PDA

View Full Version : So Budweiser will have a complete monopoly on US beer distribution

baseline bum
10-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Budweiser brewer to buy Miller owner in $106 billion deal (https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/10/13/budweiser-brewer-buy-miller-owner-billion-deal/vl0uxkHkivOnpqscCt3rkO/story.html)

BRUSSELS — At the sixth time of asking, British-based brewer SABMiller accepted ‘‘in principle’’ Tuesday a $106 billion (£69 billion) takeover offer from Belgian-Brazilian Anheuser Busch InBev that will create the world’s biggest beer company and bring together top U.S. brands Budweiser and Miller Genuine Draft.

Having dismissed the five previous proposals from AB InBev over the past few weeks as undervaluing the company, the directors of SABMiller finally succumbed to an offer that values each SABMiller share at $67.08 (£44).

AB InBev, which owns Budweiser among a range of top-selling brands, has until Oct. 28 to come up with a formal offer. Over the coming two or so weeks, the two sides will work on the terms and conditions of the takeover offer as well as the financing of the deal.

In statements, the two companies said the all-cash offer represents a premium of around 50 percent to SABMiller’s share price on Sept. 14, the last trading day before renewed speculation of an approach from AB InBev emerged. AB InBev’s first offer valued SABMiller, which has its roots in South Africa, at $57.98 (£38) a share.

The markets think that the deal is now very likely and SABMiller’s share price was trading right near the offer price. In early-morning trading in London, SABMiller’s shares were up 8.8 percent at $60.09 (£39.42).

If the merger deal is formally agreed, then the combined company will control some 31 percent of beer sales around the globe. Given the size of the company, there are likely to be some regulatory concerns, notably in the US and China as authorities worry about the impact on consumer choice.

The new company would dwarf the next biggest player, Heineken, which has 9 percent of the market. A combined company would have total annual sales of $73.3 billion.

Market leader AB InBev already has six of the world’s largest beer brands. In addition to Budweiser, brands it owns include Stella Artois and Beck's. SABMiller, which is based in London, is the maker of rival brand Miller Genuine Draft, along with other names like Peroni and Milwaukee’s Best.

Crucially for AB InBev, a deal would allow it to venture out more into the African and Australian markets where its might has yet to be felt in the way it is in Europe, North Africa and Asia.

The beer industry has been consolidating for the past decade as it seeks to gain more clout with suppliers, distributors and retailers in a market that’s seen overall slowing sales in the US.

baseline bum
10-13-2015, 07:06 AM
I say they'll have a monopoly on beer distribution since we have a retarded system in the US where beer has to go from a manufacturer to a distributor to a retailer. Most of the distributors (I think about 70%) are currently Anheuser-Busch Inbev and only distribute their beers, and the rest are Miller-Coors distributors, who distribute pretty much every other beer in the US. Now I guess everyone is going to have to go through Anheuser-Busch Inbev? That'll be fun, big price hikes on any decent beer in the US now?

mouse
10-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Even my Rolling Rock?

http://beer-taster.com/wp-content/uploads/yapb_cache/rolling_rock1.cbnftvw0xfcws4w0wggw8g0cw.6ylu316ao1 44c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

MultiTroll
10-13-2015, 07:52 AM
'The Simpsons' to Brew Actual, Officially Licensed Duff Beer

On numerous occasions on The Simpsons, the series has joked about the questionable quality of the fictional Duff. In reality, however, British brewmaster Paul Farnsworth created a recipe for Duff that will make the beverage a "premium lager" with a "caramel aromatic."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/the-simpsons-to-brew-actual-officially-licensed-duff-beer-20150712#ixzz3oS4wugax

DJR210
10-13-2015, 09:50 AM
I would buy Duff if I saw it in stores.. How could I not

lefty
10-13-2015, 10:04 AM
:lol North American beer
:lol dog piss

leemajors
10-13-2015, 10:39 AM
I say they'll have a monopoly on beer distribution since we have a retarded system in the US where beer has to go from a manufacturer to a distributor to a retailer. Most of the distributors (I think about 70%) are currently Anheuser-Busch Inbev and only distribute their beers, and the rest are Miller-Coors distributors, who distribute pretty much every other beer in the US. Now I guess everyone is going to have to go through Anheuser-Busch Inbev? That'll be fun, big price hikes on any decent beer in the US now?

there are a bunch of smaller regional distributors that have popped up, at least in Texas. doesn't help us getting stuff from OOS though. Any thoughts on this, scott ?

