again talking that shit
Bend, corner's like I was a curve, I struck a nerve
And now you bout to see this Southern player serve
I heard it's not where you're from but where you pay rent
Then I heard it's not what you make but how much you spent
You got me bent like elbows, amongst other things, but I'm not worried
Cause when we step up in the party, like I'm out-you-scurry
So go get your fuckin' shine box, and your sack of nickles
It tickles to see you try to be like Mr. Pickles
Daddy fat sacks, B-I-G B-O-I
It's that same motherfucker that took them knuckles to your eye
And I try, to warn you not to test but you don't listen
Giving the shout out to my Uncle Donnel locked up in prison
but when Dre dropped ...

Now, my oral illustration be like clitoral stimulation
To the female gender, ain't nothin better
Let me know when it's wet enough to enter
If not I'll wait, because the future of the world depends on
If or if not the child we raise gon' have that nigga syndrome
Or will it know to be the hard regardless of the skintone
I really feel that if we tune it, it just might get picked on
Or will it give a fuck about what others say and get gone
The alienators cause we different keep your hands to the sky
Like Sounds of Blackness when I practice what a preach ain't no lie
I'll be the baker and the maker of the piece of my pie
Now breaker, breaker 10-4 can I get some reply?

this was one verse later it's like Nas said "you got murdered on yo own shit!!! I like Big Boi his but he has not had one verse on his resume that can fuck with 3000 on Atliens. But as someone else said they balanced each other out well.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I would say Dre is the king of the single verse. That man had some shit that would just come out of nowhere and have you shaking your head.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Btw...MJG and Eightball>Outkast. I'll argue that shit to my fucking grave.

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Have you listened to Pac albums? :lmao Full of shite fillers

Very few albums you can actually listen to from beginning to end without skipping and at the pace Pac was releasing albums it was almost impossible to have no fillers.

All Eyez On Me is guilty of that being a double album and all.

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Btw...MJG and Eightball>Outkast. I'll argue that shit to my fucking grave.

Love dem memphis niggs but cant co-sign that. when it comes to true duos it's

1. Outkast
2. Qtip and Fife
3. EPMD
4. Eightball & MJG
5. UGK
6. Kurrupt & Daz

im probably forgetting some but that's my list for now

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 06:25 PM
:lol Pain...Pac was doing that same shit on Me Against the World. It Ain't Easy could've been Pain with a different groove.

Scarface>>>Pac lyrically. It's not close at all.

What rapper uses a different subject matter in all his songs?

Blizzardwizard
10-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Notorious B.I.G. or Nate Dogg, with Warren G as an underrated front runner.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:39 PM
What rapper uses a different subject matter in all his songs?
There's a difference between different subject matter and saying the exact same shit over and over. I would say anything past Me Against the World was Pac living on his delivery and his voice, not his lyrics. He's the Pimp C of the West Coast.

benefactor
10-08-2015, 06:42 PM

1. Outkast
2. Qtip and Fife
3. EPMD
4. Eightball & MJG
5. UGK
6. Kurrupt & Daz

Well my south bias is always going to show. Can't place EPMD near Outkast or Ball & G. I'm not going to be mad at someone that says Outkast is better, but if you take the whole catalog with beats, lyrics etc. I have to go with Ball & G.

10-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Dre is a better artist, but I always liked Big Boi's delivery more.

Dre > Boi in Outkast

But Big Boi has the better solo career, no? Sir lucious Left foot :fire:

8FOR!3
10-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Big L
Nas
Andre 3000
Lord Finesse
Wu-Tang Clan
Big Pun
Jay-Z

In no particular order, but with Big L #1. That's a personal list though, lots of greats not on it that could easily be argued over a few of those guys.

Big L could make most people listed on this thread look stupid. That guy's freestyle is better than their written rap.

teddygreen
10-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Best West Coast MC is probably Ice Cube.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/676/MI0000676257.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/images/albums/9909.jpg

http://cdn.discogs.com/tLjj-URUD_ssHkq6aanlmYf8zvI=/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-2122538-1407415164-9662.jpeg.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dkcxXKRzRQA/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/nwa-straight-outta-compton-430.jpg

Chris
10-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Jay, Kanye, Wayne, Drake all could have cases made ...but I think Em and Andre 3000 are probably my faves. Not a fan of wayne or drake but you cant deny their talent.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2udukcl.gif

Silver&Black
10-08-2015, 08:27 PM
You guys need to listen to my nigga benefactor (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=13284)

His taste in rap music is exquisite...he put in some legendary work in that 90s rap thread in The Club.

