PDA

View Full Version : Rasual Butler making the team?

UNT Eagles 2016
10-18-2015, 02:34 PM
The dude is a veteran who can shoot lights out, play decent defense and should probably be our 4th wing considering what we've got currently. Anyone have a good clue on his status/chances to make the opening day roster?

I know these spots are filled (in rough order of importance to the team):

- Duncan
- Aldridge
- Leonard
- Parker
- Ginobili
- Green
- Mills
- Diaw
- West
- Marjanovic
- McCallum
- Bonner
- Anderson (unfortunately)

Is Simmons guaranteed as well?
Will Fredette be cut?
Is there anyone else to consider?

SAGirl
10-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Butler has been playing as a stretch 4 (Bonner's role), so your hope that he bumps Anderson is misguided.

Simmons guaranteed for 1 year, has not played well, has shot poorly and looked hesitant to shoot. He hustles on defense though and has been a good passer when he doesn't try to do too much, or dribble into traffic. I personally think he stays, but TBH he has looked very bad at times.

Fredette, unknown, has the longest thread dedicated to him, so no need to say anything about him other than he's still around and has not been cut.

Reggie Williams has gotten an extended look, can shoot the 3, but can't defend at all. I think he's gone, but who knows?

Ndoye, an athletic big center. Has shown potential on defense, but is very undeveloped offensively. He's a project with potential if he can improve in some areas. I like him, but we already have Boban as a project center, so I think he's gone.

None of the other guys are worth a second look.

Cuts should be incoming, per Pop.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Butler has been playing as a stretch 4 (Bonner's role), so your hope that he bumps Anderson is misguided.

Simmons guaranteed for 1 year, has not played well, has shot poorly and looked hesitant to shoot. He hustles on defense though and has been a good passer when he doesn't try to do too much, or dribble into traffic. I personally think he stays, but TBH he has looked very bad at times.

Fredette, unknown, has the longest thread dedicated to him, so no need to say anything about him other than he's still around and has not been cut.

Reggie Williams has gotten an extended look, can shoot the 3, but can't defend at all. I think he's gone, but who knows?

Ndoye, an athletic big center. Has shown potential on defense, but is very undeveloped offensively. He's a project with potential if he can improve in some areas. I like him, but we already have Boban as a project center, so I think he's gone.

We have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill already at the 4 position even if you exclude Bonner, so that's out. He's a natural 3 and he's played the swingman position most of his career, so that's what's most likely tbh.

apalisoc_9
10-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Butler will make the team

DeRozan m8
10-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Can Bonner fuck off already.
This kunt knows he's not fit and he's keeping a better person out, what a fucking dog of a bloke he's becoming.
Put some more ice on ya calves ya red nuts

Chinook
10-18-2015, 05:24 PM

Ndoye along with Sykes is likely Austin-bound next month. It'll be interesting to see him and Cady develop together in the d-league.

Kawhitstorm
10-18-2015, 05:25 PM

My girl with that in depth analysis :bobo

TimDunkem
10-18-2015, 05:32 PM
The last spot on the roster is Butler's to lose.

TheGreatYacht
10-18-2015, 05:33 PM
This kunt knows he's not fit and he's keeping a better person out, what a fucking dog of a bloke he's becoming.
Put some more ice on ya calves ya red nuts
Well said

Gladney to see you
10-18-2015, 05:37 PM
What else does Butler have to do to lose it?

random21
10-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Butler should make the team based on his hustle, heart and vet leadership...

tholdren
10-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Yes, he has a positive A/TO ratio. A PG in the rotation has a 1:4...

LakerHater
10-18-2015, 10:45 PM
I think hes the only one w a NG that will!

Sean Cagney
10-18-2015, 11:23 PM

:lol I love this post.

cd98
10-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Tbh, he won't be on the team by the end of the year. Spurs will be buyers when the rash of mediocre talented players get bought out at the end of the year.

jyra
10-19-2015, 02:25 AM

I think that's more about fitting him (Butler) in with the second unit rather than his intended role. I seriously doubt that he will play there in the regular season.

BillMc
10-19-2015, 02:44 AM
I think hes the only one w a NG that will!

Agreed

UNT Eagles 2016
10-19-2015, 10:38 PM
I think that's more about fitting him (Butler) in with the second unit rather than his intended role. I seriously doubt that he will play there in the regular season.

this, Butler is a career SWINGMAN. That means, for those of you that don't know basketball, an oscillation between the 2 and 3. He's always been more of a 3 than a 2, and some guy from PTR noted that his game is quite similar to Belinelli's without the finessey flash and Butler is also a better defender for his career. If he can shoot, make free throws, defend adequately and not try to do too much on offense himself, he'll be a great fit.