Wild Cobra
10-13-2015, 11:54 AM
So...

The will become the largest maker of piss water.

~O~
10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
lol That is about right

resistanze
10-13-2015, 03:20 PM
:lol Pissweiser and Miller Genuine Piss

baseline bum
10-13-2015, 03:30 PM

:cry But they have NFL logos on the cans :cry
:cry And the clydesdales :cry

baseline bum
10-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Since your ass is in Cali now you're in the epicenter of the American craft brewery scene. So many incredible breweries in California and Oregon: Stone, Rogue, Bear Republic, Deschutes, Sierra Nevada are all incredible off the top of my head.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about Anchor, which is pretty awesome too and located in SF.

TimDunkem
10-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Ballast Point is another one, I believe.

resistanze
10-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Since your ass is in Cali now you're in the epicenter of the American craft brewery scene. So many incredible breweries in California and Oregon: Stone, Rogue, Bear Republic, Deschutes, Sierra Nevada are all incredible off the top of my head.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about Anchor, which is pretty awesome too and located in SF.

Cellarmaker Brewing Company, 21st amendment...too fucking many in the city.

MI21
10-14-2015, 06:35 AM
My time in California was peak beer drinking for me, as Baseline mentioned, so many great brews that are easy to find.

leemajors
10-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Cellarmaker Brewing Company, 21st amendment...too fucking many in the city.

Been to Toronado Pub yet? I'd highly recommend a visit to Petaluma for Lagunitas too, their tasting room/pub is the shit.

Spurminator
10-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Does this mean there will be an aluminum bottle with a vortex opening that turns blue when it's cold? We are about to reach peak marketing gimmickry.

hater
10-14-2015, 10:45 AM
:lmao I didn't even know Budweiser was still being made

can't think of a worse beer tbh :lol

no beer drinker myself but do enjoy a cold Belgian one once in a while....

lefty
10-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Does this mean there will be an aluminum bottle with a vortex opening that turns blue when it's cold? We are about to reach peak marketing gimmickry.
:lol

lefty
10-14-2015, 11:42 AM
no beer drinker myself but do enjoy a cold Belgian one once in a while....
http://www.saveur-biere-entreprise.com/visuels/produits/4876/image1.jpg

resistanze
10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
http://www.saveur-biere-entreprise.com/visuels/produits/4876/image1.jpg

http://www.porchdrinking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Product-Unibroue-Don-De-Dieu.preview.jpg
No beer is better tbh

DMX7
10-14-2015, 02:03 PM

So true

lefty
10-14-2015, 02:56 PM
http://www.porchdrinking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Product-Unibroue-Don-De-Dieu.preview.jpg
No beer is better tbh
Damn now I want to go to Northern Europe, drink some good local beer, eat cheese and beat the shit out of an army of Goblins

The Gemini Method
10-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Damn now I want to go to Northern Europe, drink some good local beer, eat cheese and beat the shit out of an army of Goblins I'm sure you'll have no problem rounding up some Syrian folks to help you with your goblin quest.

lefty
10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm sure you'll have no problem rounding up some Syrian folks to help you with your goblin quest.

whatever it takes

The Sun will be red my friend

Goblins and Orcs will suffer

pgardn
10-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Not so fast OP.

This did not happen out of nowhere. Big Beer (bouton's most hated of big) is possibly very leary of all the inroads of microbrew and these little beer contests taking place around the country. The US is seeing the piss beer share going down. Once the college student stops drinking it, oh no...

Kawhitstorm
10-15-2015, 03:54 PM
:sleep

boutons_deux
10-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Exclusive: U.S. probes allegations AB InBev seeking to curb craft beer distribution

The U.S. Justice Department is probing allegations that Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI.BR (http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=ABI.BR)) is seeking to curb competition in the beer market by buying distributors, making it harder for fast-growing craft brewers to get their products on store shelves, according to three people familiar with the matter.

In the past few months, the world's largest brewer has rattled the craft beer world by striking deals for five distributors in three states.

Many states require brewers to use distributors to sell their product, and once AB InBev buys a distributor, craft companies say they find that they can't distribute their beer as easily and sales growth stalls.

Antitrust regulators are also reviewing craft brewers' claims that AB InBev pushes some independent distributors to only carry the company's products and end their ties with the craft industry, two of the sources said, noting that the investigation was in its early stages. AB InBev's purchase of several craft beer makers in recent years means that it is in a position to offer a greater variety of products itself.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/12/us-abinbev-doj-antitrust-exclusive-idUSKCN0S623R20151012