PDA

View Full Version : Home Office Remodel.. Desk?

DMC
10-10-2015, 09:30 PM
So topic is in title, and I'm all done except for the flooring and the furniture. I am going to be getting a new desk and I am thinking "L" shaped desk. I want something that will comfortably hold 2 24" monitors, two laptops (one in docking station) with KVM capabilities, keyboard drawer to get keyboard out of my way, at least 30" depth and 72" both ways. I'd like some drawers but not interested in paper file cabinet style drawers since I don't file papers. Needs to be a bit conservative, nothing Euraway or Ikea. Don't mind particle board top if it's sandwiched properly, not planning on standing on it. Would like rounded inside edges and no cross members beneath desk.

What are some of you using that might be similar? I've looked at several on Amazon and there's one somewhat clinical looking model that's sturdy but not very "warm" for a home office, and another that takes about 6 hours to assemble. I still might get one of those but I am open to suggestions.

SpursforSix
10-10-2015, 10:21 PM
It's hard to top Beats Studio

DJR210
10-10-2015, 11:44 PM
:lol

Biernutz
10-11-2015, 08:10 AM
keep all your sales receipts for taxes.....

mrsmaalox
10-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Its going to require a pretty large desk to hold all that stuff on it in a configuration that is comfortable and "flows" well for your work. Personally I'm not a fan of massive furniture, so have you considered a built in unit? Imagine a desk top that runs the length of a wall with section of bookshelves above it and a couple of cabinets and drawers underneath. You could even put something together with pre-finished cabinetry from Lowe's. And because you won't have a huge desk taking up a lot of floor space, you can add the warmth you mentioned with a thick rug and a couple of plush, comfy reading chairs.

RD2191
10-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Have you checked out room and boards L shaped desks?

DMC
10-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Its going to require a pretty large desk to hold all that stuff on it in a configuration that is comfortable and "flows" well for your work. Personally I'm not a fan of massive furniture, so have you considered a built in unit? Imagine a desk top that runs the length of a wall with section of bookshelves above it and a couple of cabinets and drawers underneath. You could even put something together with pre-finished cabinetry from Lowe's. And because you won't have a huge desk taking up a lot of floor space, you can add the warmth you mentioned with a thick rug and a couple of plush, comfy reading chairs.

My plan is to put a couch at the back wall of the office. I like to lay down while I'm on conference calls. Therefore there will be a 60 inch screen on the wall adjacent to the desk so I can transfer my desktop to that and reference it while being lazy. I actually prefer to lay on the floor but putting a screen on the ceiling seems stupid.

My larger laptop is my desktop as well. Therefore I do not have a desktop box to worry about. My plan is to have a laptop on each side of the L and the screens in the middle.

DMC
10-11-2015, 10:55 AM
i say...goto ur timber store and buy 2 doors and put some legs on the corners....use the key hole as wire cable management...
Yeah I thought about building a desk however I don't have time.

DD
10-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Damn bro, u gonna be doing some day-trading with that setup?

leemajors
10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
So topic is in title, and I'm all done except for the flooring and the furniture. I am going to be getting a new desk and I am thinking "L" shaped desk. I want something that will comfortably hold 2 24" monitors, two laptops (one in docking station) with KVM capabilities, keyboard drawer to get keyboard out of my way, at least 30" depth and 72" both ways. I'd like some drawers but not interested in paper file cabinet style drawers since I don't file papers. Needs to be a bit conservative, nothing Euraway or Ikea. Don't mind particle board top if it's sandwiched properly, not planning on standing on it. Would like rounded inside edges and no cross members beneath desk.

What are some of you using that might be similar? I've looked at several on Amazon and there's one somewhat clinical looking model that's sturdy but not very "warm" for a home office, and another that takes about 6 hours to assemble. I still might get one of those but I am open to suggestions.

I'd definitely recommend an L-shaped desk. Mine is an Ikea one, but it comfortably fits a 27" iMac (work comp) and a 24" Samsung monitor for my PC. I put the 27" in the right corner and the PC on the left.

RD2191
10-11-2015, 12:11 PM
OP is a fat faggot.

DJR210
10-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Have you checked out room and boards L shaped desks?

OP is a fat faggot.

:lol couldn't resist?

RD2191
10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
:lol couldn't resist?

I really couldn't. Tbh.:lol

DMC
10-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Lol

DMC
10-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Damn bro, u gonna be doing some day-trading with that setup?

Naw, but I need quick access to real time data while I am conferencing. I already have that setup, just been on a different desk setup.

m>s
10-11-2015, 06:50 PM
build one yourself imo.

DMC
10-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't have time to build my own. I'm also not very motivated to do so.

m>s
10-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Gotta find that motivation mayne, you work as little as u want brotha u got all the time in the world

SpursforSix
10-12-2015, 12:23 PM

For real though...we got the following at work and I've been happy with it. I've got 2 30" monitors sitting across the front corner. I have a lot of junk on either side and there's more than enough room for a couple of laptops. I've been using it for about 8 years and it's held up well. We did have glass cut for the top. IIRC, assembly was pretty easy. The desk and return come separate but assembled so I think all you have to put together are the drawers and join the return to the desk. Maybe an hour and a half.

We liked it well enough to order same style for home but just the computer desk, credenza and bookcase.

Definitely "warm" feeling. Rounded corners.
Rue De Lyon collection.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/juoyv.cyhgx/v/vspfiles/photos/DMI-7684-5556-3.jpg

DMC
10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Gotta find that motivation mayne, you work as little as u want brotha u got all the time in the world
I'm a professional I do things for money because I'm very good at it.
there are people out there who are very good building desks. I'm not one of those people. I'm not really a do it yourself type person. I can do it if I learn how after trial and error, however I can pay someone a fraction of what I make an hour to get a much better result for an hours worth of their work.

m>s
10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Now you're just taking the fun out of it

CavsSuperFan
10-13-2015, 01:07 PM
You have a lot of stuff there...Check out the Winsted desk line....

101A
10-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Something like this:

http://standdesk.co/

I'm much more productive when I stand most of the day - my wife just got this from ergotron (workstation, not desk):

http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/images/products/workfit/24-213-085_lg.jpg

Fat Hands
10-13-2015, 04:57 PM
My plan is to put a couch at the back wall of the office. I like to lay down while I'm on conference calls. Therefore there will be a 60 inch screen on the wall adjacent to the desk so I can transfer my desktop to that and reference it while being lazy. I actually prefer to lay on the floor but putting a screen on the ceiling seems stupid.

My larger laptop is my desktop as well. Therefore I do not have a desktop box to worry about. My plan is to have a laptop on each side of the L and the screens in the middle.
I like to lay down also when I am prognosticting about the NBA and engineering stuffs...or my Atheism religion, or evolution.

SpursforSix
10-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I like to lay down also when I am prognosticting about the NBA and engineering stuffs...or my Atheism religion, or evolution.

I will find you fatty and make your life a living hell.

DMC
10-13-2015, 11:35 PM

You're trying too hard. Its much easier to troll than you make it seem.