8FOR!3
10-19-2015, 10:51 PM
I think he should make the team based off still being able to knockdown the open three. Even in spot minutes we could use his shooting when others are cold. It should be noted that Kyle Anderson and Jonathan Simmons both aren't really three point shooters.

SAGirl
10-19-2015, 11:46 PM
It is possible, specially if we consider that Kawhi already commands most minutes at the 3, and behind him is Kyle, who they want to get as ready as possible for the season.

jyra
10-20-2015, 04:33 AM
It is possible, specially if we consider that Kawhi already commands most minutes at the 3, and behind him is Kyle, who they want to get as ready as possible for the season.

Danny should also see his minutes increased with Beli gone. To me that just means that Butler will not get any regular minutes. He's injury/foul trouble/everybody else is cold-insurance.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 07:31 AM
I think he should make the team based off still being able to knockdown the open three. Even in spot minutes we could use his shooting when others are cold. It should be noted that Kyle Anderson and Jonathan Simmons both aren't really three point shooters.
EXACTLY why they should both ride the pine outside of nuclear garbage time. We need 3 & D from the backup 3 position, NOT ball stoppers that are below average at making plays and getting to the basket. From the bench, we have Manu for that. I guess Anderson should get the backup 2 ("point swingman") role whenever Manu isn't playing due to rest or (god forbid) injury.

hater
10-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Butler looks great out there.

it's his spot to lose IMO

Obstructed_View
10-20-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm fairly sure that Butler makes the roster while they find out if Simmons' struggles are temporary.

ceperez
10-20-2015, 11:13 AM

I don't think Butler's 3 point shooting is anything better than KA.

SAGirl
10-20-2015, 12:55 PM
EXACTLY why they should both ride the pine outside of nuclear garbage time. We need 3 & D from the backup 3 position, NOT ball stoppers that are below average at making plays and getting to the basket. From the bench, we have Manu for that. I guess Anderson should get the backup 2 ("point swingman") role whenever Manu isn't playing due to rest or (god forbid) injury.
You don't know what you are talking about. None of these two guys are ball stoppers. You could have criticized many other parts of their game, but ball-stoppers they are not. Kyle in fact is one of the best young passers we have (if not the best TBH). By Pop himself: "he makes everybody better, and is really a smart player." Simmons has disappointed some fans who expected him to be Manu-lite. He's not, he has been out of control attacking the basket and has troubles with his ballhandling (I personally knew this was going to be a problem because I watched him in the d'league, but some ppl didn't think the problem would be this pronounced.) Regardless, he's hardly a ball stopper. If there are two things he can do at an NBA level are defend, and find open shooters. Kyle can make the corner 3, and projects to be a part of the Spurs future, and will play this season several positions (by Pop himself.) Simmons has been reluctant to shoot and could possibly have confidence issues but he's an NBA rook. He needs to settle down.

SAGirl
10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't think Butler's 3 point shooting is anything better than KA.
Some ppl are just going to keep on hating Kyle Anderson bc they just don't like his style. Guy comes up with 5 assists in 14-15 mins and a +10 in a game, and some guys will just be hating. I guess it's part of some Kyle Anderson hating "krew".

ceperez
10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Some ppl are just going to keep on hating Kyle Anderson bc they just don't like his style. Guy comes up with 5 assists in 14-15 mins and a +10 in a game, and some guys will just be hating. I guess it's part of some Kyle Anderson hating "krew".

5 assists is a very big deal. I didn't see the last game, but there was a highlight play by Manu assisted by KA. It was a tough pass to make but Anderson knew what to do.

Simmons is also a good passer ( confirmed by quotes from Pop ), he'll just will need to gain familiarity with the NBA game.

What is absolutely disappointing for me is McCallum. I'm impressed with his quick release, but he just doesn't have the basketball IQ to know how to pass the ball. It is even more disappointing knowing that his dad is a coach and he played for his dad in college. My suspicion here is that he doesn't have the length to get the right angle to pass the ball.

Speaking though of the original OP. If KA shoots as well as Butler at the 3, then why would the Spurs need Butler?

ChumpDumper
10-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Speaking though of the original OP. If KA shoots as well as Butler at the 3, then why would the Spurs need Butler?If Kawhi misses his usual 1/5 of the season, there will be plenty of need for Butler -- and who knows how well Anderson is going to play all season?