BTW....IMO....UGK > Everybody else combined

Ridin' Dirty might be the greatest rap album of all time....top 5 no doubt.

Clipper Nation
10-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Sorry, man, but your boy has ghostwriters out the ass :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-qdR5b1vOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8etEBRSVU

Drake's just lucky that Meek - despite having golden, career-ruining material to use against him - was too fucking retarded to produce even a semi-competent diss track.

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a ghost writer, tbh, most greatest artists do at some point..

Sean Cagney
10-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Lol @ Pac being even a top 10 rapper all time. Nigga wasn't even the best of his generation, and I don't even fw dusty ass 90s rap like that.
As a fan of hip hop how can you not fuck with 90's rap honestly? It's a matter of preference but rap since the 90's has gotten A LOT worse. 80's fan? This era today is just the worst by far, horrible.
There's nothing wrong with having a ghost writer, tbh, most greatest artists do at some point..

Input maybe here or there or maybe for a song or two, not full albums though. Most artists who pride them selves write most of their own raps, thats why when it gets out there is a Ghost writer or you are accused of it then they get so defensive or deny it. Most great artists pen their own shit man.
Sorry, man, but your boy has ghostwriters out the ass :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-qdR5b1vOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8etEBRSVU

Drake's just lucky that Meek - despite having golden, career-ruining material to use against him - was too fucking retarded to produce even a semi-competent diss track.

Thats what I don't get with Meek, he is a battle rapper or was and he can't even beat Drake in a battle? Drakes diss was average but better than his, that was a weak ass battle. Pathetic.

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Are you gonna post proof of that or you're just talking out of your ass?

Drake has ghostwriters and there's even a video of him reading lyrics off a cellphone during a radio freestyle.

He's basically a pop act and will never be mentioned among the all time greats. Especially when he can't make a classic album to save his life.

Sean Cagney
10-08-2015, 10:10 PM

Drake has ghostwriters and there's even a video of him reading lyrics off a cellphone during a radio freestyle.

He's basically a pop act and will never be mentioned among the all time greats. Especially when he can't make a classic album to save his life.

Drake is farrrrrrrrrr from an all time great, more like a dude in a weak ass era who gets by because of that mainly. I will never put him in the top 50 rappers of all time. He is okay I guess for this era, but all times agree HELL NO.

1. Outkast
2. Qtip and Fife
3. EPMD
4. Eightball & MJG
5. UGK
6. Kurrupt & Daz

I personally got Mobb Deep up there from Infamous and Hell on Earth but I agree on Outkast being better than Eightball and MJG and I love them. Daz and Kurupt only had one album IMO that I really liked so I don't know if I would put them on there. I agree on Tribe and EPMD as well, UGK went hard too. That is a pretty solid list.
Don't forget Liquid Swords!

Co SIGN, don't get me stared on Wu Tang, Dirties album went hard as well as Ironman and Supreme Clientel. Wu was popular with alot more than Asian kids, they had a very diverse fan base here and in Europe etc. during their prime, most liked the Wu. They put out some great music.

Yeah because Wu didn't have any classic songs.... 36 Chambers alone is a classic, they had a fan base of all colors in the 90's to be honest and their music was ridiculous during the 93-97 span. I don't care if you are a fan or not they got classics. They are still huge overseas today, loyal fan base. I remember in the 90's around 95 everyone was fuckin with Wu on the East Coast up and down, black, white and Asian etc. Like they said they were nothing to fuck with.

spurraider21
10-08-2015, 10:16 PM
respect

Clipper Nation
10-08-2015, 10:23 PM

Some probably do when they get old and stop caring, but Wheelchair Jimmy has literally built a career off of ghostwriters :lol

Canibus got clowned mercilessly for having to pull out a notebook once during a rap battle because he forgot his lines. Meanwhile, Drake is the 2015 version of Milli Vanilli, moving his lips to Quentin Miller's bars, and it's all okay :lol

Bynumite
10-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah because Wu didn't have any classic songs.... 36 Chambers alone is a classic, they had a fan base of all colors in the 90's to be honest and their music was ridiculous during the 93-97 span. I don't care if you are a fan or not they got classics. They are still huge overseas today, loyal fan base. I remember in the 90's around 95 everyone was fuckin with Wu on the East Coast up and down, black, white and Asian etc. Like they said they were nothing to fuck with.

