PDA

View Full Version : patty mills increased role

jkid12456
10-14-2015, 11:22 PM
seems pop is playing him more mins, will he be more of a playmaker and less passing it over to manu? discuss

SAGirl
10-14-2015, 11:33 PM
I would expect him to have an increased role for sure. He was terrific in the Clippers' series offensively, and has been balling and shooting well. Manu is here to help out, not to have to carry the bench every possession, like before.

Kawhitstorm
10-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Pick-n-Pop w/ D-West, Bobo can be the postup guy, Manu can be the playmaker & maybe throw someone like Simmons into the mix for defense.

cd98
10-14-2015, 11:54 PM
He can't guard anyone outside of ball pressure and he's not a creator. But he's a damn good scorer. He's going to score a lot of points this year.

-21-
10-14-2015, 11:54 PM
With Tony and Manu's decline, giving Patty more minutes and an increased playmaking role would make sense.

Kawhitstorm
10-15-2015, 12:24 AM
He can't guard anyone outside of ball pressure and he's not a creator. But he's a damn good scorer. He's going to score a lot of points this year.

Damian Lillard is worse than Patty on defense & he's supposed to be a franchise player.

cd98
10-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Damian Lillard is worse than Patty on defense & he's supposed to be a franchise player.

And so....?

DJR210
10-15-2015, 12:43 AM
I'll discuss..

OP is a faggot

T Park
10-15-2015, 01:41 AM
The notion Patty Mills is a bad defender ended the season he came to camp in shape.

benfti
10-15-2015, 03:39 AM
I can see, and I hope that Patty Mills is a spur for life

ceperez
10-15-2015, 04:06 AM
seems pop is playing him more mins, will he be more of a playmaker and less passing it over to manu? discuss

If the designated back up point guard is Ray McCallum, then Spurs absolutely have to play Mills more.

McCallum doesn't seem to have the IQ to run the offense.

ceds
10-15-2015, 06:20 AM
The notion Patty Mills is a bad defender ended the season he came to camp in shape.

This.

In 2014 he was under direct orders from POP to play a full court pressure style defense as a means to help tire out the opposing point . Whilst Mills was "pesky" and able to force some turnovers it is also more difficult to contain the opposing pg playing this type of defense. It is not fair to judge Mills as an individual defender in this setting as his goals are different to what we would normally expect (from parker for example). Mills played about 15m per game which is the max one can expect & was pretty successful playing this style however at the end of the day its a gimmick and cannot be maintained for a full 48m. Since it requires so much energy to play D this way and that Mills is also expected an increase in PT ( ~25m??) i think we will now go to Ray McCallum when looking for someone to provide this.

He may not have the wingspan to disrupt passing lanes, harass the dribbler and blanket guys to be the A+ defender kawai is but Mils does a great job keeping his man in front of him and will fight through screens to keep himself in the play. He's a tough SOB (elite AFL prospect in Australia) that will bump and use contact to keep his position and is capable of hitting the screener with a decent amount of speed/force when fighting to go over. The physicality of the NBA is not something he shy's away from, which is good news for those hoping he can learn to finish in the paint in the future.

Last season we got to see Patty play defense more in a half court setting, unfortunately he was out of shape. This season im expecting some combination of the two and Mills to average close to 25 mins per game. Really excited about Mills this coming season as he now has a firm grasp of the playbook and is confident running the sets . Expecting him to show that he's the best point guard on the team.

cd98
10-15-2015, 06:30 AM

Disagree. He got better as to ball pressure, but he is still not good once he is guarding a good point guard in the half court.

RD2191
10-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Patty Mills is trash.

Kawhitstorm
10-15-2015, 03:14 PM
And so....?

You are worrying about a who lot of nothing

tholdren
10-15-2015, 03:40 PM
I'll discuss..

OP is a faggot

Would expect nothing less from Southern pride. Since I speak English patty is the new manu with 1 billionth less court vision

sasaint
10-15-2015, 04:03 PM
E
This.

In 2014 he was under direct orders from POP to play a full court pressure style defense as a means to help tire out the opposing point . Whilst Mills was "pesky" and able to force some turnovers it is also more difficult to contain the opposing pg playing this type of defense. It is not fair to judge Mills as an individual defender in this setting as his goals are different to what we would normally expect (from parker for example). Mills played about 15m per game which is the max one can expect & was pretty successful playing this style however at the end of the day its a gimmick and cannot be maintained for a full 48m. Since it requires so much energy to play D this way and that Mills is also expected an increase in PT ( ~25m??) i think we will now go to Ray McCallum when looking for someone to provide this.

He may not have the wingspan to disrupt passing lanes, harass the dribbler and blanket guys to be the A+ defender kawai is but Mils does a great job keeping his man in front of him and will fight through screens to keep himself in the play. He's a tough SOB (elite AFL prospect in Australia) that will bump and use contact to keep his position and is capable of hitting the screener with a decent amount of speed/force when fighting to go over. The physicality of the NBA is not something he shy's away from, which is good news for those hoping he can learn to finish in the paint in the future.

Last season we got to see Patty play defense more in a half court setting, unfortunately he was out of shape. This season im expecting some combination of the two and Mills to average close to 25 mins per game. Really excited about Mills this coming season as he now has a firm grasp of the playbook and is confident running the sets . Expecting him to show that he's the best point guard on the team.

I have no way of knowing about the "direct orders" but what you're saying is perfectly consistent with my own observations. Patty is a real, if undersized, warrior. He has come a LONG way from being the cheerleader at the end of the bench who waved the towel. If he were to surpass Tony by the end of this season, I would be surprised, but it might bode well for the team - unless, of course, Patty passes him due to an injury or to Tony's very sharp decline.