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 02:59 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. None of these two guys are ball stoppers. You could have criticized many other parts of their game, but ball-stoppers they are not. Kyle in fact is one of the best young passers we have (if not the best TBH). By Pop himself: "he makes everybody better, and is really a smart player." Simmons has disappointed some fans who expected him to be Manu-lite. He's not, he has been out of control attacking the basket and has troubles with his ballhandling (I personally knew this was going to be a problem because I watched him in the d'league, but some ppl didn't think the problem would be this pronounced.) Regardless, he's hardly a ball stopper. If there are two things he can do at an NBA level are defend, and find open shooters. Kyle can make the corner 3, and projects to be a part of the Spurs future, and will play this season several positions (by Pop himself.) Simmons has been reluctant to shoot and could possibly have confidence issues but he's an NBA rook. He needs to settle down.
We need a backup small forward, not a 6'6" Andre Miller playing point forward/post guard with Patty Mills and Manu also on the floor.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2015, 03:00 PM
We need a backup small forward, not a 6'6" Andre Miller playing point forward/post guard with Patty Mills and Manu also on the floor.Did you make Simmons taller or Anderson shorter?

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Did you make Simmons taller or Anderson shorter?
however tall Anderson is. He's got the same type of game as Miller and that's really the last thing we need.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2015, 03:45 PM
however tall Anderson is. He's got the same type of game as Miller and that's really the last thing we need.He doesn't really -- and you really can't talk about a player if you whiff on his height that badly.

ceperez
10-20-2015, 03:49 PM
He doesn't really -- and you really can't talk about a player if you whiff on his height that badly.

One rare case where I agree with you Chump.

6'6" Anderson???? Is he talking about James Anderson?

Kawhitstorm
10-20-2015, 03:53 PM
however tall Anderson is. He's got the same type of game as Miller and that's really the last thing we need.

Andre Miller game was bullying guards in the post & pounding the air out of the ball. Kyle is a better shooters/defender & can't bully forwards in the post.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Andre Miller game was bullying guards in the post & pounding the air out of the ball. Kyle is a better shooters/defender & can't bully forwards in the post.
Kyle is a better defender than Miller? I seem to recall Miller shutting TP down when TP first entered the league... Miller was always regarded as a top 5 PG defender. My point was that Kyle tries to post up guards pretty frequently when they match up against him and they're both slow and methodical and pretty good passers, but won't wow you with athleticism and aren't good shooters.

SAGirl
10-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Did you make Simmons taller or Anderson shorter?
Guy doesn't know what he's talking about. :lol

Chinook
10-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Kyle is a better defender than Miller? I seem to recall Miller shutting TP down when TP first entered the league... Miller was always regarded as a top 5 PG defender. My point was that Kyle tries to post up guards pretty frequently when they match up against him and they're both slow and methodical and pretty good passers, but won't wow you with athleticism and aren't good shooters.

Without knowing Anderson's true size, it's hard to get a grasp on his strengths and weaknesses. His height/length combo is unrivaled by SFs outside of Durant, George and maybe Leonard (Kawhi has him on length but not height). Hell, there are probably CENTERS that don't have his standing reach. I read somewhere that the average height of an NBA SF is 6-6, and I would assume bench threes are even shorter. Anderson will have a mismatch almost every night. The Spurs' bench definitely needed a guy who can get his shots any time he wants.

The question that I think is in line with your concern is about how he can fit into a lineup where he doesn't have the ball to exploit his one-on-one advantages. I am and definitely was very uncertain about this. He didn't seem to fit well with Manu at all. However, last game was very encouraging to his over all fit. He passed and passed WELL. He was great at creating ideal entry angles. That he can high-low like a big but also make skip passes and pocket passes like a guard is crazy-impressive and will definitely fit in with the bench. I just need to see him both pass and score well in the same game with the second unit before my concerns go away.

Gladney to see you
10-20-2015, 06:59 PM
He is dirt slow so he just won't be effective on certain nights and situations. He can do some good things, but I don't know how consistent he will be.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Without knowing Anderson's true size, it's hard to get a grasp on his strengths and weaknesses. His height/length combo is unrivaled by SFs outside of Durant, George and maybe Leonard (Kawhi has him on length but not height). Hell, there are probably CENTERS that don't have his standing reach. I read somewhere that the average height of an NBA SF is 6-6, and I would assume bench threes are even shorter. Anderson will have a mismatch almost every night. The Spurs' bench definitely needed a guy who can get his shots any time he wants.

