PDA

View Full Version : Heat want another problem: Eyeing GP!

ducks
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Heat President Pat Riley warned Wednesday not to dismiss Gary Payton as a Heat free-agent target.

"Gary Payton is the best available player out there now," Riley said. "He's an incredible athlete. He's in great shape. He's never been hurt. He might be 37 years old, but he's aberrational when it comes to perimeter players who can still play at a very high level in this league at that age and keep up with the young guys.

"Gary, his numbers from last year were as good as a number of young guards in this league. What he is, is he's proven. He's got savvy. He's fearless. And weighing adding a point guard over a small forward, as well as debating youth vs. experience.he can still play."

Although Riley declined to discuss specific plans, the Heat apparently is

Riley hinted that Payton's willingness to play a supporting role behind starter Jason Williams could be a factor.

"I have tremendous, tremendous respect for veteran players," he said. "And I don't ever want to put a veteran player in a position where he's not going to be happy, where he doesn't understand what the role is."

THE BLAKE OPTION

Wizards free agent Steve Blake, a 25-year-old guard who was born in Hollywood and attended Miami High, has been linked to the Heat in a potential sign-and-trade transaction. However, such a move would likely involve a future Heat draft choice.

Riley said he is reluctant to deal another pick, having sent two to the Lakers a year ago for Shaquille O'Neal and two more this summer to Boston for Antoine Walker.

"You take a look at our ballhandlers, we've got Jason and we've got Dwyane [Wade] and we've got Antoine who can really handle. Do we need another one? Yeah, we probably need another one that we can really depend on," Riley said. "I love Steve Blake. I think he's got a great upside, but what we are right now is about now."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...fla-sports-heat