I actually like the Wu Tang. I was just talking shit to the gook :lol

Killakobe81
10-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Drake is farrrrrrrrrr from an all time great, more like a dude in a weak ass era who gets by because of that mainly. I will never put him in the top 50 rappers of all time. He is okay I guess for this era, but all times agree HELL NO.
I personally got Mobb Deep up there from Infamous and Hell on Earth but I agree on Outkast being better than Eightball and MJG and I love them. Daz and Kurupt only had one album IMO that I really liked so I don't know if I would put them on there. I agree on Tribe and EPMD as well, UGK went hard too. That is a pretty solid list.

Co SIGN, don't get me stared on Wu Tang, Dirties album went hard as well as Ironman and Supreme Clientel. Wu was popular with alot more than Asian kids, they had a very diverse fan base here and in Europe etc. during their prime, most liked the Wu. They put out some great music.

Forgot about mobb deep my bad easily top 5 but you sleeping on EPMD crossover still goes hard and is relevant today

Sean Cagney
10-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Forgot about mobb deep my bad easily top 5 but you sleeping on EPMD crossover still goes hard and is relevant today
I agreed on EPMD, loved them. That is a great duo. Crossover is one of my fave songs ever.
I actually like the Wu Tang. I was just talking shit to the gook :lol

:lol

Thebesteva
10-09-2015, 12:26 AM
First time I've seen CN and HH not be on the same page....I thought you loved Drake CN. WTF happened? That guys a major faggot tbh, he has some catchy tunes I admit but I just cant stand the dude

HarlemHeat37
10-09-2015, 12:43 AM

There's no "all-time greats" list for music:lol, and writing your own lyrics is irrelevant, too, the actual music is all that matters..if you based it on lyrical ability, the top 10 would be a bunch of underground rappers that nobody has ever heard of..

Anyways, it's all subjective and based on preference..you don't have to like Drake, but he's unquestionably the biggest rapper of this generation..he makes great, versatile music IMO..2Pac is decent, his music doesn't really hold up today, he's like 90s basketball IMO, but it's all subjective, to each their own..

To be fair, personally speaking, I have trouble listening to a lot of old rap today..I loved Jay-Z growing up in NY in my teens, but I can't really listen to a lot of it today..I liked Eminem, too, but I wouldn't be able to stomach listening to his old shit today, sounds like trash to me..

Clipper Nation
10-09-2015, 12:52 AM
First time I've seen CN and HH not be on the same page....I thought you loved Drake CN. WTF happened? That guys a major faggot tbh, he has some catchy tunes I admit but I just cant stand the dude
I've never liked Drake, tbh. He's basically a pop singer who benefits from killer production and some ghostwritten rap verses.

10-09-2015, 01:49 AM
I've never liked Drake, tbh. He's basically a pop singer who benefits from killer production and some ghostwritten rap verses.

40 production :worthy:

Bynumite
10-09-2015, 03:03 AM
There's no "all-time greats" list for music:lol, and writing your own lyrics is irrelevant, too, the actual music is all that matters..if you based it on lyrical ability, the top 10 would be a bunch of underground rappers that nobody has ever heard of..

Anyways, it's all subjective and based on preference..you don't have to like Drake, but he's unquestionably the biggest rapper of this generation..he makes great, versatile music IMO..2Pac is decent, his music doesn't really hold up today, he's like 90s basketball IMO, but it's all subjective, to each their own..

To be fair, personally speaking, I have trouble listening to a lot of old rap today..I loved Jay-Z growing up in NY in my teens, but I can't really listen to a lot of it today..I liked Eminem, too, but I wouldn't be able to stomach listening to his old shit today, sounds like trash to me..

Like i've mentioned before. Being a great rap artist, it's not just about being a great lyricist. You gotta know how to put a song together. For example, go tell a battle rapper to do a hook and some would probably get lost or write some garbage. Also, there's not an objective rapper top 10 per se but based on the quality of their albums and impact there's definitely some names that will get mentioned a lot more than others.

Also, Drake's a singer, didn't write a good portion of his lyrics and doesn't freestyle. If you're still gonna call him a rapper, technically Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus are rappers too.

ambchang
10-09-2015, 10:05 AM

Can't find one Drake song that is not a rip off from someone else's work.

m>s
10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Idk but the greatest crapper probably hails from somewhere in India where they literally shit in the street

DAF86
10-09-2015, 11:24 AM

How so? I thought it was established that what made Eminem so popular (besides the fact of being white and girls thinking he's hot) is the fact that he was so different from other rappers with his gooffy style and witty humour.