The question that I think is in line with your concern is about how he can fit into a lineup where he doesn't have the ball to exploit his one-on-one advantages. I am and definitely was very uncertain about this. He didn't seem to fit well with Manu at all. However, last game was very encouraging to his over all fit. He passed and passed WELL. He was great at creating ideal entry angles. That he can high-low like a big but also make skip passes and pocket passes like a guard is crazy-impressive and will definitely fit in with the bench. I just need to see him both pass and score well in the same game with the second unit before my concerns go away.
I think he and Manu should share Manu's old role (from his prime years) tbh, with Manu still receiving the majority of those minutes (20-25+) in non-blowout games

Butler should be 2nd SF
Manu/Anderson split backup SG
Mills backup PG
West/Diaw split backup PF
Marjanovic backup C -- 10 minutes or so -- Aldridge will have to play center sometimes to mitigate this at first until Boban becomes more comfortable. We can't afford to have both West and Diaw in at the same time as they're both redundant and they're both too undersized to be a center.

Kawhitstorm
10-20-2015, 10:42 PM
I think he and Manu should share Manu's old role (from his prime years) tbh, with Manu still receiving the majority of those minutes (20-25+) in non-blowout games

Butler should be 2nd SF
Manu/Anderson split backup SG
Mills backup PG
West/Diaw split backup PF
Marjanovic backup C -- 10 minutes or so -- Aldridge will have to play center sometimes to mitigate this at first until Boban becomes more comfortable. We can't afford to have both West and Diaw in at the same time as they're both redundant and they're both too undersized to be a center.

Diaw/West are going to play together along w/ having their minutes staggered to play w/ either Tim or LMA, Boban is going to get rotation minutes against Dwight/DeAndre/Cousins/Gasol & those guys otherwise it's most likely going to be mop up duties for him unless Diaw/West is a disaster.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Diaw/West are going to play together along w/ having their minutes staggered to play w/ either Tim or LMA, Boban is going to get rotation minutes against Dwight/DeAndre/Cousins/Gasol & those guys otherwise it's most likely going to be mop up duties for him unless Diaw/West is a disaster.
Diaw/West is a disaster against anyone big, or really with anyone on the other side who can get to the basket. Who's going to block their shots?

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Diaw/West is a disaster against anyone big, or really with anyone on the other side who can get to the basket. Who's going to block their shots?

Last I checked Draymond Green isn't a better shot blocker than West.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Last I checked Draymond Green isn't a better shot blocker than West.
last I checked Green was a PF... and Bogut/Ezeli were the centers for GSW.

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Boxscore Bobby

Aztecfan03
10-21-2015, 09:57 PM

GOlden state likes to play small. From google:
Roster (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=golden+state+warriors+roster&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMleCs7Rks5Ot9IsL 8otKiqFUfElqYq5VUX5xSWoRAGPY43M1AAAA&sa=X&ved=0CKcBEDEoADAbahUKEwi99snxidXIAhUG32MKHdJ9CTs)

Stephen Curry
Point guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=stephen+curry&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLFSyg1Ni7SE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAEcO8zQrAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CKoBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Klay Thompson
Shooting guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=klay+thompson&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArGScpMMTU20 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwCP7qOpLAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CKwBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Draymond Green
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=draymond+green&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArFMq3LN8sy0 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwDoAkUbLAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CK4BEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Andre Iguodala
Small forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=andre+iguodala&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLHMkyoq07SE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAJSw3Z0rAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLABEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Harrison Barnes
Small forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=harrison+barnes&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArHMyi1NC1O0 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwDZiNfzLAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLIBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Andrew Bogut
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=andrew+bogut&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLFMzbIrCrWE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLABvCtn8rAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLQBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Kevon Looney
Power forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=kevon+looney&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBrEMjZKqCnPz tISCC_KLSopDUhNzQ_KD8otLUosAJ_ssHS0AAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLYBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Leandro Barbosa
Point guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=leandro+barbosa&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLHMLVLKjLWE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLACxhdyArAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLgBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

