PDA

View Full Version : PTR: Ray McCallum Has Big Shoes To FIll

BillMc
10-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Didn't see this elsewhere. It's a Pounding the Rock article on Ray McCallum's effectiveness by Jesus Gomez. In short, it says Ray has a long ways to go on both ends of the court, though its not for lack of trying.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/10/9456299/ray-mccallum-cory-joseph-san-antonio-spurs

TXstbobcat
10-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Thank you for posting. Tonight will be the first time I will get to see Ray play as a Spur as this will be the first spurs pre-season game available on TV on league pass.

Gladney to see you
10-12-2015, 07:58 AM
I think he is a good player...just not good enough to be consistent. I don't see a much higher ceiling. I appreciate his effort, but...

SnakeBoy
10-12-2015, 10:40 AM
He's no COJO

SAGirl
10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I think he'll be fine. Don't like Jesus Gomez much. He's ever the pessimist almost to a fault.

I don't project him to be a great playmaker or anything, but he will be good enough with the current makeup of the team, both first and second units having guys that can get their own shots and create for others. Defensively he looked much better than what Gomez would lead you to believe in Sacramento.

monkeypunk
10-12-2015, 11:43 AM
For his first outing, I think he did fine. His instincts to attack are good, just needs to learn the system before he can effectively run it.

It took Cojo years in our system to become a viable player, give Ray a little time before condemning him.

Chinook
10-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Still better than Jimmer.

dabom
10-12-2015, 11:56 AM

:lol

Maybe even better than porker too. :lol

Kawhitstorm
10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
He's already a better scorer than CoJo.

Tbiggums47
10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
I think he'll be fine. Don't like Jesus Gomez much. He's ever the pessimist almost to a fault.

I don't project him to be a great playmaker or anything, but he will be good enough with the current makeup of the team, both first and second units having guys that can get their own shots and create for others. Defensively he looked much better than what Gomez would lead you to believe in Sacramento.
I agree. The thing I feel that is being over looked is his ability to create for others and his ability to attack to create his own shots in this system. Pop has added several players who can shoot and play defense ( Simmons, Butler, Anderson) These guys will not just sit on the arch and wait for a three point shot but will attack the rim to create shots. Thus a new wrinkle for this evolving offensive system. IMHO.

benefactor
10-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Mr Bones
10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Defensive Rating is one of the stats most susceptible to team influence-- and that's the opinion of Dean Oliver, the statistician who invented it: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html

McCallum played on a dysfunctional Sacramento team, so I'd take his DRtg with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean much. The fact that he plays with energy on the defensive end and doesn't take unnecessary risks makes him a fine back up PG.