PDA

View Full Version : Who will regress this year?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-19-2015, 09:53 AM
We have some old guys, and at least one will regress.. Who will it be?

choices:
- Duncan
- Manu
- West
- Parker
- Diaw
- Bonner (lol)
- Butler

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Fwiw, I think Diaw will not play well this year shooting wise

RD2191
10-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Parker tbh. PG position is stacked right now. Too many tough matchups every night.

dabom
10-19-2015, 09:56 AM
You should take porker off the choices .He can't get any worse tbh.

RD2191
10-19-2015, 09:59 AM
And fuck Matt Bonner.

TXstbobcat
10-19-2015, 10:00 AM
I think that Parker will score less this season as more shots will go to Leonard and also due to the addition on LMA.

BillMc
10-19-2015, 10:04 AM
I think that Parker will score less this season as more shots will go to Leonard and also due to the addition on LMA.

True, and for TImmy too. But that doesn't mean they'll necessarily regress. Only that their roles will change.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Easy choice is Manu or Tony. Age hasn't been as kind to Manu as it has been to Tim. Tony may just keep sucking.

TXstbobcat
10-19-2015, 10:17 AM
True, and for TImmy too. But that doesn't mean they'll necessarily regress. Only that their roles will change.

That is true but I also think that part of the reason that Parker's role will change is that he isn't able to do the same things that he could in his prime younger years.

urunobili
10-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Danny will get less minutes/scoring responsibilities if Kawhi is healthy all season

BillMc
10-19-2015, 10:39 AM
That is true but I also think that part of the reason that Parker's role will change is that he isn't able to do the same things that he could in his prime younger years.

Fair enough, you're certainly right. One of the great things about the Spurs is they embrace reality and change roles as players age. Nobody is in denial on this team. Which is why if Parker becomes more of a facilitator, he can still be an effective guard in this league. But his days as the team's leading scorer are over. He still has the best handles on the team, though. That has value.

spurraider21
10-19-2015, 11:10 AM
You should take porker off the choices .He can't get any worse tbh.
His efficiency could

10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Diaw or Tim

SASdynasty!
10-19-2015, 03:10 PM
At some point Parker will have to regress more, but I don't think it will be this season. Here's where he's ranked on the team the past few seasons:

2010-11 - 1st in PPG, 1st in APG
2011-12 - 1st in PPG, 1st in APG
2012-13 - 1st in PPG, 1st in APG
2013-14 - 1st in PPG, 1st in APG
2014-15 - 2nd in PPG, 1st in APG

At some point, someone else has to step up in raw production in terms of scoring and distribution. I can see him not being a top-2 scorer on the Spurs around 2017 and not leading the Spurs in distribution somewhere closer to 2020.

Mikeanaro
10-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Outside Porker I say Green.

Kikoluna
10-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Tony Parker

kjhip1
10-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Scoring down for Parker but I think his assists go up. Diaw's shot looked pretty fluid in his limited minutes of the last preseason game yesterday. With that being said, I think patty breaks out this year.

SPURt
10-19-2015, 03:38 PM
All of them? They are all in their twilight, I don't expect any of them to improve on past success. It wouldn't be unreasonable to see all of them sacrifice stats willingly (Tim) or otherwise (Tony).

BillMc
10-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Scoring down for Parker but I think his assists go up. Diaw's shot looked pretty fluid in his limited minutes of the last preseason game yesterday. With that being said, I think patty breaks out this year.

Given the different needs of the starting unit vs. the bench it would not surprise me if Patty outscored Parker this year. And I agree, I look for a rise in Tony's assists.

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Parker was one of the 20 worst players in the NBA in 2015, it would be surprising if he is any worse, tbh..

Diaw was pretty meh during the season, too, so it can't be him..West is pretty one-dimensional and is joining a team that suits him better than an Indiana team with no playmakers or offensive system..

I'd go with Duncan, just by the odds..he's gonna have to start looking his age at some point..I don't actually expect him to regress, though..

Old School 44
10-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Easy choice is Manu or Tony. Age hasn't been as kind to Manu as it has been to Tim. Tony may just keep sucking.
Considering how Manu plays, I think it's amazing how long and how well he's played. It's really rare you find a 2 guard playing until they are 38+ years old and still contributing on a championship caliber team.

SupremeGuy
10-19-2015, 04:15 PM
If parker regresses anymore and pop continues to start him and give him heavy minutes, we're so fucked. For the love of God I hope it's not parker.

The homer in me really wants to say "fuck this thread, everyone will be back and better than ever."

Gun to my head? I might actually go with Timmy, tbh. I mean, he can't be an all star level player forever can he? :wow

Kidd K
10-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Ginobili is the obvious choice since he's already been slipping down for awhile. I expect another injury that will derail his season.

West isn't going to put up his typical numbers of course but there will be a variety of factors as to why (such as moving to a new team and getting less playing time).

kaji157
10-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Diaw and Parker already regressed last year, i hope the donīt regress any more.
I expect solid campaigns from Manu and Tim.
I am going with Booner or Butler because i wonīt care.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Ginobili is the obvious choice since he's already been slipping down for awhile. I expect another injury that will derail his season.

West isn't going to put up his typical numbers of course but there will be a variety of factors as to why (such as moving to a new team and getting less playing time).
but unlike in other years (2009 for instance) we could still have a fighter's chance at the championship if he sustained a season-ending type of injury... kyle anderson would take his role, and while he doesn't have the experience and isn't as good of a shooter, it just means that Kawhi and Danny would have to suck it up and play more tbh

SAGirl
10-20-2015, 01:51 PM
I don't expect regressions from anyone except Bonner. The team got fresh blood and there are other guys to relieve the burden on the older guys in the team. Some guys will have reduced roles so statistically you could say the regressed, but the quality of their play will pass the visual test, and you will realize they are just doing things differently and maybe deferring or passing more to younger guys.