James Michael McAdoo
Power forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=james+michael+mcadoo&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArGSCwzy4uO1 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwB_lqd-LAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLoBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Ognjen Kuzmić
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=ognjen+kuzmic&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArGyjSxzUsy1 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwCKvvNZLAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CLwBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Shaun Livingston
Point guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=shaun+livingston&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLFMkrNNjbSE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAPAR0twrAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CL4BEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Jason Thompson
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=jason+thompson+basketball&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArGMK7Msc4y1 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwBQyx31LAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMABEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Festus Ezeli
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=festus+ezeli&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArEyjMvKLbO0 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwBfp286LAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMIBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Marreese Speights
Center
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=marreese+speights&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArGMCpPj0yu1 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwCBDioyLAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMQBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Ian Clark
Shooting guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=ian+clark&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArOMS-ILDbSEggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAFA9fPksAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMYBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Brandon Rush
Small forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=brandon+rush&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLHS04yzirWE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAL-DPzIrAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMgBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Chris Babb
Shooting guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=chris+babb&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArNMqnIK0rSE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLAOQifn4sAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMoBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Jarell Eddie
Small forward
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=jarell+eddie&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiArHKDSosLbO1 hIIL8otKikNSE3ND8oPyi0tSiwDy2Wk9LAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CMwBEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

Ben Gordon
Shooting guard
(https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUD_enUS620US620&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=703&q=ben+gordon&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLQz9U3yMrNMlfiBLGMCgpy07SE ggvyi0qKQ1ITc0Pyg_KLS1KLADRDVJArAAAA&sa=X&ved=0CM4BEMQNMBtqFQoTCL32yfGJ1cgCFQbfYwod0n0JOw)

ANd what about when Bogut is injured.

cd021
10-21-2015, 10:33 PM

Early on, at least, I'd expect Diaw and West to play together. Eventually, I'd expect L.A to play with Duncan or West beside him while Duncan plays with L.A. or Diaw

cd021
10-21-2015, 10:34 PM

Their best defensive units had Green at Center. They usually had Iggy, Thompson and Barnes on the floor as well. If Livingston is playing PG that's five players that are at least 6'7.

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Early on, at least, I'd expect Diaw and West to play together. Eventually, I'd expect L.A to play with Duncan or West beside him while Duncan plays with L.A. or Diaw

Better to have Tim/D-West & LMA/Diaw since that would mean there will be one stretch 4 on the floor along w/ one player that knows the system inside-and-out.

sasaint
10-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Better to have Tim/D-West & LMA/Diaw since that would mean there will be one stretch 4 on the floor along w/ one player that knows the system inside-and-out.

In my mind I go back and forth on these combos. Is it better to split up the players with system knowledge and experience, or is it better to keep Tim and Boris together to preserve their chemistry and put LMA with West together and let them develop their own chemistry?

sasaint
10-22-2015, 09:12 AM

Why do you not see Duncan teamed with West or LMA teamed with Diaw?

ceperez
10-22-2015, 10:05 AM
In my mind I go back and forth on these combos. Is it better to split up the players with system knowledge and experience, or is it better to keep Tim and Boris together to preserve their chemistry and put LMA with West together and let them develop their own chemistry?

It does seem that there are a whole lot of better combos.

The current starting 5 doesn't have enough good passers.

The 2nd team needs a more reliable scoring threat.

This is what I saw against the Suns:

Parker, Simmons, Anderson, Aldridge, Duncan (Simmons and Anderson being better passers than Green and Leonard)
McCallum, Ginobili, Leonard, Diaw, West (Leonard as go to guy here, with still good passers in Ginobili and Diaw)

dbestpro
10-22-2015, 10:42 AM
The last roster spot is best used for someone who can play in Austin. That player has yet to be identified. The Spurs love maximum flexibility, so I still think Butler and Williams will both get cut, and the Spurs will leave camp with 14 players.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-22-2015, 11:02 AM
According to ESPN depth chart, he's not on the team over Williams and Simmons :lol

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs

SpursBig3s
10-22-2015, 11:08 AM
I think we will need Butler because he's really the only wing player that can replace Belinelli's shooting. Obviously he,s not the same caliber player as Beli, who was far more diverse offensively, but we're lacking in 3pt shooting off the bench, and Butler can shoot and defend at a level that is acceptable enough against bench wings