P/S:

Eminem
Beastie Boys
Macklemore
Vanilla Ice

10-09-2015, 11:43 AM
lol

Leetonidas
10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
I don't give a shit about anyone else's musical tastes tbh. All Eyez on Me is the greatest rap album of all-time imo

I will say though I don't know how anyone can say Kanye is even in the discussion. I like his first couple albums but half the shit he rhymes about doesn't even make sense. he has a sense of grandiosity like he's saying some deep insightful shit or making brilliant aphorisms when it really doesnt even form a coherent sentence most of the time :lol his actual music is really good though

Leetonidas
10-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I also don't get why people think that their musical preferences says anything legitimate about who they are as a person or makes them cool or cultured or something anyway, to be honest.

10-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Over My Dead Body
Club Paradise
Paris Morton Music
Dreams Money Can Buy
Marvin's Room
Say What's Real
Too Much
The Resistance
Tuscan Leather
DITE
Camera's
Legend
Connect
5 AM in Toronto
6pm in New York

Drake's discography is impeccable tbh, I don't see how you can still hate the man in 2015

ambchang
10-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Over My Dead Body
Club Paradise
Paris Morton Music
Dreams Money Can Buy
Marvin's Room
Say What's Real
Too Much
The Resistance
Tuscan Leather
DITE
Camera's
Legend
Connect
5 AM in Toronto
6pm in New York

Drake's discography is impeccable tbh, I don't see how you can still hate the man in 2015

Impeccable? Are you kidding me?

He basically rips off Jay-Z and Nas, and sadly, even a bit of Will Smith.

ambchang
10-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Shocked that I haven't heard Harlem and the crew talking about rappers in the 80s doesn't even know the English language, and that the 90s rappers didn't even have electricity in the studio.

Clipper Nation
10-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Over My Dead Body
Club Paradise
Paris Morton Music
Dreams Money Can Buy
Marvin's Room
Say What's Real
Too Much
The Resistance
Tuscan Leather
DITE
Camera's
Legend
Connect
5 AM in Toronto
6pm in New York

Those are just the tracks where the Quentin Miller reference tracks haven't come out yet.

10-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Impeccable? Are you kidding me?

He basically rips off Jay-Z and Nas, and sadly, even a bit of Will Smith.Sure, pick a song from that list and tell me how it resembles Jay or Nas? I'm a big fan of both btw

10-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Those are just the tracks where the Quentin Miller reference tracks haven't come out yet.
:rolleyes

ambchang
10-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Sure, pick a song from that list and tell me how it resembles Jay or Nas? I'm a big fan of both btw

it's just pure rip offs man.

10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
it's just pure rip offs man.

How old are you? I can understand some of the older guys ITT being biased to the hiphop they grew up with, but I figured you around 20-23..

Either that or you're just a hipster and only a fan of backpack rap...which is fine of course

SpursSerb
10-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Stephen Jackson aka Stak5

Killakobe81
10-09-2015, 05:19 PM
How old are you? I can understand some of the older guys ITT being biased to the hiphop they grew up with, but I figured you around 20-23..

Either that or you're just a hipster and only a fan of backpack rap...which is fine of course

no way Amb is that young ...most of the forum is probably under 30 but he isnt and neither am I ...

Kool Bob Love
10-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Kanye West paved the way for Drake so he's alright in my book.

10-09-2015, 06:21 PM
no way Amb is that young ...most of the forum is probably under 30 but he isnt and neither am I ...
Really? I don't why I thought he was like college age.

10-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Kanye West paved the way for Drake so he's alright in my book.
remember, without Drake we wouldn't have gotten WTT :worthy:

ambchang
10-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Never realized I am acting so immaturely here, but I can tell you I have seen magics prime, birds prime, most of Kareem's prime, the entire career of Jordan and such.

Didn't get to see wilt Russell and Oscar live but saw plenty of tapes and highlights.