YGWHI
10-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Another? Manu was healthy last season. Also, he has looked so good in the preaseason.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Let's hope Parker continues to play at a high level. Mills is only good for spot minutes and mccallum sucks.

apalisoc_9
10-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Outside Porker I say Green.

Sup mike

YGWHI
10-20-2015, 10:11 PM
And fuck Matt Bonner.
Unbelievable...he's still on the team.

Mikeanaro
10-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Sup mike
Sup Apo, watched the game can you believe everytime the Pork plays our team lose like hell?

Kidd K
10-21-2015, 01:51 AM
Another? Manu was healthy last season. Also, he has looked so good in the preaseason.

I'm not sure why you think last season of 22 MPG means much when he has a very long history of injuries.

Kidd K
10-21-2015, 01:56 AM
but unlike in other years (2009 for instance) we could still have a fighter's chance at the championship if he sustained a season-ending type of injury... kyle anderson would take his role, and while he doesn't have the experience and isn't as good of a shooter, it just means that Kawhi and Danny would have to suck it up and play more tbh

As much as I wish that were true, imo we still don't have a legitimately good playmaker outside of Parker and Ginobili. And I don't trust either one to carry the entire load if the other goes down. Aside from Duncan we can afford to lose any other player more than either of them imo. And I'm including LMA and Leonard. Great players but we could manage. Losing primary ballhandler/playmaker? Mills can't pick up that slack and Leonard/Green certainly couldn't. That's not their game at all.

Our offense would be a shell of itself without those guys. . .we did nothing to replace Manu.

LakerHater
10-21-2015, 01:59 AM
West, jus cuza less minutes.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-21-2015, 09:14 AM
As much as I wish that were true, imo we still don't have a legitimately good playmaker outside of Parker and Ginobili. And I don't trust either one to carry the entire load if the other goes down. Aside from Duncan we can afford to lose any other player more than either of them imo. And I'm including LMA and Leonard. Great players but we could manage. Losing primary ballhandler/playmaker? Mills can't pick up that slack and Leonard/Green certainly couldn't. That's not their game at all.

Our offense would be a shell of itself without those guys. . .we did nothing to replace Manu.
without LMA we're 1st round fodder like last year tbh

sasaint
10-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Actually, I believe we brought in Simmons as a potential Manu replacement. Unfortunately that doesn't appear likely at this point, so we are without anybody to take the Tony/Manu playmaking role. As for "legitimately good playmaker" we might disagree, but I think Kyle will fill that bill. But he is clearly a playmaker in a completely different mode than Tony o Manu, and reliance on him and/or Boris as principal playmakers would completely alter the complexion of the offense. It is hard to re-tool an offense on the fly, even for Pop and the Spurs. Having to pin our success on having both Tony and Manu healthy for most of the season without a legitimate backup is stressful to us fans - and probably more so for PATFO. I expect us to pick up a waived veteran in the early part of the season to shore up the position. As much as I have rooted for him, I am afraid that Simmons has played himself off the roster.

SAGirl
10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Actually, I believe we brought in Simmons as a potential Manu replacement. Unfortunately that doesn't appear likely at this point, so we are without anybody to take the Tony/Manu playmaking role. As for "legitimately good playmaker" we might disagree, but I think Kyle will fill that bill. But he is clearly a playmaker in a completely different mode than Tony o Manu, and reliance on him and/or Boris as principal playmakers would completely alter the complexion of the offense. It is hard to re-tool an offense on the fly, even for Pop and the Spurs. Having to pin our success on having both Tony and Manu healthy for most of the season without a legitimate backup is stressful to us fans - and probably more so for PATFO. I expect us to pick up a waived veteran in the early part of the season to shore up the position. As much as I have rooted for him, I am afraid that Simmons has played himself off the roster.
I agree with you in everything here. Kyle is a legit playmaker, but he's new to the team. Even Pop is still learning how to use him, IMO that is why Pop said Kyle will play a variety of positions for the team during the regular season (a good idea to also get him playing time if he's doing well). But anyways, he's new, like a rookie basically. Last year he played little and he wasn't integrated into the team. What he does, or can do, is a new element. He's also tall, an advantage for some things, but also makes it so that you don't want him to be your main ballhandler. It will take Kyle's game another season to flourish. I am counting this one as a growth and learning process for him.

Still, playmaking is a need and that is his strength. Simmons is not the answer. He needs to develop his ballhandling skills, and improve in many areas of his game.

spursistan
11-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Thus far, it is Green by a big margin..I just fear the DG' attempt to expand his playing tools in the summer has inadvertently muddled his thought process as to what he is most expert at: 3 and D..Him putting the ball on the floor for a midrange/floater/dribbling in traffic/ instead of launching a half-contested 3 is just cringe-worthy sequence..

exstatic
11-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Thus far, it is Green by a big margin..I just fear the DG' attempt to expand his playing tools in the summer has inadvertently muddled his thought process as to what he is most expert at: 3 and D..Him putting the ball on the floor for a midrange/floater/dribbling in traffic/ instead of launching a half-contested 3 is just cringe-worthy sequence..

He doesn't have a choice. They're either playing beside him or run him off the line. He has to either penetrate or give up the ball.

Stabula
11-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Patty is off to a terrible start as well. I'm confident both guys will pick it up by March tbh