UNT Eagles 2016
10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Their best defensive units had Green at Center. They usually had Iggy, Thompson and Barnes on the floor as well. If Livingston is playing PG that's five players that are at least 6'7.
that's going by per 100 defensive possessions (not factoring in offensive rebounds) instead of oppPPG though. I'm not usually one for more nominal stats, but I think oppPPG is very important considering the Spurs' offense will be worse (and probably slower) this year. (oppPPG is relatively worthless in football if your offense consists of Brandon Weeden standing like a statue in the pocket waiting to get sacked every time.) The problem with smallball in the NBA is that even though you might have guys that won't let the other team get to the basket as much, when they do get to the basket it will be murder because there will be no "last line of defense" not to mention the fact that they will get dominated, I mean ANALLY OWNED on the boards with Diaw/West in together. It's like having a great front 7 and a godawful secondary. Better hope someone gets to the quarterback before he throws a bomb for a guaranteed touchdown, that's not a winning defensive strategy.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-22-2015, 04:03 PM
I think we will need Butler because he's really the only wing player that can replace Belinelli's shooting. Obviously he,s not the same caliber player as Beli, who was far more diverse offensively, but we're lacking in 3pt shooting off the bench, and Butler can shoot and defend at a level that is acceptable enough against bench wings
Butler instead of Belinelli is a trade off, Belinelli is a far better passer and playmaker but Butler is a historically good defender for his career and he's more likely to earn the hustle, gritty, grimy points which will be important in the playoffs and we know how useless Belinelli was in these areas.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 04:33 PM
The last roster spot is best used for someone who can play in Austin. That player has yet to be identified. The Spurs love maximum flexibility, so I still think Butler and Williams will both get cut, and the Spurs will leave camp with 14 players.

This is likely what will happen.

Full Roster:

Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge, Duncan
Mills, Ginobili, Anderson, Diaw, West
McCallum, Simmons, Bonner, Marjanovic

15th will remain spot empty

SpursBig3s
10-22-2015, 06:43 PM
I agree, very true. Hopefully he can replace his shooting too, since he's historically been a 3&D guy. His lack of playmaking and passing won't necessarily be needed since he would be playing with Manu, West (whose a good enough passer), Diaw, and Slomo

monkeypunk
10-22-2015, 07:15 PM
I agree, very true. Hopefully he can replace his shooting too, since he's historically been a 3&D guy. His lack of playmaking and passing won't necessarily be needed since he would be playing with Manu, West (whose a good enough passer), Diaw, and Slomo

Agreed, all we need him to his reasonably defend his man and move to the open 3 spots on the floor. If he can hit his 3 at 40% or higher, which he should if he trusts the system and finds his shot, he'll be just what we need at his position.

ceperez
10-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Butler is history... Spurs sign Julian Washburn ( http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/22/9600494/julian-washburn-signs-with-spurs ) the next Bruce Bowen!!!!

Gladney to see you
10-22-2015, 07:35 PM
You can't move to the future if you are living in the past. Not saying which one is right Bowen or Butler.

Kikoluna
10-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Who the heck is rasual Butler?

T Park
10-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Butler is history... Spurs sign Julian Washburn ( http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/10/22/9600494/julian-washburn-signs-with-spurs ) the next Bruce Bowen!!!!

Will never wear an SA Spurs jersey unless something drastic happens.

spursince#99
10-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Butler will make the team. I guarantee.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
This is likely what will happen.

Full Roster:

Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge, Duncan
Mills, Ginobili, Anderson, Diaw, West
McCallum, Simmons, Bonner, Marjanovic

15th will remain spot empty

if anything
Butler >>>>>>> Simmons

tholdren
10-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Lol what the hell is rc doing? Off season started with huge expectations now looks like.....

ChumpDumper
10-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Lol what the hell is rc doing? Off season started with huge expectations now looks like.....Looks like they got Lamarcus Aldridge and David West.

What else were you expecting?

Jimmer to play well?

Spur|n|Austin
10-22-2015, 10:34 PM
If Kawhi misses his usual 1/5 of the season, there will be plenty of need for Butler -- and who knows how well Anderson is going to play all season?

I think Kyle is a 'what you see is what you get' type of player - if he gets the minutes, they're his to lose.

cd021
10-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Why do you not see Duncan teamed with West or LMA teamed with Diaw?
I view West as the backup 5 (LMA may actually be the center in that lineup). So when Duncan exits, West subs in for him, while LMA stays on the floor. Same goes with Diaw as LMAs backup. Duncan and Diaw have a great track record,playing together, i'd imagine Pop continues to play them together.

TheGreatYacht
10-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Fits the team like a glove. I hope he doesn't get cut while a useless scrub like Bonner stays

BillMc
10-23-2015, 10:00 PM
I think he just makes it.

Mel_13
10-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Butler makes the opening day roster. Williams is the final cut (plus that dleague guy they signed yesterday).

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-23-2015, 10:10 PM
He was playing very confidently tonight. I think he's in.

Mnky
10-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Fits the team like a glove. I hope he doesn't get cut while a useless scrub like Bonner stays

On the real. This guy fits the second units need of having someone force the issue. Sometimes they get too pass happy, and he's no slouch on the offensive end for a bench guy. Don't see him being cut.. unless bonners legacy is in jeopardy tbh.