Thebesteva
10-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Basically...I'm not gonna deny some of his songs are catchy, but great rappers weren't catchy they were great rappers. I'm not hating on the guy because he's not hard, its because his music is for females or dudes going through break ups. It's pretty lame tbh...Chris D'Elia shitted on this guy harder than anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAL_HP1yE_c

Sean Cagney
10-09-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't give a shit about anyone else's musical tastes tbh. All Eyez on Me is the greatest rap album of all-time imo

I will say though I don't know how anyone can say Kanye is even in the discussion. I like his first couple albums but half the shit he rhymes about doesn't even make sense. he has a sense of grandiosity like he's saying some deep insightful shit or making brilliant aphorisms when it really doesnt even form a coherent sentence most of the time :lol his actual music is really good though

Kanye is a great artist and made some great albums but I agree, not even in the discussion of greatest of all times when it comes to an mc.

I liked All Eyez on me a lot but one of the discs had too much filler for me (Disc 2 I think), the disc with Got My Mind Made up and 2 of a Amerikaz etc., was just a flat out classic. I liked Makaveli a lot too, that was a very solid album.

10-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Never realized I am acting so immaturely here, but I can tell you I have seen magics prime, birds prime, most of Kareem's prime, the entire career of Jordan and such.

Didn't get to see wilt Russell and Oscar live but saw plenty of tapes and highlights.
I didn't think you were immature, I just thought you were mature for your age lol

Kool Bob Love
10-09-2015, 07:02 PM

What the FUCK are you talking bout?

peep game. 2nd verse is easliy the greatest verse of this decade.

http://youtu.be/B8Uxvp1ctfA

10-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Basically...I'm not gonna deny some of his songs are catchy, but great rappers weren't catchy they were great rappers. I'm not hating on the guy because he's not hard, its because his music is for females or dudes going through break ups. It's pretty lame tbh...Chris D'Elia shitted on this guy harder than anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAL_HP1yE_c
:lol Chris D'Elia :tu

Drake mostly got that rep for Take Care just for a few songs(Marvin's room) tbh But Take Care was not an album about him crying or w/e, he had a lot of hard hitting songs on there. It was probably his best album. He's always going to have some songs where he's talking about flying out Strippers or saving hoes, but he doesn't do that the majority of the time.

Over My Dead Body Intro :worthy:
Headlines :worthy:
Crew Love :worthy:
Underground Kings :worthy:
Lord Knows (go listen to this right now actually) :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

10-09-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm hearing all of the jokes, I know that they tryna push me (http://genius.com/434631)
I know that showin' emotion don't ever mean I'm a pussy (http://genius.com/449802)
Know that I don't make music for niggas who don't get pussy
So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me (http://genius.com/435333)
Lord knows, Lord knows, I'm heavy, I got my weight up (http://genius.com/490847)
Roberson boost your rate up, (http://genius.com/449778) it's time that somebody paid up (http://genius.com/516262)
A lot of niggas came up off of a style that I made up
But if all I hear is me, then who should I be afraid of? (http://genius.com/435875)
Bought a white Ghost, now shit is gettin' spooky
Very, very scary, like shit you see in the movies (http://genius.com/434613)
In this bitch all drinks on the house like Snoopy (http://genius.com/434599)

:worthy:

Clipper Nation
10-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Quentin Miller writes some nice verses sometimes, but I just can't take Wheelchair Jimmy's attempts to look tough seriously.

10-09-2015, 07:14 PM
What the FUCK are you talking bout?

peep game. 2nd verse is easliy the greatest verse of this decade.

http://youtu.be/B8Uxvp1ctfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmw6EaTfX8g

Kool Bob Love
10-09-2015, 07:27 PM

http://youtu.be/ObUzFn2HyyE

:tu

ambchang
10-10-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm hearing all of the jokes, I know that they tryna push me (http://genius.com/434631)
I know that showin' emotion don't ever mean I'm a pussy (http://genius.com/449802)
Know that I don't make music for niggas who don't get pussy
So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me (http://genius.com/435333)
Lord knows, Lord knows, I'm heavy, I got my weight up (http://genius.com/490847)
Roberson boost your rate up, (http://genius.com/449778) it's time that somebody paid up (http://genius.com/516262)
A lot of niggas came up off of a style that I made up
But if all I hear is me, then who should I be afraid of? (http://genius.com/435875)
Bought a white Ghost, now shit is gettin' spooky
Very, very scary, like shit you see in the movies (http://genius.com/434613)
In this bitch all drinks on the house like Snoopy (http://genius.com/434599)

Notice how he rhymes pussy with me, even doubling both one after the other as to remove all doubt.