Chinook
10-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Again, he exclusively played the four today. It really does seem like that's where the Spurs want to put him. Bonner may not be safe after all.

exstatic
10-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Again, he exclusively played the four today. It really does seem like that's where the Spurs want to put him. Bonner may not be safe after all.

I'm beginning to have a nagging suspicion that Bonner was never meant to make the team, and like Bowen, his final year partial guarantee is a thank you/parting gift. He's barely played at all this pre-season.

Chinook
10-23-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm beginning to have a nagging suspicion that Bonner was never meant to make the team, and like Bowen, his final year partial guarantee is a thank you/parting gift. He's barely played at all this pre-season.

It may have just been Butler insurance. All I know if that if Bonner isn't worried about his job, he should be. Butler didn't shoot well for most of the pre-season, but he did good things in every game. Bonner is underrated as an overall player, but Butler seems more useful at this point.

It would be very queer to gift Bonner so much money this season. It counts double with the tax, and they could have just given him a cushy front-office job if they wanted to say thanks.

cd98
10-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Yes. Butler earned his spot tonight.

SAGirl
10-23-2015, 10:40 PM
You are right on that. Many games also sitting on the seat of honor next to the coaches. You know, where Timmy sits when he is DNP. He didn't look good in his minutes either, not only bc he wasn't shooting, but bc unlike the other guys, he's not versatile. The team have many other options at the 4 that are more versatile than he is, and nowadays, teams just go pure perimeter on you, and Bonner cannot keep up with those guys. He's just not as useful anymore unless he was hitting that 3 at his usual elite rate, and he's not a volume scorer anyway. I have been saying for a while Bonner is done, just refuse to believe that he would be cut.

DenialTwist
10-23-2015, 10:45 PM

I know the Spurs are loyal but why is Bonner still on the team? not trying to be mean I know people love Bonner.

SAGirl
10-23-2015, 10:47 PM
I know the Spurs are loyal but why is Bonner still on the team? not trying to be mean I know people love Bonner.
Because he still wants to play (his agent was getting offers from SAC), and Pop does not have the heart to tell him he's done and can't contribute to the team. His contract only being a partial guarantee though, leads me to believe some kind conversation in that fashion was had with him to a degree.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-23-2015, 10:54 PM

sasaint
10-23-2015, 11:01 PM
You are right on that. Many games also sitting on the seat of honor next to the coaches. You know, where Timmy sits when he is DNP. He didn't look good in his minutes either, not only bc he wasn't shooting, but bc unlike the other guys, he's not versatile. The team have many other options at the 4 that are more versatile than he is, and nowadays, teams just go pure perimeter on you, and Bonner cannot keep up with those guys. He's just not as useful anymore unless he was hitting that 3 at his usual elite rate, and he's not a volume scorer anyway. I have been saying for a while Bonner is done, just refuse to believe that he would be cut.

I'm beginning to think you could be right. The guys you want to be ready need a little court time for timing and a little game conditioning - even a veteran beast like Bonner. The fact that he has barely seen the court makes me suspect it is more than Pop's just leaving the known quantity on the bench in order to see what the others could do.

spurs10
10-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Am I missing something, but aren't Butler and Simmons the 14 and 15 spots and won't effect Bonner being on the roster?Butler and Bonner being on the team aren't mutually exclusive.....right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Am I missing something, but aren't Butler and Simmons the 14 and 15 spots and won't effect Bonner being on the roster?Butler and Bonner being on the team aren't mutually exclusive.....right?

Correct.

TheGreatYacht
10-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Some teams don't like to have the full 15, if the Spurs want to keep 14, then one of Rasual or Simmons is out. Unless Bonner gets cut

spurs10
10-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Correct.

Some teams don't like to have the full 15, if the Spurs want to keep 14, then one of Rasual or Simmons is out. Unless Bonner gets cut Yeah...think I was reading some post from before we knew Williams was gone...so Bonner was in the hunt for getting waived. Bonner is the Keith Richards of the NBA....he's immortal! :hat

sasaint
10-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Some teams don't like to have the full 15, if the Spurs want to keep 14, then one of Rasual or Simmons is out. Unless Bonner gets cut

I don't know for certain, but I believe it is unusual for the Spurs to go with 15. I could be wrong. But Simmons will spend much of the season in Austin again, as Kyle did last year. I think they will pick their spots to play him in SA very carefully. I hope that his making the team will relieve him of a lot of anxiety and restore some of his lost confidence. No more "trying out" in practice or games. I expect he will be able to spend more time with Manu now.

TheGreatYacht
10-23-2015, 11:33 PM
I don't know for certain, but I believe it is unusual for the Spurs to go with 15. I could be wrong. But Simmons will spend much of the season in Austin again, as Kyle did last year. I think they will pick their spots to play him in SA very carefully. I hope that his making the team will relieve him of a lot of anxiety and restore some of his lost confidence. No more "trying out" in practice or games. I expect he will be able to spend more time with Manu now.
I agree, Simmons was given more freedom in the SL under Becky and it wasn't like he was going against dudes from the Y, the Suns had half of their roster there and he torched them. He's been playing like he's trying his hardest not to piss off Pop and is too passive.

These third stringers he's playing against aren't that big of an improvement over the dudes in the Summer League. He should be torching them but it's all mental IMO

SAGirl
10-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I think now that they will keep Bonner and Rasual as the 14-15 man. Later down the road, if the team is interested in a young prospect from d'league (like Ndoye for example if he's improving, or someone else) then at that point, they will make a decision on Bonner. Since he's a partial guarantee, they will not lose if he's waived at that point. That is I think probably the conversation they had with Bonner.

spurs10
10-23-2015, 11:43 PM
I think now that they will keep Bonner and Rasual as the 14-15 man. Later down the road, if the team is interested in a young prospect from d'league (like Ndoye for example if he's improving, or someone else) then at that point, they will make a decision on Bonner. Since he's a partial guarantee, they will not lose if he's waived at that point. That is I think probably the conversation they had with Bonner. Makes sense. Mattie will do whatever is necessary for the good of the team. He's a Spur...:toast
:flag:

HI-FI
10-24-2015, 12:50 AM
I think now that they will keep Bonner and Rasual as the 14-15 man. Later down the road, if the team is interested in a young prospect from d'league (like Ndoye for example if he's improving, or someone else) then at that point, they will make a decision on Bonner. Since he's a partial guarantee, they will not lose if he's waived at that point. That is I think probably the conversation they had with Bonner.
That does make a lot of sense Kori. I bet Bonner will be a team player per par.

Ice009
10-24-2015, 12:55 AM
That does make a lot of sense Kori. I bet Bonner will be a team player per par.

Kori?

HI-FI
10-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Kori?
:lol just bs'ing. You never know though.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 01:21 AM

His deal is partially guaranteed until January 10th so the PATFO has about 2 months to evaluate the team before waiving him to open up a spot for a mid-season signing.

ceperez
10-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Butler will make the team. I guarantee.

Does unguranteed qualify as making the team?

ceperez
10-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Spurs keep financial flexibility with the two partial guarantees with Bonner and Rasual. The only problem is that Spurs can't call up anybody without actually waiving one of the two.

The Spurs need more speed and both Bonner and Rasual don't seem to add that to the game.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2015, 06:07 AM
Spurs keep financial flexibility with the two partial guarantees with Bonner and Rasual. The only problem is that Spurs can't call up anybody without actually waiving one of the two.

The Spurs need more speed and both Bonner and Rasual don't seem to add that to the game.

Bruh, you can't have your cake & eat it too. Diaw/West/Kyle/Manu/Patty have other things to offer besides a 40 in vertical.

ceperez
10-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Bruh, you can't have your cake & eat it too. Diaw/West/Kyle/Manu/Patty have other things to offer besides a 40 in vertical.

Yeah, you are likely right. 14th and 15th slot, I mean the Spurs are almost 12 deep already!

The Rockets had to keep a starter (Beverly) from having their bench fall apart against the Spurs 3rd rotation.

The third rotation is McCallum, Simmons, Butler, Bonner, Marjanovic a lot of first teams will still have some trouble with this group!

SpursIndonesia
10-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Yeah, you are likely right. 14th and 15th slot, I mean the Spurs are almost 12 deep already!

The Rockets had to keep a starter (Beverly) from having their bench fall apart against the Spurs 3rd rotation.

The third rotation is McCallum, Simmons, Butler, Bonner, Marjanovic a lot of first teams will still have some trouble with this group!

The Rox bench outlook will be much better if there was Donatas Motiejunas playing in the middle rather than a rotation of an undersized unpolished rookie and another obese big journey man. I won't take anything much from this preseason game, as well as our 3rd stringers playing and theirs sucking, just let the real season begin and count our blessing of having an injury free preseason. :tu